Manitou Pro 97 Front Shock

3.67/5 (81 Reviews)

Manitou Pro 97

Submitted by Michael Langdon a Cross Country Rider from Orfordville, WI USA

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2003

Strengths:    Easy to maintain and adjust

Weaknesses:    There is clearly a defect. Manitou had the same problem with the Mach 5 and there should be a CPSC recall on these. Mine broke on the bottom of the right arch. It may have been cheap but cheap is never a substitute for unsafe. Manitou knows they are unsafe and should do something about it.

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is that it broke. It shouldn't. It should be recalled or at least everyone should be warned.

Favorite Trail:   Outdoor Lab

Purchased At:   Friend

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shock Psylo and Mag 21

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher supercalibre 1991

Submitted by Al Osorio a Cross Country Rider from Zurich, Switzerland

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2001

Strengths:    Price is right. I broke two RShox Judys in two years and bought this cheapo out of frustration. It is on its third and last season and may bobb like a 10 year old buick, but did a great job along the way. I am 195 pounds.

Weaknesses:    Like I said. After three years of use a chevy impala feels stiffer. A bit more travel would be nice.

Bottom Line:
Very unhappy with Rockshox and this manitou is bringing me back for more manitou. (I'll upscale this time and not be so cheap) Universalcycle.com is a great and often has year old or older stuff at BIG discounts.
If you ride a lot and don't mind not having the perfect fork, but good reliablity simple graphics. Then this one to seriously look at even if you are on the higher end of the weight scale.

Favorite Trail:   Engadin, Switzerland

Purchased At:   unversalcycles.com

Similar Products Used:   97 Judy is junk. Air canisters don't belong in my riding style.

Bike Setup:   GT Zaskar / Tioga Fact. XC /SRAM 9.0 brakes / Bontrager rims / XT Shifters and Derail.

Submitted by bike thrasher a Racer from Connecticut

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2000

Strengths:    relatively cheap, I've seen them on Supergo for $70

Weaknesses:    that's just it, it's weak

Bottom Line:
I actually bought two of these things. I installed Englund Air Cartridges on the first one and it worked great until it cracked at the arch in a downhill race. I thought it was just me, so I bought another pair of the exact same thing. About a year later, I rode off a ledge and they cracked in the exact same place. Now I've got Z-4 Bombers and they flex but they haven't cracked in half yet. If they do, I will say something. I'd still say the Manitous are good shocks though, but they're coming out with new and better stuff now so they only get three flamin chilis

Favorite Trail:   Silver Mountain

Purchased At:   Wheel Sport

Similar Products Used:   Marzocchi Z-4 Bomber, uh, DuoTrack back when I was a shmack

Bike Setup:   97 Trek Y-5

Submitted by Fast Eddie a Cross Country Rider from Hamilton Ma

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2000

Strengths:    Price,easy-matinance, looks

Weaknesses:    cheap travel and loose stearing

Bottom Line:
What you pay for is what you get with this fork. It is cheap, but works. The is nothing spectacular. If you do alot of harsh riding I would not recomend it (my brake arch snapped)but for you easygoing weekend warriors its a good bet.

Favorite Trail:   The Pipeline

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   Mach 5 + Judys

Bike Setup:   Access, w/ESP+LX

Submitted by Eric a Weekend Warrior from Miami, Fl

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2000

Strengths:    LIGHT LIGHT LIGHT!!! Weighed in under 3lbs I swear! Easy Maintenance, Good for light riders. Came on my Trek Y5

Weaknesses:    No Dampening, Seems flexy but i've never riden anything else

Bottom Line:
Pretty kick a$$ no frills shock. Rather old though, but can probably be found real cheap. This shock cam ewith my bike and i was looking to replace it, but i cleaned it out and it's plush as hell now, and since i weighed it i'm in love with it, UNDER 3LBS!!! WOOHOO. I live in Miami with nothing too extreme around here so I'm good to go.

Submitted by Don J a Downhiller from les gets; France

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2000

Strengths:    Great Price-Black color-low maint.

Weaknesses:    only 3" travel ?

Bottom Line:
Put Spring on right leg & is very plush now..Big caps are Preload adjusters using "c" clip-very reliable-- Maybe a little flex when bombing DH/ Very Good fork..Great $$ too

Favorite Trail:   poker

Similar Products Used:   Marzocchi Z4-Monster-T

Bike Setup:   Hardtail Kona--2.3 tires---

Submitted by Don Quioxte a Weekend Warrior from Middletown

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2000

Strengths:    cheap and and the mechanics are simple

Weaknesses:    cheap

Bottom Line:
If you're heavy then don't even consider this fork. I'm 205 and I constantly bottom out, even with Answer's "firm" kit installed. And my lbs said that nobody else makes springs for this for so I'm stuck with Answer's - ahhhh, I'm topped out. Otherwise, it's fairly sturdy, simple to maintain, and would be good for very light folks that don't feel like spending lots of cake. 4 hot turds for value, 3 luke-warm turds for performance and support.

Submitted by Mike S a Weekend Warrior from Knoxville, TN

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2000

Strengths:    Good price$ 135 inc. tax. Black/beefy look. low maintanance

Weaknesses:    no complaints

Bottom Line:
Screw all the high $$ air/oil leakers. I love low maint. no hassles stuff..It's 100% better than a rigid fork..I replaced one elastomer on each side with springs the same length from an Indy xc..that helps.light too..My steerer was too short,only 70% of my stem is on it..oh well?

Favorite Trail:   Tsali

Similar Products Used:   Indy xc--Marzocchi 4"--Monster-T--Kona rigid

Bike Setup:   Kona Kaboom SS--this fork

Submitted by Dave a Cross Country Rider from westport, Vermont

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2000

Weaknesses:    for 1 it sucks, I mean really sucks I had an old indy s that was better than this fork in quality and in feel. This product is a definate problem, I got the Manitou Pro C on a barracuda, they come standard on a bike like that. Man i have had my share of problems, they are stiff and not smooth acting and they have a problem with wqater and mud, the mud and water some how gets into the shock and messes up the inside. They also make wierd wierd sounds like grinding, havent figured them out to date.

Bottom Line:
BOTTOM LINE this is a very cheap shock which is poorly designed and Manitou knows it that is why it was discontinued.. I even ended up putting my old dependable Rock Socks indy S back on to the barracuda, which I am also looking to replace, for the frame is not what u would call reactive and makes wierd clicking sounds on the lower bottom triangle.NOW I RIDE SID'S THEY RULE

Submitted by Andy Sarbu a Downhiller from Wheaton, IL

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2000

Strengths:
Plush at first. Good for
the price. Good for
beginers and those who
don't know what ther
hell they're doing.

Weaknesses:
This crappy fork tops
out over every little
bump. Even when you do a
bunny hop. Also the
elastomer cartriges get
stuck in the fork and
you can't get them out.

Bottom Line:
If your one of the people who baught this fork
because of the good price, I know how you feel.
This fork sucks and I wouldn't recomend it to
anyone.

1 Year

Submitted by Spin Cycle a Racer from Moscow

Date Reviewed: November 17, 1999

Strengths:
Goes up and down when you go over bumps. Dependable.

Weaknesses:
Flexey, overdampenend, flexey, gets hard in the cold, flexey, customer support at manitou.

Bottom Line:
I loved this fork right up until I got rid of it for a SID XC. Then I learned what I was missing. Overall it worked out for me, but I thin that my SID feels a lot better. This is a pretty good budget fork, but dont pay more then 100 dollars for it. 5 stars for reliablility, -1 for manitous crappy support when I blew a dampening cartidge.

2 Years

'99 SID XC

Trek 8000, Full XT, Kore, Icon.

Submitted by tolli a Weekend Warrior from Germany

Date Reviewed: October 14, 1999

Strengths:
price
simplicity
looks

Weaknesses:
too much damping
not very responsive

Bottom Line:
This fork is ok. It isn't a top performer, but for my needs it performs well enough. I bought two Manitou Pro Cs in 1999. I paid 150$ (Spring 99) for the first one, the second one was 50$ cheaper (September 99). The one I bought in spring feels very similar to my 97 Judy DH fork (a little bit overdampened, and it could be more responsive) but the Judy was stiffer. The second one has a bit more stiction and doesn't perform as well as the first one. If you want a budget fork and have the chance to get one of Manitous Pro C (C means cartridge) for 100$ or less: Buy it.3 chilis (or whatever) for the performance, 5 for the price.

6 months

Judy DH 97
Manitou 3
RS Judy XL 98

RM Blizzard
Mavic221-rims/XT-hubs/Conti DoubleeFighter

Submitted by Jonathan Bright a Weekend Warrior from St. Louis, MO

Date Reviewed: September 5, 1999

Strengths:
great feel, durable

Weaknesses:
its no longer durable, the piece going over the tire(behind the brakes) broke today on a downhill jump

Bottom Line:
I have riden this shock hard, very hard, taken it on lots of jumps, rocks, downhills and spills. It has stood the test of time till now. If some one knows how easily this is replaced let me know. I would like to keep this shock. I think this shock is great for the money, and even if it did brake today it has given me miles and miles of fun and thrills. I only give it 4 because it broke. RIP.....

Chubb trail

2 Years

rock s(indy, jett, judy)
manitou(spyder)

it is on a Trek Y-5

Submitted by A guy a Weekend Warrior from Arizona

Date Reviewed: August 26, 1999

Strengths:
Pretty cheap, nice design, good dampening for a light weight

Weaknesses:
flex

Bottom Line:
Mine is actually a 98' Pro. This is a pretty good fork if you're a lightweight-medium like me. It has a fairly good amount of travel, but so far, it hasn't bottomed out. It isn't as heavy as I thought it would be too. The only problen, is that when you balance on your front tire, you can feel a little flex. Overall a good value at this price.

1 Year

ManitouProLT, IndyS&C, JudyXC

Specialized

Submitted by der Herbst AGAIN a Cross-Country Rider from Jacksonville/Champaign, IL

Date Reviewed: August 10, 1999

Bottom Line:
One thing I forgot: it's kind of a pain in the rear that it's got no damping. Also, any adjustments that you need to make involve messing with the internal stuff, which isn't too bad when you're sitting there in your apartment shining up the bike for a race, but if you've got different sections of trail you like to ride at different settings, you're going to be making your fellow riders sit around and wait 5 minutes while you screw with your forks.

3 months

Manitou 97 Pro C damper cartridge disassembly instructions

Hi, I am servicing a Manitou 97 Pro C (which I have used from new since 1997). Thanks to the excellent suggestions on this forum I have been able to replace elastomers as needed. I am a bit stuck though with the oil damper cartridge. I need to service it because it is leaking but I am unsure ... Read More »

Refurnishing my 97 Mongoose Pro ...

This is the model that Brian Lopes rode in 97 for dual slalom. It is steel and has breezer drop outs. I picked up a used Atom-bomb for it and just need to get fresh housing and cables. I always thought that the Atom-bomb was one of the smoothest riding forks, but it seems like it has hardly any trav ... Read More »