Duo track sr Front Shock

1.76/5 (25 Reviews)

duo track sr

Submitted by nate a Cross Country Rider from mendon ny

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2008

Strengths:    makes the front tire not roll away

Weaknesses:    no travel, what everyone else has said

Bottom Line:
dont get this, if you have it do yourself a favor and get something else.

Favorite Trail:   dryer park

Purchased At:   inherited from fathe

Similar Products Used:   k mart bikes

Bike Setup:   830

Submitted by Aaron McGraw a Cross Country Rider from Oil City, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2004

Strengths:    (update) its still going. I have tried to demolish this fork since 1996, so please keep that in mind when you scroll down and see negative reviews.

Weaknesses:    Heavy and limited travel. So far the only damage to the fork is a 1/8 diameter hole in one boot and some scratches to the decals.

Bottom Line:
At this point, you are bound to find this fork on a used bike on Ebay. Don't let it put you off. While it is not the best suspension fork out there, it certainly is amongst the toughest. It will work when you get it--unless someone has abused it beyond imagination.

Favorite Trail:   Oil Creek/ Allegheny/ East Sandy Creek Trails

Purchased At:   Fred Meyer, Fairbanks, Alaska (on bike)

Similar Products Used:   2001 Manitou Sport, 2002 RockShox Judy TT, RST "Mozo" ML-10

Bike Setup:   Acera, LX, Specialized goodies, Aluminum frame, Titec and Kalloy cockpit stuff with a JD Suspension Stem and JD bar ends. Nashbar clipless pedals. SDG Comp leather saddle

Submitted by Aaron McGraw a Weekend Warrior from Oil City, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2002

Strengths:    It's better than a case of Chlamydia, and you can get rid of it unlike the herpes. It's the only thing besides the frame I haven't upgraded...Umm....It works.. Sort of. kind of like me. This fork is an underachiever, and so am , so I like it.

Weaknesses:    Okay, it's heavy...and to get the suspension I wanted i had to add a JD suspension stem..

Bottom Line:
Comes in handy for pounding pesky bike-trail muggers. BUY ONE. SUFFER THROUGH IT. You will be a better person for doing so.You top-end Rock Shok and manitou folks make me want to puke. I scrounge for beer money at the end of the month....hence, I cannot upgrade. If anyone has a longish steerer-tubed fork in 1 inch diamater that will accept cantis at the price of a case of Yuengling Lager, drop me a line. (mcgraw@pennsmart.com)

Favorite Trail:   Venango County, Sugar Creek trail

Purchased At:   fred meyer, Fairbanks, alaska (on bike)

Similar Products Used:   MOZO ML10.

Bike Setup:   Eclectic mix. don't ask.

Submitted by theyseemecoming a Weekend Warrior from wales

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2002

Strengths:    Yes, its VERY strong. and it is also very capable of stopping your front wheel from rolling away.

Weaknesses:    going up and down is definitely a weakness with these

Bottom Line:
Well, the nice man at the bike builders told me that the SR Duotrack were an excellent fork, and surprisingly fell right into the budget of the last few pennies i had left over after finishing my custombuild. (but had planned on a rigid, since we're talking 7 years ago)
I thought he was doing me a favour.
that nice man has given me 7 years of thinking I had a nice bike, until I tried a mates GT LTS with real suspension.
Bugger!
These forks, as said elsewhere are utter rubbish, but try as you might you wont break them!
I am going to replace them as soon as I can.

Purchased At:   added to my custombuild

Similar Products Used:   rigid GT fork

Bike Setup:   Alpinestars CR500 with lots of nice bits (these forks being the exception)

Submitted by David Ritchie a Cross Country Rider from Austin, TX USA

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2002

Strengths:    Keeps your wife from nagging you about how awesome your bike is.

Weaknesses:    None as long as their on your wife's bike.

Bottom Line:
I was dumpster diving a few weeks ago, when I found this descent looking fork still in a box. I thouhgt it was a K-Mart shock, but I guess someone upgraded and just put the Duo Track in the K-Mart box. This puppy is awesome. First of all; my wife thinks that her bike is as good as my StumpJumper now.(No more nagging). Second; it weighs a ton so now my wife can have those buns of steel I've always wanted. Third; you can probably get your wife one free cause I'll bet one out of three dumpsters stock them. So you see, all these guys who are writing trash about this poor shock either are rich, don't have wives or cannot realize that there is good in everything, depending on how you see it. All I can say is, my wife is happy I'm happy and my wallet is happy. By the way, I'd rather pay a measly $125 than $600 to make my wife happy. Two thumbs up from me. SINCERELY... Cheap a** Husband

Favorite Trail:   Greenbelt

Purchased At:   Dumpster

Similar Products Used:   Manitou Forks

Bike Setup:   Front fork pnly

Submitted by bob hunt a Downhiller from the shore

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2001

Strengths:    It was my lucky day I was riding my Foes DHS Mono down flying circus (a shore trail ) and I see this hobo on the trail ,he says he found this fork lying in the bush and he wanted to know if I had a use for it . That was the best day of my life because I got an awesome fork for free . The first great feature of this fork is the ajustability you can change the travel from 1/5 of an inch to 1/4 , to 1/2 just buy letting some air out of your tires , also the ease of maintenace and lubrication , just ride in the rain , enough water will seep into the fork to eliminate all stiction . I'm also in way better shape since buying this fork , I get a real workout just riding on pavement because the fork added like 40 lbs to my bike !, finally my brakes were way to powerful before , I was always going over the handlebars , but now this fork flexes foreward so much that my brakes are like 1/10 as powerful as they were before so I have no more problems . I think every hardcore rider should buy one of these forks today if you want all of the great features I mentioned !

Bottom Line:
you decide

Favorite Trail:   flying circus

Purchased At:   Some hobo

Submitted by Thorsten Lauer a Cross Country Rider from Germany

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2001

Strengths:    It looks good and came with the bike i bought 1994. Still not falling apart after seven years and lots of miles (mostly forestroads not really heavy duty).

Weaknesses:    No real suspension work visible. heavy.

Bottom Line:
Does it realy work as a shock absorber, or is it only a kind of heavy rigid fork? is there really elastomere inside? I would never buy such a fork anymore, even when it is fixed to a cheap but good bike.

Favorite Trail:   Fränkische Schweiz

Purchased At:   Bernds Radlschmiede

Similar Products Used:   some "modern" forks tested in the last weeks

Bike Setup:   Touring MTB

Submitted by Jerry Giese a Cross Country Rider from Irving, Tx, USA

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2001

Strengths:    cheap

Weaknesses:    1 inch of travel. Too Heavy. Bottoms out over rough sidewalks, small sticks, and everything else.

Bottom Line:
This is the cheapest, worst piece of Šhit that I have ever used!!! I have used rigid forks with more travel than this. The Fork has no noticable travel. It has too much play. In fact, the fork moves farther forwards and backwards than it does up and down. Everytime I put on my brakes it feals like the fork sways about 3 inches. This fork is so Šhitty that i would give it a negative 5 chilies if I could. I mean this fork is crap. This fork even looks as bad as it preforms. If you are stupid enough to buy this fork for $100+, then throw your bike away and just give up!

Favorite Trail:   the park

Similar Products Used:   K-mart bike shocks.

Bike Setup:   Specialized Rock hopper

Submitted by Mr. Wizard a Cross Country Rider from the Pacific Northwest

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2001

Strengths:    It still hasn't spontaneously fallen apart...

It takes a little bit of roughness out of gravel paths.

Weaknesses:    The arch flex is so extreme that it robs most of the front braking power (you can pull the lever to the bar even if you start with the pads rubbing the rim).

Shock absorption is no better than a fat tire and cushy grips, while steering and feel are much worse than a rigid fork! My confidence level while riding on this fork is very low.

On an otherwise nice looking bike, this thing is rather ugly, and obviously cheap.

Bottom Line:
This is the worst component I think I've seen used on a "real" MTB.

Purchased At:   (stock on Trek 830)

Similar Products Used:   Nothing this bad!

Bike Setup:   This fork is on an old Trek 830 that was sitting in the garage until I recently cleaned it up for someone to ride.

Submitted by Shawn a Weekend Warrior from Singapore

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2000

Strengths:    It can travel about 1" !!! It is heavy, makes u work harder, and provides good exercise.

Weaknesses:    Stupid name, looks like... well... faeces. About as effective as a rigid iron fork, but heavier and more dangerous to use.

Bottom Line:
It's still working after 4 years! Even then, it's not worth buying. Get a Rock Shox or something that works as suspension. If someone gives it to u, regard him/her as an enemy. Alternatively, he or she is hinting that u need to lose weight.

Favorite Trail:   We don't have many trails here...

Purchased At:   Came with my bike.

Similar Products Used:   A Rock Shox, dunno what model

Bike Setup:   An aluminium rig with shimano Altus. Wish i had a better fork.

Submitted by Mike from mike UT

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2000

Strengths:    Yeah right, you think this product has strengths?

Weaknesses:    Oil bath? Try sand bath! I actually took a look inside, it didn't even have elastomers. Inside was a piece of styrofoam. If you want to throw your money away, by all means by this shock!

Bottom Line:
NEVER, EVER, EVER BY THIS PRODUCT. A RIGID FORK IS BETTER!

Favorite Trail:   Catamount, VT

Submitted by Matt a Cross Country Rider from Austin, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2000

Strengths:    I kinda like the "club" idea...atleast it's nice to know they are good for something...Well, I guess you could get them just to say you have full suspension and impress your friends....

Weaknesses:    Ok...first off, 1 inch of travel doesn't do squat. Truthfully, my arms shake a lot more on this than on my old rigid fork. They came with my bike, so I'm not sure about how they measure up price wise.

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is that these shocks are good for two things:
1) Hitting people.
2) Trying to impress your friends.

But in all seriousness, if you aren't gonna race for a living or seriously, who needs incredible, $600 shocks anyways? These are ok for a first pair, I guess.

Similar Products Used:   None, this is my first front suspension fork; but I have tryed some rick shox on a friend's bike, and they were a lot better :)

Submitted by tu madre a Cross Country Rider from never never land

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2000

Strengths:    Strenghts? what strengths? Are they even shocks? I could have sworn that they were filled with sand.

Weaknesses:    At like 1/2" of travel, you might as well ride a rigid fork. Too expensive at $125. I would make someone PAY ME to even sit on a bike that had them. Oh yeah, Did I the sand?

Bottom Line:
If you are a serious biker and you are riding these things, take them off your bike right now and piss and POO all over them and then they will at least smell better (and ill bet that they will look better too.)
In all seriousness now, I dont like this shock. If you are thinking about getting this thing, please do yourself a favor and go buy a Rock Shock Indy C for cheap. That fork at least has some travel.

Favorite Trail:   lost boys trail

Similar Products Used:   any rigid fork. And maybe then you will have more travel.

Bike Setup:   Well, back in the day (7th grade), the nishiki blazer was my first full suspension bike and I loved it. Till one day I took the fork off and went to a creek and threw it in and left it there for some 8 year old to find (and ill bet he did the same thing as me after riding it too.)

Submitted by a Weekend Warrior from Mass

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2000

Strengths:    too expensive for $125, $1.25 maybe. This is the worst that ive ever ridden on.

Weaknesses:    Everything the shocks are made of suck, not one strenth in them. like someone said before, the only thing these shocks are good for is beating someone with, id give them a 10 for that because they're so heavy.

Bottom Line:
These shocks have no use, are they supposed to be used for bikes? Don't buy these for this kind of money, buy a marzocchi or a rock shock. The first time i rode on the shocks, i went over a rock, and the frame broke in half. These shocks have no travel, 1 flamin chili