Univega FS750 Bike 1998 or Older

4.5/5 (10 Reviews)

Univega FS750

Submitted by Steve Spellman a Cross Country Rider from Columbia, Missouri, USA

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2007

Strengths:    Built like a rock. I have ridden my Univega FS750 9 years now, on single track, gravel roads, but mainly commuting year round on city streets/bike trails. It gets around well on any terrain and any weather: rain, ice, even got me through 12 inches of snow last winter when roads were closed. Other than dings to the paint, frame is in perfect shape, though have replaced near every component over time. Super easy stand over for stop & go commuting.

Weaknesses:    Frame tubing too large to fit in some bike racks. unusual shaped frame, now covered with political bumper stickers, could be first assumed by the untrained eye to be of Wal-mart origins.

Bottom Line:
A very unique bike that people around town know as mine. With how its held up through the beating it's taken over 9 years through all kinds of conditions, it is the best value bike I have ever owned. Do they make 'em like this anymore? Planning to replace with cyclocross bike, but still keep this Univega for riding in poor weather.

Favorite Trail:   Rock Bridge State Park - Columbia, MO

Purchased At:   Trailside CAfe, Rocheport, MO

Similar Products Used:   schwinn entry level mtn bike, newer Road bike.

Bike Setup:   indy suspension fork, STX components, WTB tires & saddle original. have upgraded over time as components wear out.

Submitted by Matthew R a Cross Country Rider from San Angelo, Texas

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2007

Strengths:    All around solid performer! Pedals are nice, Brakes, Stem, and Handlebars, mountings for 2 water bottles!, rims and hubs, shock is adjustable. Nice paint job. Light bike!

Weaknesses:    Y frame makes it hard to fit on some bike racks.

Bottom Line:
I've owned this bike 8 years! And have added tons of miles on it. I've worn out 3 sets of tires. This thing still is solid. if you can find one get it! It is a performer. Univega isn't the most popular brands but this bike will get you some respect for Univega bikes.

Favorite Trail:   San Angelo State Park

Purchased At:   Private Party- Used

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn, Department Store bikes

Bike Setup:   New Tires (Specialized), New Seat (Specialized body geometry), Removed pedal clips- otherwise stock.

Submitted by Craig Rowe a weekend warrior from Orlando, Florida

Date Reviewed: February 1, 1999

Bottom Line:

I have been wondering when I would get a full explanation regarding the absolute steal price I got my Univega FS 750 at. I found out at this iste they discontinued it...anyway...Loaded with Shimano, STX and LX, and an Indy front, I see no reason why one can't make this tear up any trail. Sure I only hit the flat, technical single tracks of Florida, but its bullish strength and technical grace combines to make a serious ass-kicker. I find it well-balanced and quick on turns, and easy to jump. The only negative rides on the under my tires, so I better get new rims before I'm serving them up with a six-pack value meal at the Bell. Well, okay rims are important, but the frame and all componets rock...this bike is sweet all the way around and I'll hang on to it for quite a while.

Submitted by Frank Zika a cross-country rider from San Luis Obispo, Ca

Date Reviewed: December 12, 1998

Bottom Line:

Wow! A Univega support group. I'm wondering if anyone out there owns a Univega like mine. It has a Dual Action Comp 7005 frame and came with a Fox Vanilla RX rear shock stock. It originally was all XTR but I bought just the frame and set it up LX/XT with Marzocchi Z2. It's a great bike. Looks just like a Rocky Mountain Element. Handles very well and is very durable. I don't know what I'll do when the rear suspension bushings wear out. Does anyone out there have one? Email me if you do. I'll give my bike 4 out of 5. It's a bit heavy.

Submitted by Cristian Alexander a cross-country rider from Houston, Tx

Date Reviewed: October 30, 1998

Bottom Line:

I bought a bike made by a company called Motobecan I've tried looking for its history and found nothing. I maybe wrong, but my bike suspiciously looks a lot like the Univega FS bike. Except for the difference in components, it is a dead ringer. Anyway, if it is or isn't, I'd like to say that the $650 I spent in getting the bike with no upgrades was worth every penny. I do climbs and jump all sorts of stuff on this thing. I look forward to every romp and stomp I can get my hands on. I planning to buy a better bike in the coming weeks, but this one will be my everyday bike!!!

Submitted by Tyler Smith a weekend warrior from Eugene OR USA

Date Reviewed: September 14, 1998

Bottom Line:

I want to make a note that I am NOT the other T-Smith on this list.my review for this bike
AWESOME!! If there is any bike I would suggest someone to get it would be this bike! I got it about 280 miles ago for $519 and have added a cateye speedometer and light since. I got it because my old 97' univega activa-trail (yeah, I know it sucks) fell apart after around 2200 miles. so i sold it and amazingly I got fifty bucks for it which I put toward my new bike. I've had it for about 3 weeks and put it through the full torture test and it passed 101 percent! if you're thinking about getting it, There is a time to think and a time to act... and this is no time to think! get this bike NOW!!! (even I cant break it... Yet)

Submitted by Miller a weekend warrior

Date Reviewed: September 6, 1998

Bottom Line:

This is a good bike, solid in all areas,without a monthly payment.In tight trails it is very responsive...Ya it probable could use a hardware upgrade down the trail, but so will any other bike. Univega is not a name that competes with Cannondale or Trek but line the bikes up, and go down the list.The only diffrences will be price and name.Ya people will mention frames...but in reality Univega's USA made frame is and does exactly what a 7000 series aluminum frame should...STAY TOGETHER....Buy the BIKE!...oh ya the rating?? if it was free it would of been 5

Submitted by Roger Bonin a weekend warrior from Lincoln, Nebraska

Date Reviewed: August 23, 1998

Bottom Line:

I bought the Univega Fs750 because it had decent components and it was cheap. (less than $500.) I was going to use it as a beat around town bike and acutally like it better than I like my Cannondale F-1000. It fun to ride, responsive, takes single track well and is just begging to be upgraded. I understand these are not available anymore, so if you get a chance, grab one. They're great bikes.

Submitted by tsmith a weekend warrior from philadelphia

Date Reviewed: May 6, 1998

Bottom Line:

I bought a 1998 Univega fs 750 about 250 miles ago for $499 (discounted from $700 list). Nice shimano and indy-c components and ride but get an upgraded gel saddle. Univega is now apparently owned by raleigh, and started discounting 1998 Univega bikes in april 1998 -- so dont pay the list price.

Submitted by Larry Parker a weekend warrior from Lake Mary, FL

Date Reviewed: March 5, 1998

Bottom Line:

bought this FS bike for $650. I wanted an entry level FS bike to see if I would like it. I don't think you can beat it
for the price. It came equipped with all Shimano components and an Indy shock. Not the best, but it performs well
for my riding ability. I would definitely recommend this bike for anyone who is looking for an entry level suspension
bike. It is very easy to handle and ride.