Marzocchi Bomber Z4 Front Shock

4.41/5 (71 Reviews)

Bomber Z4

Submitted by Seadog101 a Cross Country Rider from Durham, UK

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2010

Strengths:    Simple, strong, straight forward

Weaknesses:    Little adjustability

Bottom Line:
This fork, I kid you not, was fitted to my bike in 2001.

The only thing I have done to them is adjust the air the pressure to get me the right feel.

They have never leaked, squeaked, gurgled or moaned. I've ridden lots on these forks and they have never let me down

At only 83mm of travel you are never going to hit the big stuff with this fork. But if you want a fork that will just keep on running without any fuss or bother, then this is the one. OK they are no longer available, but if you are looking for a fork which you will simply fit and forget, then this is the one.

Compression damping is altered by changing the oil weight, but I've never even changed the oil, as it's fine by me.

The details:
-Open Bath Adjustable SSV Valving
-Lo-pressure Air
-Cryofit Boltless Crown
-MAG Powerwrap M-Arch
-Rebound Adjusters - (internal job)
-30mm Alloy Stanchions
-Weight: 4.0lbs [incl. Easton steertube]

Favorite Trail:   Hamsterley and the Moors

Purchased At:   Evans Cycles, Waterl

Similar Products Used:   Nil

Bike Setup:   Aliuminium Hardtail (Orange O2), cross country, tracks and trails.

Submitted by robmax a Downhiller from Dublin, Ireland

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2009

Strengths:    Simple, strong FAIRLY supple fork. Pretty much nothing to go wrong in them.

Weaknesses:    Dire lack of adjustment ability. All you can do is adjust air pressures and more than likely have oil piss all over you through the shraeder valves while you do so.

Bottom Line:
Prob dirt cheap if you find them anywhere and a pretty solid fork giving 100mm of usable travel just dont expect any miracles. Prior to this era everything was pretty much coil and elastomer so these arent exactly the cutting edge by todays standards

Favorite Trail:   Crank it up, Whistler

Purchased At:   Chainreactioncycles

Similar Products Used:   Before these it was RST mozo pro 3.5" which were rubbish. Now its Corsa WC's for XC and 66rcv's for DH

Bike Setup:   DMR trailstar, lx groupy, either Z1 dropoffs, pikes, or AM's depending on the day. Hope hubs, D21's, enduro 4 discs, DMR finishing kit.
BeOne team replica, XT groupy, Corsa WC 2008 forks, carbon finishing kit.

Submitted by Hitman a Weekend Warrior from Graham WA

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2006

Strengths:    [Oil an Coil] Incredibly well built fork. This thing even held itself together, somehow, for months of pretty hardcore riding when I unwittingly removed the brake bosses (for looks). Note: on the model I have the V-brake bosses are supposedly integral to the fork and connect the arch to the legs.

Weaknesses:    did I mention that the brake bosses hold this thing togeter

Bottom Line:
These things can take a beating and keep on breathing. I just purchased a "new" 01 Junior T (wanted standard axles)that has yet to arrive but I think I'll keep the Z4 around as a backup or just to swap in and out depending on the trail of the day. This isn't the best fork out there but if you can find one for a reasonable price I'd have to recommend picking one up.

Purchased At:   Came with frame

Similar Products Used:   Manitou, Rock Shox, RST

Bike Setup:   03 Rocky Mountain Edge everything upgraded

Submitted by Martin a Cross Country Rider from Dallas, TX

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2005

Strengths:    Smooth, responsive, durable

Weaknesses:    weight?

Bottom Line:
Great fork, I got it in 2001 with my current bike. Great all around, fairly stiff, not too heavy. Had an entire summer doing urban rides. 3-4 foot drops regularly, no sweat. Never had a leak or any other problems. Seems to be the best fork I've ever had, should go strong for another few years. If you find one, check it out.

Favorite Trail:   Grapevine

Similar Products Used:   other suspension forks

Bike Setup:   kona muni-mula w/ goodies

Submitted by Adam Fenner a Weekend Warrior from Bath / Bristol England

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2004

Strengths:    Plush, smooth, adjustable, easy to service.

Weaknesses:    Slight flex, or is that my bar's, or maybe my stem..

Bottom Line:
As I have been spending too much recently, I was looking for a middle of the road bargain, so I checked my normal source of bargains, took the risk, and an E-bayer, has realy sorted me out. I usualy prefer a solid bike with no sus, but I thought it might be good for the forest trials, as my front wheel is bouncing from root to root. I pumped these up hard, so they only realy kick in on the bigger bumps, but dont boing all over when pedaling.
Love them they look realy good and have proved to be strong and reliable, I will pass on the advice I was given - Get Marziconi's rather than Manitou etc, but if you can save up go for Pace or White Bro's. As Im not looking for 10" downhillers my Z4 / Z1's are perfect for the job.

Favorite Trail:   Dragons Nostril - Smokin

Purchased At:   E-Bay

Similar Products Used:   Zoom Pogo
Judys

Bike Setup:   Hansome Dawg Trials setup.

Submitted by Rodney Davis a Racer from Sydney

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2003

Strengths:    This fork is absolutely great. Its weight is considerably light when aspects such as performance and strength are combined. This fork feels very very light on the trails and in the air. It has the ability to adjust to different types or rides, and its feel on the trails are killer. The ratio of weight to performance is un describable

Weaknesses:    None - great product, their older forks perform much better than the newer forks.

Bottom Line:
If u have the chance to try this forks, or even buy them i wouldnt think twice about it. I managed to get a good deal on them, and i'm so glad i made the desicion to buy these forks. If u're looking into buying these forks u're making a right choice, just look at all the reviews that this fork has had and look at how good they are rated.
I wish Marzocchi had continued making the Z4 series cuz they are killer forks at a great price, great weight and great performance.
I give it 5 chillis for everythin. WHy? Cuz this fork has done wonders, its great and if these forks some how died on me, i'd be looking around to buying another pair.

I actually give this fork 100000 flamin chillis, but it doens't hav ethe option :P

Purchased At:   private sale

Similar Products Used:   Manitau Mars, Manitau x-vert, TRIALED dj1 (heavy, heavy, bad quality much rather go the z5 or z4 series because of its weight and the way it feels)

Bike Setup:   Stinky Frame with my own components, the z4's make this bike!!

Submitted by Krzysztof K a Cross Country Rider from New York

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2003

Strengths:    Good progressive action, look cool.

Weaknesses:    Keep breaking. Lost all my travel -- bad seals? Rebuilt. Now, oil busts forth from between the brace and the fork legs. Never have these problems with my '01 Judy SL.

Bottom Line:
Maybe I've just got a lemon but everything else being equal I'd go with the Judy SL. I also weigh 200lbs so that may be a contributing factor...

Favorite Trail:   Chimney Rock

Purchased At:   stock w/ KHS Alite 3000

Similar Products Used:   Judy SL, XC, TT, Manitou Six. Judy SL is the best fork I've used yet for the freeride/XC mix I put it through.

Bike Setup:   Was KHS Alite 3000; changed frame to Rigid One.

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from SLC. UT, USA

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2003

Strengths:    Very strong and reliable, light 3.5 lbs

Bottom Line:
For you heavy guys you need an awesome fork, I weigh in at 260 lbs and this fork has no flex and can handle the beating. Of course you need more travel for other than precision turning on XC if you are attacking the drops.

Favorite Trail:   Da Bomb

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Judy TT, SID, BLACK

Bike Setup:   2002 Trek 4500, with all new front end

Submitted by John Weber a Racer from Buckhannon WV USA

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2003

Strengths:    Ability to take big and small hits, steering quality amazing, bob under control.

Weaknesses:    Weight a bit too much.

Bottom Line:
I was very disappointed to get a 3.8lb fork to replace my 3.2lb mars. However, once i put air in the fork and went for a ride my disappointment was lost. This is probably the best riding fork I have ever been on. It can handle a wide variety of terrain and just pave it for you. The fork is plush and really has BOB under control, no need to worry about locking the fork out, GREAT!! I did not even need to spend time tuning it in. It makes me want this fork on a diet as 3.8lbs is just too heavy for racing by my standards but it can go to 100mm by adding shorter rebound springs. Now if I could only get somewhere that stocks these springs. This fork is for anybody that wants to go off road and tackle some cross country riding or racing for that matter it will take big and small hits better than you would thik.

Favorite Trail:   Slatyfork and other ones with dirt

Purchased At:   Performance on warranty replacement

Similar Products Used:   This replaced a Mars Super, SID, Noleen, Judy, SxR,

Bike Setup:   2003 Sugar 2+ at 24.5lbs all custom set-up for racing and riding.

Submitted by Dave Pugh from Mission, B.C., Canada

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2003

Strengths:    Great Feel, Wide arrange of ajustibility, Looks great and wont break the bank.

Weaknesses:    Make sure they're pumped WAY up or they'll bottom out easily

Bottom Line:
Wicked deal if you can pick em up cheap like i did. I upgraded from RST's which i was doing 6 foot drops to flat and im still tweaking the shock little by little so it feels good enough to do big stuff.. Good Confidence Booster!

Favorite Trail:   Urban Freeriding

Purchased At:   Used

Similar Products Used:   Z1 Wedge, Dirtjumper I, Rock Shox Judys

Bike Setup:   Giant Warp DS2, Z4 Flylite Air, XT components, DH bars and stem.

Submitted by cameron from toronto, canada

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2002

Strengths:    good at first.

Weaknesses:    oil leaked everywhere, air leaked, shock pumps are expensive and break all the time.

Bottom Line:
frequent oil leaks, frequent air leaks etc it just sucked

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   a shop

Similar Products Used:   a rock shox

Bike Setup:   who cares

Submitted by Jay a Downhiller from Ore

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2002

Strengths:    Not to plush not to stiff, looks good

Weaknesses:    Very flexy, the worst is that my disc mount tabs broke off.

Bottom Line:
Besides the tabs braking off the fork worked great, and there was some flex but not enough to notice a lot. Get a DJ 1 or 2 instead if you can afford it, if not get these, Oh Yeah, Marzocchi is slow as hell on warranting their stuff.

Favorite Trail:   Urban/Dirt Jumps

Purchased At:   A Shop

Similar Products Used:   Manitou, white Bros.

Bike Setup:   Trek bruiser two(frame cracked cause of the force of the disc brakes, SUCKS ASS!!!!!!)Profile cranks, 26" stock front wheel and a 24 inch sun BFR on the back, avid mech on the back shimano deore hydro up front, Irc Kujo's, snafu pedals

Submitted by Kyle Pennell a Downhiller from Whatcom, Washington

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2002

Strengths:    Plush without being too soft, very good fork.

Weaknesses:    uh...the tubes just snapped today, this fork is tough but if you're jumping then hold out for a dirtjumper 2 for a little more price. Unless it's stock

Bottom Line:
Great fork, just not tough enough for a bigtime dirtjumper