Manitou X-Vert R 98 Front Shock

Weight : 4.6 lbs MSRP : $559.95

Answer Manitou X-Vert R 98

Submitted by Mike a Downhiller from Brookline,MA

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2002

Strengths:    Freeride worthy,nice quality,small play,durable.

Weaknesses:    Not enought travel for real downhill.

Bottom Line:
Very good freeride fork,will last if you take care of it.

Purchased At:   ebay used

Similar Products Used:   spyder,judy,psylo,others

Bike Setup:   Custom freeride KHS FXT TEAM.

Submitted by jooooode a Cross Country Rider from san diego ca usa

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2001

Strengths:    old tec,good entry level at the time,

Weaknesses:    top crown bolt striped ,cracked then broke,Old design,old style,

Bottom Line:
it was a good fork for about a year then declined fast ,.
i still ride it today .

Favorite Trail:   MARTHAS GROVE

Purchased At:   came with 98FSR ELITE

Similar Products Used:   Im looking at the 2001 jr t

Bike Setup:   98 fsr with bering kit

Submitted by Spanker a Downhiller from Canberra

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2001

Strengths:    Sexy Looks, MANGO!!!!

Weaknesses:    Those Knob thingys are hard to turn. (yes, KNOB thingys)

Bottom Line:
Good value for money, and all thoses other reviewers must ride like FREAKIN GORILLAS. So there

Favorite Trail:   Blue Range

Purchased At:   Sumwhere

Similar Products Used:   Jett T2 ( Hang on, thats not similar)

Bike Setup:   Avanti Moto Pro, Xverts, Rock Shox coupe delux, Azonic Double walls, Kore Stem

Submitted by Harhar har a Weekend Warrior from zwolle, the Netherlands

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2001

Strengths:    their stiff, and they hold op for my abuse, easy to service

Weaknesses:    the short steering angle

Bottom Line:
their work good, you can feel the damping work, but not so smooth as marzocchi, they do bottom out on big jumps but you do not feel that really, just two weeks ago I had the outerpart replaced because there was a tear in the brake arch, and that cost me just $ 70 and they even serviced the fork for that, so I can abuse i again.... and even because of the short steering angle I will give 5 chillies because you do not notice that in FR or DH

Similar Products Used:   not realy

Submitted by Freak from Home

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2001

Strengths:    -light
-looks(?)

Weaknesses:    -bottoms out all the time even thought the oil level is at maximum
-breaks very easily
-lack of travel
-adjuster knobs fall or get stuck
-looks(?)

Bottom Line:
This fork brings you some big problems and gives you an ultimate headache. It breaks very, very easily.
Please do me a favor and do not buy this fork! (unless you are a real softcore rider who just wants to have a nice-looking fork and doesn´t mind the lack of quality)

Similar Products Used:   Monster, Z1 Drop Off, Z5 flylight air, Boxxer, ...

Submitted by Harhar har a Weekend Warrior from Zwolle, the Netherlands

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2001

Strengths:    strong, stiff, dusn't bottem out
good spring rate, good dampening
good to maintain

Weaknesses:    none whatso ever

Bottom Line:
this is a good fork, iv'e had no problems with it,
only for some people the turning rate would be slow

Favorite Trail:   Willingen, Germany

Similar Products Used:   rockshox xl 98

Bike Setup:   Mountain Cycle San Andreas
This fork, Sram 9.0 (9.0sl shifters)
mavic 521 rims, roox xc cracks

Submitted by Peter from Baltimore, Maryland, USA

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2000

Strengths:    good with small bumps, always smooth, never gets stuck, low maintenence, easy to remove wheels

Weaknesses:    doesnt bottom out much, bobs a little

Bottom Line:
I think it is a good all around shock, it can absorb small bumps, and is great with big bumps. Allows riding to be much easier and more controlled. Very nice when going downhill. It is a little overpriced, but i got mine with my bike so it was a good deal. It bobs when going up hills and the travel is a little on the short side.

Similar Products Used:   sid sl, judy xl, fatty d (headshock), judy xc

Bike Setup:   i have the x-vert r on my trek y-glide deluxe(full)

Submitted by waveyd a Downhiller from Perth, Western Australia

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2000

Strengths:    Adjustability
Damping
stiffness

Weaknesses:    Have seen a dropout snap off a 99 xvert.

Bottom Line:
I set it up right in the first week of ownership, service it every couple of months, Fitted brake booster to front Magura. I increased the compression damping after bottoming harshly in DH practice, was fine for race runs. finished 2nd expert 99 WA DH season. Put on Shimano front disk with simple adapter for top mount. I looked after it and set it up right and I didn't have any problems with this fork. Soon upgrading to a 2001 Jnr T

Favorite Trail:   Baden Powel Downhill

Purchased At:   Fleet Cycles (when it was good)

Similar Products Used:   Z1, Z4, Monster T, 98 boxxer, 97 judy DH

Bike Setup:   98 Giant ATX980 6inch rear.

Submitted by Blake Terzini from Rochester, NY

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2000

Strengths:    Stiff, relatively light (compared to my options at the time...), nice sping rate.

Weaknesses:    Short steertube(got it off a demo bike), not enough clamp clearance

Bottom Line:
It Works well. It was a nice change to the SX I was riding before(try 4'drops w/2.75" travel!!!) I have heard that the adjusters don't work(in various magazines and here), however I havefound that mine had a perfect range. Also, many people complain about the spring rate, I don't think they keep in mind that the stock setup is meant for riders in the 140lbs range. If you can find one without a cut steertube, they are great.

Favorite Trail:   Mt. Arai, Japan

Purchased At:   Green Mounatin Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Xvert 2000

Bike Setup:   Jamis Dakota(98)

Submitted by King from Vancouver

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2000

Bottom Line:
I bought this fork used. I got a good deal and it had not been ridden very much at all.

I think for the price I paid... $150.00US, it was a great deal.
I have blown two MCU's and busted all the upper internals on the compression side... That was from a six foot drop that I didn't land very well.
Anyway, I think the fork is pretty good.

I have had great service from Answer... " Dave Brown "

Bottom line:
If you are not too hard on a fork and you have an average weight... You'll love this fork.
I think the new Manitous are pretty kick ass!

Submitted by Rob Brown a Downhiller from Orange Co., CA

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2000

Strengths:    looks, value, easy to maintain, stiff

Weaknesses:    stock springs and elastomers, bad turning radius, cheesy plasic adjustment knobs, triple clamp on upper crown is very thin and tears if you remove and replace it too often.

Bottom Line:
This is a great fork if you do a couple of things to it. It felt too spongy when I first got it. I got the Mountain Speed spring kit (firm) and replaced the stock oil with 5 wt. The kit replaces the stock spring and elastomers with a longer spring and pvc spacer. It a totally diferent fork now. Nice and active. I did break the magneseum lowers in the first year, but Manitou replaced them and they've held up ever since. I've just tried the new White Bros. DS3 98MM triple clamp fork and they are awsome, so I'm switching to those, but my x-verts have served me well.

Favorite Trail:   Laguna Downhill

Similar Products Used:   Judy XL Triple, White Bros. DS3,

Bike Setup:   98' FSR Elite, XTR, Mavic 521, WTB Moto Raptor, Mountain Speed FSR bearing kit, X-vert R with Mountain Speed firm spring kit, 5 wt. oil

Submitted by Gun a Downhiller from Melbourne

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2000

Strengths:    light weight
looks

Weaknesses:    mud clearance
not strong
too soft

Bottom Line:
When i got these forks i thought that they were great. That was until i did a few downhill runs. Everyone says that their forks are stiff well these thing just bottom out all the time. Then after the first year of owning them the drop out on the left leg broke off. So, because it was after waranty i'm going to have to buy new lower legs at over $300. Maybe i got a bad fork or something. Who knows.

Favorite Trail:   Mt Buller

Similar Products Used:   Rst Delta XL 2000

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher

Submitted by Ross a Downhiller from Melbourne, Australia

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2000

Strengths:    fairly stiff, good suspension action. Takes the big and small hits well

Weaknesses:    doesnt last long. steering is S H I T H O U S E!!!!
Mud clearance is pretty C R A P.

Bottom Line:
for the first 6 months of freeriding and occasionally racing this fork, it was great. Good action, stiff, smoothed out the trails, kept the tyre firmly on the ground. Just what a fork should do.
After this time, the fork went from bad to worse. First it started to jiggle over small stutterry stuff. The the damping leg F U C K E D UP. Dont ask me what happened, the just froze up and gave me about 10mm of travel. I tried changing the oil, greasing the legs, checking the springs, evenning out the legs (the right leg tends to move up in the crown because of the springs being onlyu in that side), but nothiung worked. I am now stuck with forks that dont work and because of that i cant even sell them.
If you want a fork to last you 6 months of freeriding, go for it, its one of the best forks out there for that price and putpose. If you want something that will last, go for Marzochhis, they are by far the best forks on the market. My Z4s are better than my X-Vert R's.
Oh, and dont try putting a 2.7" tyre in these forks, they rub the brake mounts (stupid me hey?).

Bike Setup:   Avanti Moto Pro (its Australian and absolutely ROCKS!!!)

Submitted by Phil Clarke a Weekend Warrior from Edinburgh, UK

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2000

Strengths:    Stupidly light for the travel and performance
Stiff
Looks cool(ish)
Piss cheap (to me)
Easy to adjust
Strong (So far!)

Weaknesses:    Lack of steering lock (Only very occaisionally a problem)
Plastic threads will undoubtably break at some point
Mud clearance
Rebound adjuster went AWOL after first landing
Weirdo disc mounts
Loose bushings
Crap gaiters

Bottom Line:
I paid £150 for them a year ago which seems like a bargain to me. They went on my Heckler fine and matched the back very well. 3 weeks after purchase me and the bike accidently fell off a cliff and the sliders took all the impact - huge dent = zero movement. ATB sales, the UK importer are crap - they wont speak to you direct and seem to lead the dealers a dance as well. Took 3 months to get some new sliders which cost me a (discounted) £100 which makes the forks not as much as a bargain as I thought.
New sliders have grease ports which arent as good a thing as I expected - the grease just squirts up past the seals - plus the bushings are slightly to big causing movement between the sliders & stanchions which I havent been bothered to sort out. Looking down at the reviews i reckon I've been lucky - I suspected the plastic top caps would be crap but so far they have been fine - Just be real careful screwing them in..... They are now on my Patriot which has a 5" back end and they still are coping quite well
No bottom out smack like on bombers, not quite as smooth however, They seem fairly mud proof despite crap gaiters & severe Scottish weather! If I knacker them again I'll not bother ATB sales or manitou it'll be in the bin a by sumat else. I'm going to try to up the travel to 5" at some point if I can make up a new damper rod plus I've just painted them matt black to match my frame!!
If someone offers you a pair cheap second hand (sub £100)and your after some dual crowns without the weight penalty for a 4 or 5" back end I'd go for them but be prepared to bodge them up if they break......
130mm Z1s next methinks