Trek 950 Bike 1998 or Older

4.76/5 (37 Reviews)

Trek 950

Submitted by Ask Me a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2013

Strengths:    All around solid performer, Good handling, Tough as nails, Never lets you down.
If you only own one bike, this is the one bike to own! It can last you a lifetime of riding with only basic maintenance.

Bottom Line:
I'm a big guy (6'4"_225) and I like to ride year round in all kinds of weather, and I love to ride up and down stairs in the city as well as hitting the trails on the weekends. And this bike has been a Solid Performer for the past 20 years of City Commuting, 75% of Pre-Event Training Rides, Afternoon Joy Rides, the occasional Long Weekend Tour, and even one Century. Over the life of this bike I have had other bikes as well (2-Road Bikes, 1-Hybrid, 1-Beach Cruiser, 2-Fold-Up Commuters, and 2 Other Mountain Bikes with Suspension). Some of them costing quite a bit more than my 1993 Trek 950 Single-track ridged! But no other bike has ever surpassed it. It has remained my go to bike for 85% of my rides. I have used other bikes for specific things like fast Triathlons, Tough Downhills, Sketchy Area Lock Ups, and Trunk Packable needs, but the 950 is my best all around bike by far...
I would consider trading in every other bike I've had on a newer model, but not my Trek 950!

Duration Product Used:   20 years of commuting and sightseeing tours

Submitted by stuartpeacock a Cross Country Rider from Washington, DC, USA

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2011

Strengths:    Indestructible, stiff, great climber, great commuter, super handling

Weaknesses:    no suspension

Bottom Line:
Old Faithful. Handled mud, snow, rocks, curbs, stairs, really steep descents, potholes, logs, sand and never lets me down. Climbed hills on it so steep I puked at the top. I started riding it in 1989 on Mt. Tam trails in Marin (back in the pre-suspension days) and now commute daily on it in the rough streets of DC. Rode it in DC area on fire roads and single tracks before all the trails were shut down to bikes. I'll give to one my sons in about 20 years. Like the others say, buy it if you can find one.

Favorite Trail:   Muir Woods Loop: Deer Park and Coastal Trails

Purchased At:   I can't even remembe

Similar Products Used:   never really road anything else

Bike Setup:   all original except for tires, brake shoes, grips and seat. Added a Blackburn rack on the back

Submitted by Quasi-moto a Cross Country Rider from Gorham, NH, USA

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2011

Strengths:    Rugged frame. Adapatable.

Weaknesses:    Slightly heavy than some...but who cares...

Bottom Line:
The bike is responsive and quicker. Impressed with ease of shifting and turning. For mountain country here the triple crank is a good choice especially if loaded with gear. Needed the rear center pull for mounting rack. Painted it bright cherry red (PPG bright color line.) Decals and clearcoat make it a very sharp looking rig that can take some abuse but lighter for quick response.

Purchased At:   101 Main Mike Miccuc

Bike Setup:   Converted to quasi road bike for commuting and touring. Dura Ace triple front crank, Dura ace 7800 front brake, Gran Compe 450 rear center pull rear brake, Surly Cyclocross fork, Dura ace triple front, Shimano Deore XT rear, Mavic Aero 700c rims, Moots seat post, Ritchie stem and headset threadless, Brooks Flyer special seat, Soma track pedals with steel toe clips and leather, Brooks leather tape, Dura Ace bar end shifters, Dura Ace Aero brake levers. Klein carbon road fork for commuting to switch over. Ritchie drop down handlebars.

Submitted by dka1dka1 a Weekend Warrior from Oak Park, Ca

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2010

Strengths:    Great bike. Solid.

Bottom Line:
Still riding

Purchased At:   Cycle Center - Colum

Submitted by dirtmagnet a Weekend Warrior from Philadelphia, PA USA

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2010

Strengths:    Frame strength - after 17 years it's still rock solid.

Bottom Line:
fantastic bike - a true classic. Despite having a FS bike for the trails - this one still sits in the garage for city work (long road cruises & grocery runs).

Favorite Trail:   Wissahickon

Bike Setup:   Stock except for Manatou Fork & RS seat post (springs?)

Submitted by no1gtkid a Weekend Warrior from Las Vegas NV Clark

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2010

Strengths:    Love this old girl she takes a beating and likes to be ridden hard and as fast as my legs can move the crank. Has lasted me years with only the need to change tires and seat. Keep it oiled and clean it up and they will last.

Weaknesses:    None I found. Would be nice with disk breaks yet I can live with out.

Bottom Line:
I will never give her up and I am satisfied without buying a new one any time soon. I have had this bike since 1998 and I love every bit of the bikesability and trust it to work every time. I just got her a gold star full service complete take down and rebuild.

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   Palo Alto CA

Similar Products Used:   BMX Racers, Huffy, some old german bikes and an old road racer.

Bike Setup:   Simple stock bike other then peddles and seat and a nite light not much else.

Submitted by TommyB a Weekend Warrior from New Hampshire-Virginia

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2009

Strengths:    I have never had any problems with welds or any other rpart of the bike

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
I have been riding my 950 for as long as I remember. I use to take it to the World Cup Downhills at Mount Snow, Vermont. Riders would often comment on the vintage ridged frame and give kudos on it. I have always used it for single track. Yet had no fears running it down a mountain side trail.

Favorite Trail:   Clough State Park N.H.

Purchased At:   S&W Cycles, Concord

Similar Products Used:   NONE

Bike Setup:   Single Track

Submitted by Rob a Cross Country Rider from Butler,PA USA

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2009

Strengths:    bombproof frame and components; durability; reliability

Weaknesses:    heavy; lack of front shocks

Bottom Line:
my first real mountain bike (bought in 1994). If only they still sold something of this quality instead of the disposable crap on the market today

Favorite Trail:   too many

Purchased At:   dealer in pittsburgh

Bike Setup:   as supplied by dealer

Submitted by Steve Nemiroff a Weekend Warrior from Los Angeles

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2007

Strengths:    strong frame, chromoly; great forest green color (looks black until sunlight hits it!), Deore LX group. Wonderful Shimano shifters, I don't know why Trek decided to change. An absolute bargain when I bought it new, on sale.

Weaknesses:    a little heavy compared to newer bikes, but can't beat up that steel frame!

Bottom Line:
They'll bury me with this thing. If you can find one on eBay, grab it! Took it in to have it cleaned and lubricated, the shop guys were amazed what great shape it was in. Decided to splurge for a new Serfas saddle. It'll last for ANOTHER fifteen years.

Favorite Trail:   Santa Monica Mountains

Purchased At:   new 1992, local bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher, Trek 920

Bike Setup:   complete Deore LX, no shocks. added bar ends, Panaracer Dart/Smoke tires, pedal straps, and a rear rack... makes one hell of a commuter bike, also fun on trails.

Submitted by bernie a Racer from pensacola fla usa

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2007

Strengths:    this bike almost scares me so fast so smooth had to tune it up myself tires sing very little effort to be cruising best bike ive had since my days with a 15 speed raliegh

Weaknesses:    front end hard to get tight

Bottom Line:
im riding it until .......

Favorite Trail:   no trails here hyway bike paths

Similar Products Used:   raliegh 15 speed

Bike Setup:   still adjusting all gears origional parts

Submitted by Bo a Weekend Warrior from Vienna, Austria

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2007

Strengths:    sturdy bike - unbreakable, fast and reliable

Weaknesses:    no shocks - so what?

Bottom Line:
I have been riding this bike through high school, university (including courier service) and commuting - a total of over 30.000km. The frame is indesctructible and the bike is quick as lightning. It has seen it's share of curbs, stairs and rocks and is still a pleasure to ride. Always planned on buying a nifty high tech bike when this sturdy f*** breaks down - but no chance so far. I guess it will be buried next to me.. Should you get a hold of one: Buy it and keep it!!

Favorite Trail:   somewhere in the Austrian alps

Purchased At:   Powerslide, Germany

Similar Products Used:   a couple of treks and cannondales before I bought the Trek 950 - none after (except for the occasionally borrowed ones)

Bike Setup:   original Deore LX/XT combo - no material changes except for the occasional wear and tear (pedals, wires, brake pads, tires and bevels)

Submitted by Fredi a Weekend Warrior from Arlington, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2007

Strengths:    Good solid frame, good parts.

Weaknesses:    None for the price range.

Bottom Line:
It was a pretty basic bike when I bought it but it was the best that I could afford. Over time I built it up to be a very good bike. The addition of V-brakes, a suspension fork were the biggest.

I think it's a great entry level MTB and even a bit more. I always said that I wouldn't get a new frame till I broke this one but it never broke. I road that bike hard and it kept on going. I even started racing on it.

It's now just used for groceries and other errands.

Purchased At:   The Bicycle Exchange

Similar Products Used:   Fetish Discipline

Bike Setup:   LX crank, Ritchie SPD pedals, XT 8 speed shifters, XT V-brakes, XT dérailleurs (front and rear), Sun Rhino lite rims XTR hubs, Manitou Black Comp 100-120, Race Face Evolve stem, Cane Creek S-2 headset.

Submitted by Joe Blough a Weekend Warrior from Gifu, Japan

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2006

Strengths:    Fast; frame strength; top-notch parts

Weaknesses:    Fading paint job (it's ten years old, though); pedal broke within first month; otherwise, nothing

Bottom Line:
Strong and fast and versatile. My guess is I've put about 15,000 miles on the bike, mostly on-road. So I haven't exactly been riding the crap out of it, and maybe that is why I haven't had to replace much. Took a new $1200 Jamis (I think the same model costs about $800 in the States) for a ride the other day and thought my 10-year old Trek was the better, faster bike.
This bike still ranks as the best major purchase of my life. If you can get hold of one, buy it.

Purchased At:   Be-Hop Gifu

Similar Products Used:   Jamis

Bike Setup:   New pedals purchased in year one; no material changes to the bike (besides tires, cables, brake pads etc.)

Submitted by ben a Weekend Warrior from west hartford, ct

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2003

Strengths:    derailers (XT rear, LX front), shifters

Weaknesses:    BRAKES don't work well when wet

Bottom Line:
Buy used and cheap (an old 950!) to get in to mtbiking - then you can buy newer when you EARN it. For me, a steal at $75, probably the fewest mech. problems among friends who ride similar (2x/week). Climbs well, okay downhill. Unfortunately envying full susp - though having so much fun, WHY? Maybe just upgrade front shock, though that 1" headset is a pain.

Purchased At:   used

Bike Setup:   Shimano 515 pedals, Roxshox on front w/ 1" (??) travel

Submitted by Idan Braslavi from Tel Aviv, Israel

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2003

Strengths:    Steel! Graceful in appearance and handling. No nonsense all arounder. Work horse.

Weaknesses:    None. Only thing I can think of is that the frame's finish isn't detailed (like I said-No nonsense).

Bottom Line:
In the end of the day quality steel is the only way to go. and this triple butted frame will handle any job with class, and no complaints. the rigid fork will out weigh and out steer any suspension. I have these babies for almost four years now, and rode them on light touring, commuting, on and off road, for well over 25,000 km. so they've taken more then their share of beating. I like them even better then the day I bought them. they look great, and ride like a dream. buy the 950 if you are a "real" bicycle rider. don't buy them if you are a rich bicycle connoisseur, or Lance Armstrong. This one's a keeper.

Favorite Trail:   Tel Aviv - Yahud

Purchased At:   Ronny Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   KHS comp, Trek 920 and numerous others.

Bike Setup:   Original group-full Shimano LX. Aded-Sella Italia Flite. Wellgo clipless. Richey slakes. Traz x bar ends.

Element 950 O rings on chainstay

Mine finally snapped. What seize do I replace them with? Tx.Read More »

Help w/Trek 950 1995 want to add front shock

I have a Trek 950, 1995. I love my bike & don't want to buy a new bike at this time. I ride some local greenway trails which are partly paved in places. I would like to add a front shock. I don't want to invest a lot of money but I would like a decent fork. Been looking at Rock Shox Recon Silver or ... Read More »

hubs of my element 950 model 2012?

hello to all can you tell me who is the producer of the hubs of the standard wheels of my element 950 model 2012? I need to know if there are adapters for these hubs to the athers standard Front QR 9mm - Front 15mm and Rear QR 9mm. Actually is Front 20mm and rear X12 142mm. thanksRead More »

RM Vertex 950 RSL vs Cannondale F29 Carbon 3

Dear fellow mtbikers, I recently[URL="http://forums.mtbr.com/general-discussion/frame-crack-just-paint-crack-863153.html"] broke the frame of my RM Vertex Team SC[/URL] (26, model 2002) and now I am looking for a solid replacement. I am willing to consider all possible options in terms of wheel siz ... Read More »

Scale 950 - just got one!

Hey folks! Just bought a Scale 950 2013 on ebay, seems like a great bike at an awesome price. I'm stoked- Coming from a 20 yr old Schwinn, I think I'll be happy. So anyone else have one of these? There are so many variants of the Scale, I've learned that so far. Any thoughts for this proud new owne ... Read More »