DKG Brake Booster Brake Booster

4.94/5 (16 Reviews)

DKG Brake Booster

Submitted by Carlos a Weekend Warrior from Central FLorida

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2003

Strengths:    Stiff, nice looks, cheap

Weaknesses:    None. Would be nice if hardware was Ti.

Bottom Line:
Stiff. This one really allowed me to lock the wheel on descents. I had problems braking on no so steep descents and the wheel was not locking. I was thinking about disc brakes, but then bought the DKG brake booster and the brakes are hard as hell. Careful the first time as you will need to readjust your brakes and learn how to use them again. I am pretty sure there are other boosters out there that can do the same, but I am sticking to this one. CHEAP TOO!

Favorite Trail:   Santos at Ocala, FL

Similar Products Used:   Nashbar brake booster crap

Bike Setup:   2002 Trek Fuel 100 with rear carbon

Submitted by Greg a Weekend Warrior from Smyrna

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2003

Strengths:    Excellent design, performance

Bottom Line:
Couldn't lock the rears up even with Kool Stop pads. With
the DKG, no problem! The cam adjusters are great and make
installation easy. This is a well designed product that
performs.

Bike Setup:   RANS V2 LWB Recumbent

Submitted by Jerome a Weekend Warrior from Delray Beach

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2003

Strengths:    Great piece of engineering. Totally adjustable.

Weaknesses:    none. God forbid you have to go to the store for some washers.

Bottom Line:
Buy this booster! Trust the reviews! I've been riding with these for over 5 years. DKG is responsible for preserving my flex prone cromoly frame. So, if you want to keep your frame forever buy a pair. A bit tricky to install if you are not mechanically inclined. When I bought it it was pretty expensive but totally worth it in retrospect. If you can find a pair buy them!

Bike Setup:   old school Jamis diablo. Great frame! Great company! I'm able to run 2.3s front and back no problem. XT v-brakes no problem.

Submitted by TienShan a Weekend Warrior from Woodside

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2002

Strengths:    rigid and strong

Weaknesses:    Hardware is too heavy.

Bottom Line:
This is a follow up to my previous post. This brake booster still works great. Since the original hardware is heavy, I have replaced the hardware with lighter ones.
It's a lot lighter than the original. I purchased the replacement bolts, washer and etc from www.racebolts.com. I also replaced whole bunch other bolts on the bike.

Favorite Trail:   El Corte De Madera

Bike Setup:   Dean TI

Submitted by Matthew Stein a Cross Country Rider from Southington, CT USA

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2002

Strengths:    CNC machined aluminium, cantilever specific, anodized finish, locking brake stud cams

Weaknesses:    lots of mounting hardware (all of if needed though)

Bottom Line:
I was experiencing bad rear brake fade. The brake stays would actually push out between 1/8" to 1/4". I installed the brake booster and wham, significantly increased braking power. This is a hard to find item, I think Cambria may be the last place selling it. I highly recommend this product for a canilever brake setup. Even though it is a little heavy, compared to others, it really does the job.

Purchased At:   Cambria Bicyle Outfitter

Bike Setup:   old school iron horse ars 800r with xt cantilever brakes, lots of xt and xtr goodies, rigid fork, use xcr seatpost, etc.

Submitted by Tienshan a Weekend Warrior from San Jose, CA

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2001

Strengths:    Stiff, it reduces the flex of my Dean Ti bike.

Weaknesses:    A little heavy and pricy. It weighs around 112 grams instead of 92 grams as manufacture has claimed. The bolt kit is very heavy. It's around 40 grams. There should be lighter version or replacement for the bolt kit.

Bottom Line:
When rear brake was applied before this brake booster was installed, I can see the seat stay flex quite a bit.

After brake booster is installed, the flex disappears.
A friend of mine help me install it and we kind of pre-enforce. That is we apply the brake and pull the booster outward to fit it onto the bolt.

Afterwards, the brake is very crisp and solid. It no longer gives the mushy feel and there is no more flex on seat stay.

Favorite Trail:   El Corte De Madera

Purchased At:   CambriaBike.com

Bike Setup:   Dean Ti frame, Ti bar, and Ti post with XT groupo and Manitou Mars Elite.

Submitted by Danny a Weekend Warrior from Detroit

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2001

Strengths:    Does what it says it does...stiffens very nicely. Easy installation...just thread in the straight threaded rods and twist on the cap lugs. The eccentric installation wheels are ingenius. They won't slip like a slot might. Once installed you know you will keep getting the added benefit of the booster. Nice anodized finish.

Weaknesses:    hmmmmm.

Bottom Line:
Tremendous value for an upgrade. Best $20 bucks spent on my bike.

Before I put these on my rear brakes it took about two thirds of the lever travel to lock up the rear...the brakes felt a bit mushy. With the booster on, one third lever travel is all that I need to lock 'em up. The brakes feel much better.

If you find your brakes a little mushy, get this product.

Bike Setup:   GT I-drive

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from Avon Lake, OH, USA

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2001

Strengths:    design,CNC'd!!, color, Performance

Weaknesses:    None-no picture on this sight-UNBELIEVABLE that a manufacturer has this opportunity to sell product and does not submit a photo to be posted by MTBreview.com!!!!!!!!!

Bottom Line:
If I had to pick one booster out of the two it would be the DKG - stronger, lighter, better made, mounting holes are the best out of any booster currently made - I've checked - they won't quit working even if the screws come loose!! However, I do like the salsa up front - gives me better clearance running bigger fatter tires. Give this booster 5 flaming hot peppers

Favorite Trail:   mine

Purchased At:   internet somewhere

Similar Products Used:   SALSA

Bike Setup:   00 M2 Stumpjumper, AVID ARCH RIVAL SUPREME'S w/SALSA booster up front and the DKG in the rear.

Submitted by pat rossbach a Racer from bel air Maryland, usa

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2000

Strengths:    Stiff as hell, looks cool, awesome adjustability,just plain simple

Bottom Line:
stopped the flex (was like 1/4") stop on a dime lock up with ease for trials and stuff, it is the best looking and working. period.

Purchased At:   cambria bike source

Similar Products Used:   none, this is the best

Bike Setup:   16" DB topanga comp, chainguide,judy 100, avid arch 40 front, tektro cheapie with dkg rear

Submitted by Nate Estep a Cross Country Rider from Hayward, California

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2000

Strengths:    Light
Stiff
Nicely Machined
Ingenious Variable-Width Design

Weaknesses:    No Spacers / Standoffs Provided
Mounting "Bolt" Lacking

Bottom Line:
I recently found this booster, new and unused, in a box of parts at home. It was the second one I purchased (4 or 5 years I've had it); the first went to a friend, mounted on an old bike. I remember having trouble mounting it to a set of XT V's, and probably threw it in the box out of frustration and forgot about it.

It works very well, stiffening up an already stiff rear aluminum triangle on my Fisher Joshua. The rotating moununting holes are maxed at their narrowest setting on my frame, and the fit is tight. The rotating mounting holes are a marvel - I think I'd be disappointed by any "sliding" setup, as on the Shimano or Salsa.

The height of the booster blocks a cable stop on the URT that would prevent me from stringing up my front derailleur. This is a design limitation of the frame; any booster with adequate tire clearance would likely block this cable stop.

In my case, I am running Cane Creek Direct Curve 2 "V" brakes, which already blocked this cable stop. My workaround was to install a bolt-on cable stop and route the cable differently, bypassing the frame's cable stop.

The weakness is the mounting hardware. The "bolt" provided is a length of threaded rod. The threaded rod is turned by screwing a cap nut on one end. This is functional, but ugly. It detracts from the asthetics of the beautiful booster. I had to pay a visit to a fastener shop to get a proper set of hex bolts.

To top that off, no spacers are provided. In my case (with both the Cane Creek brakes I run now, and the Dia-Com cantis's I ran on the previous bike), I need about 5mm of standoff between the brake arms and the booster. My solution is to use a pair of spacers/adjusters from a set of post-style brake pads. These are functional, but fit the bolt loosely and are concave on one side, again making them less than ideal.

I wouldn't hesitate it recommend this booster, if it can still be found. The problem with the fasteners may not bother some folks, and is easily and inexpensively corrected. Since it doesn't affect the function of the booster, I won't deduct any points. I will deduct one point for the lack of spacers, however. I have experience with this booster on 3 different brands of brakes, and all 3 required some amount of standoff. Again, easily correctable, but prevents proper operaton.

--Nate Estep

Bike Setup:   Originally used on rigid Yokota Yosemite (front)
Now on Gary Fisher Joshua (rear)

Submitted by Rockohaulic from Palmdale, CA

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2000

Strengths:    STIFF

Weaknesses:    Zero

Bottom Line:
The DKG booster is one fine, stiff work of art. It is superior to the Gorilla Al and Moonlighter Ti. The other two are basically punched/cut sheet metal, while the DKG is milled out of a much thicker base material then CNC'd. A lot more work went into the DKG - and it shows.

All three are stiff in the direction of flex from your brakes, but the DKG is superior in controlling flex because of the cam set-up. The other two mount with oval mounting holes - if the bolts slip, then they can't control flex. The DKG mounting system is superior.

The DKG is MUCH MUCH stiffer torsionally - i.e. fore and aft. It will keep your fork sliders from moving with respect to each other (fore and aft), leading to better steering response.

The DKG booster is the best, period. It made a huge improvement in braking power. Highly recommended.

Favorite Trail:   Mt Pinos, Big Bear

Similar Products Used:   Moonlighter Ti and Gorilla

Submitted by Drew a Weekend Warrior from Nyc

Date Reviewed: December 6, 1999

Strengths:
Stiffer than any other brake booster out there

Weaknesses:
None.

Bottom Line:
My front brake didn't need a brake bosster ... minimal flex with the strong avid brakes ... but my Steel swingarm ... flexed! ... STEEL flexing?
Yeah with my arch rivals 50's ... nothing coulnd hold it down ... the salsa's i tried were good ... and the shimano carbon booster cracked ... i brake hard! ... so i went for dkg ... Oh my oh my ... the don't stock for some reason and made mine when i ordered it ... woo freaking hoo ... it rules... there is no flex what so ever ...when i brake... my rear feels like a rock. also another advantage is... they come with one hole... not that slide adjustment like salsa ... one hole with little adjustment thing ... cnc machined ... and ready to goto work.get one@!

3 months

Salsa brake booster, Shimano Carbon Booster

'99 Trek Y3, y2k Mnaitou Sx-r, y2k Avid Arch rival 50's with speedial 2.0 levers with viewport, ect

Submitted by Buddy a Weekend Warrior from Scherr

Date Reviewed: June 12, 1999

Strengths:
Design, Appearance

Weaknesses:
Price - $30.00

Bottom Line:
I was amazed at the improvent such a simple piece of equipment could make. I am 235 pounds of solid muscle..........OK, maybe 205 of that is muscle. Consequently, I need all of the braking power I can get when going down steep hills. The dkg brake booster improved my rear braking by an easy 60%. It is also one of the most elegant add-ons that one can add to a bike. Instead of the usual, ugly slots for the mounting screws, the dkg has an ingenious eccentric mounting device. And it just plain looks cool!

less than 1 month

Submitted by Jin a cross-country rider from Auburn, Al

Date Reviewed: December 1, 1996

Bottom Line:

I had this on my Al hartail as bike jewlery for a long time. (the rear was plenty ridged enough and didn't flex under braking). I got my dad to buy a bike (a $400 ridged cromo) and this little wonder improved his rear braking 50% (I could exaggerate and say 100% but real numbers is probably close to 50%). The rear brake went from two finger grrrr lock to one finger lockup even with Alivio canti's w/ shimano hanger. The rotating barrel insures that the booster continues to work even if the bolts holding them on fall off! The best designed brake booster of them all. Might be a little heavier then the rest but by far the best design and the strongest.

Submitted by Jeff Michel from Oakland, Ca.

Date Reviewed: June 24, 1996

Bottom Line:

Until I put one of these on my Y-22 the whole rear felt spongey. It was hard to get a
controlled slide on the rear. When you applied the brakes the rear stays flexed about
a 1/4-1/2 apart. This device worked Great! Even got it in colors. Cheap fix with
good results. This and the rollamajig my two best investments for the buck.

Please recommend a decent V-Brake Booster

My XTR V-brakes are visibly flexing the seat-stays my 01' Cannondale F600. I think i need a booster, but i cant find any brake boosters for sale in my price range that dont look like junk. 1) know any good stiff boosters for sale priced under $45? 2) will a trials-bike boosters work/fit on a ... Read More »

DKG Strong Arm brake booster concentric adjuster

Anyone got an extra one hanging around the parts bin? I have a nice red ano booster that I must say is destined for greatness ....but for one small flaw: I've only got one of the rotatable pre-load washer/adjuster bits. I'll call up DKG this week, but thought it would be worth asking here to ... Read More »

ID this brake booster? Astronaut Blue Ano

[IMG]http://www.flickr.com/photos/61176747@N06/6155591557/[/IMG] Can anyone ID these brake boosters? They have no name or numbers and the only etching is the moon man astronaut. They are CNC'd and Alu. [IMG]http://flic.kr/p/anX1UV[/IMG]Read More »

Brake booster

Anyone ever try one of these: [url]http://www.sidetrak.com/eng_title.html[/url] Supposedly you can use cantilever levers with V-Brakes. They look much simpler than a Travel Agent. [IMG]http://i553.photobucket.com/albums/jj396/cs1sales/bpb.jpg[/IMG]Read More »

How do I assemble this brake booster?

A friend gave me this used brake booster for my girlfriend's bike. I wasn't able to install it. I am not sure if my friend gave me all the parts, or if I am missing something. The problem I find is that the part I labeled as "C" has a "lip" on only one side. If I install it with it pressing towa ... Read More »