Ballistic EX600 shock Front Shock

2.64/5 (36 Reviews)

Ballistic EX600 shock

Submitted by American Lesion a Cross Country Rider from Venango County

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2004

Strengths:    Dirt cheap. Great way to pay off the computer guy for working on your machine....by working on his bike.

Weaknesses:    Heavy. Cheap, cheesy, chromed-steel crown. Flimsy rubber boots. No adjustability

Bottom Line:
Obviously, this bike is a piece-together job...mostly my leftovers, and the fork was purchased in exchange for some work my computer tech dude did in exchange. The fork is generally unimpressive, but serves his purposes....at $10, I'd say its the best fork in its price range (probably the ONLY fork in its price range). The feel is spongey soft and it bottoms out easily. I'm usually not one slam bargain components...and I guess I'm not slamming it...but you certainly get what you pay for here. This would be a fine fork for the occassional rider, but not for anyone remotely serious.

Favorite Trail:   Oil Creek, Allegheny, and East Sandy Creek Trails

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   SR Duotrack, RS Judy TT, Zokes BLT, Zoom Gordo 650 Dual Crown, Manitou Magnum Sport.

Bike Setup:   (his...NOT mine)Sunrace M40 rear Mech. Shimano 7-spd chain, Sunrace Mega Drive 7-spd freewheel, Alex black ano rims, Altus hubs, SR crankset, BMX-style alloy platform pedals, Exage 400 front mech, Deore Thumbies, Rhino Riser bars with cross brace, Kalloy quill stem, Tange headset, Tektro front, Nexave rear Linear pull brakes, Pyramid alloy brake levers (long-lever-style, with adapters), Mushrooms grips, SR Laprade seatpost, Brooks leather saddle, Cannondale hardtail frameset (circa 1994), Specialized tires

Submitted by grim reaper a Downhiller from Poland

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2004

Strengths:    brake mounts are strong, doesn't lockup when braking hard, still better than other 'el cheapo' front shocks,
none else

Weaknesses:    the springs are WAY too weak for my weight (180+lbs), there's no manufacturer's website, I got no manual, nothing - no idea how to set preload,
bottoms out VERY easily,
clunking sound when bottoming out,
no damping,
no manufacturer's website,
no way to mount disc brakes on it,
overall weak and useless.

Bottom Line:
I'm not 100% sure what my front shock exactly is - I'm only sure that it's Ballistic and that it has '600' on it (everything else got torn before I was even interested with checking what model was this), but I had a chance to test another 2 ballistic products (both were front shocks, but on other bikes), and it's all cr*p! Especially mine - it has WAY too little travel, bottoms out too easily, doesn't handle small bumps at all, has no dampening, and - it's biggest weakness - it doesn't have disc brake mounts! It's only strenghts are that it doesn't lockup when braking HARD (like doing a stoppie) while some front shocks do, and that some other are even worse...
Anyway, I wish I could rate it at -10!

VERY bottom line: DO NOT buy this unless you got a lot of money to waste and your body to risk! (if you can find a dealer, that is). If you got it with your bike (like me), get a decent front shock (even a well-maintained used one if you're low on $$$ like me), and until you do - drive slow and carefully, and don't even think about XC/DH/FRing on it...

Favorite Trail:   anything downhill...

Purchased At:   a local store (NOT a bike store!)

Similar Products Used:   another 'el-cheapo' no-name 'made in china' front shock that came with another 'el cheapo' no-name 'made in china' bike - this one is a few times WORSE than my ballistic cr*p (no comments!)

Bike Setup:   'el cheapo' no-name steel frame (but extremely durable), 'made in china' no-name useless rear shock, no-name s***ty derailleurs (sp?), everything else replaced with high-quality (and expensive) stuff

Submitted by Nikolas a Weekend Warrior from Greece

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2004

Strengths:    ARE YOU KIDING ME?

Weaknesses:    bottoms out even when with my cat on the bike,the adjusters of the spring,heavy,basicaly EVERYTHING

Bottom Line:
Ballistic EX800A:Do N-O-T by this fork.if its on your bike throw it away.Do not by any ballistic product.The so called company has no web site.no adress.no phone.no dealers.no service.no product support.NOTHING.Mean whot is this crap?Is it a ghost-ship or something?My fork worked excelent-For 2 days.Anf it must be a recor for ballistik.After that,on the 3rd day,the fork bottomed out and would not come back up!!!!!!!!!!I opened it up,re-greased the springs and found out that there were small rocks,dirt and water!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!inside the legs.thet one fine day the adjusters(2 screws)whitch were in the total tight posission came back up on there own.I replaced them from a set of thrown away ballistics from the bike shop and the same thing happened to the seccond set ass well.I tried hopelesly to find for any kind of product support for this piece of s it(the 'h' is missing)and nothing came up.If you are suisital,like to spend your money on nothing,whant products from no-excisting companies and enjoy forks that bottom out under the MASSIVE weight of a cat then pleace,GET this fork(That is IF you can find a dealer)I wish i could rate them minus5 chlies.I could never,ever,ever imagine a pruduct could be this useless

Purchased At:   came with bike

Similar Products Used:   NONE as bad

Bike Setup:   gt pantera judySL lx-xt

Submitted by John from Eureka, CA USA

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2003

Strengths:    This fork has no strengths. I'm afraid I'll DIE if I use this fork which is on a Mongoose A40R, quite possibly one of the worst bikes ever made...besides a huffy of course!

Weaknesses:    Bottoms out all the time, clanks like crazy, very loose and seems like it will break apart. I tried to jump a curb and almost fell on m face.

Bottom Line:
Maybe some hobo or a 5-year old kid could benefit from the Ballistic shock, but I certainly won't. At least on my Gary Fisher I don't have the feeling of Death reaching out for me on every ride.

Favorite Trail:   anything offroad

Purchased At:   N/A... Free!!!

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox Judy, Psylo, SID, Duke, Manitou Black, Marz Z1, Z5 (at least I've tried these).

Bike Setup:   Mongoose A40R with stock components--I got this bike free as something to ride in the rain, but even then I probably won't.

Submitted by ollo ollo a Weekend Warrior from here

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2002

Strengths:    ethqrjyrqyjurrayjartjtsyjkfgjwtuhyut

Weaknesses:    5wuw56uw56i57yki75tswiyk75wikw

Bottom Line:
7iw57iw57i5w7iw5iw57iw57iw57iw

Favorite Trail:   oregon

Purchased At:   mongoose d40 24"

Similar Products Used:   57ikw57ikw57ikw57ikw57ik5w7ikwikw5

Bike Setup:   5555wi57ikw7iwiw777w7wiw5

Submitted by hubert larson a Downhiller from northern illinois

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2002

Strengths:    the front shox r still kickin ass and i have rode my bike hard the back shox r kickin the frame is good

Weaknesses:    my gears got all messed up i cant go into 21st gear know but i can fix the rear the wheels dont do to good in sand

Bottom Line:
this is good for dirt trails can handle jumps pretty good and for a cheap bike it is a good choice

Favorite Trail:   down hill run

Purchased At:   toys r us

Similar Products Used:   cheap full suspencion bikes

Submitted by Mario a Cross Country Rider from Pittsburgh, PA

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2002

Strengths:    can be used for scrap metal... if it didn't have so many parts made from plastic.

Weaknesses:    take every possible thing that could go wrong with a fork, and multiply it by 10.

Bottom Line:
The Ballistic 105 fork is so extremely horrible, that I wouldn't even give it away in fear that someone would come back trying to sue me for a broken arm or something. After riding the bike for about a week and a half, it froze up to the point where it wouldn't move at all. I got some old grease, which helped a little. Then, one bright and sunny day, I was taking the bike apart, when I noticed some rust on the crown. I took a closer look and it was a crack, and there were 2 more on the other side. To make my day better, Ballistic has no website or phone number that I can find, and the Parts Service phone no. on my bike has been busy for 2 weeks. Really, now how is a 1-800 no. going to be busy while trying every hour on the hour from 3pm to 4am!?
Then I find the fork to be recalled for breaking in half, or something, but my serial no. wasn't included. What a bunch of crap! Even if it was, I'd have no way of contacting the so called company anyway. If you work for Ballistic, you should be ashamed of yourself because of all the crap you put people through. I can get better service at a self-serve gas station.

If you want a whole lot of nothing, then I highly suggest purchasing the Ballistic 105 fork.

Favorite Trail:   where do I start?

Purchased At:   Toys R' Us

Similar Products Used:   n/a

Bike Setup:   I got this Mongoose R-30 with a Ballistic 105 fork at Toys R' Us for $150 to have a cheapo bike to run around town in, instead of having my new Giant Warp stolen at the grocery store. Bad Choice.

Submitted by Andrew a Cross Country Rider from Cali

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2001

Strengths:    Lasted 5 yrs!!!

Weaknesses:    Too much front to back play in forks from the git go, didn't like the stiff setup...

Bottom Line:
This shock came with my bike, was not impressed with lack of support for the forks, LBS didn't even know who made em. I ended up visiting Ace Hardware and bought a couple of springs for the shock, took out 2 elastomers from each side and threw the springs in, MUCH IMPROVEMENT!!! lol, talk about homegrown... anyways, never rebuilt, tightened screws here an there, just managed to put stress cracks in the crown (both sides) and blew out both sides of forks recently after 5 yrs and thousands of miles of HARD ridin'.... Not bad fer a cheap fork... (NOTE: with any shock setup, you should ALWAYS check your forks before/after a ride to make sure it is up to the next ride. Don't get caught with yer shorts down an take a nasty fall cuz u didn't check yer gear)

Favorite Trail:   any gnarly one....

Bike Setup:   '96 GT Tempest, lots of upgrades....

Submitted by ben robinson a Downhiller from kalgoorlie,WA, australia

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2001

Strengths:    change the pressure, softness and how much travel

Weaknesses:    cant set it to exact pressure to not bottom out. its either more or not enough. i prefer more.

Bottom Line:
if you are a serious downhiller i do advise you to get one for the comfort and speed.

Favorite Trail:   perth,mundaring, WA, australia

Purchased At:   Bryces downhill works

Similar Products Used:   none i know of.

Bike Setup:   i have the spring half way down the shock and the compression on soft as.

Submitted by Steve a Cross Country Rider from Penticton, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2001

Strengths:    Nothing

Weaknesses:    Lets See.....Messed up 'clank' sound when compressing, bottom out after hopping off curbs, Not strong, not even adjustable preload, no damping. Hell even RST makes better shocks then this

Bottom Line:
I spent $300 at walmart a few years ago on a mongoose with ballistic 105 shocks. They were good for about an hour. After that the clanking noise wouldnt go away, it was too stiff, and a few months later one of the 'arms' snapped after a pitiful 3 foot gap. I was lucky i didnt get hurt. I stuck a screwdriver between the crown and the broken 'arm' to hold the shocks together. I took another 3 foot jump, sure enough the other 'arm' snaps as well as the screw driver....I was unconscious and woke up in shock for a few hours in the hospital. Lost 3 teeth, concussion and broken shoulder. Walmart wouldnt even refund anything. What a piece of garbage shock....everything else on that walmart bike was great though, super light, great brakes, strong rims and good shifters. It was an awesome bike too, despite coming from walmart. I shoulda put in some RS Judy's or something.

Purchased At:   Wal Mart :)

Similar Products Used:   RST 281EL, Rock Shox Jett, 2001 RS Judy XC's, Marzocchi Bomber Z1 QR20.

Bike Setup:   None right now, gotta buy another new one.

Submitted by Marc Hawk a Downhiller from Mirror, AB, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2001

Strengths:    Lots of travel, cheap

Weaknesses:    bottom out way to easy, ugly, noisy, weak

Bottom Line:
These shocks are not a good mach for this bike. they bottom out on small jumps. ugly as hell. good for obsorbing small rocks and bumps.

Favorite Trail:   psychomatic

Purchased At:   Toy's R Us

Bike Setup:   Dual suspention, 1999 Dunlop Whiplash, XRims, Shimano rapid fire shifters, 850lbs rear shock, Fox racing decals, Front & rear fenders, Shimano Altus crankset.

Submitted by Shane a Downhiller from North Van

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2001

Strengths:    none at all

Weaknesses:    The shock is damn ugly, bottoms out on curbs, doesn't sound sturdy, and it can't be adjusted, also it is made or low grade materials!

Bottom Line:
Ballistics are really bad! They bottom out soo easily. Being an extreme DH biker, these shocks bite the big one! Made of bad material they are low end shocks! I mean really low! i did a simple 4 foot drop and the steerer tube bent! and I only weigh 100 lbs. So, think twice if u r intending on buying this! it maybe ok for city riding or whatever, but all in all.. i wouldn't ever go near it again! It doesn't even deserve one flamin chili!

Favorite Trail:   Ladies Only , Circus

Similar Products Used:   Nothing this shi!!y, but i have used rock shox judy TT,C, Xc, and da Boxxers

Bike Setup:   Currently a Brodie Bruzza 2001 after i got rid of that old POS mongoose

Submitted by Lance Lorenz from North Bend, OR

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2001

Strengths:    hmmmmm. Well it has a reflector on it. Those are good. Its plush until you bottom it out. 60 mm of travel helps but not much.

Weaknesses:    -I think the fork is being recalled but I donno.
-Bottom's out faster than you can say clonk. I weigh 105 and can bottom it out doing wheelies.
-Heavy, I think, (Im too afraid to take it off I probably cant put it togther)
-Noisy. Makes a loud Whoosh noise. I guess thats not good.
-Dropouts suck. Look like tin foil. About as thick as tin foil too. Jut out way too far. If they were smart they wouldve put em under the fork legs. Or else reinforced them better. I heard about some kid that broke his dropouts going off an 8 inch or so drop.
-Not Enough Travel

Bottom Line:
Crap. Im takin this thing back to Fred Meyers, since I'd rather have a non recaled one.

Favorite Trail:   Empire Lakes

Purchased At:   Freddy Meyers

Similar Products Used:   I just bought a Judy XC but havent ridden it yet cause its going on my new frame.

Bike Setup:   Good Ole Royce Union. The fork says 600 XL on it.
got a great specialized Tire on it.
Bike is covered with WD-40. Startin to rust.

Submitted by Billy Reid a Cross Country Rider from Cedar Rapids

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2001

Strengths:    None to speak of.

Weaknesses:    Loud noises, no rebound control, easily bottoms out, untunable, heavy, flexy, cheaply made, etc.

Bottom Line:
I would not reccoment this fork for anyone. Even people who are just getting into off-road riding or really need a fork in short time would do better with a rigid fork. At least a decent rigit fork will go in the direction you point it.

Favorite Trail:   whoop-de-doops

Purchased At:   dumpster behind bike shop

Similar Products Used:   I've never used something similar to this POS, but I have ridden SX Carbon, Judy XC, Z1, Z5.

Bike Setup:   The fork was on a POS that was claimed to be made of corbon steel-titanium-vanadium alloy. I have a Trek Fuel 100 with Mars Super (no brake bosses), Hope Mini, Crossmax Disc UST, Gripshift Woody, etc., etc., etc.

Submitted by Scott Sipes a Downhiller from Ben Lomond

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2000

Strengths:    Cheap

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
This is good for beginners or people that can't afford the more expensive products. It is better than most people make it sound, coming from a downhiller who does some pretty wicked stuff. All downhillers around here and on MTBR like it!

Favorite Trail:   Black Sage, Gazos Creek