Girvin Flexstem Front Shock

4.22/5 (9 Reviews)

Girvin Flexstem

Submitted by Elmo Shulman a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2014

Strengths:    Inexpensive, Adjustable, Durable, Retro/Vintage, Really Works!

Weaknesses:    A little heavier than regular stem

Bottom Line:
I put this on my old Bridgestone mountain bike with no front shocks. At the end of rides my hands were always numb due to all the bumps.

Once I installed this, the first thing I noticed was how much better my hands felt at the end of a ride. It's adjustable with 4 levels of what Girvin calls springs...in actuality they're what I would call elastomers. They're like bushings with different stiffness properties.

Yellow is very soft, Green is soft, Red is hard and Blue is very hard. I settled on Green.

Now for the amazing part.....it's been on my bike since 1999! It still functions the way it was designed to. If you store your bike outside, I imagine the weather might take its toll on the elastomer. My bike always goes inside after a ride.

My recommendation is if you have a mountain bike with no front suspension, find one of these and buy it. I still see them on ebay anywhere from $20-$60. That's way cheaper than any front shock. And when was the last time you heard of a front shock lasting 14 years without servicing?

Favorite Trail:   American River Trail

Duration Product Used:   1999 - present

Purchased At:   Ebay

Bike Setup:   Stock Bridgestone RB-1

Submitted by cliff eisler a Cross Country Rider from regina saskatchewan canada

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2004

Strengths:    simplicity, durability, comfort, ease of setup, doesn't change bike's geometry, ease of maintainance, better and cheaper and easier to maintain than cheapo forks, works great with rigid forks.

Weaknesses:    doesn't soak up real crushers, but it helps.

Bottom Line:
I rode my old rocky for eight or ten years with the flexstem on it so I havce to say that they really do last. The elastomer will last a few years if you treat it well. You can use Judy Butter (tm) on it or Manitou Prep M (tm) to keep it slippy. The only thing that eventually does wear is the pivot; you can only get about ten years out of it! Try that with any fork! I had to respond to the person who typed in that the Flexstem wouldn't last. It will, trust me, he just neded to give his a little more time to prove itself. I really do wish that someone would revive that old patent, there is nothing like it on the market today. Great for a commuting bike, and even a benefit off-road. Takes up small edged bumps that some forks miss.

Favorite Trail:   wascana trails

Purchased At:   western cycle regina saskatchewan canada

Similar Products Used:   some cheap rip-off, can't remember who made it.

Bike Setup:   rigid rocky mountain stratos

Submitted by Mark a Weekend Warrior from Canada eh.

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2003

Strengths:    It's cheap, light, smooth. Works better than el-cheapo forks.

Weaknesses:    Can't buy the bushings anymore.

Bottom Line:
This thing works much better than cheap shocks, and is much ligther too. It also complements cheap shocks well. Grab one if you can still find one. I have a set of SR DUOTRACKS that have little travel and it goes excellent with them. Going to try skateboard bushings once this one wears out. Keep your elastomer heatlhy by lubing them up with appropriate oil. Such as paintball gun lube, which won't break down the elastomer.

Favorite Trail:   Behind the Igloos.

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Bike Setup:   Weird "high end" Alloy SR Duotracks. Girvin Aluminum Flexstem. Ironhorse MT100. Alivio Groupo

Submitted by aHeathenScott McIntosh a Weekend Warrior from Canada

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2002

Strengths:    Very good at smoothing out small bumps and most vibrations typical of gravel roads & cracked up city streets. Even better than many types of shocks for vibration absorbtion.

Weaknesses:    Bad for real off road riding.

Bottom Line:
My hands and wrists don't hurt when I take the old beater on gravel roads.

Similar Products Used:   I've used Quadra10, Mag21, Judy XC and now use Marzocci Bomber MXR shock.

Bike Setup:   Flexstem is on a rigid fork fork Rocky Mtn. Fusion (also have full susp off road bike - but not with flexstem :)

Submitted by Turp a Weekend Warrior from Danville,Va.U.S.A

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2002

Strengths:    Responsive

Weaknesses:    Slightly heavier than a normal syem

Bottom Line:
A great product that soaks up those bumps. Great for urban riding and commuting. The shock bushing is interchangable and you may be able to use bushings that are made for skateboard trucks

Purchased At:   Bikes Unlimited

Bike Setup:   Specialized Expedition with road tires.

Submitted by Darryl a Weekend Warrior from Danville,Va,U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2002

Strengths:    Simple, Functional design

Weaknesses:    The supplied bushing is a little soft.

Bottom Line:
It really does smooth out the vibrations caused by the hard narrow tires on rough pavement. It would need to be a good deal stiffer for any formidable off roading. I'm going to try the stiffer bushings. It is alot less exspensive than buying even a cheap front shock.

Purchased At:   Bikes Unlimited

Bike Setup:   Specialized Expedition with flat bar and narrow tires for fast cruising.

Submitted by Yannie a Cross Country Rider from UK

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2001

Strengths:    Reliable. Comfortable. I have it installed on a tourer. It's the aluminium version. Remains plush vertically and passably rigid laterally. Makes a great difference to a tourer without the weight or slop of suspension forks. I choose to run a narrower front tyre since getting this gadget, so I get more comfort AND lower rolling resistance. Looks after your wrists too.

Bottom Line:
Lovely. Simple, effective, reliable design. Works well for years on end of commuting! Shame they don't make them any more!
An outmoded idea for MTB's, though.

Favorite Trail:   Puddletown Forest

Similar Products Used:   Sus. Forks on my X-country MTB

Bike Setup:   Peugeot touring frame. Rigida Alloys. Shwalbe marathon tyres. Profile Bars

Submitted by Keith Dilly a Weekend Warrior from Baltimore

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2001

Strengths:    Inexpensive, easy to install, no maintainance required

Weaknesses:    Heavier than a normal stem, BUT much lighter than suspension forks. Some flexing when climbing using bar ends.

Bottom Line:
The best $10 I've spent on my bike. Wish I had one of these a long time ago. Of course it doesn't soak up the big bumps, however, the 3/4" or so of shock absorption provided make a big difference when you're used to a rigid set-up. After a couple of rides the elastomer seems to get a little softer.

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   none.

Submitted by A a Cross Country Rider from Menlo Park, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2000

Strengths:    cheap, easy to install and replace.

Weaknesses:    develops side to side play and makes ride unstable, especially with front rack and paniers.

Bottom Line:
don't waste your time; company is going (gone?) out of business and will not take the product back. It won't last and is not worth the little effort of replacing stem twice.
If you tour, be tough; live with the road bumps. If you offroad, get shocks.

Similar Products Used:   rocks shocks... much better.

Bike Setup:   rock hopper with slicks, front and rear racks.

Girvin Flexstem suspension stem system

I just came across this stem the other day and think it's pretty cool. I'm not that into the vintage stuff, which is mostly why I never post here, however it does interest me a lot. I've ridden a few different suspension stems before and think it's pretty cool. Not a fan of how the brake levers and ... Read More »

neon yellow Girvin flexstem

Ha Ha i just found my old Girvin flexstem in my basement, set with my "red" dampner. what a unit! :rolleyes:Read More »

sources for Flexstem parts, other vintage stuff?

For a newly acquired Yakota Grizzly Peak Tandem to ride with my kid. It is 7 speed shimano (below DX/LX) with push pull index integrated shifters/levers, cantis up front, U brake in back. It is ridable but I may want to upgrade a little. The flexstem is cool but I could use some new rubber bumper ... Read More »