Cannondale Super Fatty SL Front Shock

3.44/5 (18 Reviews)

Cannondale Super Fatty SL

Submitted by jeff katz a Weekend Warrior from Traverse City MI.

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2002

Strengths:    Strong with NO flex

Weaknesses:    Its like riding a pogo stick..squeak-squaek-squeak-squeak....

Bottom Line:
I'm going to upgrade this piece of crap pogo stick for a real fork!

Favorite Trail:   Vasa

Purchased At:   Team Active

Similar Products Used:   None, most of the other shocks are good compared to this.......

Bike Setup:   Jeckyl 600

Submitted by Jim Schelling a Cross Country Rider from Chicago, Illinois, USA

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2001

Strengths:    Lock Out

Weaknesses:    Lock out, Poorly trained mechanics, Poor engineering

Bottom Line:
The Fatty D and Fatty SL shock that come on the Cannondale bicycles are junk. Save your money and buy anything else. This shock broke 4 times on the flat trails in Illinois. Mechanics didn't know how to fix them. I returned the bike to Cannondale after 6 months of this hell. They wouldn't return the tax I paid nor would they pay the shock upgrade. I will never buy anything short of a bike bag from Cannondale again and I recommend the same to you.

Favorite Trail:   Too hard to choose.

Purchased At:   Won't Say

Similar Products Used:   None. First mountain bike ever purchased

Submitted by morgan a Weekend Warrior from newcastle.ME. US

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2000

Strengths:    stiff, structurally strong, .ooks kinda cool, at least it is different!

Weaknesses:    for mine ('99) it was the oil cartridge, it breaks, spewing oil all over my frame so i bring it in and when i get it back he tells me that it was the factories fault and it it was assembled wrong but now it is fixed , i am thinking of cool it is a free fix, he charged me $70.00 for labor! it was the freakin assembly lines mistake and i end up paying! this is while it was still under warranty too, so i go out and ride it, not too hard just regular east coast MTBing, and 4 days later the exact same thing happes, the oil starts leaking out an i lose all damping and adjustabily via the top dial, NEVER BUY C-DALE PRODUCTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bottom Line:
IT BLOWS!

Purchased At:   Brown Dog Bikes

Similar Products Used:   NONE

Bike Setup:   C-DALE

Submitted by Hannes a Cross Country Rider from Stuttgart

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2000

Strengths:    No flex when used with disc brake, easy adjustablity of damping, rugged head set, few maintenance

Weaknesses:    Shock sensibility far away from up-to-date Pace and Rock Shocks, although same travel; air loss after 6 months; Dealer was nice and quick in repair; even when broken in warranty period, the customer has to pay working hours; dealer did not accept to send the fork to Cannondale to have it redone; disc brake mount did not fit Luise; I had to do some work on the mount;

Bottom Line:
Disappointing sensibility and shock performance; if you have to buy it for the original price, better buy something else;

Favorite Trail:   From Ruhpolding around Duerrnbachhorn/Germany

Purchased At:   Bike Shop Echterdingen

Similar Products Used:   Pace RC36 EVO III; Judy; Girvin Vector

Bike Setup:   Canny F 3000

Submitted by Jon a Weekend Warrior from Chicago,IL

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2000

Strengths:    Super Strong.Looks cool. Adjustable. Really Strong.

Weaknesses:    makes a weird noise? Could be related to Carbon Fiber frame.

Bottom Line:
I've turned my front wheel into a taco shell, Taken 2-3 meter drops in the city on concrete, smashed right into numerous objects.This thing is indestructable although I guess it could use a little more adjustability. I'm no expert, but I like.

Similar Products Used:   Nothing is similar.

Bike Setup:   SuperV Raven 2000 SL

Submitted by Lewis Kosloski a Cross Country Rider from Moriches

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2000

Strengths:    Love the steering and handling

Weaknesses:    I love C-Dale but this is the forth time this fork has gone down in 4 rides.I'm sick of having down time.I keep loosing travel.The air is bypassing o rings in air chamber and causing the fork to lose about 60 mm of travel.If C-dale doesn't make good this time I won't be buying another C-Dale

Bottom Line:
I love C-Dale but I'm tired of the bike going back to shop.I here all these great stories about C-Dale but I haven't had a good one myself yet.The paint on my frame started to blister off and the rep told me it was because I sweated on the frame.Duh I was wondering how you could possibly keep the sweat from getting on the frame.The only thing that got me a new frame was it developed a stress crack by the rear shock mount.The bottom line is I think I'm going to build a new bike and it won't be a C-Dale

Similar Products Used:   DD-50 P-Bone Fatty 70Sl

Bike Setup:   Super vee 700 Spox wheels Fox air rear shock,9.0sl shifters and the rest is XTR

Submitted by Scott Bays a Cross-Country Rider from Bonneau, SC

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2000

Strengths:
No flex, finially-good travel

Weaknesses:

Bottom Line:
I've only ridden Headshocks and my only complaint has been the limited travel, but now with over 3 inches...I'm a true Headshok junky. Love the air adjustibility.

tsali, thompson loop

DD60, MC60

Cannondale Raven

Submitted by boudewijn a Cross-Country Rider from Sint-Oedenrode

Date Reviewed: November 9, 1999

Strengths:
stiffness

Weaknesses:
travel

Bottom Line:
I had to send my fork back for the fourth time. The travel had decreased to 60 mm. The thirth time
I got it back with a leaking oil-cartridge. They had broken it during fixing the air-cartridge. I got really sick of this fork. I've just had it with Cannondale. Last time I called them on the phone, it even looked if they had an answeringmachine that could only say: take it to your dealer, he will send it to us. beeeeeep

marzocchi bomber z2

c'dale sv1000 disc

Submitted by Jim Ryan a Cross-Country Rider from Redwood City, CA

Date Reviewed: July 13, 1999

Strengths:
Handling
Light Weight
Adjustable while riding!
Handling Handling Handling Handling
Handling Handling
Handling Handling
is that 50?

Weaknesses:
Looks goofy

Bottom Line:
From the first test ride I was amazed at the handling capabilities of this shock. It provides the necessary travel with no problems and little maintenance.

ECdM, Sierra Azul

1 Year

Rock Shox

Cannondale XTR/XT
CAAD3

Submitted by Don S a Weekend Warrior from Jamul,CA

Date Reviewed: July 9, 1999

Strengths:
Lightweight,no flex,excellent
handler.Very
plush!

Weaknesses:
Not a fork for the home
mechanic to work on.
Topped out until LBS
replaced cartridge

Bottom Line:
I had a problem with topping out noise from the
beginning. LBS couldn't find the problem. Another
shop replaced cartridge and that did it(under
warranty).This is a plush fork that out handles
any single crown slider fork. No flex with point and shoot handling.Much plusher than my Judy SL
with downhill cartridges and speed springs and it
has less travel than the Judy did. NO FLEX AT ALL!

2 Years

Judy SL

Cannondale SV 2000
Fox air on the rear

Submitted by Jeff J. a Cross-Country Rider from Castaic

Date Reviewed: July 1, 1999

Strengths:
NO flex, laterally, torsionally or any other way. Air spring is adjustable for big guys like myself (6'5, 245 lbs.) No harsh bottoming out. Rebound dampening adjustments that you can actually feel. And did I mention that they do NOT flex. What a difference that makes!

Weaknesses:
Huh?

Bottom Line:
This fork has taken all of the pounding I have been able to give it short of crashing. This fork lets you forget about making excuses for not riding well. Point and shoot! It goes where you aim it. Baby head rock gardens, jumps, curbs, whatever, just hang on to the bars and enjoy. And did I mention that it does NOT twist or deflect! No stiction. No buying the right spring(s) (hopefully the first time). Yes, you have to buy a shock pump. Get over it. Why any serious rider would trust his sweaty carcass and expensive dental work with any other fork is beyond me. HEADSHOCK ROCKS!!! Five flaming steampiles for this puppy!

Los Robles/Rosewood

Rock Schlox Judy XC

Cannondale Super V 900 (120 mm rear travel, 80 mm front with Magura louise disc brakes )

Submitted by David Haight a Racer from Oxford, Ct.

Date Reviewed: June 25, 1999

Strengths:
No Flex

Weaknesses:
Harsh Bearings
Not User Friendly

Bottom Line:
The bearings run with alot of friction and lubing
does not seem to help at all. I experienced a loss of travel (20mm), sent it back, had the new
one for 1 month... same thing all over again. Not
very satisfied at all.

3 months

Super-V Active 2000

Submitted by C-Dale Man a Cross-Country Rider from Westlake Village, CA

Date Reviewed: June 7, 1999

Strengths:
Super Stiff, super strong, good travel, amazing small hit compression, tons of adjustments, generally light, great traction. It looks so sweet, too! (For everyone who doesn't know, it's called original...don't be frightened.

Weaknesses:
very heavy steerer tubes.
annoying preload adjustment.

Bottom Line:
This is a sweet fork. The best lateral stiffness in the shock industry, tons of adjustments. I find myself using the dial all the time. The travel is great (80 MM) and this thing eats up small hits like nothing else (via air shock design, of course). The shock is a pretty nice weight (3.4 pounds) but I don't understand why cannondale went with such heavy steerer tubes. Then again, that's what the ultra is sold for (new, much lighter tubes). The other annoying thing is adjusting preload. You have to get your hands on a suspension pump and use a chart to find your ideal PSI. What a hassle! Overall, this fork is amazing! Light, great feel, super stiff, amazing on small bumps, great traction, ad very tough (after the torture I have put it through, i'm shocked it's till in one piece!), and a kick ass look! Strongly suggest this amazing buy! Get used to the wierd headshok look and go buy it!

Hmmm...too many favs.

On my '99 SuperV 700

Submitted by Palmquick a Racer from Chicago

Date Reviewed: May 11, 1999

Strengths:
Extremely Stiff lateraly

Weaknesses:
Dampining dial rerely worked
Roller barrings felt extremely rough

Bottom Line:
I innitaly upgraded to this fork when Cannondale allowed me to warrenty my MC 50 fork when the paint began to flake off. The additional travel was a nice bonus and the adjustibility of the forks air pressure was great for a light weight rider(such as my self) to be able to fine tune enough to suck up the more subtle bumps. Unfourtuniatly the fork had an extremely gravely feel to it. The local Cannondale rep. looked at the fork and immeadiatly sent an additional fork out to me. The second Fatty was perfect for the first hour of my first ride, but unfourtuniatly the dampioning went out and left it with a violent thudding sensation every time the fork would rebound. Two weeks later I received my fourth Cannondale shock and this one did not work from the start. The adjustment nob on the top did not have any affect on the forks damping and it developed 20mm. of play with in the first month of riding. The following fork that they sent me was plauged with the same problem of the non working adjustment nob and it was stuck on the slowest rebound setting making it impossible for the fork to recover from a succession of bumps before bottoming out. After dealing with these unblieveably distracting problems I ended up purchasing a Trek 9900 to avoid any more problems that would hinder my racing. Cannondales quality control will have to be improved if they do not intend to frusturate and loose their current customers.

HardRock Ocala Fl

Cannondale Cad 2
Fatty Sl

Submitted by ART a Weekend Warrior from Baltimore, MD

Date Reviewed: May 5, 1999

Strengths:
Durability, plenty of travel, on the fly dampening

Weaknesses:
none yet

Bottom Line:
Great product so far, no problems and plenty of travel.

3 months

judy

'99 Raven Super V 1000

Cannondale Headshok Super Fatty SL on a 1993 M800 ?

Hello. Does anyone know if a 1999 Cannondale Headshok Super Fatty SL pulled from a 1999 Super V will fit on a 1993 M800 "Beast of the East" ? The Beast originally had a rigid, Pepperoni fork but is now running an Answer Manitou 3. I'd put the Pepperoni fork back on but I'm the second owner of ... Read More »

ebay headshok dillemma- super cheap p-bone or the new fatty sl?

hey hey, im new here and new to mountain biking and cannondales. i got a 2002 caad3 f3000 from a friend through trade. he broke his fork, so the bike wasnt rideable. now i need the bike and have to replace the fork. the fatty sl is the fork that came with it, but im looking at a price difference of ... Read More »

Cannondale Super Fatty SL (AIR)

:mad: I just realize that I had no air in the fork (the boot was all scrunshed up).. so I extended the fork and locked it to save any damages till I got home. When I went to add air though.. maybe I added too much?? cause when I unlocked the suspension it was still Rigid... so I thought there was to ... Read More »

Disc mount on Super Fatty SL?

Could someone tell me if the disc mount on the super fatty sl is IS or something else? Or could you tell me how I can determine this? I want to upgrade my disc brakes and need to know what size mount to get. Thank you.Read More »