Magura Brake Booster Brake Booster

Magura Brake Booster

Submitted by jamie owen a Weekend Warrior from leis. uk

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2005

Strengths:    Makes stopping much greater for hs33's, colour

Weaknesses:    seting it up in right position! annoying

Bottom Line:
very good! prvent bending or damaging ot bike. couler makes something stand out on your bike (depnding what colour you hopefully WILL bue)!
with out it i dont like using my brakes!

lovin' it:P

Favorite Trail:   dirt jumping and bmx parks

Purchased At:   pedel power

Bike Setup:   Giant acid hard tail + stck 2006 kona scrap

Submitted by BOO a Weekend Warrior from Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2003

Strengths:    stiff, loox mighty cool (for those who know what HS33 r), has color, serves its purpose

Weaknesses:    maybe a little bit heavy, but it's hardly noticeable

Bottom Line:
Until i can afford to get a Whiteshurt Carbon booster, the steel booster from magura will do just fine. it's not THAT heavy, and it keep the HS33s worky perfectly -- nice and stiff for all your trials needs. Also works well if you don't want cable-Hayes (which r kinda gay), just be sure not to use tar if you're using these for DH or FR.

RIDE TRIALS! NOT TRAILS! peace

Favorite Trail:   trials!

Purchased At:   came with HS33 on ebay

Similar Products Used:   Tektro brake booster,

Bike Setup:   PX (planet X for all you un-trials-y ppl) - mk4: PX knifen rigid fork, HS33 rear, Avid mech disc front, easton scandium, ODI bolt-on grips, Bonz cranks, Shimano ultegra rear cogs n derailleur, Kujo DH rear, a really useless mini trials saddle (echo i think), Sun Mammoth DH rear wheel, alex DX32 front (brass nips, stainless spokes)... anythin else? chris king NoThreadSet (mmm yummy!), Amoeba stubby stem... that's it i think

Submitted by Hardcore a Downhiller from Germany

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2002

Strengths:    They increase they weight of your bike!

Weaknesses:    flexing like hell
expensive
cheap steel
they bend
looks silly

Bottom Line:
They came with the brakes and went on a trip to the dump.
I had to replace them after 1 week!
Buy Tektro -> cheap and good

Favorite Trail:   Die Rinne

Similar Products Used:   Tektro (wonderfull, buy 'em!!!)

Bike Setup:   GT ZASKAR with any expensive hardcore part!

Submitted by Alex Thompson from France

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2001

Strengths:    great. theyre nice and solid, and they look good

Weaknesses:    cant get the damn thing on my back wheel. the stupid booster too small. that really sux, caus i cant find any other over here in france. my bikes a monty x-hydra, and the rear whell is about 3 inches wide.

Bottom Line:
ok. but they should have them in at least two sizes

Favorite Trail:   dont do trails, only trials

Purchased At:   french bike shop

Similar Products Used:   megamo brake boosters

Submitted by Alex Green a Weekend Warrior from London, England

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2001

Strengths:    Cheap, looks good, prevents flex, boosts brake performance

Weaknesses:    Uuuurm, the paint where it bolts on has worn a little thin.

Bottom Line:
Great product, improved my braking no end. Should also increase the life of the frame which is no bad thing. As I say, the only fault is taht the paint around the bolt is wearing a little thing, so as long as you keep this patched, this is a perfect product. Nice range of colours too, also available in alloy for a little extra.

Purchased At:   Chain Reaction.com

Bike Setup:   GT Palomar, Magura HS12 setup, STX shifters, aluminium stem and bars, lizard grips, otherwise atandard.

Submitted by Michael a Weekend Warrior from Amsterdam/ Netherlands

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2000

Strengths:    Strong, easy to adjust on the bike, simple product which gives you a lot of braking power and control

Weaknesses:    Colours

Bottom Line:
There are much more brand which make these things but if you want a simple one just get one from magura, Besides you can choose for the regular or the horseshoe which i have in yellow (neon), fine product gives you more control over your brakes, you have them also in carbon (magura) woodman 50 us$, and so many more. But still i can recommand them to everyone who has magura's.!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Kaprun

Purchased At:   local store in Germany

Bike Setup:   Cannondale V-400 Moto120, syncross, xtr cranks and rear derailleur,fox vanilla with spring and adjusters.

Submitted by Mel a Cross Country Rider from Saskatoon, Canada

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2000

Strengths:    Does wonders for the improvement of the brake. Allows to use the full potential of the hydrolic system. Very easy to put on.

Weaknesses:    Price. Pretty pricey for two pieces of machined metal!

Bottom Line:
They work awesome! I had no brake boosters on before and I was noticing alot of flex in my rear triangle. There is little to no flex anymore. 3 flames for value, mine were really expensive, and 5 chilis for the improvement in my brakes.

Favorite Trail:   wherever

Purchased At:   Dougs spoke n sport

Bike Setup:   Titus racer x, spin wheels, xtr rear, xt front, hs33 tomac edition brakes, xt shifters, xt crank, TNT crankarms.

Submitted by charlie a Cross Country Rider from kinnelon, nj, usa

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2000

Strengths:    better than nothing, match the color of the brakes

Weaknesses:    not as good as the cheaper, lighter tektro's i have

Bottom Line:
(note:this is for the steel, swiss cheese ones, not the carbon ones)

the magura boosters are a great step over not having anything at all, but they are very limited in their capabilities. mine came free with my brakes, but if you are looking to buy boosters, the tektros are much much better at doing what they are supposed to do(although chances are they dont match your brakes). it's possible the magura carbon ones are fantastic, but pass over these unless you can score a set for ten bucks or less. on the bright side, they are just as good as the tektro's when it comes to taking the brakes off for removing the wheel and they do help to keep the brake location consistent. i got them free, so i am not sure how much they cost, but my value rating is based on 30 bucks wich is what i figure they want for a set.

Favorite Trail:   watchung(i'm still living in the past. . .)

Similar Products Used:   tektro aluminum

Bike Setup:   trials/xc

Submitted by Aaron Flieds a Weekend Warrior from Canton Ohio

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2000

Strengths:    It is made from cheap steel, weighs to much and stops very little of the fles plus you get a cheap bolt with it that rust, if it deon't brake first

Weaknesses:    They cost to much for the cheap product, just beacuse they make pretty good slave cylinders (crap for lever sets) doesn't mean they do other things good

Bottom Line:
A very cheap product that does not stop the frame or fork flex, hard to install bogus bolt with it, cost to much and poor color choice

Similar Products Used:   Moonlight (Ti flexs) A couple of other bad designs, does any body make a good light aluminum booster for quick release

Bike Setup:   GT FS with XTR

Submitted by TRON a Cross-Country Rider from Potter, NE

Date Reviewed: December 10, 1999

Strengths:
Stiff, Stiff, Stiff and it looks cool

Weaknesses:
none really....

Bottom Line:
Ti is cool especially for this price. Great boosters for the price. Get some!!!

less than 1 month

Submitted by Vader a Cross-Country Rider from McMinnville,OR

Date Reviewed: November 15, 1999

Strengths:
Adds sh!tloads of power.
Ends component and frame fatigue.

Weaknesses:
hmmm.

Bottom Line:
I thought I had been enlightend when I installed the Maggies.It hit a whole new high after installing the boosters. The brakes are so powerfull that the chainstays were spreading 5mm's on both sides and even the stout Z1's were giving in.

I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you

3 months

Curve V brake boosters

Rocky Mountain Element/Marzocchi Z1

Submitted by Forrest Landry a Weekend Warrior from Wothington, Ma. USA

Date Reviewed: November 7, 1999

Strengths:
Made especially for magura brakes workes well the best for maggie brakes

Weaknesses:
looks not as fancy as some

Bottom Line:
If you have maguras get em i would want to ride with out a brake booster

Mt. Snow's downhills

2 Years

v-brake booster did not work as well when used witha v-brake as the magura booster did with the hydros

Diamondback V-Link 1.0 Girvin Chubby up front Fast trax in the rear

Submitted by Mike T. a Cross-Country Rider from Woodstock Ont Canada

Date Reviewed: April 24, 1999

Strengths:
Great looks! Nice and stiff.

Weaknesses:
I dunno - maybe price if you're poor.

Bottom Line:
Magura carbon boosters! These things are sooooooo trick. They look great and wouldn't be worth anything if they didn't work well too.
Maybe they're a little harder to install than the Ionics and steel Maguras (I have them all) as there is only one adjustment hole. No big deal.

3 months

Ionic aluminums. Magura steels.

Seven Sola Ti.

Submitted by Erik a weekend warrior from Seattle

Date Reviewed: February 27, 1999

Bottom Line:

My Magura brake-booster does not fit on my rear Quicksilvers because of the degree to which I must rotate the slave cylinder in the adapter to line up the pads with my rim. The problem is that the main oil-feed line prevents me from putting the brake booster over the head of the post-screw. Luckily, I didn't have the same problem on the front Quicksilver. As an alternative, I put a Tectro booster on the rear--but I had to modify the booster slightly. No fault attributed to Magura, since there are so many frame designs out there. By the by, my bike is a Schwinn Homegrown Full-Suspension. All in all, the Magura booster is light and stiff. Probably fits perfectly on most bikes.

Submitted by Sherman a weekend warrior from British Columbia, Canada

Date Reviewed: February 24, 1999

Bottom Line:

I got the steel magura booster. It came on a used bike that I bought. It is an good booster, my only complaint about it is fitting it on so that it will not rub the tire. I had to do a little bit of modification to get it to fit properly, like cutting half the hole off on the 2 hole side. I like the power that they give. I don't know if it is just me but it kinda seems like they are stiffer than aluminum boosters like Ionic. But I don't know. I like them though.

Please recommend a decent V-Brake Booster

My XTR V-brakes are visibly flexing the seat-stays my 01' Cannondale F600. I think i need a booster, but i cant find any brake boosters for sale in my price range that dont look like junk. 1) know any good stiff boosters for sale priced under $45? 2) will a trials-bike boosters work/fit on a ... Read More »

DKG Strong Arm brake booster concentric adjuster

Anyone got an extra one hanging around the parts bin? I have a nice red ano booster that I must say is destined for greatness ....but for one small flaw: I've only got one of the rotatable pre-load washer/adjuster bits. I'll call up DKG this week, but thought it would be worth asking here to ... Read More »

ID this brake booster? Astronaut Blue Ano

[IMG]http://www.flickr.com/photos/61176747@N06/6155591557/[/IMG] Can anyone ID these brake boosters? They have no name or numbers and the only etching is the moon man astronaut. They are CNC'd and Alu. [IMG]http://flic.kr/p/anX1UV[/IMG]Read More »

Brake booster

Anyone ever try one of these: [url]http://www.sidetrak.com/eng_title.html[/url] Supposedly you can use cantilever levers with V-Brakes. They look much simpler than a Travel Agent. [IMG]http://i553.photobucket.com/albums/jj396/cs1sales/bpb.jpg[/IMG]Read More »

How do I assemble this brake booster?

A friend gave me this used brake booster for my girlfriend's bike. I wasn't able to install it. I am not sure if my friend gave me all the parts, or if I am missing something. The problem I find is that the part I labeled as "C" has a "lip" on only one side. If I install it with it pressing towa ... Read More »