Trek 9900 Bike Bike 1998 or Older

4.18/5 (62 Reviews)

Trek 9900 SHX

Submitted by lawrence saiyo a Cross Country Rider from Grass Valley, CA, US

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2008

Strengths:    im not sure what its strengths are.
its light though. rides rad for how old it is.

Weaknesses:    constant fear of it shattering

Bottom Line:
well, how this bike became mine truly is strange. i usually ride my 2007 s-works stumpjumper until the brain fade crapped out. so it had to go to the shop for about 2 weeks or so. and i went home kinda sad cause i didnt have a bike to ride. until i was tooling around in the garage, and realized i had my dads old trek 9700. Hey! its carbon fiber! cool. my brother used it for about 2 years in UC irvine to get around with it. and my dad barley ever rode it. ever. so since it was purchsed in 1998, it had only been a commuter bike for about a year. and i wanted to ride it. not good for a kid that has a tendency to break things and is attached to full suspension bikes. so i stripped the bike down, and started putting this frankenstien monster together. i turned out to be a 2.125:1 ratio singlespeed (a b**ch to pedal around)and a 4in travel high standing manitou coil/oil fork. super slack head angle + short stem + 1.5 in rise handle bars and avid breaks...what more could ya ask for? i just know that it will climb most things vertical if you have thighs big enough and and suuuppperrrr sweet on the local rutted and rooted baby head 30mph+ descent. 5 outta 5 flamin chilis, cause i dont miss my s-works. (surprisingly)

Favorite Trail:   anything fast, sweet, smooth, tech, and tight.

Purchased At:   home

Submitted by Keith a Cross Country Rider from Stafford, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2006

Strengths:    Light, Fast, Good on Single Track, Climbs like a monkey.

Weaknesses:    Brakes are good, but need some attention, like most V-Brakes

Bottom Line:
This a great ride for the cross country rider. Extremely Light, Soft to ride and durable. Enjoy it the most of all my bikes.

Favorite Trail:   DC Trail Sytem

Purchased At:   1200.00

Similar Products Used:   Trek 5200 road frame, Sully Softride MountianBike

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Clay a Cross Country Rider from Corpus Christi, TX,

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2002

Strengths:    I bought a 9700 which, on the test ride (pre-riding at Rocky Hill Ranch), I dropped down a steep ravine and misjudged the landing badly enough that I broke the frame and bent the fork. Trek sent me two frames to choose from, and my choice I raced for 3 seasons and have just ridden it for the four years after, and I cannot compliment this frame enough but to say I bought the OCLV road bike. I still stop and check the back tire to see if it's flat, only to find 50psi and just a great feeling hardtail. I know they've 'improved' subsequent frames, but I wouldn't trade my warrior (or my six year old road frame) for any reason short of Trek telling me I had to.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
Do not hesitate to buy one of these frames and ride and race it while smiling (if I were in the market, the STP 400 would be my top choice non-custom frame).

Purchased At:   CC Riders

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   mostly old stuff that's light while still being well made.

Submitted by Andreas Klauser a Cross Country Rider from Feldafing

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2002

Strengths:    Light, Frames dampening.

Weaknesses:    None at all

Bottom Line:
This Frame is best. It is forgiving and comfortable (if xc addict, you'll never care for a fully anymore), it damn fast, it endures. The one frame I'd buy time and again. Even the DeKerf Cromoly is definitely harsher. Buy one, you'll never touch anything else.

Purchased At:   Radsport Rabe Munich

Similar Products Used:   Marin Indian Fire Trail 1996, DeKerf Generation 1996, Jot Chili Zymotic 98, Cycle Craft CPS03

Bike Setup:   Bought 9900 OCLV Pro Issue Frame, built it up Custom: Marzocchi Atom Race, XTR, Tune, Moots, Syntace, Ritchey parts

Submitted by scott clark a Cross Country Rider from tulsa, OK

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2002

Strengths:    light as can be, I have had no problems whatsoever. I love this bike.

Weaknesses:    mine is a 94-95 model(!!!) and it was originally made for a rigid fork. Since then I have put on a judy, then a sid and the handling is a little slow now.

Bottom Line:
I am sure that everybody out there has something that is sorta old, kinda out of date that they are in love with. That is what this bike is to me. Mine is actually the 9800 and the only thing original thats left on it is the stem. I have the one that is old school natural carbon with the red trek decals and I have done some upgrades to it and it looks so cool. I swear, if I take it into a bike shop now, the guys that have been around awhile cant help but smile and just tell me how cool it is but I do get the warnings about frame breakage, which Ive had no problem. I am not some passive rider either. I might be out of shape(I am) but I can get after it and I've tested this bike every summer for the past few years in colorado. It gets so hot here we just go liftbiking and last year we were in Vail and it was just before the WC's and I was riding with a bunch of downhillers with $5,000 bikes and I'm on some old trek hardtail with V brakes. I was pretty much torturing my bike so I could look cool or fast or whatever and my bike took it, it ruled. Except I wanted more fork and disc brakes, but I dont love there so screw it. I ride pretty rocky stuff here in OK so I got a suspension seatpost which I like a lot. The frame has some inherent compliance but our trails have gotten terrible and there arent many places to ride so I just adapted. I love that bike and I am never going to get rid of it. The best review I can give is that the bike has now become more than just a bike and is part of who I am and I am proud of it, where I've been with it, and I am excited about the places that I'm gonna get to with it. It has given me adventure, given me pain(I was on it when I got all my teeth broken out...), and was even my main form of transportation in college. I've had this thing for nearly 8 years and I would love to have her for as long as she'll have me.

Favorite Trail:   long trail, winter park

Purchased At:   used from LBS employee who didnt really ride...

Similar Products Used:   GT Psyclone(ruled-custom), raleigh, old inferior stuff.

Bike Setup:   Mostly XT with a SID up front and Rock Shox seatpost. Sun Rhyno Lite wheels

Submitted by Michael a Racer from Cambridge MA

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2001

Strengths:    Very light ,no rust, stiff- and, in my case, excellent warranty service.

Weaknesses:    Very light, stiff, WILL shatter if hit right.

Bottom Line:
This frame is great ,and terrible, at the same time. All the things written about it AND Trek are true. The dealer seems to make the differance when it breaks. And most serious owners break at least one. Why? Because it's made of different types of carbon in the tubes and joints. the lugs at the head tube etc. are almost too strong and they can overwhelm the nearby tube. Supposedly, Trek made the chain stay area lighter at one point because tons of frames were separating at the chain stay/ BB joint. the joint was strong but then you would shatter the chain stay itself.
Trek should never call internet criticiscm b#@#it or whining. These bikes DID break. A LOT of them. Most bikes do not have this high rate of failure. Riding over rocks and such, I'm sorry, but that's "normal use" for a mountain bike, NOT "unusual abuse".
But they keep selling them by replacing enough of them to keep people happy while they improve the design. WE pay for their R&D. And the frustrating and tempting thing is, that until they do break, they perform amazingly well!
Another thing that's ironic is that most bike warranties, even those sold as "racing bikes", are not valid if the bike is used in competition!
Bottom line- loved it until it broke.

Purchased At:   International

Similar Products Used:   Specialized M1, Fat Chance-steel, Rocky Mountian-easton aluminum, GT LTS

Bike Setup:   bought new bike waiting for warranty frame.
Anyone want a brand new 9800? I'm selling it!
michaelemberley@aol.com

Submitted by Trey a Racer from Florida

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2000

Strengths:    Light
Stiff
Cool
Absorbs bumps
did I mention it was Light

Weaknesses:    Cost
Its a Trek (see review)

Bottom Line:
I love the bike. It is the best bike I've ever thrown a leg over. It is super fast, very responsive (almost too responsive sometimes), just an absolute joy to ride. Soaks up small bumps, climbs like a mule. Can't complain about one thing about the performance. In short, I love this bike and can't wait for the race season to start up.

I bought this bike lightly used at a good price when compaired to close to $4K new from my LBS. The only thing was that the head tube had hit a rock (prev. owner) and they had been careless about hanging it on some type of rack and scrubbed some of the decals. Anyhow, I've read a lot of the reviews and seen everybody talk about the refurbishing program trek did on these bikes for @$300. I think that is a big chunk of money, but hey, it would really make my bike look trick and with the Spring racing season coming up, I might as well. So I trot down to my local Trek dealer (I have bought many things here, including a brand new trek 8000) and ask about the service. Sure they can do it, for $599 + tax. A new frame doesn't cost but $500 more. I can find clean used frames for $100 less. When I ask trek about this, they just give me the "local dealers discretion line." I guess it probably is the local dealer's fault in that they just don't want to deal with it. What I am curious about is what others have been told in regards to this. Please e-mail me and let me know. Thanks. Its just a shame when bike companies are good, they get big. When they get big, they can't handle problems themselves and have to delegate it to the local bike shops. The LBS either rock or suck depending on the individuals involved.

Favorite Trail:   anywhere not on pavement

Purchased At:   used

Some old Giant

Bike Setup:   Pro Issue, Sid, full xtr, cane creek wheels

Submitted by Mark a Cross Country Rider from San Francisco

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2000

Strengths:    outstanding handling and climbing ability, lightning quick in technical single track

Weaknesses:    occasionally purchased by moaners and whingers

Bottom Line:
This bike is for riding, not looking at so stop moaning about stone chips. If you want it to stay in pristine condition, stick it in a display cabinet!

If you are so worried about stone chips, either stick some ski top tape on the underside of the downtube and stop your complaining, or ignore it and enjoy this bike for what it is designed for - travelling XC very rapidly and enjoyably.

After four years of totally trouble-free and reasonably aggressive riding, I have nothing but great things to say about this bike, other than the vast majority of riders are not good enough to really test it to its limits.

Submitted by Dan a Downhiller from Cambridge

Date Reviewed: November 25, 1999

Strengths:
Cheaper than my mates bike
Easier to put on the chairlift.

Weaknesses:
Not enough rear suspension travel.
Durability lacking.
Flicky and unstable on trail.
Landing from big air a major problem.

Bottom Line:
I realize now that i may have made an error when i purchased this machine. I bought it mail order and was led to believe that it was full suspension. After a couple of downhill runs i noticed that this was indeed not the case. Fitting monster T's (8inch)did help in this regard to a certain extent but resulted in handling problems due possibly to bad geometry- although the front end was super-smooth! I am considering contacting trek to see if i can modify the rear to accomodate a rear shock. Al in all it may be suitable for flat trail riding (non-technical) but foranything more advanced i suggest you look elsewhere.

Morzine World CUP DH (time:4mins)

3 months

Yeti Lawhill 6
Marin team DH
Santa cruz super 8

Stock + Marzocchi monster T's.

Submitted by rider a Weekend Warrior from Singapore

Date Reviewed: July 28, 1999

Strengths:
Light and stable geomatry

Weaknesses:
Paint chipping needs maintenance

Bottom Line:
I just install my trek 9800 with 99 rockshox XC,
you won't believe how sweet is the combination.
Climbs at your will, falling is soft and controllable. Great frame, great fork. In fact, after installing fork, the geometry improves...

Marina South

Marin team, trek 9500

Trek 9500, Rockshox Judy SL full XTR

Date Reviewed: July 24, 1999

Strengths:
This bike is one sweet ride. Mad climbing speed, the OCLV frame lessens the little bumps, handles awesome, light and maneuverable.

Weaknesses:
The cable routing on the top tube is slightly inconvenient.

Bottom Line:
I would recommend this bike to anyone who doesn't want their rear end to get thrashed, but doesn't want a full suspension bike. My bike is approx. 22lbs. If you happened to overlook how well the bike handles, how well it absorbs the little bumps, or how light it is, then you would be left with one awesome looking bike, I think the way the top tube and head tube and all the other tubes connect just looks awesome. I am also selling the bike for reasons not related to how it performs, I just need the money. If you are interested in buying it, e-mail me.

Klein Attitude Pro (also a sweet ride).

It's set up with full XT with XTR rapid rise rear derailleur, Manitou SX-R, WTB grease guard headset, Titec seat post, 545's, and PowerBeam rims.

Strengths:

Weaknesses:
The cable routing on the top tube is slightly inconvenient.

Strengths:

Weaknesses:
The cable routing on the top tube is slightly inconvenient.

Submitted by James a Cross-Country Rider from Columbus

Date Reviewed: June 29, 1999

Strengths:
Light as sin and climbs like a mountain goat.

Weaknesses:
$$$ but what the heck...
XT brake are falling apart

Bottom Line:
Best ride i've ever been on. Went from an M2 (which i loved and beat the hell out of) to the 9900 (which i love and beat the hell out of). I can't imagine a bike that climbs better or is more fun in the singletrack. No frame problems at all.

Scioto Trail S.F.

SID, SRAM 9.0, Titec Carbon seatpost

Submitted by daniele bruno a Racer from milano italy

Date Reviewed: April 24, 1999

Strengths:
the bike feels light and nimble.itflies on uphills and accelerates like a moto.on downhills is easy to keep true and on the right line.good in singletracks too.i want to tell yo something:once i was coming back home from a race and i was in a hurry and i was fling on my car the bike on top of the car and i was speedin 180 km hr. that is bout 110 mls and my bike literary flied off the car i mean at 110 mls per hr and crashed on earth continuing its run for maybe 200 meters.well i stopped and ran to the pieces which i figured the bike was out and surprisingly the bike was oerfect only a pair of scratches and a rim bent: that's oclv strenght

Weaknesses:

Bottom Line:
strong light and solid-feel

langhe hills