Hanebrink G-Fork Series Front Shock

2.5/5 (8 Reviews)

• Phd speed- sensitive damper.
  • 1" wider crowns for increased rigidity.
  • Quick change spring cassette: Change spring cartridge without dis-assembling your fork.
  • External adjustable pre-load, rebound speed and compression damping.
  • Double-keyed locking axle: Greatly increases fork rigidity - sets absolute dropout to dropout distance.
  • Advanced teflon impregnated, metal backed "Monoblock" wiper seals with grease injection port: Provides outstanding contamination protection.
  • Fender mount.
  • International Standard 20mm axle. 20mm Hanebrink hub is available

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by greg a Cross Country Rider from uk

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2004

Strengths:    looks, but thats not why i am here, can anyone help me, i need to know how to adjust these forks, i want to adjust the preload compression and rebound but without a manual have no clue how, any help would be great cheers
    gregclarks@hotmail.com

gregclarks@hotmail.com

Submitted by BusterJohn a Downhiller from Covina

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2004

Strengths:    Nice compression and rebound adjustablilty...pretty stiff...nice progression throughout travel.

Weaknesses:    The axle just pushes into the drop outs...not a screw in like all the others...I think this should have been thought out more...noisy springs. BAD BAD customer service from Hanebrink!!! I will never do business with that hack of a company!!!

Bottom Line:
    Actually, I bought the bike from a private party (really cheap) and figured I would be able to tune it to my taste...the forks felt like a pogo stick and the brakes needed to be dialed in. I was really worried about the forks after reading all the crappy reviews here. I did some research on the fork and I even called Hanebrink for direction on how to slow up the rebound and compression. They would not help...they only wanted to sell me a manual so I could figure it out myself. Well, I also posted on the forum here and got some help...It really isn't hard once you know what to do. Please feel free to e-mail me if your have problems dialing yours in. I dialed them to my taste, I headed straight up to Big Bear...THEY KICKED A$$!!! very tuneable and stiff enough for a Clydesdale rider. One thing I do have to say is...I will NEVER do business with Hanebrink...and the only reason why I even considered keeping the fork was cause it was free...I do have a nice Foes F1 at home, but will try to wreck these forks first...I'll keep you posted.

Favorite Trail:   Sturdivent Camp Trail in Mt. Wilson

Purchased At:   It came on a bike I bought through private party

Similar Products Used:   Three sets of Foes F-1 "Wet-One" forks custom tunes by Brent Foes, White Bros UD150, Judy DH...etc.

Bike Setup:   Foes Weisel with Hanebrink G7, Sram drive train, Maguira Gustov up front with XTR v-brake in the rear, Fox RC shock.

Submitted by Tomas a Weekend Warrior from San Jose, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2002

Strengths:    Looks, weight

Weaknesses:    Poor manufacturing tolerances; replacement bushings from Hanebrink didn't fit (I was told they are individually fit to each fork), the International Standard disc mount holes were not in the right positions. The instruction manual I received with the fork was out of date and not correct for the G5 Tandem fork I received. The disk mounting area of the hub isn't flat causing the disc to warp even when carefully tightened down, causing drag and brake squeal. Replacement axles, seals, boots, in fact, almost everything I've gotten from Hanebrink post purchase has been of different dimensions from originals. Replacement parts and repairs are very expensive and take a long time to get (3 weeks and counting for a damper rod replacement at $100 after I was told by Dan himself it would be $85 and would be done "right away" 2 weeks ago when I called).

Bottom Line:
    Hanebrink forks have poor manufacturing tolerances. I ordered a rebuild kit, and bushings, nothing fit. I sent in my damper for damper rod replacement. When I called Hanebrink to ask about the damper I had sent back for repair, Dan's Son answered the phone and without reason, became verbally abusive and after yelling at me, told me that he didn't have to put up with my attitude and suggested he would send my parts back, unrepaired. Dan called me later, apologised for his Son's behavior, saying he would repair the damper and send it back right away (after 2 weeks, I'm still waiting, even though he has already posted a charge higher than what I was told it would be on my credit card). Hanebrink is a very unprofessonal company with poor product reliability, worse customer service, and apparent lack of concern for future business from any customers. Although some reviews for Hanebrink products are positive, the lack of manufacturing consistancy and frequently poor service should make anyone seriously consider other manufacturers instead.

Favorite Trail:   where ever I ride

Purchased At:   Reeds Sport Shop SJ

Similar Products Used:   Marzocchi

Submitted by Georg a Weekend Warrior from Saarbrücken / Germany

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2002

Strengths:    cheap, light, look

Weaknesses:    Ok for Freeride but not for DH

Bottom Line:
    Not really adjustable.
    service sucks.

Favorite Trail:   DH /Dual/Freeride

Similar Products Used:   Votec GS4

Bike Setup:   Rotwild RFR01

Submitted by Paul T a Downhiller from Calgary

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2002

Strengths:    none this is a very week fork, it's sold as a freeride fork and a DH fork but dosen't work at all for either,

Weaknesses:    every thing is weak, this fork has been sent back 3 times and never gets fixed, the service at hanebrink sucks as well,

Bottom Line:
    Don't buy this fork it breaks and is very tuff to fix your self! stay away from this fork!

Favorite Trail:   dirty lil secret

Purchased At:   hanebrink

Similar Products Used:   QR20 Z-1, boxxer, monster T

Bike Setup:   K2 disco mokey, totally custom

Submitted by Glenn a Weekend Warrior from Canada

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2002

Strengths:    Weighs only 4.75 pounds !! Simple design. Over size legs give bike a very aggressive look. Simple and easy adjustment of rebound and compression on top of right leg. Replacement springs are inexpensive. About 7 inches of travel. Affordable.

Weaknesses:    This fork has taken me 3 months to get dialed . Requires
    TLC ( cleaning ) but you should do that any fork you buy. Needs a threaded axle to put side-load on the hub. Hannebrink should pay more attention to detail.

Bottom Line:
    This review is for the 2001 G7 fork

It has taken me 3 months to get this fork working to an acceptable level of performance.
    The fork came with a black spring (stiff) and red elastomer bumpers in the spring side Constantly bottomed it out! As a result, the fork had no rebound and would pack up under braking and rapid bumps....not good! This lack of rebound was a serious problem.

Worked with a black (stiff) and a blue (med) spring combo removed the elastomer and things got allot better. I used the elastomer for preload spacers and they actually work well. I weigh 180lbs and this combo works for me for general free riding.
    Heavier rider or big huck riders should use two black springs.

While riding, the fork was inconsistent and trapped air during operation. It would blow lube out the seals as it tried to get the air out of the legs and would create a vacuum on rebound. To compensate for this I drilled out the spanner holes on the legs top caps allowing air to be released and drawn-in during operation. This fixed the problem and made the fork very plush with no stickiness. I could not believe how much it changed the performance of this fork for the better.

Only two-pinch bolts secure the thru axle, one on the bottom of each leg. After riding the legs would spread and create play in the front hub, due to side loads on the wheel, cured this by threading the axle and using bolts to create side load on the hub. Works great, no more play in the front hub.

I would hate to be the customer who buys the fork expecting to ride it problem free, out of the box. These flaws should be addressed at the factory and not put on the consumer to figure out and repair. (Sorry Dan, just being honest.) Especially in a market where there are very good forks in the $700Cdn category with the same amount of travel... i.e. 2002 Jr T. (If your not handy turning wrenches on bikes, I recommend buying a 2002 Jr T)

In closing, I would say I am pleased with the performance of the fork only after the mods I have done. And am basing my score on the forks current performance It is a very simple fork to maintain and does not require extensive rebuilds, like other forks on the market. Very plush, lots of fun. OK fork.

Similar Products Used:   Shiver, Boxxer, Jr T

Bike Setup:   Balfa 2 Step

Submitted by MIKE a Downhiller from ALBANY, NY

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2002

Strengths:    LOOK COOL

Weaknesses:    FIRST, IT WAS FINALLY DELIVERED A MONTH AND A HALF LATER THAN PROMISSED(WHICH CAUSED ME TO MISS A RACE). ON MY FIRST RIDE, I RODE OFF A 2 1/2 FOOT DROP AND THE FORK BLEW(THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE A FREERIDE/DH FORK SET UP TO MY PERSONAL SPECS.). SENT FORK BACK TO HANEBRINK, AND BECAUSE IT TOOK THEM SO LONG TO GET IT BACK TO ME, I MISSED ANOTHER RACE! THE FORK WORKED WELL FOR ABOUT TWO MONTHS AND BLEW YET AGAIN(3 FOOT DROP!). THIS TIME WHEN I CALLED, THE REP I SPOKE TO SAID HE DIDN'T KNOW IF HE COULD CONSIDER THIS CONSTANTLY FAILING FORK ANY SORT OF A WARRANTY ISSUE!! I IMMEDIATELY ASKED TO SPEEK TO DAN HANEBRINK, WHO TOLD ME THAT SHOCKS BLOW OUT THAT'S JUST PART OF RIDING AND THAT(TO HIM) IT'S PERFECTLY RESONABLE FOR A DH SHOCK TO FAIL ON A 3 FOOT DROP. I REGRETFULLY SENT THE SHOCK BACK TO BE FIXED AGAIN. THEN, AFTER RIDING IT FOR 3 WEEKS, NOT ONLY DID THE DAMPING CARTRIDGE FAIL AGAIN BUT THE BOTTOM SPRING BROKE INTO 3 PIECES. MY ADVISE TO ANYONE CONSIDERING A HANEBRINK FORK IS DON'T DO IT!!!!! THE PRODUCT IS PRONE TO MECHANICAL PROBLEMS AND THE CUSTOMER SERVICE IS ABSOLUTELY APPAULING. I WORK IN A SHOP AND HAVE DEALT WITH MANY COMPANIES AND I CAN HONESTLY SAY DAN HANBRINK AND HIS STAFF ARE THE MOST UNPROFFESIONAL AND INCOMPITENT EXCUSE FOR A COMPANY IN THE BIKE INDUSTRY!!!!!!!!!

Bottom Line:
    DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM HANEBRINK!!!!!!!! THEY ARE THE WORST!!!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   ALL OF PLATTEKILL

Purchased At:   DIRECT - EMPLOYEE PURCHASE

Similar Products Used:   CANNONDALE MOTO DH
    MANITOU XVERT CARBON
    MARZOCCHI MONSTER T - 2002 THIS FORK RULES!!!!!!

Bike Setup:   KONA STAB DEE LUX, MONSTER T, AZONIC BARS AND STEM, HAYES BRAKES, KOOKA DH CRANKS, 646 PEDALS, GIZMO CHAIN GUIDE, BIG BOY SADDLE, HADLEY HUBS, MAVIC RIMS, MICHELIN DH TIRES, KING HEADSET, INTENSE GRIPS, XT DRIVETRAIN

Submitted by dave franciosy a Downhiller from norfolk england

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2002

Strengths:    these are nice forks the service from dan is v good parts sent from the us takes around 3 days that is better than most companys in the uk.The forks are easy to set up and service you only need to drop the legs out so you do not need to take off your headset.They are light and work well on my turner rfx the leg guards are good .overall good fork

Weaknesses:    bit flex in them from new but made a locking axle and now there are nice and stiff

Bottom Line:
    the forks work well and look good they are light enough for me not that strong.The service is good and there really do work and at £530 you can not go wrong once you fit the locking axle pic's already sent to dan the forks work good buy these fork be different and enjoy them

Favorite Trail:   aston hill &ludlow