Amp F3 Front Shock

3.6/5 (104 Reviews)

Amp F3

Submitted by paramount66

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2012

Strengths:    SUPER LIGHT, SUPER STIFF, SUPER EFFICIENT, GORGEOUS! Tracks like a smart bomb! Looks like a TERMINATOR Lasts like a Titanium tooth!

Weaknesses:    Not a down hill or dirt jumping fork!

Bottom Line:
I have had this fork for more years than I remember. I have Cross countryed to commuted on this fork for years and I have never had a complaint! Rebound damper needs to be rebuilt, but still hands like a champ. This suspension fork is just like a rigid fork until it hits a bump. Then it absorbs the shock then goes back to being rigid. Steering accuracy is like a rigid fork, but lighter than some! I HAVE LOVED THIS FORK SINCE DAY ONE AND I STILL DO! I just wish that these people still made bike stuff. Fifteen years later these people stiil support and service their product, WHO ELSE CAN SAY THAT?

Submitted by Jerry

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2012

Strengths:    Light doesnt feel like a suspension fork until you ride a rigid fork. Great service and support. never damaged mine but have bent a set of rock shox.

Weaknesses:    No longer manufactured and I need another one for my sons Slingshot.

Bottom Line:
I have had the AMP for since 1993 and have never had a problem with it. I have had three diffrent brands and this is the only one that has never given me a problem. I am looking for a 1 inch one for my sons bike if anyone is looking to sell. Great service and support.

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox,

Submitted by suteck a Cross Country Rider from cornwall, NY USA

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2010

Strengths:    Works like a ridged fork, without the teeth jarring impacts. I've had this fork for about 10 years. NEVER had a problem.

Weaknesses:    the later models are easier to rebuild. but i've done it a few times now and it's a peice of cake. Customer service is A+

Bottom Line:
buy AMP and just ride.

Purchased At:   I don't even remembe

Similar Products Used:   None. This was my first shock and I still use it. If i ever got a new one it would be an AMP

Bike Setup:   Hard tail aluminum trek, Amp F3, friction shifters (yes old school but no adjustsment necessary)

Submitted by justin a Cross Country Rider from mars,mars,mars

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2006

Strengths:    super light, decent plushness, doesnt feel like a motorcycle. Rebound doesnt need adjusting, because its set well. works great for climbing, looks cool imo.

Weaknesses:    not for riding up stairs, drops, running into fire hydrants

Bottom Line:
fork is great for people who are willing to sacrifice their motocross travel for a fork that weighs half as much as a marz mx. great for moderately smooth single track. Super solid for steering. Again, many of these posters say the fork makes them unconfident, they break etc. yes, these forks are not for people who like to ride directly into large objects(stumps, boulders, small children). But in return your front end wil feel very responsive, and if adjusted right, the fork will take the vibrations as well as the larger knocks. Although they arent really worth the retail, if you can find one for cheap, the trail rider will not be dissapointed. I also never once had a problem with diving or scariness, and i ride fairly fast and aggresively. might not be good for people > 200lbs. They are also easy to rebuild and mod the damper unit.

Favorite Trail:   happy

Purchased At:   yardsale

Similar Products Used:   marzocchi comp(air and coil versions), rst, rock shock, older manitou

Bike Setup:   litech magnesium frame (3 lb!), amp f1, various shimano, alloy goodies,ritchey tin can,scott bailing wire, duct tape.

Submitted by Art Fisher a Cross Country Rider from Sacrmento, California

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2006

Strengths:    Light weight, quality manufacturing. Any decent mechanic could work on this fork for minor repairs.

Weaknesses:    Limited adjustability of suspension, user has to change springs to adjust compression.

Bottom Line:
I've ridden my AMP F-3 XC solidly since 1996. Have sent the fork back for rebuild (new bushings, rebuilt oil dampers) three times. Was riding 4+ times per week, 3 hours per day (on rocky terrain) for 4 years, slowed down to 3 times per week in 2001. After 10 years, I would not consider giving up my AMP F-3 fork. I've looked at Zokes, Rock Shox, Fox, etc. Each have great products, but nothing that compares, in my mind, to the value and the predictability of the AMP. (NOTE: my current ride replaced an earlier bike equipped with a Rock Shox Mag air/oil fork).

I have nothing but praise for AMP as a company. AMP has remarkable customer service, when the fork went back for rebuild, it was returned within 7 calendar days. Once when I'd gotten the fork back, the Techs at AMP had cleaned the fork and replaced all of my stickers, it didn't even look like the same fork.

Under the conditions I ride (XC with bumpy/rocky downhills/technical trails), the AMP fork responds fine. Longer travel would be OK, but you learn to ride a better line when you don't have the benefits of longer travel in your fork. Most riders who complain of limited travel need to learn better riding techniques in order to pick the better line.

I broken the main spring once, AMP sends new springs free of charge. A new spring takes about 15 hours of riding to break in (not bad). Springs are made by Eibach, a solid manufacturing company.

Like all machines with moving parts, dust and dirt are enemy to bushings and bearings. This fork is no different. With a little attention to cleanliness, the oil damper and the bushings will give you years of trouble free operation. The key to longevity is getting the right recoil spring for your weight.

I paid full price for the fork when I bought it (new). I would still pay full price today. At 2.4 lbs and responsive customer service, I give the fork and the company high marks.

Most products out there today are pretty good. This product ranks right up there with the rest.

Purchased At:   Garner's Palo Alto

Similar Products Used:   Test rode a Girvin shock

Bike Setup:   1996 Steelman XC hardtail, custom built

Submitted by Biker Guy a Cross Country Rider from Seattle, WA

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2005

Strengths:    Light

Weaknesses:    Breaks

Bottom Line:
I am suprised to see a 2005 review. I have not ridden with the F-2/F-3 except ``around the parking lot kinds of things'. But two second-hand experiences. I used to ride with a guy who had the steel-leg version and loved it for a while then he noticed both legs were cracking near both rim brake bosses. AMP replaced it but he was out a fork in the meanwhile. Good news is it gave him time to think about it and find another fork. When he got the replacement fork NO WAY did he want to ride it (nor did I want to buy it from him). Other: I used to ride with another guy I first saw lying on his back surrounded by paramedics and police after the steer tube on his AMP broke after a couple years of ordinary riding. I saw the steer tube -- classic fatigue. AMP charged him for replacement parts, never mind his concussion and emergency services bill. Once he got it repaired no way did I want to ride it, never mind buy it! My guess is newer versions work better but still scary, and some of the AMP designs demonstrate misunderstanding of basic engineering (like the double downtube -- d'oh!) which does not inspire confidence.

Favorite Trail:   Hoot 'n a holler

Similar Products Used:   Telescopic forks

Submitted by Dorkian from Austin

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2005

Strengths:    Excellent fork...not much travel but very solid. Mine is set up with the black coil and red bushing as I'm over 200lbs. Legs are stiff. Overall rides like a rigid with a little room for forgiveness so you can save your wrists.

Weaknesses:    A bit ugly, a bit strange...but who wants to be like everyone else?

Bottom Line:
Don't believe the negative reviews. Never had a problem with diving while braking. Make sure you get the correct type of spring/bushing for your weight. Not a lot of travel, but do you really need 10"?

Favorite Trail:   Muleshoe Bend

Purchased At:   e-blah

Similar Products Used:   Marzocchi & Rock Shox Judy TT

Bike Setup:   Boston baked bean brown Bontrager Privateer S set up as singlespeed, WTB nanoraptors, riser bar, canti in the back, V on the fork. Ugly!

Submitted by James a Cross Country Rider from Salt lake City

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2003

Strengths:    Light and funky

Weaknesses:    It doesn't work as a shock. It's more like a rigid fork that wiggles than a suspension fork as it doesn’t soak up the small stuff and blows through the travel on larger hits. Falling rate suspension does not work on a 2 in. travel fork.

Bottom Line:
This fork needs less maintenance than a lot of other forks on the market. However, this is not a result of higher quality. It is simply that this “shock” simply performs so poorly initially, that it’s hard to notice when it stops working properly.

Similar Products Used:   None like this, thank God. I've owned a few of the old RS-1s, 1 quadra, 1 judy, 1 Duke, and 1 Marzocchi.

Bike Setup:   It is no longer on any bike as I gave it to my friend who thought it looked cool and would make a hip decoration. I couldn’t even use it as a paper weight as it constantly reminded me that I had spent money on it and was lowering my self esteem.

Submitted by Keith a Racer from Ontario

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2003

Strengths:    Light: 2.2 Lbs, Very stiff laterally. Low maintainance.

Weaknesses:    Only 1.5 inches travel after sag.

Bottom Line:
I bought my Amp in 1997 when I put together my Moots YBB dream x-country race bike. It was and still is the lightest fork going- period. But, after many happy years on the Amp, I am retiring the ol' fella and am going with a heavy but much more efficient and longer travel Fox Terralogic F100X fork. I visited my bro' on the North Shore of Vancouver, rode (free-riding) the trails on his "big bike" and discovered the merits of sacrificing some weight for long, smooth travel- even for us x-country geeks. I would recommend the Amp to x-country racers who have two bikes- one for smooth climbing courses (use the Amp) but have the other bike set up with a modern telescopic fork. The limited travel of the Amp impedes your performance on all but smooth terrain when comared to even an 80mm travel fork. And yes, it compresses when braking. But-The fork is stiff and tracks very well. I've only had to have it serviced once- which the company (or whats left of it) was happy to do via mail. It has no "stiction" common to telescopic forks- its smooth- and it doesnt bottom often depite its limited travel.
I've enjoyed the fork, and if I can afford a second full-suspension bike some day I may re-mount the Amp on my Moots and put the new Fox on the FS bike to address both types of race terrain. But given only one choice, I'd say the Amp doesnt offer enough travel for most riding conditions.

Favorite Trail:   Hardwood Hills

Purchased At:   Hardwood Hills

Similar Products Used:   Rock shock Mag 21 (this dates me!) and Fox Talas

Bike Setup:   Moots YBB, Sweetwings cranks/BB, Mavic Crossrocks, XTR, Moots post, stem, bars, Speedplay pedals (ti)

Submitted by Todd Manies a Racer from Redding Ca

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2003

Strengths:    LightWeight, Responsive as a True Rigid Fork

Weaknesses:    Is not Quite as Plush as the Newest Technology.

Bottom Line:
Dont buy into the Negative Reviews this fork gets, i bought new in 1993 (Univega Cromoly Version) then i got a free Aluminum Leg Version upgrade for free Shortly after..
i have only had the Fork Serviced twice since 1993/1994 and would recremend this Fork to anyone looking for a Lightweight Alternative to Rock ShoX or Manitous.

Very Well Built fork and i have raced on this fork for years.
Only way i would get rid of this fork is POSSIBLY for a 2.6 Lbs Rock Shox SID.

Favorite Trail:   Any

Purchased At:   Village Cycle Redding Ca.

Similar Products Used:   Manitou,Rock Shocks

Submitted by Dan Howler from Elgin Illinois

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2003

Strengths:    i flatLand

This is a great bike it is my 2 week with it and i can already do some realy Bad ass trix.It is so easy to get used to too.Really great.BUY THIS BIKE

Weaknesses:    Not realy and found...the brakes dont last forever though

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike...Worth $300

Purchased At:   Spindocter IL

Similar Products Used:   Haro F5

Bike Setup:   1 piece...changed mine with 2 piece much better

Submitted by Zdenek Bartos a Weekend Warrior from Brno, Czech Republic

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2002

Bottom Line:
Subject: RE: copy of the mail to M-B
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 21:11:18 +0200
From: Brion La Belle
To: "'zbartos@email.cz'"
We were the only ones building the Mercedes bikes and we are not doing it anymore. We are still supporting what is out there repair and service wise for the shocks, disc brakes, and the forks. We do not have any of the following available:

1) Frames or complete bikes
2) Disc brake calipers
3) F4blt forks
4) F3xc forks with carbon legs (aluminum leg version is still available @ $315.00)

We do have:

1) Repair parts for forks, disc brakes,frame pivots, and shocks in stock and we can service the parts as well.

Brion La Belle

-----Original Message-----
From: Bartosovi [mailto:zbartos@email.cz]
Sent: Monday, October 21, 2002 1:42 PM
To: brion@amp-research.com
Subject: copy of the mail to M-B

Hello Brion,

attached is the copy of my mail to Mercedes-Benz (only for your information). If you know the answer, I'd like to obtain it from you too....

************************************************************
Dear friends,

you are writing on your web about the fact that "All the bikes are codesigned with AMP research and handmade in the U.S.A. ....". On the other side the AMP Research on the web page
http://www.amp-research.com/store/bikeparts.htm write: "KEY FACTS: As much as we enjoy riding AMP mountain bikes, we are no longer building them. Sorry!"

Could you say me please, which factory is now building the new AMP/Mercedes-Benz frames, forks, hubs, disc brakes, dampers and all other necessary spare parts and if are the above mentioned components available separately ??????

Thank you in advance for your answer.

The satisfied owner of 4 AMP forks, 3 AMP disc brakes and 1 AMP B4 frame, Zdenek Bartos - http://zbartos.tripod.com .
************************************************************

Favorite Trail:   Javorniky Mtns., Lago di Garda

Purchased At:   used form a friend

Submitted by Mike A a Weekend Warrior from Miami, FL

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2002

Strengths:    Stiff, precise, LIGHT LIGHT LIGHT

Weaknesses:    Very short travel, Rebuilding could be a problem

Bottom Line:
First of if you are a 250lb freerider forget this fork. With the advances in fork technology this fork is left to fill a niche for the light XC rider who cares about his bike's equipment. It requires that the dampner be filled with oil every so often and the bushings should be wiped clean regularly after riding... THAT'S IT!! This fork is super light and the springload is adjustable. For light XC riding, some rocks and roots and small drops, this thing is great. I have never needed to repair or repalce anything on it, though it's my second one. The first one had the fork legs come loose after 3 rides. Replaced at no cost several years back, doubt this would be the case now. For the $100.00 bucks it supposedly going for it's a great deal for a second ride. My Zaskar is about 21lbs, with ZAC19 wheels on Deore hubs (heavy, but I got them cheap). With lighter wheels this would be sub 20lb ride. Funny how people look at them as if they are some weird thing (well they are actually) but they work!!!

Live for the ride, ride for life.......

Favorite Trail:   Oleta, Amelia

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   Truly there are no similar forks

Bike Setup:   GT Zaskar, XT XTR mix, Sachs Shifters (old but they rule), ZAC19/Deore wheelset

Submitted by Danny a Cross Country Rider from Minnetonka

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2002

Strengths:    Light, stiff, reliable.

Weaknesses:    Hard to find replacement parts for, a bit dated now.

Bottom Line:
I’ve been riding my AMP for nearly 6 years now, with great results! It’s a bit stiff, and not as plush as some of the newer telescopic forks that I’ve ridden recently, but it’s still nearly 2 pounds lighter, and virtually maintenance free. I haven’t encountered a single problem with mine. I know it’s to the point where it needs rebuilt, but I’ve ridden 6 hard seasons on this fork. (It’s the all aluminum version) I had the chromoly version before that, and I generally like it, but the pivots weren’t as good as this fork.

I’m a finesse rider, and lightweight, and I take care of my equipment. It makes a huge difference in any piece of equipment on your bike. I recommend this fork for XC riding, if you can still find one.

Favorite Trail:   Levi Trail Mounds