Marzocchi 99 Z-1 BAM Front Shock

4.77/5 (30 Reviews)

99 Z-1 BAM

Submitted by dd a Weekend Warrior from ontario

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2006

Bottom Line:
amazzing fork loved it but i didnt want to buy new seals for it so i got a nbew one

Submitted by Jesse Jesse's last name a Weekend Warrior from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2003

Strengths:    smooth, stiff, reliable, simple.

Weaknesses:    Had to loosen all bolts and realign wheel after first use - oh well :).

Bottom Line:
I just retired this fork after 3+ years of hammering. The finish on the stanction tubes was wearing off. It's too bad too because I fealt my bike was perfect as it was with this fork - the new Z1 is taller. It required about 3 oil seal changes over this time - none blown just PM. Oil every 8 months as well. If you are on a budget I'd recommend you pick one up used. Really sad to see mine go.

Favorite Trail:   shhhhh.....

Purchased At:   don't remember.

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Headshock, AMP F4 BLT (junk)

Bike Setup:   Titus Quasi Moto (strong, good), usual stuff.

Submitted by Doug Brummett a Weekend Warrior from Santa Cruz

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2002

Strengths:    Good esthetics, easy adjustments, easy to rebuild and maintain, strong enough for free riding

Weaknesses:    None that I have personally experienced

Bottom Line:
Great fork. I traded my used Z-2s for it about 2.5 years ago. Guess I got a sweet deal, but they were too much travel for the other guy.

I have replaced the seals on the fork either 3 or 4 times. Never had them go out on me, just did it to keep the fork smooth. I have changed the oil every 4-8 months as well. After 2 years I replaced the bushings, but could have rode them longer as well. I can't say anything negative about working on these forks. Very easy to maintain.

And the ride...
I have enjoyed the ride on these plenty in the time I had them. Never gave me any issues when swapping from one frame to another. I can't say that I spend much time tinkering with the damping. I just ride. These forks have remained plush and stiff for years. Riding anything from dirt jumps to full DH and mostly XC between. I never had a failure or even a dissapointment.

After riding these for 2.5 years I turned around and still pulled over $100 back out of them on the used market. Buyer was happy and with Marzocchi employee purchase it paid for about half of my new fork. Sweet...

Favorite Trail:   Anything in Santa Cruz

Similar Products Used:   Tried just about every fork on the market as a mechanic on test rides. Personally have rode Z-2 BAM, Judy DH, and now own a Dirt Jumper.

Bike Setup:   I used this fork with three different bikes thus far: SC Heckler, SC Chameleon, and an Uzzi SL

Submitted by Efren a Weekend Warrior from San Juan, Manila, Philippines

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2002

Strengths:    Biiiiiig travel for a single crown fork! Plush action and infinite adjustability.

Weaknesses:    Some say the weight is a problem, but it doesn't bother me.

Bottom Line:
Before anything else let me point out that I come from the Philippines! Where the exchange rate is roughly 50 Pesos to 1 US Dollar and the average salary here is about 10,000 bucks a month, the price of a Z1 here roughly costs around $175 to $225, depending on where you get it. So you do the math on the economics thingy!!!

Bottom line is, if your the type of guy who looks forward to seeing open manholes on the street to bunny-hop over, or ledges that lead to 4 foot drops on sidewalks and let's not forget staircases to ride down. Then this is your fork! It's the do-all-I-can-get-the-most-bang-for-my-buck-type-of-fork! The best mate for a freeride hardtail! Although there are a slew of new 5 incher forks out on the market. I still luv my Z1, we've been engaged for more than 3 years now. (Longer than some relationships I'd had...)

Favorite Trail:   Streets of Makati

Similar Products Used:   RST Mozo Pro, RST High 5, Marzocchi Jr. T, Cannondale Lefty, Cannondale Ultra, Rock Shox Psylo, Rock Shox SID, DNM UD Downhill Fork. Etc... Etc... (I'm lucky to have a lot of biker friends!)

Bike Setup:   "Guess" (or so the sticker says) freeride / slalom hard tail.
Z1 fork.
SRAM 8 speed Plasma shifter and XTR rear mech.
Truvative Hussefelt DH cranks with ISIS drive bottom bracket.
Truvative Version 2 chainguide.
Azonic PDW handle bars.
Shimano Deore Disk Brakes (2002 Hydraulic)
XT Disk Compatible hubs.
Mavic 121 rims (they may be old but damn good!)
Some Taiwan rip-off of an Azonic Stem.
Chris King Headset.
Kore flat pedals.
Kujo DH 2.25 tires.

Submitted by Lewis a Downhiller from Rugeley, Midlands, UK

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2002

Strengths:    Coil sprung, oil damped, plush and smoove marzocchi action.

Weaknesses:    The previous owner snapped the bam arch brace, and replaced it with a laser cut steel one which makes it 10 times stiffer horizontally than my mates 2002 z1 dropoff

Bottom Line:
Cant knock 'em for 120 notes really. Mine have got Junior T seals and 10wt motocross oil as well as the steel arch. This fork has increased my confidence and speed on the trails tenfold. I tried a four foot drop the day i had them and they didnt even bottom out. Soooo smoove. If you're thinkin about gettin sum 2001 or 2002 Z1's then ask about first and see if u can pick sum pre-loved ones up for half the price. Great for every rider except perhaps the really weight conscious XC rider like me dad.

Favorite Trail:   Cannock chase

Purchased At:   a mate

Similar Products Used:   2002 Z1 Dropoff, 2001 Z1 MCR, 2000 Z3 BAM, RST 281 (a bit poopoo), Suntour dual crowns (very poopoo)

Bike Setup:   Unbranded black hardtail frame, with D521, Planet X DMR and Shimano finishing kit.

Submitted by Tyler a Cross Country Rider from Cambridge MA

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2002

Strengths:    durable and predictable

Weaknesses:    a bit heavy but theh goods outweight the bads by a mile

Bottom Line:
I have worked in shops for years and rebult more shokes than I care to recall, and the thing I love the most about this fork is that I've had to change the oil 2x and the seals once, In almost 4 years! Top that. I ride a ton ahd have lived and ridden in MOab, Flaggstaff, and all over the East coast. Trips to NC, CO, CA, OR, and this fork rocks all over. I realize that there have been great forks out since then and they weight less, but I'd rather grow old next to a fork than have to get used to new ones. DUribility is king!

Favorite Trail:   Hunter to Pritchet (Moab)

Purchased At:   Youngs Bike Shop (EP deal)

Similar Products Used:   Manatou EFC, SID, Fatty

Bike Setup:   CD Beast of the East

Submitted by Nick a Weekend Warrior from Bay City, MI

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2001

Strengths:    Everything. I love the fork, super plush, CANT BOTTOM IT OUT! Will take anything you can throw at it. I have done 6.5 foot drops to pavement (flat) landing on my nose on a hardtail and I couldnt even bottom it. I will swear on this fork for the rest of my life. Buy it, and buy it now.

Weaknesses:    The only thing is that I cracked the crown, only because I had sold my friend a z.3, but when I bought the z.1, the sterrer wasnt long enough, and It wasnt removeable. So I traded my friend crowns, the the z.3 crown isnt meant for drops, so eventually it cracked. But other than that, there is NO WEAKNESSES!!!

Bottom Line:
The fork fricking rocks. Buy it, u will never need another fork. Mine has 130mm travel, and I couldnt ask for more. Its the best fork, in my opinion, ever produced.

Favorite Trail:   HUGE DROPS

Purchased At:   EBAY BABY!

Similar Products Used:   99 Z.3 Light, Manitou Magnum r, Some RST's...

Bike Setup:   I hope it will be like this after xmas: Mongoose Pro dx 4.0 frame, sun rhynolite rear, xtr rear der with deore front, Race Face northshore xs cranks, LX shifters, titec bar & stem.

Submitted by James a Weekend Warrior from N. Van

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2001

Strengths:    super plush
the feel matches my rear perfectly (yeti dh4)
metal knobs which don't break

Weaknesses:    I've got a QR20, laced to a rhynolite, and I can still feel quite a bit of flex in the fork, I also get a little "kink" sound every once in a while, usually when i first get on my bike and get over the fork. almost sounds like my headset is loose, but it's not.
maybe my bushings are just loose, which might explain the sloppy feeling steering.
also, you have to buy a seperate after-sale disc mount, which is WAY to expensive for what it is, I payed like $30CDN or something...

Bottom Line:
I would buy it again...
suits my bike perfectly.

Submitted by john charles from phoenix,az

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2001

Strengths:    bombproof works like a motorcycle fork change the oil once a year good as new! chew's up everthing on the trail.

Weaknesses:    I could complain about the weight like everyone else but the
performance is soooo worth it!

Bottom Line:
if you want top quality & the best suspension fork money can
buy this is it! so you have to eat ramen every day for a couple of months to save up for it but once you get it on your bike & see how awesome the performance is you'll relize
that ramen did'nt taste that bad after all.

Favorite Trail:   national

Purchased At:   lombardis sports

Similar Products Used:   rock shox-manitou-rst

Bike Setup:   GT i drive 1000 race face full xtr

Submitted by Lem a Downhiller from UK

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2001

Strengths:    It makes you feel invincible! It is sooo stupidly plush! Looks the bomb in yellow on my purple Kona! BAM brace looks so much more hardcore than the 2001 Marzocchis!

Weaknesses:    I heard them creaking, on further inspection the stanchion bolts were loose. Check these regularly, you'll be fine.

Bottom Line:
This fork is THE BEST BUY ONE. I got £200 off mine which was pretty cool. They make lumps feel like they are not there, and are amazing for jumping and duel.

Favorite Trail:   Longmoor DH Course

Purchased At:   Terrain

Bike Setup:   Kona Lavadome, D521 CD's, DMR V8's etc.

Submitted by J to the K a Downhiller from B-ham, Washington

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2000

Strengths:    This fork is the bomb. It makes mmy hardtail feel like an F/S!! This is because it is plush, smooth, has five five five inches of travel, adjustable in so many ways, meaty, looks smooth in the polished version. In my opinion the 99's are better than the 2000s due to the brake arch,- which is stiffer, replaceable and all machinened out.

Weaknesses:    yeah yeah i'll complain about the 'weight' too - but this is the minimmun mass your gonna EVER get out of a durable five inch travel fork, you winers. Plus four pounds is equal to that burrito you ate before the ride. Due to the long travel my Z-1 is getting a little loose in the bushings. They probably need to be replaced about now. Sucks that marrzzochi still doesent understand that fork boots save your fork from the mud and other nasty things. The gold ano stanction tubes are oh so pretty, but they can get F@$ked up by the elements real fast. Earlier this year I was ridin this cement wall and lost my balence - the bike fell on the wall and scratched my stanctions. I was pissed to the point of yelling obscentities at polite canadian riders... - boots would of prevented all of this. Now one side leaks oil. I have been riding with the fork in this condition for quite a while and after polishing down the scratch and oil change, it rides better than any fork I have yet to feel - except for other zokes, of course!

Bottom Line:
drops, jumps, urban, xc, dh, freeride.... this fork does it all. Even after a year of riding all of that, its still smooth! I give this utinsel FIVE BADLY LIT JOINTS

Favorite Trail:   any NSX

Purchased At:   why doesen't mtbr list "freerider" in the option above?

Similar Products Used:   marzzochi Jr-T, Z-2 atom bomb, Rock sh@T Judy XC, SL, DH, manitou sx-r

Bike Setup:   kona chute, z1 bam, DH wheels, riser bars/stem, XT

Submitted by Keith F. a Weekend Warrior from Coutenay, BC Canada

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2000

Strengths:    Very plush
Very adjustable

Weaknesses:    Flexy

Bottom Line:
Comes with springs that are a little soft. For regular riding, fantastic. For higher speed they are flexy. You can change springs, oil weights, compression and rebound adjustments. Recommended for everone but high speed downhillers. For less flex get the QR 20.

Favorite Trail:   Two shieks & a dog

Purchased At:   Blacks Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Z1 Qr 20, 00 Boxxer

Bike Setup:   Raven 4000, Z1 Bam, Grimica system 8 discs, XT & Hugi hubs, Ryno Light rims, 900 cranks and BB( hollow & splined)Race Face post, Maxxis front, Rokko rear.

Submitted by Ken Mayes a Downhiller from Clinton, Ut, USA

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2000

Strengths:    gobs of travel, well built, tons of adjustability, good looks, disc brake mount

Weaknesses:    I won't mention flex-single crown, 5"? What do you expect?

Bottom Line:
This fork takes all the hits that I give it. I flat-landed a jump from 8' up, right down on the front forks, and it didn't even lose oil. I weigh about 150lb, so you figure it out. I repeatedly take this off of 4-5ft drops, and this fork makes my ride feel like it has 5" in the back (it's a hardtail) congrats to Zoke for making a killer fork.

Favorite Trail:   Devo DH (deer valley ut)

Purchased At:   Pricepoint.com

Similar Products Used:   Most of the manitou and rockshox crap

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher hartail frame, Hayes 8" discs, zoke 5", Azonic parts

Submitted by Stu Miller a Weekend Warrior from Littleton, CO

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2000

Strengths:    Low maintenance
5 inch travel
Smooth on stutters or drops

Bottom Line:
Just completed 1st replacement of wipers & seals. I was getting significant oil build up on the stancion tubes on every ride. I was amazed at how simple the fork is when completely apart. The oil was disgustingly black from contamination but I never would have known until I opened it up.

Replacing the seals is a nerve racking task only because they are in there realy tight. Marzocchi has a tool to help but you end up prying out the seals either way. I was able to get replacement seals & wippers at a pricey $9 each from my LBS. I didn't want to spend $18 on 16oz of Marzocchi extra virgin 7.5 weight shock oil. I replaced the oil with $9 per liter Bel Ray 7.0 weight motorcycle shock oil from the local Honda dealer. Works great!

I'll ride this fork until it dies and then some more. Then I'll buy another Marzocchi because the others are toys in comparison.