Trek 930 1998 Bike 1998 or Older

4.55/5 (38 Reviews)

930 1998

Submitted by sharma a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2013

Strengths:    Bombproof frame, unbreakable components,Light weight,Handling, Shock absorption (for a rigid bike)

Weaknesses:    Nothing that i know of

Bottom Line:
Found it sitting in my landlords basement missing a rear wheel. I looked up and it turned out to be the '96 model with the distinctive green to purple fade paintjob, Yay!. Got it for free in almost new condition :) put a rear wheel, cleaned and lubed everything. I have put in around 1500 miles during my 2 years of college with no problems, not even a squeak! Recently upgraded to rapidfire thumb shifters with 8 speeds and some road tires and it can stay with almost any bike on the road. Soon I will be upgrading to some trick carbon parts and some nice wheels. Gonna keep it forever!

Submitted by SHANE ALICEA

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2013

Strengths:    I have a 1990's 930 singletrack with some mods. Its a great bike.

Weaknesses:    no issues,

Bottom Line:
If I could find a other one, I would buy it

keep'em treking

Submitted by Ozkar

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2012

Strengths:    Rock solid frame and superb ride.

Weaknesses:    None that come to mind.

Bottom Line:
Superb bike that won't let it's rider down.

Submitted by Tina a Cross Country Rider from Grass Valley CA

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2011

Strengths:    As long as I have had my Trex 930, I've had no problems with it. I probably put on about 400 miles a yrs, if not more. I make sure to get an annual tune-up done to keep the bike in good riding condition. Seems to be working, because I love it.

Bottom Line:
awsome bike! wouldn't trade it for the world.

Purchased At:   Auburn CA

Submitted by marky a Weekend Warrior from camden,sc,usa

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2011

Strengths:    good dependable frame. this one came with rock shox, i don't know if that was added. Good gears and pretty light. Great for weekend mb trails or hardcore as well.

Weaknesses:    no travel whatsoever.

Bottom Line:
Bottom line is I love this bike. There is a lot of chatter though when riding trails. I would not recommend using it for the road because it has no travel, so you wouldn't want to ride it on the road for a long distance. Great mb, very durable and handles jumps very well.

Favorite Trail:   Lost creek

Purchased At:   traded a pistol, com

Similar Products Used:   Giant-yukon

Bike Setup:   Rock shox, shimano gears and wheels, specialized $150 saddle. Good rugged tires. Handle bar ext.

Submitted by hchez a Weekend Warrior from San Diego, CA

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2010

Strengths:    Light Frame for being steel, Does well up steep hill for being ten years old, Brake system especially on the come down. Keeps up with road bikes that are not pro riders

Weaknesses:    replaced saddle, Only thing is that the components are aged and sometimes they hesitate up steep hill gear changing. other than than Bike is sweet.

Bottom Line:
bottom line is thumbs up Trex on this bike...

Favorite Trail:   City Streets

Purchased At:   Thrift store

Bike Setup:   all stock except, road tires and new saddle

Submitted by sohosources a Weekend Warrior from Rochester, MN, USA

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2010

Strengths:    Can't beat $30 for a mint 930 Single Track w/new lightweight tires! Looks like it's hardly ever been ridden. I will overhaul it anyway -- cuz I'm anal that way -- but I'm betting that with some new high-pressure hybrid tires (next year, after I wear out the already new 65-PSI lightweight off-road tires -- it's make a sweet all-purpose trail rider / commuter. And I thought my $35 Trek 830 Antelope was a good deal... I'm riding these as I tear down a minty-fresh, hand-made Dawes Galaxy (British, circa 1970) that I found at a yard sale for $5. (Not a typo). If I could only find similarly priced used cars!

Weaknesses:    Have to true the front wheel...

Bottom Line:
Pretty much the deal of the century...

Favorite Trail:   n/a

Purchased At:   Salvation Army

Similar Products Used:   Trek 830, Fuji Boulevard XC, etc.

Bike Setup:   Stock, save for the new lightweight rubber.

Submitted by natvgal a Weekend Warrior from Fort Collins, CO

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2009

Strengths:    Solid ride, great downhill with little effort. Used it in an off road triathlon and flew downhill, good control uphill and on rocks.

Weaknesses:    Replaced grips and found a more comfortable seat.

Bottom Line:
Love this bike! Handles very well. Am an average size woman riding a men's frame. I like the basic style and have had no problems shifting.

Favorite Trail:   Single track dirt

Purchased At:   B&L Bike &Sport, Kon

Similar Products Used:   First MTB purchase; used a Giant prior to that.

Bike Setup:   Stock. Just replaced cassette, brakes, and cables and had derailer adjusted (11 years); replaced seat and grips.

Submitted by Dr. Cycle a Downhiller from Washington

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2009

Strengths:    Really, really light for a steel frame.

Bottom Line:
Awesome MTB, no glitz and glamour just a hard core mountain bike. Ultralight steel frame makes it easy to carry and travel with. Great trail bike, but if tires switched to slicks, makes an awesome road bike.

Favorite Trail:   All of 'em

Purchased At:   Unknown

Bike Setup:   Shimano GTX Crank, Rock Shox Fork, System Components Handlebar, System Components Bar Ends, Grip Shifts, Matrix Tires, Shimano Avilio hubs, Kool Stop Brake Pads, Vetta Saddle

Submitted by Henry a Weekend Warrior from Atlanta, GA

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2009

Strengths:    Very supple feel, light (for steel frame), Dependable. Good for trail and road riding. Equipped with a straight front fork, but still provides a smooth ride.

Weaknesses:    None that I can think of, offhand. Doesn't have a lot of "snob appeal," but so what...

Bottom Line:
I have had this bike for over 11 years and I have ridden it everywhere (it is actually a 1996 model that apparently stayed in store stock for 2 years!) Many great rides and memories associated with this bike. Mine is fitted with slick road tires. While probably not as "road fast" as a road bike, it is still a superb rider on the road and I have no complaint!

Hope I can do the BRAG (Bicycle Ride Across Georgia) with this bike in a year or so. It has made numerous runs on metro Atlanta's "Silver Comet Trail." I wouldn't willingly part with it and I look forward to many more rides on it

Favorite Trail:   Urban Streets

Purchased At:   Tara Schwinn, Jonesb

Similar Products Used:   Only bike

Bike Setup:   Stock components

Submitted by sadolsamurai a Cross Country Rider from Northumberland UK

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2008

Strengths:    I won this in a bet back in 2002, sadly 'gave it to my partner' but when I bust my frame/front wheel borrowed the trek. Despite siezed front forks its a great hardtail, climbs well, enables me to stay in front of the hounds (downhill) and is great on singletraxs. I hope to upgrade front forks and get a hydraulic disk, they don't wear so much in the mud I am told..and then I'll buy her a better ally womens specific frame. Would only swop it for a nice on-one titanium..

Weaknesses:    Forks siezed, but probabley due to neglect.
The Shimano cantelevers are ok when new, but shoe wear is a serious problem, and may be grinding the rims too thin too!

Bottom Line:
I am looking on e-bay for another!

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere local to me and my hounds

Purchased At:   Won in a bet

Similar Products Used:   Daughters trex 4000 series, the disks were a real revelation!

Bike Setup:   Shimano alvius, still working fine with a new chain and sprockets,

Submitted by The Big Al a Weekend Warrior from Oregon

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2008

Strengths:    Fantastic Frame and good geometry (for me at least). The frame has taken many a knock and no issues. Good components. The components are now 10 years old and still function fine. Bike has been well used.

Weaknesses:    Original grip shifts had to go. I had the bike shop switch to Shimano rapid fires with LX rear and Alvivo front when I bought the bike.

Bottom Line:
Just finished recableing and cleaning. The shifters had gotten so gummy they wouldn't shift and the brakes are needing to be replaced. The rear derailer works fine although it could stand to be replaced. The front derailer should also probably be upgraded, but is probably fine. The crankset and the cassette are very well worn as well as the chain. They are the original after all and it's been 10 years. It's time to replace them. So the whole driveline needs to be replaced and to do so would cost about $600 with the new parts I want and wheelset I want. (Shimano SLX).

I think it is worth it however as you can't get a bike with even Deore parts for less than $600. Everything else on the bike is in good shape. Good bike and I plan on keeping it a long time....

Favorite Trail:   Ashland

Purchased At:   Local Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   None - this was my first "real" mountain bike

Bike Setup:   Currently set up with original components. RockShox Indy C, Mavic Rims (still able to true them up), LX rear derail and XT front derail (the only upgrade so far). The seat is original (but needs to be changed). Brakes are original V-brake, but not sure of the brand. Sugino crank.

Submitted by bill bean a Weekend Warrior from Randolph Co., N.C.

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2008

Strengths:    Had Bike since March,95 and only one failure the RockShox Q21 fork(due to age). Excellent frame. May upgrade some components in the future.

Weaknesses:    For my type of riding--none

Bottom Line:
Great Bike.

Favorite Trail:   non e

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   Trek 830

Bike Setup:   Standard as purchased except for saddle. Shimano stx Alivio shifters, brakes, crank,Dia Compe 7 brake levers, rims are Matrix and tires are Tioge 1.9. New fork to be added in a couple of weeks.

Submitted by Mark Simmons a Weekend Warrior from Allentown, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2008

Strengths:    Solid Frame, Decent Suspension, Shows Wear and Tear MINIMALLY after many, many years.

Weaknesses:    Rock Shock hard to maintain, but doesn't hamper the performance all that much. Those who are fans of hybrid bikes may be disappointed by the smaller wheel.

Bottom Line:
I've had this bike since I was 15 - I'm 29 now and still riding it. Try finding ANYTHING you've had for almost half your life that you still perpetually use. The frame is ROCK SOLID, and shows absolutely NO signs of rust or breakdown. I keep going into my local bike store only to get new parts for it to upgrade it over time, but I can't bring myself to buy a new one - it's TOO good a bike.

The frame has since been deprecated by aluminum, as this one's Chro-Moly and no longer in fabrication. It can't accommodate disc brakes or other newer amenities, though it could fit a rack on the back with panniers (which I also use.)

This review may come off somewhat fan boy I understand, but if you owned it you'd see why.

Purchased At:   Bike Line Allentown

Similar Products Used:   None - I ride this and only this one.

Bike Setup:   Original Shimano components such as Grip Shifts, Brakes. New crank and clip-in pedals.

Submitted by Derik Graves a Weekend Warrior from Uvalde, TX

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2007

Strengths:    I bought this bike about 7 years ago as my second bike and never got rid of it. I still ride it today. The frame is bulletproof. Don't get me wrong the frame comes with a marginal array of components, but for the price you can upgrade easily.

Weaknesses:    Not quite as stylish as any of the new bikes out there and steel is out...although it shouldn't be.

Bottom Line:
Great bike for an entry level rider and with some upgrading along the way you can have an excellent bike for the money. I bought most of my parts used and probably have only 850-900 invested in the bike which will provide me many years of reliable riding to come.

Favorite Trail:   Northshore Trails, Lake Grapevine

Purchased At:   friend

Similar Products Used:   Old busted up Giant, a few Cannondales and a Litespeed.

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi 2000 flylight z4, XT brakes, levers, shifters, XT rear d, LX front d, coda bb, crank and whellsets, Kore Lite handlebars and riser, Kore pedals, Cane Creek headset, Michelin WildGripper Lite tires....(I know the set up is worth 10 times the frame!)

1998 Trek 930 Geometry

I am trying to locate geometry information on my "new" trek 930 frame. I just bought this frame and built it up. Can't find any info for the geometry online anywere including the vintage trek site. I emailed trek a couple times and they have never responded. [IMG]http://xs132.xs.to/xs132/08422 ... Read More »