Univega 900DS Bike 1998 or Older

4.43/5 (35 Reviews)

Univega 900DS

Submitted by H-Bomb a Weekend Warrior from St. Louis, MO, USA

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2005

Strengths:    Best price for a full suspension mountain bike...

Weaknesses:    gear ratio, overall weight - a little heavy, not prone to handle shifters - prefer thumb shifters

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike having owned a Univega rigid for about 5 years. The price was only $100 more than what I had paid for my other bike years before and had full suspension. I am not a hardcore racer but I haven't found a situation that doesn't suit this bike. For my size (5'11", 190lbs, mostly legs), the bike geometry is good without handlebar-knee slap. Used to the weight, but by no means is it "light". Nowhere near as heavy as your Wal-Mart specials though.

I have seen people complain about the suspension being too soft, but that has not been my experience. I love the adjustability and have learned what set ups work for different surfaces and trails. Dialing in the right stiffness to suit the trail is like an indy car driver finding the right race set up. When it is done right, the bike is a dream to navigate.

Also heard about the frame wobbling and fork bending. Haven't experienced that either. Great on downhill sections, feels compliant. Aggressive seating position, but not too forward. Great on the technical stuff with a pair of clipless pedals.

For the price, and my personal experience, best value for a full suspension bike. For anyone less than a competitive racer, this is an excellent quality bike.

Favorite Trail:   Bald Mountain Park

Purchased At:   a Saginaw, MI bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Univega Alpina 5.1 (1993)

Submitted by Vince Pardo a Cross Country Rider from Bayonne, NJ

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2003

Strengths:    Sturdy Frame & you get what you pay for.

Weaknesses:    rear can be a little wobbly at times which means it needs tune up.

Bottom Line:
Bought this bike in 99. Original bike cost was $700 and after the almost full upgrade spent more or less $2000. I'm pretty happy with the upgrade which helped a bunch with the weight of the bike compared to the original weight when i first bought it and the ride is now very competative with the high end bikes that are out there which will cost a whole lot more than what i've spent so far for this bike. DS 900 will kick ass once you upgrade it!

Favorite Trail:   Hartshorne, NJ

Purchased At:   Brooklyn

Bike Setup:   Monkey bar lite 2, Race Face crankset & bottom bracket, shimano XTR brakes shifters and deraileur, Marzocchi bomber front shocks, still have the old rst rear shocks, Chris King headset, Kenda Kharisma Crystal tires, FIR W420 rims by Blaine Velo, Sram 9.0 hubs

Submitted by Andy Chi a Weekend Warrior from Malaysia

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2002

Strengths:    Frame - Lightweight & strong

Weaknesses:    Frame color (gold) and shape

Bottom Line:
This review is for the frame only. I got it dirt cheap cos' its a used one. Apart for its appearance, its a top class FS frame. After assembling it weighted around 27lbs. It climbs and downhill very well. It has made me one satisfied and happy owner.

Favorite Trail:   Bukit Kiara

Similar Products Used:   GT LTS 4000, Specialize Rockhopper, Diamondback Vectra

Bike Setup:   Manitou SXR, LX hubs, brake lever, shifters & front derailur, Sun 17A rims, XT rear derailur, Bontrager crankset, Ameoba carbon fiber bar, Kalloy seatpost & Specialize BG saddle

Submitted by Steve Courville a Weekend Warrior from Essexville, Michigan, USA

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2000

Strengths:    Light, looks cool.

Weaknesses:    derailleurs, rims, weak frame, gripshift sucks, fork, rear shock, unconfortable after ridden for a while.

Bottom Line:
When I first purchased this bike used, I thought it was a great deal for $300, therefore i wrote a good reveiw for the bike and gave it 4 "flamin' chilis." Now I know why the previous owner decided to sell this bike. It has been nothing but a hastle since the week after I bought it. The frame is creaking really bad and is about to crack, the rear derailleur snapped and keeps going out of adjustment, the rim bent really bad and broke two spokes. I have decided to get a complete overhaul from a new frame to bottom brackets. I now have realized what I had gotten tricked into buying. A bike that breaks and will keep breaking until I buy new componets. I now give it 1 "flamin' chili"

Favorite Trail:   Rifle River

Purchased At:   The Stable

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Steve a Weekend Warrior from Michigan USA

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2000

Strengths:    Light frame, good components for price, looks cool, brakes work great,

Weaknesses:    A bit unconfortable when ridden for a while, fork, rims, gears.

Bottom Line:
For the money, this bike is one of the best deals i have found. If you are just riding for the fun and need somthing that is reliable for a cheap price, this bike is for you. If you are a more serious rider you will either have to get a different bike or upgrade the DS. The fork is too soft and doesnt have enough travel and the rear shock doesnt work very good. But overall this bike is a great deal for the price. I give this bike 4 Flamin' Cilis.

Favorite Trail:   Rifle River Recreation Area

Purchased At:   The Stable

Similar Products Used:   (none)

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Jordan Adams a Racer from Cave Creek Arizona

Date Reviewed: December 7, 1999

Strengths:
It rides smooth and is perfect for the price.

Weaknesses:
The suspension isn't very good and its heavy

Bottom Line:
I like the bike alot but if you want to race I would by a hardtail that is lighter. But it is a good bike for beginners to learn how to ride on. It helped me become the rider I am.

derasara

2 Years

I put xt front and rear derailers on it. Lx crankset and Judy Sl shock on it and i love it

Submitted by DAVID COOPER JR. a Cross-Country Rider from MANAMA, BAHRAIN

Date Reviewed: August 28, 1999

Strengths:
Suspension and handling in the sand

Weaknesses:
Handlebar stem and binder bolt strip.

Bottom Line:
I ride the bike everyday to/from work 30 miles round trip and after only 2 months of riding I was extremely disappointed to have the binder bolt strip without ever having a wrench placed on it while I've owned it. Now it's taxi rides everyday until I can have another stem shipped from the states. A side from the stem problem the bike has road very well and in the sandy conditions in the Middle East you need a dependable, roughed and forgiving bike.

COUNTRY OF BAHRAIN

Original equipment

Submitted by nlc a Cross-Country Rider from LA. C.A.

Date Reviewed: June 21, 1999

Strengths:
The best $700 you will spend.

Weaknesses:
For the price there is none!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bottom Line:
This bike is to die for.

3 months

Submitted by nlc a Cross-Country Rider from LA. C.A.

Date Reviewed: June 21, 1999

Strengths:
The best $700 you will spend.

Weaknesses:
For the price there is none!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bottom Line:
This bike is to die for.

Submitted by Greg a Cross-Country Rider from Ooltewah, TN

Date Reviewed: April 29, 1999

Strengths:
decent frameset

Weaknesses:
front shock

Bottom Line:
Boy, if I had known then what I know now. I can't really blame Univega for my disappointment with my 900, but I think I learned a valuable lesson about bike shop salesmen. I was a mountain biking virgin when I made this purchase and after vigorously pursuing the sport for about two years now, I really wish I had hooked up with a salesman who had a little more foresight than simply putting some cash in the till. Univega has done well to provide a full suspension bike in an affordable price range, but for anyone who intends to get at all serious about montain biking, don't buy a 900. If you do buy a 900, upgrade the front shock before you leave the store unless you have a death wish. Also, and probably most importantly, if you are a novice as I was at the time of my purchase, be extremely careful as to who you allow to sell you a bike. Since the purchase of my Univega, fortunately I have discovered at least two other bike shops where the salespeople are genuinely concerned about the customer and are willing to spend time determining needs. I guess this review has been more about bike shop owners than the Univega 900. Find the right shop with good people and you'll be happy. The guy that sold me my Univega really sucks and won't get another dime from me. Enough tirade. Ride hard.

2 Years

Submitted by The Norm a weekend warrior from USA

Date Reviewed: March 8, 1999

Bottom Line:

This bike is pretty cool. It is of great value for 699. However by the time I upgraded it to 8spd and customized my components and put some desent front suspension on it, it will cost quite a bit. I am a rather tall rider about 6'2 so I purchased a 20 frame and the rear suspension is unbelievably stiff, basically like riding a hard tail. If your planning on upgrading to better components and plusher suspension you might want to save up another 250-300 bucks an get a level betty or a lts 3000. But if you are just looking for a strict cross-country bike (meaning no downhill) it's a great deal. I give the bike only 3 stars because I do a bit of every thing and it only excells at cross-country and street.

Submitted by Terry Sheldon a weekend warrior from Eugene, OR USA

Date Reviewed: February 22, 1999

Bottom Line:

As a first time buyer of a mountain bike, I knew I wanted a bike I could depend on while 25 miles out on a trail. I am not a tree climber, but I like to jump a little and push myself and my bike. I also couldn't afford what I was seeing out there in full suspension brand names like Cannondale, Fisher, Trek, etc. After finding the Univega and reading reviews, I decided to give it a try. And after almost a year of great riding on dirt, mud, ice, snow, lava, roots and gravel, it makes me really wonder what the real difference is between this bike and one a grand or two more. (That's a retorical question, the obvious answer is BRAND NAME). Let's be honest, here, people. Unless you race professionally on your bike, are you going to be able to even tell the difference in performance, and if so, does it really matter? So as far as I'm concerned, you can go out and try to impress your friends and be 1 or 2,000 dollars poorer (and stupider), or you can get this bike and have a ball on it for a lot less! Heck, with the money you save, you can buy another Univega for your sweetheart, plus an awfully nice bike rack.

Submitted by Chris S a cross-country rider from Houston Texas(west side)

Date Reviewed: February 4, 1999

Bottom Line:

Bought my DS900 last year on a year end closeout for $625. What a deal, a great bike for a super great price. So far I have changed out the seatpost and handlebar to LP Composites and added a Titec DH Ti Berserkr saddle and Bontrager stem. I also changed the RST 281(to soft) for a Manitou FS Ti. This bike handles great in and out of mud. It continues to amaze me on the beating it can take and still come out in one piece. I plan on upgrading the 7spd to 8spd very soon and reduce the gear ratio for easier climbing but in the bayou's of Houston the 7spd is just fine for everyday riding. I deffinitly have no complaints. Buy this bike if you are looking for a lot of bike for a little money.

Submitted by Gary Chavez a weekend warrior from Wyoming

Date Reviewed: December 12, 1998

Bottom Line:

I purchased my DS950 this summer, and to tell you all right now I have had more fun on this awesome mountain bike than any bike I have ever owned. I have also broken more bones on this bicycle; 3 ribs; 1 Knee cap. In my book the DS950 is an affordable bike with more overall performance than any Cannondale, Trek ...... so on and so forth. I think you get my point. BUY THIS BIKE!! You will love it.

Submitted by EFS a cross-country rider from South Dakota

Date Reviewed: December 2, 1998

Bottom Line:

THE Univega DS950 ,with a few upgrades, kicks ever-lovin monkey butt!
Only problems are bottle mounts and a weird seatpost size. Camelback and Tamer
spacer took care of those. Now I just need to move so I can really use it.