Odyssey Titanium Brake Booster Brake Booster

4.21/5 (14 Reviews)

Odyssey Titanium Brake Booster

Submitted by Genital Apparatus a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Canada

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2003

Strengths:    Looks cool, stiffens up frame for more solid feeling brakes.

Weaknesses:    As others have said, the brake booster becomes another place to collect mud, as well as making it that much more difficult to work on this specific area of the bike. In general, it just adds more complexity to the bike, which don't care for all that much.

Bottom Line:
I bought this product hoping to get better, more precise braking, and that's exactly what I got. I don't spend a whole lot of time riding in the mud, so I'm not bothered by this product's inherent tendency to collect mud. Five peppers all 'round!

Favorite Trail:   Etobicoke Creek, Urban Trials

Purchased At:   Cyclepath

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   2002 Specialized Hardrock Pro, RaceFace handlebar and stem, Shimano Deore drivetrain.

Submitted by Josh a Cross Country Rider from Fairfax, VA

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2002

Strengths:    Strong, light, looks good...does what it's supposed to do.

Weaknesses:    Obviously, it is not very useful if you don't really crank down the brake bolts.....so little girly-men need not put this on......

Bottom Line:
Obviously, not everybody needs a brake booster depending on your frame type and type of riding. But if you do, this one is inexpensive, looks good, and does what it's supposed to.

Similar Products Used:   Why would I waste money on trying another product when this one works great?

Bike Setup:   Spicer custom aluminum, Mega-9 XT/XTR drivetrain, Manitou SXRTDS fork, Bontrager Crowbar, King HS, Sun Rhyno Lites, XTR and Ringle hubs

Submitted by Grand Pooh Bear a Weekend Warrior from North Kingstown, RI, USA

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2000

Strengths:    Light and works very well.

Weaknesses:    Like any u-plate creates a cumbersome environment for working in that area. Collects debris more than without.

Bottom Line:
It does what it is supposed to do. I have a carbon fiber frame and I literally could see the seat stays flex under braking loads. Now the flex is 90% gone and the weight added is negligible. Plus my brakes work better. I've been using the one I've had for four years or more and it still works great.
If your frame cannot handle braking loads and the stays flex, buy one of these.

Favorite Trail:   Breakheart Trail, Arcadia

Similar Products Used:   Odyssey Al Brake Booster.

Bike Setup:   Trek 9900

Submitted by Bax a Cross Country Rider from Vista CA USA

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2000

Strengths:    cheap, works as claims, looks great, light, signinficantly stiffens and improves brake feel

Weaknesses:    may not be on sale at Supergo for $15 like mine was

Bottom Line:
This works, it's cheap for $15 at Supergo, it looks good and it's cheaper than upgrading brakes. Buy it if you want a noticeable difference in brake feel but don't want to buy new brakes

Favorite Trail:   Camp Pendleton

Similar Products Used:   N/A

Bike Setup:   Fisher Mamba stock for now

Submitted by Quint a Weekend Warrior from Waco, Tx

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2000

Strengths:    Price, looks

Weaknesses:    Collects mud easily

Bottom Line:
I bought these in hopes of increasing the stopping power
of my Dia Compe Vc735 brakes, and they worked. However,
I've since changed brakes to Tektro Quartz MT 20's because
of the adjustment problems with the Dia Compe's. The Tektro's are parallel push with a leaf spring incorporated
and flex the rear seat stays a bit. The Odyssey booster
helps a little with the flex issue, but I don't think it
is intended to reduce flex. It's intended to boost the
stopping power and it does that.

Favorite Trail:   Cameron Park, Waco

Bike Setup:   99 FSR

Submitted by Matt a Weekend Warrior from Berkeley, CA

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2000

Strengths:    light, inexpensive, nostalgic purple anodized washer things

Weaknesses:    not strong enough to eliminate flex

Bottom Line:
decent, but not a good product. The Salsas I had on before reduced flex probably... 99%. I set my brakes with no toe-in and after 5 months the pad wear was perfectly even. That's pretty indicative of no flex. On a whim I blew $25 on a pair of Odysseys and, although they're a lot lighter, high-pressure braking caused something I'd never heard before: brake squeal! Mind you, I weigh 200 lbs, so it takes a considerable amount of force to stop my bike, but the only way for me to stop the squeal was to switch to KoolStop Thinline pads.
These boosters probably reduce flex about 60-70%. After using the best, the Odysseys just don't cut it for me.

Similar Products Used:   Salsa Arc de Tri-Oomphe

Bike Setup:   Airborne Lucky Strike Ti, '99 SID XC fork

Submitted by Agent Z a Downhiller from Norcal

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2000

Strengths:    Looks good
Works okay
Good price

Weaknesses:    Didn't make a huge difference on my GT STS. (I guess I can't complain... that just means the frame was made well)
More metal = more places to trap mud.
Lightening holes - even more mud trappers!

Bottom Line:
This can make any bike look cooler. If your frame flexes a lot, buy this. It will increase your braking power and will make em feel less squishy.

I bought it from 12 bucks and I think it was worth it since it made my bike look cooler.

Favorite Trail:   Mammoth Bullet

Bike Setup:   GT STS 1000 set up for slalom

Submitted by Tazz a Weekend Warrior from Fullerton CA USA

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2000

Strengths:    Ti is always good. shiny, goes well with my aluminum tube setting. Looks better than most boosters

Weaknesses:    the fact that i have to use it. the screw seems to get lose over time use

Bottom Line:
I really needed this booster, and it works well. I dont know how hard those other guys press their brakes. As for me, it was a very noticeable difference between with it, and without it. I wish i could of bought it for $12 like some of the guys, but i dont regret buying it. I dont think using the more expensive boosters is going to make significant differerence over function. Unless you are a gram counter, you cant go wrong with this booster. How much lighter do you want?!

Favorite Trail:   Aliso Viejo

Bike Setup:   GT hardtail w/ DHO 4" travel fork

Submitted by Mitch a Weekend Warrior from Indiana

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2000

Strengths:    PRICE!!!!!!!!!! $12 at Supergo. Weight. Titanium is flashy.

Weaknesses:    Didn't reduce as much flex as I had hoped.

Bottom Line:
Bike still flexes in the back end but quite a bit less. The wheel is already locked up before the flex so it is doing it's job. It just still has a noticable flex. Nothing's perfect. The price really is great though.

Favorite Trail:   Ghost Track

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   Airborne Lucky Strike, XT package.

Submitted by Ace a Cross Country Rider from Wisconsin

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2000

Strengths:    Light,inexpensive, high "wow it's titanium factor" looks good, works well.

Bottom Line:
Can't beat the performance at twice the price. ($12 at Supergo.com)
I actually measured the flex at the rear of my bike before and after mounting. The result was an 80% reduction in flex!
You can spend MUCH more for a flashy carbon unit, but doubling the price to get anymore than an 80% improvement would be foolish.
One thing to remember it that you CAN flex ANY booster if you squeeze hard enough. With this unit PROPERLY installed, flex is near zero when using lever preasures high enough to lock the wheel on pavement.
5 flamming piles of dung!

Bike Setup:   Giant aluminum with many upgrades

Submitted by profeign a Weekend Warrior from SF, CA

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2000

Strengths:    Cheap ($12 from supergo), titanium is neat

Weaknesses:    didn't really help all that much

Bottom Line:
I have an RST delta HL on my lts and I put a topo on the back and it really helped because the avid arch rivals can really put some stress on the triangle. Flex was lessened significantly. On the front I put the odyssey and wasn't really that impressed, flex wasn't such a big issue since I'm not nearly as hard on my front brake, but I can still move the bosses even when I'm not squeezing all that hard. Can't really complain for the price though, and even if I take it off, the Ti mounting bolts will probably come in handy for something, once I shorten them with my dremel.

Similar Products Used:   topo aluminum

Bike Setup:   GT LTS

Submitted by Don Pagano a Racer from Carlisle, PA

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2000

Strengths:
Inexpensive (12 bucks at Supergo!), nice finish, nice hardware, prettly light, lots of mud clearance, works!

Weaknesses:
None that I can find.

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is that this thing was a very inexpensive fix for poor brake performance on my full suspension bike. A huge improvement in braking power. The seat stays absolutely doe not move, even when squeezing the lever so hard I'm sure the cable will snap. As for the reviewer who rated it poorly because his frame still flexed, I don't think that is the intended function of the product. Ti should last long time, quality finish and Ti hardware, only 12 bucks from Supergo. Good mud clearance too. I'm getting another for my steel hardtail.

less than 1 month

Crappy no-name years ago

Full suspension, Bomber, other good stuff, etc.

Submitted by Bud Campbell a Weekend Warrior from Greenville, SC

Date Reviewed: December 6, 1999

Strengths:
Looks great!

Weaknesses:
Too flexable

Bottom Line:
Basically, I mounted the booster to the rear brakes in hopes of correcting the frame flex problem there. I have noticed no improvement at all…frame still flexing. The supplied mounting bolts are too long and I recommend they included a bushing to replace the gap left by the Shimano stock bolt which recess into the brake arm at the pivot. Also, I suspect the longer bolt, cantilevers the part too much which wont help controlling flex. I'll try the Shimano carbon next…If that doesn't work I'll have to go to discs…I have to justify them someway!

tested or demo'ed only

n/a

98 Schwinn HG/FS w/ XT brakes

Submitted by Tom a Cross-Country Rider from Syracuse

Date Reviewed: November 26, 1999

Strengths:
Super light, looks fly. Has enough clearence for brakes to open and close for unobstructed wheel removal. Ti-bolts included

Weaknesses:
Little flashy, big. Long brake bolts included - too long for me since I like to mount them with a low profile.

Bottom Line:
Great booster. Lightweight, super trick, and even comes with Ti mounting bolts. I seriously reccommend it to any of us out there who ride older frames/forks that might not be stiff enough for v-brakes, really makes up for the difference. Very noticable brakeing difference.

1 Year

many. Tektro/Topo/etc...

Slingshot/Manitou 4

Titanium brake booster?

Looking into brake boosters for my ride. Noticed there are titanium boosters out there. Is it just me, or does this seem counter-intuitive? A naturally flexible material to [i]stiffen[/i] brake posts ..... just doesn't seem right. :skep: Anyone have any experience with these? Is there [i]any[/i] ... Read More »