Cannondale Headshock Front Shock

3.98/5 (165 Reviews)

Cannondale DD60 Headshock

Submitted by Neil a Cross Country Rider from Essex, UK

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2006

Strengths:    Very smooth a stiff action, with very little flex. It acts like a rigid straight blade fork, but with 60mm of travel!

Weaknesses:    Rubber boot split after a year of riding off road, but still works fine. Started leaking oil after five years. Lock out has started getting loose after seven years!

Bottom Line:
It's a brilliant fork, I just wished it had 100~120mm of travel and it was easier to service.

Note: I've never had mine serviced and I want to see how far it goes before I kill it!! I've done over 4,000 miles to date and thers oil coming out and the boot is split in six places! Well beated up, but it's still going strong!

Favorite Trail:   My local forest

Purchased At:   Shop in Benfleet, Essex?

Similar Products Used:   n/a

Bike Setup:   1998 Cannondale F1000 UK spec. Standard spec apart from a new XT Chainset due to CODA crank arm breaking and resulting in a gashed calf!

Submitted by phil a Cross Country Rider from uk

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2003

Strengths:    When it's working it's great,stiff, plush lovely ride

Weaknesses:    TOP-OUT,

Lack of mechanics who can do proper services,unavailability of info and tools to enable home servicing,
hates bad weather.
Don't fall off in stream as I did as the internals soon rust.Daaaamned expensive to have serviced.Bloody unreliable.short travel

Bottom Line:
Wish I'd got a fork that I could strip down myself......If I had to buy a replacement headshock it would cost me £570,gotta be kidding,
When it's knackered next time it's gonna get swapped for conventional fork.

Anybody able to service one of these who can post a video of how on the web????

Favorite Trail:   lumpy

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Bike Setup:   01 Jekyll 600.

Submitted by Holger a Weekend Warrior from UK

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2003

Strengths:    Cannondale reputation and quality. On the move adjustment. Torsional strength of the forks and frame. Have had no problems, would like to know how to adjust for more or less travel using the air pressure input, never really been able to use that feature.

Weaknesses:    Exclusive Agent's serviceability

Bottom Line:
Happy with the product, though I have not used it as much as I would have liked to. I am certain there are similar products/Bikes on the market that would live up to this product, but then I have not had to look at those yet as mine has served me reliably!

Favorite Trail:   various

Purchased At:   Hatfield Cycles

Bike Setup:   On Delta V 1500 ex 1993

Submitted by Derek a Cross Country Rider from Bellingham, WA USA

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2003

Strengths:    Very stiff, smooth dampening, no fork play whatsoever (unlike so many others), and maintenance-free--so long as you periodically clean and relube the leg (once every 2 mos. in this rainy muddy climate). Also good to be able to support a US company with a sound vision that treats its workers well.

Weaknesses:    Requires special tools--I'd prefer to be able to do all of my own work. Maybe could use a few more travelling mms.

Bottom Line:
Now going on the third year on this shock, at an average of 12hrs per week on some brutal singletrack with nary a problem or failure. It is NOT a DH shock--this should be obvious from the 60mm of travel offered. However, it will take some solid punishment--including 3 footers--without begging for mercy. Its stiff responsiveness allows the rider to point and shoot; this bike is Fast. The lock out is AOK for the flats, and the bike simply rolls up steep technical sections. This shock is excellent for any skilled XC rider that knows how to use their arms and legs to properly negotiate terrain, rather than relying upon the "store bought" skills that so many new bikes offer at the price of extra weight and sloppy--sorry--"cushy" response.

Favorite Trail:   All the big, local bumps

Purchased At:   town

Similar Products Used:   Indy, Judy, Marzocchi

Bike Setup:   F700, Coda, XT, Raceface

Submitted by Kevin a Cross Country Rider from Dallas, TX USA

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2002

Strengths:    lock out feature... saving grace for this piece of SH*t!! Most of my riding has been on this feature!!!

Weaknesses:    Doesn't last, can't stand the weather!!

Bottom Line:
Well it did last the first 6 months and this was on Dallas,TX trails (flat yall!!)...oh boy! Afterwards, gotten #2 replacement, it worked for about a 1 year. Then #3 for a month, and #4 for about 2 years. Then I started to go to some difficult places in the next few years - aka New Zealand, Durango, and Moab- #5,#6,#7 came in. After the seventh replacement the dam thing finally held up for now about 1.5 years but my riding has slow down a lot. I'm heading for arkansas and lawton in 2003 and am now changing out for a marzocchi or rockshok judy. I had enough! C-dale is lucky I cant fine their asss (service line just goes to answer machine - I think they have caller ID!?!?!) and dont ram this shock down their poor quality throats!!

Favorite Trail:   any and all!!

Purchased At:   sun,ski,&sports

Similar Products Used:   I dont have another bike.

Bike Setup:   Can-a-whale Delta700, all XT; grip shift,vbrakes,front/rear derailer. 185 lb average rider, did try sport entry level racing, but found more fun with just riding.

Submitted by zxc a Weekend Warrior from Philadelphia

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2002

Bottom Line:
I am referring to a DD60.
I want to be able to open it up myself!!

I just got the bike used. and the fork is in bad shape. rough. i just need to get grease to the needle bearings.

I bought a pin wrench Park SPA-1, after reading this guide:
http://www.fastglass.net/bike/headshok/repair.html (written for a generic, prolly older? headshok)
And after unscrewing the top cap, I find that the insides of my DD60 is different from that pictured in that guide.
There are no flats as there are in the first pic.
And the castle nut looks different in my DD60.
Any ideas?? Need help!

Purchased At:   used, over mtbr classifieds

Bike Setup:   '99 KVF900

Submitted by Ron Ayers from Lake Worth

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2002

Strengths:    Ultra low maintenance!! The Review a few down must have been a fluke. Precise steering, very stout fork used it in at chirakoa mauntain range at 47 mph and performed like it should have given its travel restrictions, takes big hits relentless big hits and keeps comin back for more. lockout is definately a nice bonus no complaints there im ashamed to admit it kinda but ive used it on a few urban assault break aways. solid suspension system with a solid company behind it. Fenominal performance for its classification. solid balanced forgiving versitile system that is great for cross country and the ocassional (dare I even suggest it)freeride. I have used it for freeriding and survived just fine, not the big bomber or nothing likt that but it is tough enoug for it if you got the skills to huck a short travel bike down the mountain and not get broken!!

Weaknesses:    Short travel very very cross country oriented, so is the jekyll though its only a weakness if you like big sh-t. rubber sleeve tends to get pinch tears in it if you abuse the bottom out stopper in it, once again if you like big sh-t, special tools needed for the true do it yourselfer who actually enjoys working on his-her own bike (*I*) 120 bucks or so, shim has moved down on me once not effecting performance one bit but it still should have stayed in its place(once again moved down from excessively hard hits) fixed it myself no prob!! needs a little tlc if your gonna beet on it constantly but for the accasional ruffling of its feathers it will do just great. You can use this all year round at xc trails and do 2-3 trips to the mountains a year without any unscheduled maintenance.had it 3 years and its been a rough life for it and it is still goin strong with only the shim sliding down once and hehe 2 tourn hehe rubbers ahem xcuse mua it dont suck

Bottom Line:
Great setup for race or serious rider alike, focused on the xc side of it but will definately take a beating without bustin on yah, great reliable predictable precise stiff fork that does all it should and more for the x-country (sometimes freeride) urban ridin 200 pounder in most of us.
perfect in every way if I had the tools to service it:-) for that I take away a chille on the value side
whapisshhhhhh

Favorite Trail:   Oleta River

Purchased At:   The Bicyclery

Similar Products Used:   rst, judy

Bike Setup:   stock jekyll700 xt, julie discs and big fat geax hooks and warps.

Submitted by Christian a Cross Country Rider from Innsbruck, Tyrol, Austria

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2001

Strengths:    stiff
lightweight
excellent response
on-the-fly lockout
needle bearings (no stiction like Rock Shox)

Bottom Line:
Fantastic fork, the stiffest around there. The response to bumps is excellent, the lockout mechanism is quite useful when driving on roads. Very good fork for cross country riding. Enough travel for me, as I'm no downhiller.
Great fork!!!

Favorite Trail:   Tyrolean mountainbike trails

Purchased At:   Sport Neuner

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox Jett T2 and Judy XC, tested Marzocchi

Bike Setup:   '98 F-1000

Submitted by Graehm a Cross Country Rider from UPnorth, MI, USA

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2001

Strengths:    Perfect amount of travel. I like being able to lock out on the fly! In 4 years I have only had to get it maintained once! I like the idea of the Headshock. Cannondale should be praised for this great idea! I never have to worry about uneven travel with a fork. The steering is magnificant and flawless. No complaints!

Weaknesses:    None!

Bottom Line:
If more people would ride the Headshocks they would probably want to dump whatever they have and buy a Cannondale. Low maintenance and no uneven travel! The headshock centers the bike and the rider into one entity. Almost spiritual in a way.I would recommend the Headshock to anybody who either races or just for fun rides crosscountry. It is great Bike and fork for adventure racers. When you are offroad you leave the fork on. When you hit the pavement or concrete you can lock it out. It is that simple. What an ingenious idea!!

Favorite Trail:   Secret

Similar Products Used:   None! I tested most of the forks out there and I kept going back to the Headshock. The steering was much greater and I would never have to worry about uneven travel!

Bike Setup:   99 Cannondale with full XTR and DD60.

Submitted by SJ a Weekend Warrior from Upstate NY

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2000

Strengths:    -Retains steering precision
-Good small-bump response
-STIFF!!
-Lock-out(on the more expensive models)

Weaknesses:    -A bit#^ to maintain(you need special tools--a little ridiculous)
-Needs a special stem
-Can bottom out occasionally(not much travel)
-Cannondale is WAY overrated!!

Bottom Line:
I tested both a Super V400 and a F600--both of which used the same fork,I think(non-lockout).I was impressed by how they smoothed out small-to-medium hits.They also steer well and are stiff.

However,I'm less impressed with the fact that these require special tools to maintain(ka-ching!!),a special stem(ka-ching!!),and you have to buy a Cannondale to get one(MAJOR ka-ching!!).

Based on all this,I'm not so gung-ho on buying one anytime soon.Although I do like Cannondale's bikes,I'm not sold on the hype.Sorry,Cannondale fans!!

I give the Headshok 4 chiles for performance,but value gets only 2 chilies.

Similar Products Used:   Manitou Magnum(good for entry-level),SX-LT(very good),Marzocchi Z5 Flylight(also very good),RockShox Judy XC(very plush,but heavy)

Bike Setup:   Specialized Rockhopper A1

Submitted by Kaj . a Cross Country Rider from l.a.

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2000

Strengths:    it worked great...when it wasnt brokin

Weaknesses:    God what a mess...every thing has gone wrong...see below

Bottom Line:
The SUPER FATTY SL is a disaster. The first few months i had it, it was absolutely fantastic, all of the things everyone else in here is saying positive. But after a while, this piece of crap just began to fall apart. After a while it had an insane amount of stiction, a few of it's needle bearings slid down past the others, therefor causing a decrease in travel and a constant clicking noise (another 40 bucks to fix this), just yesterday that stupid rebound adjuster headset cap came off (by the way...an on the fly rebound adjustment...how useless), and if this thing loses enough air, the fork wont bother to even come back up. lets see, am i missing something, oh yeah...it's always toping out. sometimes, even if you have it set on a lot of PSI (120), it still doesnt rebound all the way. And lets talk about costs . the darn thing costs 40 bucks every 6 months to replace an oil cartridge...40 bucks! And if you think you can stretch it past 6 months...think again...the fork gets anormous stiction and feels like absolute crap. And cannondale has made it impossible to do this maintenance yourslef cause you have to buy $120 (according to my lbs) worth of special tools! Canonndale has successfully made the priciest product to maintain on the market. God i hate this fork. And to top it all off, if i wanna get a new fork..i gotta get a frame adaptor. What a scam!
I have been riding this fork for 15 months now. Look at these long term effects and think again before buying this product. Stay away from this fork...dont let the advertising hype get to you. 1 chili for overal..value...HAHA, a $500 fork with this many problems is unacceptable...1 chili.

Bike Setup:   superv

Submitted by Arm a Weekend Warrior from IL

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2000

Strengths:
Rigidity and steering precision second to none! Smoothest action. Lockout a plus on big uphills.

Weaknesses:
Dedicated to Cannondale!

Bottom Line:
Judging from the grammatical content of the preceding reviews, dissatisfaction with the HeadShok is inversely proportional to rider I.Q. Po is a case in point!

can't say

more than 3 years

Manitou, RockShox, etc.

DD60 Headshok on 1993 Delta V 1500

Submitted by Mike Teeters a Cross-Country Rider from Columbus, Ohio

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2000

Strengths:
presice steering

Weaknesses:
blew out

Bottom Line:
I've OWNED the headshok Super FattyD (80mm) on my SuperV900 for a year now. The steering is unmatched and it is very smooth. The cartridge blew out in the first 3 months and my dealer replaced it under warranty. However, It does not seem to have the travel that it did before. This shock has an air inlet that is hard to adjust unless you have a $50 shock pump/bleeder combination. My complaint with the shock is that an authorized dealer has to do the work on it because of special reinstalling tools. This is not accepable to me because i am a skilled mechanic and prefer to do work to my bike myself. I will switch to Marzocchi soon because i will not pay for work to be done on my out-of-warrany headshok when it breaks or needs serviced or tuned. I just wish I could work on it myself.
Three stars for my LBS (bikesource columbus) for fixing it so fast the first time it broke!

anything unpaved

1 Year

rock shocks

1999 SV900

Submitted by Burke a Cross-Country Rider from Salt Lake City

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2000

Strengths:
Lock out feature

Weaknesses:
Did not respond well on fires roads with washerboard and rocks or in big drop situations. It also looks stupid!

Bottom Line:
Right now I would not buy a Cannondale. I think that you are spending way to much for what you get, especially when you consider all of the other products on the market. I did ride a Cannondale from about 4 years ago and loved it. It did not have the Headshock, maybe that had something to do with it.

All with technical difficulty and good climbs and descents

tested or demo'ed only

Manitou,Marzocchi and Rock Shock forks

I cannot rember the exact Cannandale model

Submitted by Dan a Weekend Warrior from NJ

Date Reviewed: August 9, 1999

Strengths:
smooth, ride, better uphill with lockout feature

Bottom Line:
The headshocks are far superior to rockshox in my experiences.

STOKES STATE FOREST< NJ!!!!

2 Years

judy, indy

Cannondale F3000 in killerV frame
fatty SL

How not to powdercoat your Headshock

Just a cautionary tale, complete with pictures. So if you go to PC your frame and fork, do yourself a favor, and have the damper and telescope pulled apart first. Don't just PC the whole thing, oven baking and plastic doesn't go well together..... :lol: Names withheld to protect the guilty. ... Read More »

Fixing 1996 Elastomer headshock? Help!!

Hi Guys: I own a Super V 2000 from approximately 1996 with a 50mm travel head shock that is completely beat. I brought the bike to a LBS and they told me that only Cannondale services their shocks and they will not do so for bikes older than 2001 or 2002. They offered me a credit toward a n ... Read More »

Cannondale Headshock

Is the Cannondale Headshock reliable? I've been looking at some reviews on here and have seen a few that say they have had problems holding air and the could not be repaired. What's your experience?Read More »

Headshock support.

Is Cannondale supporting their 95-98 era headshock forks with seals, or replacement parts? F500- F 600?Read More »

Cannondale Ultra Headshock Question

I bought a used headshock for my gf last year and something seems wrong but I never owned a headshock so I’m not sure. Background The shock was supposed to be freshly rebuilt by cannondale, and it seems to be: new boot no oil or air leaks over winter. Seems to be no slop or play or funky noises ... Read More »