Cannondale HeadShok Fatty Ultra DL Front Shock

4.3/5 (40 Reviews)

Cannondale HeadShok Fatty Ultra DL

Submitted by Marcos a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2012

Strengths:    LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT
Cashe
Lock out
fun to ride and adjust on the fly
a great design

Weaknesses:    None. I've had one of these since they came out with the Delta V full suspension years ago. It should be rebuild as it doesn't hold air very long but for something 20 year old and never having a repair made me a Cannondale believer.
I have rigid and full suspension with this shock and it is absolute genius.

Bottom Line:
As Packard Motor car used to say.

"Ask the man who owns one"

Favorite Trail:   potawatami trail

Full XT
Ti BB

Submitted by Erwin

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2012

Strengths:    it works well but is incredible unreliable... it had to be repaired 3 times in 2 years.....!!!

Weaknesses:    Unreliable, bought my bike at Ten Tusscher in Enschede, The Netherlands, within 2 years, the headshok failed 3 times, cost me over 100 Euro per time to repair the headshok. It is unreliable and I now plan to replace it by another brand... I hope this will be possible.

Bottom Line:
Very bad. Will never buy a Cannondale with this suspension again.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale BBQ black, Caffeine

Submitted by seven71dp a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2012

Strengths:    Keeps the front wheel in place.

Weaknesses:    Not very reliable, You never know if you start your ride and the shock has blown, it happened a few times now. Really this shock has been around so long you'd think Cannondale would have ironed out all the bugs. I've had it replaced twice, squishy, clunky.... Nuff said...

Bottom Line:
Overall I would not buy another bike with this shock on it and I wouldn't recommend it to a friend.

Bike Setup:   Taurine

Submitted by Callas a Downhiller from Tyne & Wear

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2010

Strengths:    Fantastic light bike great forks.

Weaknesses:    Magura brakes not the best fitted riser bars improved control.

Bottom Line:
Very light weight bike forks work great in both lock and travel mode. Cannondale is a great bike to ride no one keeps up with me on the downhill decents get a 2006 or older new models not as well made.Forks cost £90 to service that was with new negative spring feel much better as never been serviced since bike bought in 2003 just done in July 2010.

Favorite Trail:   downhill

Purchased At:   Edinburgh Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Specalized Hardrock

Bike Setup:   Factory standard

Submitted by Wader a Cross Country Rider from Lincoln, NE

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2009

Strengths:    stiff, light, smooth

Weaknesses:    service-currently at Cannondale for a blown seal, 3 other guys out of the same shop have forks there with the same problem. It's out of warranty so who know what they will do. I bought the bike because i wanted the shock. Now shock is broken and I have no ride.

Bottom Line:
I am pissed that the shock is broken. I just want to hear from Cannondale what they are going to do. If I have to replace it, i will probably go back to RockShocks. That itself will be a pain due to the head tube differences. Otherwise, I plan to do what I have to, then sell the bike and go another route.

Favorite Trail:   any dirt one

Purchased At:   Bike-Rack, Lincoln,

Similar Products Used:   RockShocks- have used the old MAG-21, Quadra-21, Jett, Judy SL Air

Bike Setup:   Cannondale f4 spec + xt spd's

Submitted by adam a Cross Country Rider from california, San Mateo

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2009

Strengths:    Lock out, but now it does not work

Weaknesses:    Can not replace. Do not go this way. Get a fork shock ... Do not purchase this shock system...

Bottom Line:
I went with the headshock because I thought cannondale was a reliable company.. I should have listened to my inner voice.. "What if it gets starts to leak, what if it has any problems, you will not simply be able to get a new set of forks and be done with it..."
Maybe I got a lemon, but do you want to take that chance..

Favorite Trail:   one

Purchased At:   biek store

Similar Products Used:   other MB shock systems

Bike Setup:   Bad boy cannondale

Submitted by Bashbosh a Cross Country Rider from London, UK

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2008

Strengths:    When set-up correctly it feels smooth and gives the XC rider confidence to make slight turns by transfering their weight through the hips!

Weaknesses:    Doesn't have the feel of a cheap fork.

Bottom Line:
My HeadShok Super Fatty Ultra DL was serviced recently. It was returned with a gentle 'knocking' when locked out (Down to the pins and races being in contact?). The problem was not rectified after being returned to the machanic twice! I was told this fork is known to have construction problems when serviced? I'm tempted to contact Cannondale and find out if there are any known problems with this fork? Has anyone out there had any similar problems? Basically, the service was by a Cannondale approved mechanic in the UK and when I ride it not locked out its perfect so I guess its a case of ignoring the lockout? the stiffness of the fork if set-up correctly reduces bob and the need to lockout uphill. Just want to know if the mechanic was yanking my chain? Could it be a bad job because why would Cannondale sell duff forks which develop this problem only when serviced? Thanks guys.

Favorite Trail:   South Downs, East Sussex, UK

Purchased At:   Evans Cycles, UK

Similar Products Used:   n/a

Bike Setup:   XC

Submitted by Zachariah a Cross Country Rider from Palm Desert, CA

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2008

Strengths:    Light, stiff, zero stiction when braking, laser-precise steering response, full lockout, rebound dampening.

Weaknesses:    Loses air over time(so do tires!), service parts are expensive, very expensive to replace(non-warranty).

Bottom Line:
This review is actually for the Ultra Fatty DLR2- which is basically the same fork......with an added rebound dampening dial.

The lightness and stiffness of this fork is truly confidence-inspiring. You are able to attack singletrack
with sheer speed and control. At under three pounds- this fork is still lighter than most carbon fiber front suspensions costing thousands more.

Lastly, you cannot go wrong with Cannondale's race-proven, winning technology. I prefer this over their slick Lefty- only because TWO points of failure is obviously better than ONE(know what I mean?). Unless you seriously abuse the fork like a DH/Freerider.....there is virtually nothing much you can do to this bulletproof setup, under normal XC use. With the correct pressure settings, you will experience little or no front end bob, riding uphill without the lockout engaged. It's THAT SMOOTH!!!

Cannondale really has a truly ingenious design here....

Favorite Trail:   Hurkey Creek Park (24hrs/Adrenalin Course)

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Lefty, Rock Shox SID race.

Bike Setup:   2005 Cannondale F2000SL

Submitted by Zachariah a Cross Country Rider from Palm Desert, CA

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2007

Strengths:    Super light; Steering precision/control; simplicity of operation; twist-resistant steering; rebound/dampening knob; on-the-fly lockout; lifetime warranty

Weaknesses:    Slow air leaks; not user-serviceable

Bottom Line:
No twin-stanchion air fork can compare to this baby. It's too light....yet strong like bull. I feel safer on this fork than even the Lefty. A true XC race-inspired fork- with many race wins to prove it, too. Cannondale should just improve on this platform, instead of further developing the failure-prone(ouch!) Lefty. Produce this fork with 105mm travel, and it will be ONE LEGENDARY FORK- bar none. With a quarter-turn lockout, climbs will put all your friends in the dust.

The overall quality of the Headshok....is worth the price of a Cannondale alone.

Favorite Trail:   Hurkey Creek Park

Purchased At:   Private Party

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Lefty DLR

Bike Setup:   2006 Cannondale F600 Furio; Ultra Fatty Headshok DLR; SRAM x.7 shifters/drivetrain; Avid BB5 mechanical brakes; MAVIC XM117 rims/Shimano M475 hubs; IRC Serac XC tires; Fizik saddle; Crank Brothers Smarty clipless pedals

Submitted by Bart a Cross Country Rider from Arnhem, Gelderland, Holland

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2007

Strengths:    Stiff/Strong
Smooth/No stiction
Looks
Perfect with discbrakes
Keeps your front wheel on the ground when needed like nothing else
Weight
Though

Weaknesses:    Can't do many experiments with damping
Not easy to take it appart (it is possible!!)
You can't order any parts from it wich are needed for yearly service. So the service depends on the dealer
For maintainence it's not a cheap fork but hey wich racing fork is?
you have to take out the wheel for re adjusting the fork tension whit the air valve
Can't put it in a "normal" bike only Cannondale uses a 1,5 inch head

Bottom Line:
This fork is the best I'v ever tried. It's a though tool and makes me feel like my bike is better than I am.

Only problem I'v had is that it's not easy to take it appart and do some maintainance things like re-greasing and checking the races/needles but it's possible!!
As a constructor/engineer I had my doubts about the rubber boot wich protects the fragile inside against mud/watter, but after a quick look I'm convinced that it's absolutely save! Same for those unbeliveble needles, how the hell is it possible that there is no play between it? Even after all the time it has'nt been re-greased ore cleaned!

Although many people claim it has the best lock-out on a fork I do not use it. Can you imagine what it does to the needle barings when they don't move but have to endure litle bangs and vibratings? (this is what makes the litle dents in the races of your fork)
And the damping is good enough for not pumping up and down going uphill on the road so I don't use the lockout. But I must say Im not a very heavy rider.

Oh and there is another thing about the adjustment of the fork. The recommanded presure in the instruction manual don't work for me!! I use a presure wich is a litle lower

Maybe there is somebody surfing around on this website who has problems with a litle play between te races/needles. (who has? please write a review about it!)But I don't see this problem very often.

While riding it it has'nt got the problem of most forks. As soon as you touch the front brake ordinary forks refuse to take any bumps and only give a litle reaction at realy big bumps. The Headshock forks (and the lefty too of course) just keep absorbing bumps. The don't give you the feeling of being locked becauce of the used barings. I can't imagine why there is no other fork constructor who uses barings!! (Or maybe there is...? reactions !!)

Altough it's not the most comfortable fork, it takes the bumps out and keeps your wheel on the ground for excelent grip like no other fork (except the lefty wich is a litle better). The 80 mm way is more than enough, how many times did you actualy "use" more? The first time I tried a Headshpock I did'nt realize it works so great till I tried al litle off road and wondered where all those bumps where gone!!

For complete compare with other forks I should trie a German-a front fork (yup, those ugly forks with a swing arm!) Those forks should be as light as a Headshock and even as responsive!

Favorite Trail:   everything where it goes down

Purchased At:   secondhand, internet

Similar Products Used:   rockshocks Judy XC, Several Manitou, rigid Pace, Other Headshock

Bike Setup:   Cannondale F900 Sl, LX/XT, Hayes disc brakes, Mavic Crossride disc, and other stuff

Submitted by Dash a Weekend Warrior from prescott, az. USA

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2007

Strengths:    Light-weight. Reliable. Quick, easy to reach remote lockout for climbs. Made in USA.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
Performs beautifully. Once the rider has the fork is setup properly, the bike corners perfectly. It will "set" just before corneringing and give the rider that planted feedback from the bike that ultimately instills rider confidence. It's a little choppy in BIG rock gardens, but I live in the desert where rock gardens are can be meteor sized and probably better suited for Full suspension bikes.

I've thought about going to the lefty but this fork does everything I need.

I like this for so much that on a new bike, I would probably swap nearly every fork for this one.

Good job Cannondale. Made in USA as well!

Bike Setup:   Magura CSS, F600. Disc specific, XT, Kenda Nevegal, Rockshox post.

Submitted by Joe Karotka a Racer from Bratislava

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2005

Strengths:    Super LIGHTWEIGHT only 1250g with headset, good Lockout, very stiff...... and beauty :)

Weaknesses:    damping works bad, this is only race fork withount any comfort........PRIZE

Bottom Line:
Super Fork for XC riders, is´t good for weekend riders becouse is uncomfortable, and at the second side is very stiff, light. I can say this fork is one of the best which I have ridden.

Purchased At:   probike shop

Similar Products Used:   Sid Race Titanium 2002 Lo, Sid Team 2004 Lo

Bike Setup:   Caad5,XTR,Hope Mini, DT Hugi, Mavic 317, Time Atac XS carbon, Race face, Roox, CODA

Submitted by Leonard Levine a Racer from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2004

Strengths:    I've ridden & raced this fork hard for five seasons with no problems. The steering is second to none. Tracks perfectly. Just point and shoot. Easily corners through tight singletrack at high speeds. Light Weight! Overall simplicity makes it a winner.

Weaknesses:    Very harsh if you forget to un-lock before descending. Leaks air very slowly overtime. Nothing to worry about though, simply re-adjust pressure. Really no major weaknesses to speak of. Except that high-end cannondales with head shocks are all disc specific now???? I liked the weight and simplicity of v-brakes especially with the fatty!

Bottom Line:
Great fork. Came stock on my y2k F-3000. I've ridden & raced it ever since witout a hitch. It will make you a better bike handeler especially in the tight stuff. This fork is world cup and world championship proven. I can remember when Alison Sydor and Cadel Evans were almost un stopable on the fatty ultra. I just wish cannondale would spec it on another super light weight set up without the discs. Or at least give us the option of having caliper bosses!

Favorite Trail:   Birch

Purchased At:   Olympia

Similar Products Used:   Nothing compares.

Bike Setup:   2000 stock cannondale F-3000 SL. Cadd 4 frame, crossmax tubeless wheels, python air lights, coda 2x9 crank, xtr cassette,derailleurs and shifters, easton ct2 bar, thompson elite post, coda stem, coda seat with ti rails, avid arch supreme calipers, avid ultimate levers and did I mention my head shock ultra DL?

Submitted by Miles a Weekend Warrior from Dallas, Texas USA

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2004

Strengths:    Stable feel

Weaknesses:    service

Bottom Line:
Solid fork with rebound assembly set up for 165lbs of air pressure. Great for hopping. Very quick. No flex. Solid breaking. One small air chamber air only compresses so much.
Softer ride extended more solid as travle is squashed. Hard XC riders dream.

Favorite Trail:   RCP