Performance Topo Brake Booster

3.88/5 (17 Reviews)

Performance Topo

Submitted by Wayne a Weekend Warrior from Front Range, Colorado, USA

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2004

Strengths:    Inexpensive, light

Bottom Line:
Frame flex was noticed with XT brakes and adding the brake bridge helped reduce it. There is still some flexing, but that only happens when you really clamp down on the levers - under normal riding/usage there is no flex.

Purchased At:   Performance

Bike Setup:   Specialized Rockhopper

Submitted by zed from monterey, CA

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2002

Strengths:    -didn't break
-cheap

Weaknesses:    -doesn't really improve brake performance
-looks cheap

Bottom Line:
It seems to have worked for some of the other reviewers but I have not noticed any discernible difference in braking performance. It's cheap though.

Submitted by Copnnor a Weekend Warrior from Denver, CO USA

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2001

Strengths:    Cheap, widely available.

Weaknesses:    Not very effective compared to Salsa booster.

Bottom Line:
When I upgraded to Vees I noted poor front braking performance and obvious movement of brake bosses on this year of Judy. Tried the Topo booster for about 1 month but did not notice much improvement in either stopping power or reduction in boss movement. Salsa booster has cured both problems. I would consider this product if you don't want to buy the overpriced Salsa boosters but realize it is not as good either.

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Salsa

Bike Setup:   Trek 970/'96 Judy XC with springs

Submitted by Mark a Cross Country Rider from Tucson, Arizona

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2001

Strengths:    Works as advertised
Nice engine-turned finish
Very cheap

Weaknesses:    Poorly cut screw thread on supplied screw

Bottom Line:
The AMP is the first bike I've ever owned that exhibited some outward flex in the seatstay after the V-brake was applied (The B-5 was designed for discs after all). So I installed this booster on the back atop the V-brake mount. One of the supplied longer screws had poorly cut threads so I had to supply one of my own. Other than that, it went on fine and stopped the frame expansion/flex when the rear brake was applied. I'm satisfied.

Bike Setup:   1997 AMP B-5

Submitted by Jeff Roberts a Weekend Warrior from Silver Spring MD

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2000

Strengths:    Cheap, stiff...

Weaknesses:    ...but not *really* stiff. No set screw.

Bottom Line:
I have one on the back, and that brake is a little less squishy than the one up front. I don't know how stiff a Suntour shock is really supposed to be so I guess I should get one up front. I'm disappointed, though, the booster still flexes, seemingly almost as much as the front w/out one. Wish I hadn't paid full price. Might as well have gone with the Salsa.

Buy only on sale.

Bike Setup:   '00 Giant Rincon SE

Submitted by Trick a Weekend Warrior from Huntsville AL

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2000

Strengths:    stupid cheap and they work

Weaknesses:    not super stiff

Bottom Line:
I got them(2-front and back) for pretty cheap-$10 each I think, they aren't the stiffest- but they work and they dont cost as much as the shimanos.

Favorite Trail:   old goat

Bike Setup:   Airborne Black Widow, XT, Manitou SXR

Submitted by Chris H a Weekend Warrior from Doylestown, PA

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2000

Strengths:    With Team Performance discount, they were only $9... pretty good price.

Weaknesses:    Not really all that stiff.
Didn't like the machining pattern it came with, but five minutes with a roloc pad and air grinder and it was nice, smooth, pretty aluminum. :)

Bottom Line:
When I installed the XT V's on my wife's bike, I noticed the back brake felt kinda spongy. Checking it, I noticed that the chainstays were spreading noticably when the brake was applied. Braking power was great anyhow, but the frame was really flexing. I noticed Performance had the bridges for $9 and figured I'd give them a try. Put them on and I can't say I noticed any large increase in stiffness... in fact I can still see the seatstays flexing. If I hold the bridge in my hand, off the bike, I can flex it a bit.

I guess it does help... and it's dirt cheap at $9 (the stronger braces run much more!) so I'll give it 4 flamin' turds for the price.

If you're looking for a little bit more stiffness, they're okay. If you're looking for rock-solid performance, look elsewhere.

Favorite Trail:   Ralph Stover

Bike Setup:   '95 Stumpjumper cromoly frame, Z-2 Superfly fork, '00 XT V's

Submitted by tony king a Cross Country Rider from colorado springs,co

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2000

Strengths:    improves braking performance

Weaknesses:    Is it as good as others even considering price?

Bottom Line:
I was looking at these booster reviews and noticed a trend. There seem to be a disporprortionately (man, Im a good speller) large number of cannondale owners complaining about frame flex. Bottom line is that I have two bikes that are exactly the same (Cdale f700) except one has massive frame flex in the rear while the other is super stiff. I think that there must be some discrepencies in cannondales heat treating process (cannondale heat treats their frames after they are welded) maybe one of my bikes was annealed too much. The Topo Booster helped fix th eproblem but it still isn't as good as it could be.

Favorite Trail:   anyone with me and my bike on it

Bike Setup:   cdale f700 s-works wheelset

Submitted by Jose Sabas a Weekend Warrior from Emeryville, CA

Date Reviewed: August 28, 1999

Strengths:
cheap, effective

Weaknesses:
aesthetically boring

Bottom Line:
Stopped the seat stay flex and increased the rear brake power. It works and comes in a choice of colors.

classic Pine Mtn loop, up Deer Park - Pine Mtn - 17 Knolls - down Repack

1 Year

Mounted on rear brake - Trek 970, Halson PDS, XT

Submitted by Jim a Weekend Warrior from Palm Bay, Florida

Date Reviewed: August 9, 1999

Strengths:
Cost, Looks, Performance

Weaknesses:
none so far

Bottom Line:
Stopped the flex in the Judy.s, especially when jammin the brakes on when you going downhill at 30 mph and have to make a turn at the bottom of the hill!

Santos

3 months

Trek VRX 300. R/S Judy XC, Xt/Lx Drivetrain, Avid 20 Brakes, Avid Speed Dial Levers

Submitted by Adam a Weekend Warrior from Dothan, AL

Date Reviewed: July 4, 1999

Strengths:
inexpensive, does the job, looks cool

Weaknesses:

Bottom Line:
For the price it is a great addition. Improved front braking by +50%. Also eliminated xt v brake squeel. Will try Salsa next but these work great.

SuperV 1000, DD60 headshock, Fox Alps 5R

Submitted by Chris a Cross-Country Rider from Sacramento

Date Reviewed: March 30, 1999

Strengths:
Solid; inexpensive.

Weaknesses:
None.

Bottom Line:
Outstanding value! Super stiff and good looking. Easy to set-up.

Mt. Tamalpais

Cannondale; Fatty Headshok

Submitted by Matt a Cross-Country Rider from il

Date Reviewed: March 28, 1999

Strengths:
cheap, tough looking.

Weaknesses:
they were sold out of red

Bottom Line:
it is very stiff and improves braking alot. some people may not like it because its not brand name but it does the job and does a damn good job of it. i recomend it for people who dont want to spend alot of money on brake boosters. i give it 5 flaming lava chunks!

palos

less than 1 month

specialized stumpjump, manitou sx-tpc fork

Submitted by Special K a Weekend Warrior from Southern California

Date Reviewed: March 27, 1999

Strengths:
CHEAP!

Weaknesses:
Wimpy looking.

Bottom Line:
My rear V Brake worked fine without the booster. Thought I would try the Performance Topo brake booster to see if it would make a difference. Very slight improvement if any. Maybe I'll try the DKG booster next. But for the price of 10 bucks you cant really complain much.

Any one that ascends before descends.

less than 1 month

Schwinn Moab 2 with Judy C.

Submitted by Crash a Cross-Country Rider from Radfor, VA

Date Reviewed: March 24, 1999

Strengths:
Cheap price

Weaknesses:
not really effective, not very aesthetically pleasing

Bottom Line:
No sir, I don't like it. It's a bit heavy, when compared to some other boosters, (I know, we're talking about 35 paperclips) but the arms are too thin and even with the booster on, my brakes still push apart my Judy's arch. I'm going to try an Azonic and give up on this Topo product. If you've only got a little flex, alright, but don't try and brace aluminum with it is my recommendation

Brush Mountain

Using with avid 1d 2.0's on a 96 Judy XC

Free/Almost free map/topo website shoot out!

Ok i think its time to put a resource thread together and if its content grows into useful info, it should be sticky. We have dabbling with various threads, digging into search archives etc....lets make the current. @@@What website do you use for free/almost free downloads of good maps and topo ... Read More »

GPSmap 62S stopped showing topo map

I was on a trip to the Grand Canyon a few weeks ago. First day, the GPS worked great. Second day it was no longer showing the AZ Topo map in the Map view. I didn't change any settings on the unit. Just powered it off the previous day and powered it on the next. Its been that way ever since. Anyon ... Read More »

Garmin Topo Map for Utah?

Heading to Park City at the end of the month. Brining my Garmin Edge 800. I believe I need to download maps. I'm presuming this is the right one: [url]https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=255&pID=27611[/url] Any validation or input would be appreciated!Read More »

National Geographic TOPO! - Mid-Atlantic

Anybody on here used this software? I'm seeing mixed reviews online. Specifically interested in VA/GWNF right now.Read More »

Where to get topo maps?

I just started getting into adventure racing and want to practice reading topo maps. Where is the best place to find similar maps to the ones you would get in an AR?Read More »