Girvin Pipeline Chubby Front Shock

3.91/5 (33 Reviews)

Girvin Pipeline Chubby

Submitted by olaf van tol

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2013

Strengths:    lasts 17 years

Weaknesses:    short travel

Bottom Line:
I need someone who can tell me how to service this fork that seems to have only 2 inches of suspension left.

Submitted by Kevin a Cross Country Rider from Korea

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2004

Strengths:    They haven't broken in 4 plus years of use.

Weaknesses:    Flex, flex, serious cold weather performance flaws, smacking knee on top of DC tubes hurts like a mother.

Bottom Line:
Now that I've gained some weight (195), I've noticed alot more flex. I'm talking enough flex jumping off a curb to make my brakes bark. And after reading the other reviews, I now realize that the two worst wrecks of my career on this bike were due to cold weather (not pilot error). These things turn into pogo sticks when its cold. I just ordered a new marathon S. Even if its crap, its gonna be a serious upgrade. Man, why didn't I break down and spend some cash when I was in Utah? Not that anyone still would buy them, (although I did see a new in box one on Ebay the other day) but just don't. You'd be just as well served by stealing a huffy and using its fork.

Favorite Trail:   slick rock

Purchased At:   oem

Similar Products Used:   None yet

Bike Setup:   98 K2 5000LT, lots of new stuff

Submitted by Michael Jedrak a Racer from Warsaw, Poland

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2001

Strengths:    Cheap, simple, nice looking, long travel

Weaknesses:    Elastomers instead of springs, stiction in the initial part of the stroke.

Bottom Line:
Good for freeriders, not so good for real downhill. At a reasonable price you get quite a lot of travel. Tips for those of you who already own a Chubby fork (or RST Hi-5):
- I have managed to achieve 6 inches of travel
- I have made an open bath damping system (it costs 1 buck to buy a special seal)
- I have replaced elastomers with custom made springs (20 bucks)
If you want such changes just mail me for details mj-foto@go2.pl

Favorite Trail:   Bielany Woods (Warsaw)

Similar Products Used:   Quadra 21R, Marzocchi Bomber, Girvin Vector.

Bike Setup:   Full suspension 5 inches rear travel, XTR derailleur, Sachs Plasma crank, Sachs disc brake rear, Magura Julie brake front (Hayes 200mm rotor). Magura(by Sachs) hubs, SPD 636 pedals.

Submitted by Bob Weadababyitsaboy a Downhiller from Um

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2001

Strengths:    Some

Weaknesses:    Few

Bottom Line:
Wow

Favorite Trail:   A Happy Trail

Purchased At:   A tupid friend

Similar Products Used:   Non

Bike Setup:   Sweet

Submitted by Paul a Weekend Warrior from Sydney

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2001

Strengths:    The fork performs well on big hits and is sought of smooth when running well. A lot of travel.

Weaknesses:    Limited adjustment.. The complete lack of rebound adjustment is annoying. The boots deteriate. No way near as smooth as a Marzocchi, but the Girvin's a cheap fork. So expectations are low.
Oh yeah, I've smacked my knee numerous times on the crowns..it hurts!!

Bottom Line:
The Only major problem I've had with these forks is when I managed to snap one of the drop outs.. Ok, so admittedly I did screw up the narly jump, and my bad riding was to blame...but still I didn't expect it to give way, esp. considering how strong they look. The cool guys at the LBS managed to fix it for me under warranty..sweeet.

Favorite Trail:   Royal National Park

Similar Products Used:   Marzocchi Bomber, Quadra 5 (delightful!), Manitou, Rock Shox Judy SL, Amp Linkage...

Bike Setup:   '98 Giant ATX with 5" rear travel. Magura brakes, XT/LX

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Chicago

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2001

Strengths:    Fairly beefy and has long travel for the price

Weaknesses:    Boots cracked, elastomer stack turn to rock anytime under 60 degree weather, bouncy.

Bottom Line:
When the fork is new, it seems like a value. The springs are bouncy instead of plush. It can feel like a pogo. The boots are one of the worst I've seen- cracked and allowed all sorts of 'stuff' in. Had to clean the stancions after every ride. Also, noticed the seals leaked a bit- NOT GOOD.

Purchased At:   Nashbar.com

Similar Products Used:   '98 RocShox Judy, I now have a Marzocchi Z1 MCR.

Bike Setup:   Freeride DS

Submitted by Adam Cook a Weekend Warrior from MA

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2001

Strengths:    Its got a lot of travel and it super plush.

Weaknesses:    The turning radius is limited, but I dont really notice it unless I'm going like 2mph.

Bottom Line:
If you are looking for a dual crown fork and want 5 inches of travel it perfect. I love the looks and the travel.
I reccomend upgrading to MountainSpeed Speedsprings if you are over 170 pounds. Overall its a great value and it works great too.

Favorite Trail:   anything fast and steep

Purchased At:   The Bike Zone

Similar Products Used:   Manitou Magnum

Bike Setup:   2000 Trek 6000 w/ Girvin fork and Bontrager acces...

Submitted by Mike Headford a Downhiller from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2000

Strengths:    looks
5 inches of travel
price factor

Weaknesses:    elastomer...freezes up in cold
weak construction
tunability....what??????

Bottom Line:
A god fork for the money. It's cheap and performs pretty well for a fork in this category. IS NOT SUITIBLE FOR DH RACING!!!!!!!!On my fitst race on it I broke the dropout. It also freezes up real bad in the cold weather. It is pretty good fork all around but if you want something that lasts save up for a decent fork, you will thank yourself. Team Ghetto rules!!!!!!!11

Favorite Trail:   Horseshoe Canada Cup DH run

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox judy xl
Rst somewhatrather

Bike Setup:   GT LTS DH, race face cranks, 00'Marzochhi Jr T, XT/XTR drivtrian,Sun rim rhyno lites,rock shoxs coupe deluexe

Submitted by fred a Weekend Warrior from atlanta, ga.

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2000

Strengths:    stiff

Weaknesses:    not enough damping
bottoms easily

Bottom Line:
dont push this thing too hard IT WILL BOTTOM. tried the heaviest speed springs it helped some but.
get a marzocchi 2000 CR great fork. never bottoms super plush. i weigh 230 lbs.

Favorite Trail:   bull mountain

Similar Products Used:   96 judy xc 80 mm
2000 marzocchi cr 130 mm travel

Bike Setup:   K2 5000 Lt race face cranks,rings handlebar. azonic bar ends sun ringle wheel set xtr shifter brake lever brakes 2000CR

Submitted by Kroegs a Weekend Warrior from BC

Date Reviewed: February 29, 2000

Strengths:    stiffness

Weaknesses:    elastomer, weight, not very smooth, like to freeze up in cold

Bottom Line:
I dont know why everyone is giving this fork such a good review. It sucks. I have never ridden a worse fork. Everytime I dropped anything higher than 3 feet, the fork would bottom out and buzz my tire, which scared the hell out of me cause I dont enjoy sailing over the bars. I cant blame it on my weight cause i am 125lbs. Bottom line... I got rid of these forks as fast as possible. I wouldnt suggest this fork for anybody unless they want a really crappy fork that will buzz any tire over 1.95.

Favorite Trail:   abyss

Similar Products Used:   Z2 BAM, Z3 QR 20

Submitted by Nathaniel Simpson a Cross Country Rider from North Carolina

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2000

Strengths:    Travel, easy maintenance

Weaknesses:    Sure hates cold weather! Stiffens up worst than my back after a big spill.

Bottom Line:
A decent fork. Sucks in the cold weather. Wouldn't buy it again, but won't replace it 'til next Jan/Feb either.

Favorite Trail:   The next one

Similar Products Used:   Judys, White Bros

Bike Setup:   1998 K2proflex 5000 LT, Chubby, SmartShock

Submitted by Dave Corkill a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2000

Strengths:    A good light weight dual crown fork with plenty of travel when trail riding. It has stood up to my abuse and some good wipeouts.

Weaknesses:    I do a lot of winter riding, I'm sorry, but this shock does not stand up well in sub-zero weather. I noticed it loses around 60 to 80 mm of it's travel when out in the cold.

Bottom Line:
A good shock for the money. I'm happy with it for all the abuse it takes.

Favorite Trail:   Ravenshoe

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Joshua F3.

Submitted by Aaron Xavier a Downhiller from Van Wa.

Date Reviewed: December 2, 1999

Strengths:
Hay man its got 5 inch travel for you cross country riders

Weaknesses:
not enough travel for down hill but yeah a stem shock from softride 2inch travel stem helps

Bottom Line:
OH if any boody trash talks this fork, they are idiots that rides nothing. Yes i got to admit that MCU sucks but I got hydralic lock ups on rock shox during winter. Switching the MCUs w/ speed springs will make the Chubby Lt eat any Rock shox any time, any where for breakfast, Lunch, dinner, and snacks. Pipline rules, and thats the bottom line

any where on Earth

less than 1 month

Judy Xl 99
Judy XLc 98
Judy Xc
Rst 281
RST 381
Bomber z1

If you know me, i got a bunch of bikes, Ironhorse, mongoose, K2proflex, all of them are dualies, and different set up of parts every month so i realy don't know what to say.

Submitted by Henry a Cross-Country Rider from Singapore

Date Reviewed: October 29, 1999

Strengths:
Price,Responsive,Weight

Weaknesses:
Abit flexy,looks,elastomers

Bottom Line:
A good DH fork & also a light double crown weight. It can take all the abuse despite it works on elastomers. Reliable & maintaince free. A bit of flex though. Better than Rockshox is for sure.

Mandai

3 months

Judy XC

Gt Lts,Magura Frog,xtr parts...

Submitted by produde a Weekend Warrior from d-bar, ca

Date Reviewed: August 23, 1999

Strengths:
if you can find them used they are awesome for the price

Weaknesses:
little heavy but all tripple clamps are.

Bottom Line:
I got this fork barely used from a guy for only $110. I was thinking about getting a z1 bam but those are $400+. This fork is super plush when you take out the bottom black bumper inside the coil spring at the bottom. All you have to do is take out the elastomer stack, unscrew the bottom cap on the 2 coil spring and take out the black bumper. A 10 minute job at most. Also relubed mine with JUDY BUTTER and they work sooooo good. Awesome fork.

snow summit