VooDoo Bizango Bike 1998 or Older

4.74/5 (35 Reviews)

Voodoo Bizango

Submitted by jack_read a Weekend Warrior from Bolton, MA USA

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2009

Strengths:    Weight, handling, looks, cool cable outing that works well

Weaknesses:    NONE!!!

Bottom Line:
This is the best hardtail I've ever ridden. I built this bike about 3 months ago after picking up this 1996 Voodoo Bizango frame. It had never been built! I love this bike and can't imagine ever wanting another hardtail. I've got this bike set up for cross country. It weighs in at a touch over 25 pounds. When I first built it up I had WTB tires on it- a Mutano 2.4 on the front and a Motoraptor 2.14 on the back. It handled pretty well. This weekend I changed the tires to IRC Mythos XC II kevlar front and rear (1.95/2.1). What a tremendous improvement in handling! The bike is totally point 'n shoot. I rode it in its first "official" XC race today. I've done this race 3 times previously but was never remotely close to as fast (or as happy) as on the Voodoo. One thousand chilis!

Purchased At:   Self built

Similar Products Used:   '08 Sette frame/Deore build, '06 Trek 4500, '94 Trek 930SHX, '88 Specialized Hardrock

Bike Setup:   XT rear derailleur, SLX front, XT hubs, Mavix 717 rims, Rockshox Duke XC, Raceface bars and stem, Shimano clipless pedals

Submitted by josh74man a Cross Country Rider from Sydney, NSW, Australia

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2009

Strengths:    Great Ride. Strong Frame. Holds a great line. Fits standard sized components for ease of customization.

Weaknesses:    Gets a bit squirrely on loose descents. Little bit heavy for a racing hardtail frame, but well worth it.

Bottom Line:
Used this bike for the past couple of months for everything from the daily commute to 100km+ enduro races. I ride it every day. Comfortable, good handling, tough, and useful. Climbs like a champion. Looks the goods too. Steel is real. I found the optional v-brake mounts so cool that I had to use them instead of discs.
Buy this bike if you want to own one bicycle and use it for all manor of applications. Racing, fun rides, commuting; this one does them all comfortably and well. I'm happy.

Favorite Trail:   Wingello

Similar Products Used:   Jamis, Raleigh, and Specialized hardtails.

Bike Setup:   xt/lx, Reba's, etc. Still using v-brakes.

Submitted by j a Cross Country Rider from Vancouver BC

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2009

Strengths:    Light frame, not at all stiff, perfect geometry, glides like a feather on the wind...

Weaknesses:    Needs a tune up but that's my negligence.....

Bottom Line:
Best bike I ever did ride............

Favorite Trail:   Sea to Sky

Purchased At:   Pawn shop

Similar Products Used:   To say a factory frame is similar to hand made frame is comparing apples to oranges!

Bike Setup:   Titec-Mavic-

Submitted by Marcus Kruse a Weekend Warrior from Dearborn, MI, USA

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2007

Strengths:    The weight for a steel bike is incredible.

Weaknesses:    The handling is a bit quirky

Bottom Line:
This bike is now for sale! Make a fair offer & this dream ride could be yours. I love this bike but need the cash for lifes ups & downs. This bike has some upgrades to it. It climbs hills like no other I have ever seen. It can also just cruise the pavement with the best out there. It is just the best I've ever had . period.

Similar Products Used:   gtr,dbr,gary fisher,among others

Bike Setup:   titec neck & 2014 bars,judy x/c forks, shimano deore components, put my fisher rims on this bike rides like a dream!

Submitted by VooDooGuy a Weekend Warrior from Scottsdale, AZ

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2007

Strengths:    The frame is wonderful. After 11+ years under my butt, it continues to ride like a charm. Nice flex in the frame and able to handle what comes my way. A bit loose on the turns, but a shorter stem seems to have made them go much better. There will probably never be another bike like this one. Bought from when VooDoo still was owned by VooDoo.

Weaknesses:    A bit twitchy on fast turns, but I think I got that taken care of.

Bottom Line:
Great bike! Need I say more?

Favorite Trail:   tht a way

Purchased At:   Trailhead

Similar Products Used:   there is nothing similar in my opinion

Bike Setup:   XT; Thomson Stem; WTB VelociRaptors

Submitted by wendy (voodoo woman) a Cross Country Rider from las vegas. nv

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2004

Strengths:    My 18.5" Tange steel frame fits me perfectly. I'm a 5'8" voodoo woman (born in New Orleans). I can ride for hours and not feel it.

Weaknesses:    No weakness. Just the hexes she throws. The day I brought her home from new mexico, it rained for 2 weeks straight here in las vegas. One of my favorite local trails caught fire 30 minutes after I rode her there. Other bikes get flats if I park them near her. (I need to get her a worthy Moots partner) I could go on. This one got out of the factory before the "hex free" exorcism that voodoo promises. Needless to say, I painted 'BADGIRL' next to bizango.

Bottom Line:
GET A VOODOO IF YOU CAN FIND ONE!!!!!!! I rescued this one from a garage in Alberquerque, NM. She hadn't been touched in 6 years. No wonder she was pissed off! The sexiest ass I have ever seen on a bike!!!!!!!!! Curved seatstays, ritchy dropouts. I have riden bikes for years. To class,to work, to the store, on the trail. I love riding, But this is the first time I have been in love with my bike. The term irrational devotion fits here. I have not left her locked up outside anywhere! (I take the trek for that. Although it would probably get stolen first! Noone knows voodoo.) I LOVE MY VOODOO! TILL DEATH DO US PART!!!!!!

Similar Products Used:   Nothing compares. Ive owned a GIANT doublebutted AL, a SPECIALIZED cromoly, a TREK cromoly, other steel frames. The voodoo is in a world of its own.

Bike Setup:   funky orange Tange steel (does anyone know the paint color #? looks like slight pearl or metallic in it) XT, XTR, shram 9.0, 2002 carbon crown sid air shock( dark metalic blue) I added this part, she came with a 98 judy. Chris King, mavic 517 with blue nipples, I added kenda kosmic lites (480g each) I will be adding FETISH carbon fiber seatpost and stem. The 1998 mountain bike mag lists this frame and set up at $4100 new.

Submitted by Gaines Tyler a Cross Country Rider from Mystic, CT, USA

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2004

Strengths:    Excellent climber, superfast downhills, really flickable

Weaknesses:    Rear dropout (derailleur side) bends fairly easily, difficult to realign. This happened when I picked up a stick and snapped my rear derailleur off.

Bottom Line:
At first, the bike was a little scary, and seemed way to twitchy. I think this is mostly because the short top tube puts my weight forward. This is great for climbing however, and when I stand up and shift my ass back for steep downhills, I feel invincible, as my weight shifts back giving me good stability. The more I ride it, the more I love it. Too bad they're out of business.

Favorite Trail:   pisgah, arcadia RI

Purchased At:   Vernon Cycles

Bike Setup:   XT throughout, Titec stem, seatpost, bar, Mavic 222's, WTB Velociraptors, Specialized seat

Submitted by voodoo chile a Cross Country Rider from L.I.,ny

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2004

Strengths:    well, hear i am again, singing the praises of the bizango. after several mtbking vacations im more impressed with this bike than ever. ive made it a point to take this bike all over the east coast and she performs flawlessly. whether its the mountains of nc, or the super technical trail of conn. the bizango brings it. joe murray's design is perfecto for east coast riding, which is funny because i think he's from the left coast.

Weaknesses:    cant find another 19.5in bizango to buy.

Bottom Line:
supposedly voodoo is making a come back, if so and tight technical single track is your thing, you owe it to yourself to ride the bizango. no other bike can cast a spell upon the trails like a voodoo, peace.

Favorite Trail:   dupont nf, pisgah,nc

Purchased At:   babylon,bikes

Similar Products Used:   read other posts under "edouble". thats me also.

Bike Setup:   ditto

Submitted by Thomas Bartels a Cross Country Rider from Los Angeles, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2004

Strengths:    - lightweight(esp for steel)
- fast & agile
- climbs like a monkey on crack
- ritchey drop-outs
- pretty

Weaknesses:    - no rear disk brake mounts, but who really needs them on this bike anyway(i have an old model).

Bottom Line:
Originally I bought this bike on the voodoo website as a blemished frame(tiny paint blemish). I built it up as best I could afford at the time and expected to be riding it for the rest of my life and would upgrade it as soon as I could. After almost 5 years it is still living up to my expectations. My riding style has changed from purely XC to more freeride and urban and with a few tweaks to my equipment I am still totally satisfied. This bike can do anything, and now that BTI is distributing VooDoo in the US, you can get one too. ;)

Purchased At:   voodoocycles.com

Similar Products Used:   Parkpre Sceptre Comp

Bike Setup:   king h/s
marzocchi z.3 80mm fork
titec stem, salsa moto-ace h/b
wtb speed-v race saddle
shimano XT RR der
shimano XT cassette
shimano XTR chain
shimano LX hubs/sun rhyno-lite rims
shimano LX rim brakes w/hayes hml levers
nokian gazaloddi core 2.3 ft tire, 2.1 rr
crank bros mallet-c pedals
mrp lrp

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2002

Strengths:    i keep forgeting to rate this frame

Weaknesses:    check old posts

Bottom Line:
bike gets sweeter by the day. awesome in tight,twisty single track and climbs walls.

Favorite Trail:   da'wiss in philly

Purchased At:   babylon bikes

Similar Products Used:   ditto

Bike Setup:   avid xt,fsx mavic,syncros,truvativ,conti,raceface,koobi

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2002

Strengths:    stated in my previous post on this frame.

Weaknesses:    ditto

Bottom Line:
initially i loved the handling of this bike but hated the stiffer than normal ride due to the small triangles created by the sloping top tube design. the koobi prs saddle changed that and now i love everything about it. oh, also the prodigy post w/1" of layback really opened up the cockpit (im 6ft.2 riding a 19.5in frame)with no light weight parts it weighs a stunning 24lbs. im not a weight weenie by any means (240lbs)i just used what i had lying around so this surprised me.mine's is a 97 w/ the funky orange color. they dont make voodoo's anymore so i wont torture you with how great the ride is, just know that i will never sell this frame.

Favorite Trail:   da'wiss in philly

Purchased At:   babylon bikes

Similar Products Used:   jamis dragon,airborne blackwidow, xero flux

Bike Setup:   fsx fork w/speed spring's, gripshift,xt,mavic 221's, conti's,raceface prodigy stem and post,koobi prs saddle syncros 1" riser bar, time pedals

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Albuquerque NM

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2002

Strengths:    Quick handling
Light
Comfortable
Pretty

Bottom Line:
Bought in 1996

Light (sub 23 lb) flickable bike that goes where you point it and climbs walls. I don't know why everyone's complaining about the paint - mine wasn't painted, it was powdercoated. Nary a chip after six years, some dulling along the top tube where the cables have stummed against it. Sidenote on the Icon barends - sure they're scary light, but if they break, the worst that can happen is I fall over at 5 mph. I only use them when climbing.

Purchased At:   Santiam Bicycle, Salem OR

Rock Shox SID SL (2002) fork
San Marco Concor Light Ti saddle
Sugino Mighty 900 crank with Al chainring bolts, Ti crankbolts
Race Face Turbine BB
XTR rear derailleur and cassette
XT front derailleur
Icon (70 gram!) bar-ends
Ti bolt and axle kit

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2002

Strengths:    nimble handling, short wheelbase,small triangles for in creased stiffness, very fast downhill.

Weaknesses:    not as supple in the rear as some steel frames , paint chips soooooooo easy.

Bottom Line:
ive been looking for a steel hardtail that had a sloping top tube,for a stiff front triangle, relatively short wheelbase for a big bike,19.5 in frame (im 6ft 2in 240lbs,the trails here are really tight)and quick,nimble handling. this bike is all of those things. the small rear triangle was beating the hell out of me but the koobi prs saddle took the edge off big time. this bike climbs well and absolutely flies down hill. they dont make them anymore, mines is a 97 and im very pleased with it.

Favorite Trail:   westwood

Purchased At:   babylon bikeshop

Similar Products Used:   jamis dragon (awesome) airborne blackwidow (harsh rear end but greatclimber) universal cycles zero flux (quick and nimble) great value.

Bike Setup:   z2bam, xt, mavic 225's, syncros, salsa,hutchinson pythons, time pedals,koobi prs saddle

Submitted by Captain Worldbike a Cross Country Rider from Richmond, VA

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2001

Strengths:    Quick and nimble, durable, sooo smooth.

Weaknesses:    Other than paint(who cares if you really ride), none.

Bottom Line:
I never thought the top line bikes were all that much better than the sub $1k ones, but this is a super schweet ride well worth the dough. The long top tube feels fine. At 195lbs, 5'10" this bike can handle my size. Anybody can have a mass produced bike like Trek or Fisher, but you'll see scant few Voodoos on the trail.

Favorite Trail:   VA: Pocohantas Park, CO: Breckenridge

Purchased At:   Traded For Web Site (www.worldbike.com)

Similar Products Used:   K2 Beast, Trek VRX200, Fisher Tassajara, Univega 600, Raleigh M80

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi Bomber Z2, Mavic rims, White wheels, full XTR, Geax rubber, Titic bars, Raceface stem, Chris King headset

Submitted by Peter a Cross-Country Rider from Coventry in Sunny England

Date Reviewed: September 6, 1999

Strengths:
Light, nimble, quick

Weaknesses:
Yep, the paint job ain't so good. But it ain't bad

Bottom Line:
This is a 97 Bizango (the orange one), so not 853 but Tange Superlight. It is a great bike. Why buy aluminium when steel can be like this? I guess to get a steel frame to ride like this takes engineering, and that costs, so it's cheaper just to build in aluminium. But anyone who rides alimium, take note, this steed can do it all without making your bones ache!Mine is 18.5. For my height I should really ride a 17.25. Don't know how much difference this makes, but if a smaller frame made much of an improvement on this it would a truely awesome machine.This is a bike that you grow with. It always feels like it can do whatever you want. You never reach its limits. It climbs great, if it went any better downhill it would have wings.Scrap the Zaskar (thy're made in Taiwain, don't care what GT say) and get real.

English Peak District