VooDoo Cycles D-Jab Bike 1998 or Older

4.29/5 (14 Reviews)

Voodoo Cycles D-Jab

Submitted by emiesch a Cross Country Rider from ogden ut

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2009

Strengths:    Silky smooth, agile, and feels light under me at a great value.

Weaknesses:    should come with a drive side single speed specific drop as an added value.

Bottom Line:
i love this frame built SS, rigid, with the 29er front wheel, my friends do not. This is one fast bike and thanks to the sliding drops supper tight. Voodoo should build this option for everyone.

Similar Products Used:   Last bike was a Bontrager Ti Lite. The Voodoo may not have the prestige, but feals more responsive while riding

Bike Setup:   Built up as a 69er. White Brothers carbon 29er fork, Stans rims on WTB lite hubs when SS and Crossmax ST on 1X9, FSA K-force lite cranks with 32 ring, XT brakes, and best of all Titec Jones bars.

Submitted by johno55 a Cross Country Rider from Canberra

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2008

Strengths:    It's titanium, sliding dropouts designed for single speed.

Weaknesses:    nothing

Bottom Line:
I'm preferring the shorter chainstay setup because it gives this bike an increadible light and agile feel climbing switchbacks and on fire roads. On the downs it's capable but you need to pay attention. Of course the steep seat and head angle have alot to do with its power transfer. The frame is super stiff, in fact I'm still in shock because my experience with previous Ti frame left an impression of a licorice feel to the ride. Not so this beast. I'd like to try a longer travel fork cause the D-hab is now designed for a 100 - 130 travel setup (ie TALAS). This would help on the rough downhill sections.

Favorite Trail:   Stromlo

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   RM Blizzard, Kona Kula Deluxe, Cannondale F1000, Mongoose Ti

Bike Setup:   2009 100F RLC, XTR running gear 3x9, carbon 7's, Next LS low rise carbon bar, MOOTS Cinch laid back post, Hugi 240's 717 for commuting, Crossmax SL for off road.

Submitted by doug ryan a Racer from stockton,ca usa

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2007

Strengths:    dont believe that old crap from days gone by. the 2007 d-jab kicks ass YO'$ those other people probably just got a very small bad batch, couse mine kicks major anus mama

Weaknesses:    only weaknesses is that i havent bought one every year since 1999

Bottom Line:
buy one, buy two, ride lots great welds, greater price for ti. VOODOO is very very very underated and MTBR should kneel and kiss VOODOO's ring.

Favorite Trail:   santa cruz,ca

Purchased At:   bikeparts.com

Similar Products Used:   lightspeed,dean, both over rated and mucho skrill($)

Bike Setup:   full xtr what else YO!

Submitted by Alan Clark a cross-country rider from Austin Tx.

Date Reviewed: October 4, 1998

Bottom Line:

I've been riding a D Jab for about a year now. I love the thing. I bought the bike as a frameset from the shop that i curretly work for. When the frame arrived the head tube was not faced correctly and subsequently the headset rubbed profusely. Due to hassles that ensued with the waranty dept. of Voodoo our shop is no longer selling Voodoos. This is a shame because the bike absolutely rocks. It climbs like an incredible uh climbing thing. I recently attended the dirt demo day at Interbike Vegas. I was able to ride almost any kind of bike in the world, including some other ti hard tails. I honestly would not trade the voodoo for any of the bikes out there. It's that good. Unfortunately this is an example of a product being far superior to the company that makes it, or distributes it, in Voodoos case. If you're considering buying a D Jab, go for it but cross your fingers. Five stars for the bike, one flying bird for the co.

Submitted by Mike Ruhe a cross-country rider from Woodstock, GA

Date Reviewed: August 7, 1998

Bottom Line:

Just picked the D-Jab up, This bike rocks. Frame was a work of art. The welds are perfect. In line and none of the problems listed in other posts. So far about a week of riding I love the way it feels. It feels locked to turf in turns and handles the tight stuff like a champ. I'm set up with a little shorter stem than normal which seems to be the way to go. I'm 195lbs and do not notice any unwanted flex. The frame does eliminate a good deal of vibration so I find myself riding longer.
This badboy gets 5 hot ones. Will post more after I get more time on it. If your on the fence and the D-Jab is one of your choices do it you will not be unhappy.

Submitted by mike pauli a cross-country rider from st. louis

Date Reviewed: May 12, 1998

Bottom Line:

i picked up my XT/Judy XC equipped D-Jab in the summer of '97 and i love it. i havent experienced any problems in previous posts in regards to frame alignment or anything else...so i guess im lucky. i think the geometry and the behavior of titanium is a winning combination. its a great climber...but the steep head tube makes it a bit shaky on rough, technical descents. the only down side ive seen so far is that with vbrakes, the seat stays FLEX. i picked up a brake booster and solved that right away though. some people dont like the way a ti frame flexes...but im only 5'8,150 lb...so im not too hard on it. the way you can pick out your fork and gruppo is rad too. however, i wish VooDoo would offer the Girvin/Noleen/whatever theyre called now fork option. the judy xc is way to flexy for my taste. props to VooDoo.

Submitted by Diane Philips a weekend warrior from SF, CA

Date Reviewed: March 12, 1998

Bottom Line:

This bike is extremely fast and very responsive. It's sketchy on the stability -- you need to excercise a lot of control (very flickable). I had a problem with the water bottle mount and the biks is missing an o in VOODOO decal logo (VODOO). Even with the smallest size, I feel the frame is too long for my body (5'4).

Submitted by paul a racer from pa

Date Reviewed: August 27, 1997

Bottom Line:

voodoo makes the best bikes PERIOD.

Submitted by Gary Pearson a cross-country rider from Portola Valley, Ca

Date Reviewed: August 11, 1997

Bottom Line:

Any reviews on the Voodoo Boker (Aluminum)? I'm considering buying one for $1,500. What do you think?
Thanks,
Gary

Submitted by John Pentecost a cross-country rider from Maine

Date Reviewed: August 3, 1997

Bottom Line:

Here's an update on my quest for a new frame:
I finally got my new frame in late July, meaning that I waited about 5 months to receive it. During that time, I've learned that they did get other frames in that were properly aligned and in my size, but they sold them all before they fulfilled their warranty obligations. If you've read my review that's posted below, you'll see that the alignment on my original frame was messed up, and that's why I had to get a new one. The new one works great. No more chain rub, and the shop from which I bought the bike (know as Bikeman in all of the magazines) even swapped all the parts over for free (most warrantys do not cover labor, including Voodoo's). I've got about 100 miles in on the new frame and no complaints to report yet except the Designed by Joe Murray decal on the seat tube is UPSIDE DOWN! What the hell. I think that these guys have some pretty serious production and quality control problems.My advise to prospective D-jab buyers would be this: try to arrange a test ride with your dealer before you commit to buying the bike. The lesson I've learned is that if you have a warranty problem, they'll probably end up helping you out, but it will take considerable effort on your part. For example, I had to write letters, send Emails, and finally leave threatening phone messages before I got the service I felt that I was entitled to after paying about $3500 for a bike. The upside is that they let me ride the defective frame as much and as hard as I wanted to before I sent it back. I purposely beat the shit out of that thing and it suffered no ill effects, so I can vouch for its strength and durability. I mean, I went over the handlebars on numerous occasions and had that baby cart-wheeling down hills and into trees. There were a few minor scratches, but that's it.I guess the bottom line is this: The strength of the frame is top-notch, but the integrity of the company is suspect.

Submitted by Troy Babcock a cross-country rider from Cleveland, OH

Date Reviewed: July 31, 1997

Bottom Line:

This bike rules - buy one.

Submitted by Tony Marinella a cross-country rider from Flagstaff, AZ

Date Reviewed: July 25, 1997

Bottom Line:

This bike is extremely fast and very responsive. I can go twice as fast as I could on my Wicked Fat Chance. But I am somewhat dissatisfied with my frame. First of all, the water bottle mounts on the down tube are off center. Secondly, the seat post tube is the wrong size and therefore requires a custom post or a new sleeve has to be put in place of the old one. After what I paid for this bike, ity seems as if Voodoo shold make these things right. So far, I have had no satisfacion. It seems that my only recourse is to find Joe Murray (he lives in Flag) and see if he can help in any way. I am sure he did not design the bike to have these flaws. Other than that I love my new bike.

Submitted by John a cross-country rider from Portland, Maine

Date Reviewed: May 7, 1997

Bottom Line:

I bought this bike with the XTR/Judy SL setup a couple of months ago. It's a single track monster, but soon after buying it I realized that the frame was out of alignment so that the chain rubs against the seatstay when you're in the big ring/ small cog combination. What a pain in the ass. I had some trouble at first getting through to customer service, but once I finally did, they said i'd have a brand spankin' new frame by June. I guess I should repost around that time, but in the meantime, here's my review:
Sort of a steep headtube, so it's a little scetchy on really steep stuff, but a monster at maneuvering through the trees. I'm not sure who manufactures the frames, but other than the aforementioned alignment problem, it looks well put together. It seems to give just the right balnce of stiffness and give, so it makes it a blast to ride.
I'll give it 3 chillies for now, but that may change when I get my new frame in a month or so.

Submitted by Ken Welshons a cross-country rider from Baton Rouge, LA

Date Reviewed: April 15, 1997

Bottom Line:

If you are in the market for a new bike you need to take a long hard look at Voodoo. These bikes
are awesome. Their Ti bike the D-Jab is a level above the rest. The Voodoo's have a sloping top
tube that makes them single track monsters. They claw up the course begging for more. The top
tubes are also long (Yeti long) so if you like to go fast on the downhills this is the bike for you. The
D-Jab's Q-factor is just as good as everything else at Voodoo. We took it out the box looking for
something to be wrong. Nobody in the shop could find anything!! Voodoo offers so many
different setups for their bike you cannot go wrong. They will even customize a bike to your liking.
I cannot say enough good things about this bike. The material, the craftmenship, the ride this bike
is the best I have ever ridden. With all the different componet setups you can get on a Voodoo
their is bound to be one in your price range. If there is not a shop in your area that carries
Voodoo contact the company they will work with you to get you on a Voodoo. By far the best
money you may ever spend.