VooDoo Hoodoo Bike Bike 1998 or Older

4.68/5 (31 Reviews)

Voodoo Hoodoo

Submitted by britbikemike

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2012

Strengths:    Stiff and fantastic climber. This bike is a real value if you can find one. The old ones were Reynolds steel and sometimes people do not know what they have. I got mine with a hodge podge of parts on it (White Industries Hubs and XT/XTR) for $120.

Weaknesses:    No disc brake tabs for you whiners out there! lol Come on! V Brakes stopped you just fine for years, what's all the hub bub???!!!! Has a real tall head tub so some older forks may need new steer tube installed.

Bottom Line:
Let me first say this. I am an old MTB racer, (state champ) from the 90's. I have had A LOT of bikes over the years, and currently ride a Jamis Dragon Race 29er. I like this bike as much as that one! I stripped the frame, put in a GT Titanium bottom bracket, Cook Brothers cranks, Ringle front and rear hubs with Sun Rims, Ringle stem, Chris King head set, XTR derailures, and XT brakes, with Avid levers, and SRAM XRay shifters. I topped it off with a Marzzochi Super Fly fork. This bike is certainly a tribute to the old and crusty but man does it PERFORM!!! I may have to find another. It climbs effortlessly and handles perfectly. These guys KNEW what they were doing back then.

Submitted by j.pope a Racer from Chicago, IL

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2010

Strengths:    Great ride qualities from a classic steel hardtail. Durable, versatile bike with excellent stock geometry.

Weaknesses:    About a half pound heavier than an 853 steel bike would be, and my early model has no disc tabs.

Bottom Line:
This was my original serious MTB. I was riding it around town for a couple of years before I decided to convert it to single speed for a fun alternative to my usual mountain bike. My particular bike is the older purple bike, which was a contract built (Made in the USA) model made with tubing from Tange (perhaps the Prestige model tubes?). As it lacks a disc tab, it is built up with a nice tubeless rim brake wheelset and rides like a dream. While this model is no longer available, I would encourage anyone who is thinking of a steel singlespeed to dive in, it makes an entertaining alternative to more modern, dual suspension geared bikes.

Favorite Trail:   South Mountain Park - Phoenix, AZ

Purchased At:   Bicycle Revolution -

Similar Products Used:   Two Cannondale aluminum race hardtails and three Cannondale Scalpels.

Bike Setup:   Converted to a rigid singlespeed (via a chain tensioner), with a tubeless wheelset.

Submitted by jtmartino a Cross Country Rider from San Diego, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2009

Strengths:    Strong, durable Reynolds 525 and clean welds. Excellent geometry for climbing (short chainstays) and longer headtube make for stiffer front end and more responsive steering.

Weaknesses:    Weight - she's a little heavy...but then again, I've always liked my ladies with a little meat on their bones.

Bottom Line:
I absolutely love my 1998 VooDoo HooDoo in purple. I got it as a NOS frame from a guy on craigslist, and spent a lot of time building it up from a mix of old and new components. The frame has a shorter wheelbase than I'm used to, and climbs like a freakin' goat. I've had to play with the cockpit a little bit because the bike would get squirrely while climbing, but I got a longer stem and tweaked the bars a bit and now everything is beautiful.

I can outclimb my buddies on their full suspension rigs (Ellsworth Truth full XTR, Specialized Stumpjumper Pro full X-O) and the frame absorbs a ton of chatter on the descents. Sure, it's not the lightest hardtail racer out there, but at around 24 LBS built, it's not too shabby! It corners extremely well on both singletrack and sketchy fire roads, and it eats up everything So-Cal has to offer.

I think the only way it could be better is if it were a bit lighter...hmm maybe it's time for a Bizango?

Favorite Trail:   Hurkey Creek, Idyllwild, CA

Purchased At:   NOS Frame via Craigs

Similar Products Used:   1993 Specialized Stumpjumper (steel), 2004 Specialied Stumpjumper (Aluminum), 2003 Brodie Electro (Aluminum)

Bike Setup:   Full 8-Speed XTR drivetrain and V-brakes, RockShox SID World Cup 80mm Fork in silver, RaceFace Deus XC Crankset in silver, silver Thompson seatpost and stem, silver Race Face Deus XC Riser Bar, Mavic Crossmax Ceramic wheels, Hutchinson Python UST Tires (with Stan's)

Submitted by Josh a Racer from West Hempstead, NY

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2007

Strengths:    The first bike that felt truly alive to me. Bike is very smooth due to the flex of the steel but not soft enough to not feel fairly snappy. The geometry feels great at all times especially in tight but speedy. I just did a big upgrade and the hoodoo is still going strong. I have been riding it since 1994 and its still holding up pretty well!!!!!

Weaknesses:    Weight if you are a weight freak. I'm not. Not the best climber but not the worst.

Bottom Line:
All the voodoo's rule!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Round Valley NJ

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Similar Products Used:   Gary fisher

Bike Setup:   XT components, manitou 6 shock, vbrakes, gripshift.

Submitted by Arnold Archibald a Cross Country Rider from Alhambra, CA USA

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2002

Strengths:    Steel frames ROCKS, awesome headtube badge, n the color..YELLOW...

Weaknesses:    The bottom bracket makin some creakin noise..but put some grease n now its all good

Bottom Line:
This is my first bike...its a hardtail n i love it very much...ITS AN AWESOME..AWESOME bikes...steel is real..wat ever happen to Voodoo n their website??...

Purchased At:   Supergo Bike

Bike Setup:   SID XC fork, XT Components, LX crankset, Avid Archrival brakes, Titec seatpost, barend n stem, Easton Carbon Flat bar, Mavic 221 rims, Time pedal, n Michelin Wildgripper Comp S tires..the green one..yeah baby!!

Submitted by Andrew McFerron a Cross Country Rider from Salem, OR U.S.

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2000

Strengths:    Rides like a bat out of hell. On smooth, winding single track, the bike dices it up. Super smooth and confedent over any terrain. Also, excelent for urban assault

Weaknesses:    Stock components:STX-RC, Alivio, cheap bottom bracket and sunrace cassett

Bottom Line:
This is my first real mountain bike, and I couldn't be happier. Excellent frame, endlessly upgradeable. Perfect for weekend racer, or freerider. Not for the faint of heart, however.

Favorite Trail:   Mt. Bachelor to Shelvin Park

Purchased At:   Santiam Cycles

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi Z-4 fly light, avid brakes, bontrager race wheels and cranks, new XTR 8 speed cassett, UN-72 B.B., Mythos tires

Submitted by Joe OBrien a Weekend Warrior from Arlington, Virginia

Date Reviewed: June 24, 1999

Strengths:
Great bike to help you change from a weekend rider to an addict.

Weaknesses:
Bike can come with a Rockshox Jett C (43mm travel), but that is just an option, not a requirement.

Bottom Line:
I love the bike.Voodoo pays a lot of attn to details. The bike is a joy to ride because it makes things like climbing hills a bit easier (due to the geometry of the bike). The bike is also awesome to look at. It has an irridicent paint job-- yellow with another reflective subcolor that shows when light hits it a certain way. I was on the trail and some dude with a full suspension trek (probably in the $1000 range) couldnt stop checking out my bike. My only beef is the front fork (Rockshox Jett C 43 mm travel), but you can select any shock to come with the bike (get a Judy XC!!). The bike was a present. If one of my friends reads this review-- I love you guys, thanks for such an awesome bike!

Wakefield

3 months

GT Talera, GT Zaskar, Litespeed, and a K2 full suspension (all bikes of my boyz)

Voodoo Hoodoo STX-RC with a Rockshox Jett C (http://www.voodoo-cycles.com/mountainbikes/components/index.html#hoodoostxrc)

Submitted by bernie Fanlli a Downhiller from Missoula Montana

Date Reviewed: April 15, 1999

Strengths:
Tight turns and good climbing, preforms like a BMX bike on the mountain, I dig it. a lot

Weaknesses:
chain break, thats it

Bottom Line:
stx-rc

Death Drop canyon

more than 3 years

Voodoo Bokor

Bommer Z-2 Full XTR. race face crank
voodoo bokor. Chris king head set

Submitted by nick a racer from Mill Valley

Date Reviewed: February 10, 1999

Bottom Line:

For racing, this product is good. It responds to my command and reacats to my desire. But now, retired from racing, I put a long travel fork on it, some riser bars, and fat tires. It makes a sweet freeride bike. The one problem is that you need some WD40 to get ride of the rust that develops on the seat tube from water dripping down. Overall, by the bike now!

Submitted by Mike Coyle a weekend warrior from Mass.

Date Reviewed: October 21, 1998

Bottom Line:

I bought this bike a couple months ago and I love it. This is the best handling bike that I have ever ridden. I wanted a cro-moly frame but had trouble finding one that I liked in my area. Every place I went had nothing but aluminum. I am glad that I held out for the cro-moly because this bike is awesome.

Submitted by Null a weekend warrior from Skokie,Ill.(chicago)

Date Reviewed: June 17, 1998

Bottom Line:

1)hi, b4 you read this, know that i'm 17 and have smoked since age 12(cough wheeze) this bike made me quit.
2) for smoking for 5 years i could still tear shit up at local trails. and races
3) i tore shit up with a $250 trek 820 with one upgrade done to the whole bike in the 4 years i owned it. . .i put sys.3 pedals on it. . .they were platform pedals. *)now my story:ok. . .after riding a beat to shit trek 820 since i turned 13(only 4 years ago) , i decided to grab a hold of a new bike b4 i left for bolivia (to visit my family. . .nice mountains dope ass trails) i have to say this bike kicks all @$$. . .judy xc and all shimano lx components for around $1100, yes 1.1k! thanzx to Big Shoulders of Chicago, and my new best friend Franco!!!. . . .
anyway, i'm planning to tear all shyte up with my new baby. . .i bought this bike instead of buying a marshall halfstack. . .oh and btw, this bike costs more than my car(car's cost=800).. . .i feel so proud. *grin**flex*
i think i should be in an issue of mountain biker magazine with a pict of my my car and my bike. with a caption like. He's 17, he's a dork, his car is a Flaming Yellow Geo Tracker! His bike could ride itself over to your house and kick your mom's @$$. Then it'd go to your grandma's grave repeatedly skid over it to dig up the coffen, and do things that would scare Jeffory Dahmer!
so what am i saying?
is the words of Puck ex-real world kid, This thing kicks major f@#in @$$!!!

Submitted by Andrew Dinsdale a cross-country rider from Michigan

Date Reviewed: June 17, 1998

Bottom Line:

I decided to get the Voodoo after a ride on a bike store employees Wanga - I went looking at Fisher or GT and ended up ordering a Voodoo. My price range somewhat limited by the 'Department of Budget & Accounting,' a.k.a. 'her in-doors') was pegged a little over $1k. In my search for the ideal bike there are so many choices, even in my price range. I rode some Trek's, Cannondale's, Klein's, Rocky Mountain's, Gary Fisher's, GT's... do I need to go on? I went looking with a very open mind, I have owned both steel and aluminum bikes (a '90 Research Dynamics Coyote (stolen) and a 92 GT Zaskar (also stolen!), both rigid). I was really into the geometry of the Fisher's, fitted my 6 ft, 180 lb. frame perfectly and liked the Rocky Mountain component set. I guess I cut my list down to 4-5 bikes with the intent of going with an Aluminum hardtail. I never really regretted the GT, it was purchased when I lived in the UK where front suspension was even more expensive than in the US, but it was very damn rigid and to the point of being unforgiving when hitting the smallest of bumps. The Coyote let you make a few mistakes and pick your line a little less carefully without suffering the consequences. I figured front suspension would cure this (lack of technique) problem. Also, the GT had a very short top tube which never gave me grief but I always felt like I was tipping forward (on uphills more than downhills) which slowed me down. So I guess I knew what I was looking for in my ideal ride - so much had to do with geometry and comfort. Like I said I thought I had found it in Fisher but then the bike guy showed me his Voodoo. Nice looks, nice components and I remembered reading a great review of the Voodoo Hoodoo bike many years ago and always wanted to own something a little more exclusive... but what would it ride like? It is always hard to sum up the parking lot ride, the bike fit me fine and the hops up and down the curb stones proved it had more than a little flex. The Tange Prestige frame was constructed beautifully and it just felt right. My decision was made when finding out that 3 out of 4 employees owned Voodoo's and one had a tattoo demonstrating his loyalty to the Joe Murray design.. I was about to order a 98 Hoodoo but checked on 97's and managed to pick up one of the last 2 '97 Wanga's at a killer price with 98 Judy XC and their Shimano LX setup (some XT, Titec bar, stem, seatpost). After a very long wait for my bike (see my concerns on Voodoo's order handling below) it shows up. I was a little disappointed with the wheels, 98's feature Mavic hubs, rims and ..... - the 97 I received had Shimano LX hubs, with average Ritchey wheels and tires (Rock 415/ClimbMax 2.1 and Rock 395/MadMax2.1) . We'll see how long they last. One of the great features of buying Voodoo is being able to mix and match components - the LX setup was 'good enough' for me and the Judy XC suited my purposes and gave me less weight and cost than the Marzocchi Z2 even if a little less plush. Further, the bike store warned me that getting parts from Marzocchi was slow and even though Rock Shox fail more you can pretty much get a part overnighted.So how does it ride? Well, that is so hard to say because the ride is so good, and I am so used to it already that I have pretty much forgot about the bike and can concentrate on having fun. It is everything it is cracked up to be - a very comfortable ride (thanks to being able to size the frame, cranks and stem) and a wonderful geometry that lends itself to XC. It climbs like a dream and through the technical single-track it is extremely responsive. I am not a small rider, I ain't a fat bastard or anything but I have never been able to be this nimble - this is all down to the responsiveness of the ride, the slight flex and the lightness - a combination I have only ever experienced with this bike. Yeah, you can get lighter frames but steel has such a better, more natural feel. The Coyote had this but was not as light, nor as well designed or balanced.It lends itself to very technical rides. I'd say it is almost too forgiving, you brim with confidence at times when you should err on the side caution and this led to one spill - Yes, this was a case of rider error with me not being used to the bike and with somewhat virgin forks. I'd say that the GT was slightly better for downhill, but how much downhilling will I do in south-east Michigan and perhaps with a few more rides I will be willing to 'trust' the bike. It truly is as if this bike is possessed by a trail God, sorry for sounding too poetic but I can not stop thinking how it handled some of last Sunday's ride.Upgrades? Well, I have added Control Stix Lite's and will replace the pedals with Speedplay Frogs, will get round to replacing the wheels after I have beaten on these (won't take long) with Mavic's and may move to Race Face cranks. I too have a concern with the paint job. Already, after only a couple serious rides I have a handful of chips and scrapes - I'm sure in a few months it will look like I was in Marseilles being beaten up by French police for being English. I hope that Voodoo has fixed this in the 98's. So on to the chili's; 5 for geometry, ride, frame material and build (if frame building was art this would be hung in the Louvre - the drop outs are exquisite, the welds and oh the shape), take 1 chili off for the paint job but add one back on for improving my riding style overnight and the smile factor. Awesome bike!!N.B. The name makes me smile, kinda too similar to the word Wanker for my liking, I wonder if this is marketed in the U.K. with this name??

Submitted by Andrew Dinsdale a cross-country rider from Michigan

Date Reviewed: May 30, 1998

Bottom Line:

Not quite a product review... and therein lies the problem. I ordered a Voodoo Wanga through a local bike store and 3 1/2 weeks later I still don't have the damn bike. Voodoo is now blaming Federal Express and claiming it shipped 4 days ago but something smells very fishy. Even if it did ship 4 days ago that is still almost 3 weeks to put together a bike and according to my LBS Voodoo would not return calls or faxes asking for status. I would love to get the tracking number for the FedEx package, hit the Fedex web site and see if my product has really shipped or if they are giving us the run around... I know this 1 star rating is going to degrade the overall score of a bike that I am really looking forward to ride - I will come back and actually review the bike... but when you are spending a lot of money on a bike you need to know who you are doing business with. Voodoo is very keen to take your money but right now I am very disappointed by their customer service. The bike season is well underway and I am bikeless.If you buy Voodoo my advice is to not wait 2 weeks before getting pissed but ask for status everyday. I have been told by my LBS that they have been pushing Voodoo for answers since mid week and have finally found someone in their offices with a brain.

Submitted by Kingjap a weekend warrior from Yokohama, Japan

Date Reviewed: May 27, 1998

Bottom Line:

I actually have a Voodoo Wanga but besides the frame material it should be about the same bike as the Hoodoo.
It is a great bike that climbs better than most other lighter bikes (it does routinely beat the GT TI model). The front wheel likes to jump a little but that is probably more related to my lack of technique. On the downhill it will do as you tell it. Meaning it will only throw you off if you make a mistake. Most often it will come out of any turn or trouble as long as you donft panic! I have a small tendency to do that :)
One of the great features is that you can put the bike together exactly as you want. That at least in theory. While you may chose between the main Shimano components there is not much choice when it come to parts like handlebar or seatpost. The first is too narrow for me and the last broke after less than 8 months. The same did the seat post collar. But an e-mail to Voodoo got me TWO new within a week. Speak of customer service :)
I have taken the bike though many different situations, from river rides to actual mountain climbing and I have never been let down. If a truck ran over my bike tomorrow the new one would also be a Voodoo.
BUT they have to do something about their painting first. The smallest stone makes a mark. After only one year mine looks like something the cat dragged in. It might be environmental friendly paint, but how friendly is it if it all falls of on the forest trail?
Absolutely a five star bike had it not been for the paint and non-Shimano parts!

Submitted by Chip from San Jose CA

Date Reviewed: May 20, 1998

Bottom Line:

Awesome bike. I had a Gary Fisher Montare frame crack on me, so I decided to upgrade. Got a 1997 closeout HooDoo with LX & 1998 Judy XC for 25% off the whold bike. It was almost like getting the frame for free. The bike moves like an extension of yourself. Great on all terrains.