Trek 930 1998 Bike 1998 or Older

4.55/5 (40 Reviews)

930 1998

Submitted by Charley from W Mass a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2016

Strengths:    CR-MO frame, nice flex, solid
Relatively easy to upgrade frame with higher-end components

Weaknesses:    NOS components are becoming harder to find, particularly higher-end rim brake rims

Bottom Line:
I bought my 94 Trek 930 new in 1995, and have logged thousands of road miles on it; I truly wouldn't trade it for a new Trek! Over the years I have upgraded the components.

My 930's XT 44x34x24 crank will allow me to stay with most road bikes that aren't hell-bent-for-leather, and the lower gears have never disappointed me, even with fairly hefty cargo on hills. My 930 is very nimble, and is quite comfortable on longer rides. The steel frame may be a tad heavy to some, but I find that it accelerates swiftly, has a nice flex to it over rough spots, yet it is very stable on fast descents. I can't really speak to my bike's performance on serious trail riding, as most of my riding is on pavement/dirt roads/and trails that don't cause the surgeon who did my knee replacements sleepless nights. I log a good many miles on ice and snow in our Massachusetts winters, and my trusty 930 has always kept me out of trouble-heck, over the years it's been ridden through at least 6 bonafide blizzards!

My 930's green to purple fade paint has held up very well with a weekly buffing with Pedro's Bike Lust, and it does receive a good number of compliments, usually from older riders like myself who appreciate the quality of a well-made vintage Trek. Apart from the fact that replacement parts for this year Trek are becoming harder to find, I would enthusiastically recommend this bike as a hidden gem you might run across in someone's yard sale. Don't think you'll be disappointed!

Younger riders might be put off with a 3x8 gearing, rim brakes instead of disc, CR-MO frame, and such, but I'm tellin' ya this bike is a lot of bang for the money!

Duration Product Used:   21 yrs.

Purchased At:   Laughing Dog Cyclery

Bike Setup:   Selle Italia TransAm saddle, Thompson Elite post, Richey stem, Cane Creek headset, RockShox Judy TT front shock, Sram Attack 8sp grip shifts, XT brake levers, XT V brakes, XT front derailleur, XT rear derailler, XT crank; XTR pedals.
I ride daily, year-round, and use the following wheelset combinations: Summer: Conti Town and Country 2.1 tires (65# press.) mounted on Mavic 517 ceramic rims on XTR axles. Spring/Fall: Kenda Dart 2.1 tires mounted on Mavic 517 rims with XT axles. Winter: Nokia studded 2.1 tires on Mavic 217 rims with LX axles.

Submitted by Drew a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2014

Strengths:    light, smooth, sturdy, longevity

Bottom Line:
Got this bike used for $60. Awesome ride. Can't believe how great it rides given it is 17 years old. Only thing I changed is the handlebar to Race Face lowriser for comfort. Mainly use for commuting but reckon it will fare fine on trails in UK. Used higher spec bikes like Santa Cruz and Turner for big California rides of course. Cannot speak enough about how much fun this bike is. I just now leave my G Fisher Big Sur sitting in the garage. If you can find one of these used, grab it. Huge fan of vintage 90s bikes!!!

Favorite Trail:   Norht Downs

Purchased At:   Gumtree

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz Heckler, Turner 5 spot, GF Big Sur, GF Marlin,

Bike Setup:   Shimano STX mainly

Submitted by sharma a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2013

Strengths:    Bombproof frame, unbreakable components,Light weight,Handling, Shock absorption (for a rigid bike)

Weaknesses:    Nothing that i know of

Bottom Line:
Found it sitting in my landlords basement missing a rear wheel. I looked up and it turned out to be the '96 model with the distinctive green to purple fade paintjob, Yay!. Got it for free in almost new condition :) put a rear wheel, cleaned and lubed everything. I have put in around 1500 miles during my 2 years of college with no problems, not even a squeak! Recently upgraded to rapidfire thumb shifters with 8 speeds and some road tires and it can stay with almost any bike on the road. Soon I will be upgrading to some trick carbon parts and some nice wheels. Gonna keep it forever!

Submitted by SHANE ALICEA

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2013

Strengths:    I have a 1990's 930 singletrack with some mods. Its a great bike.

Weaknesses:    no issues,

Bottom Line:
If I could find a other one, I would buy it

keep'em treking

Submitted by Ozkar

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2012

Strengths:    Rock solid frame and superb ride.

Weaknesses:    None that come to mind.

Bottom Line:
Superb bike that won't let it's rider down.

Submitted by Tina a Cross Country Rider from Grass Valley CA

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2011

Strengths:    As long as I have had my Trex 930, I've had no problems with it. I probably put on about 400 miles a yrs, if not more. I make sure to get an annual tune-up done to keep the bike in good riding condition. Seems to be working, because I love it.

Bottom Line:
awsome bike! wouldn't trade it for the world.

Purchased At:   Auburn CA

Submitted by marky a Weekend Warrior from camden,sc,usa

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2011

Strengths:    good dependable frame. this one came with rock shox, i don't know if that was added. Good gears and pretty light. Great for weekend mb trails or hardcore as well.

Weaknesses:    no travel whatsoever.

Bottom Line:
Bottom line is I love this bike. There is a lot of chatter though when riding trails. I would not recommend using it for the road because it has no travel, so you wouldn't want to ride it on the road for a long distance. Great mb, very durable and handles jumps very well.

Favorite Trail:   Lost creek

Purchased At:   traded a pistol, com

Similar Products Used:   Giant-yukon

Bike Setup:   Rock shox, shimano gears and wheels, specialized $150 saddle. Good rugged tires. Handle bar ext.

Submitted by hchez a Weekend Warrior from San Diego, CA

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2010

Strengths:    Light Frame for being steel, Does well up steep hill for being ten years old, Brake system especially on the come down. Keeps up with road bikes that are not pro riders

Weaknesses:    replaced saddle, Only thing is that the components are aged and sometimes they hesitate up steep hill gear changing. other than than Bike is sweet.

Bottom Line:
bottom line is thumbs up Trex on this bike...

Favorite Trail:   City Streets

Purchased At:   Thrift store

Bike Setup:   all stock except, road tires and new saddle

Submitted by sohosources a Weekend Warrior from Rochester, MN, USA

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2010

Strengths:    Can't beat $30 for a mint 930 Single Track w/new lightweight tires! Looks like it's hardly ever been ridden. I will overhaul it anyway -- cuz I'm anal that way -- but I'm betting that with some new high-pressure hybrid tires (next year, after I wear out the already new 65-PSI lightweight off-road tires -- it's make a sweet all-purpose trail rider / commuter. And I thought my $35 Trek 830 Antelope was a good deal... I'm riding these as I tear down a minty-fresh, hand-made Dawes Galaxy (British, circa 1970) that I found at a yard sale for $5. (Not a typo). If I could only find similarly priced used cars!

Weaknesses:    Have to true the front wheel...

Bottom Line:
Pretty much the deal of the century...

Favorite Trail:   n/a

Purchased At:   Salvation Army

Similar Products Used:   Trek 830, Fuji Boulevard XC, etc.

Bike Setup:   Stock, save for the new lightweight rubber.

Submitted by natvgal a Weekend Warrior from Fort Collins, CO

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2009

Strengths:    Solid ride, great downhill with little effort. Used it in an off road triathlon and flew downhill, good control uphill and on rocks.

Weaknesses:    Replaced grips and found a more comfortable seat.

Bottom Line:
Love this bike! Handles very well. Am an average size woman riding a men's frame. I like the basic style and have had no problems shifting.

Favorite Trail:   Single track dirt

Purchased At:   B&L Bike &Sport, Kon

Similar Products Used:   First MTB purchase; used a Giant prior to that.

Bike Setup:   Stock. Just replaced cassette, brakes, and cables and had derailer adjusted (11 years); replaced seat and grips.

Submitted by Dr. Cycle a Downhiller from Washington

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2009

Strengths:    Really, really light for a steel frame.

Bottom Line:
Awesome MTB, no glitz and glamour just a hard core mountain bike. Ultralight steel frame makes it easy to carry and travel with. Great trail bike, but if tires switched to slicks, makes an awesome road bike.

Favorite Trail:   All of 'em

Purchased At:   Unknown

Bike Setup:   Shimano GTX Crank, Rock Shox Fork, System Components Handlebar, System Components Bar Ends, Grip Shifts, Matrix Tires, Shimano Avilio hubs, Kool Stop Brake Pads, Vetta Saddle

Submitted by Henry a Weekend Warrior from Atlanta, GA

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2009

Strengths:    Very supple feel, light (for steel frame), Dependable. Good for trail and road riding. Equipped with a straight front fork, but still provides a smooth ride.

Weaknesses:    None that I can think of, offhand. Doesn't have a lot of "snob appeal," but so what...

Bottom Line:
I have had this bike for over 11 years and I have ridden it everywhere (it is actually a 1996 model that apparently stayed in store stock for 2 years!) Many great rides and memories associated with this bike. Mine is fitted with slick road tires. While probably not as "road fast" as a road bike, it is still a superb rider on the road and I have no complaint!

Hope I can do the BRAG (Bicycle Ride Across Georgia) with this bike in a year or so. It has made numerous runs on metro Atlanta's "Silver Comet Trail." I wouldn't willingly part with it and I look forward to many more rides on it

Favorite Trail:   Urban Streets

Purchased At:   Tara Schwinn, Jonesb

Similar Products Used:   Only bike

Bike Setup:   Stock components

Submitted by sadolsamurai a Cross Country Rider from Northumberland UK

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2008

Strengths:    I won this in a bet back in 2002, sadly 'gave it to my partner' but when I bust my frame/front wheel borrowed the trek. Despite siezed front forks its a great hardtail, climbs well, enables me to stay in front of the hounds (downhill) and is great on singletraxs. I hope to upgrade front forks and get a hydraulic disk, they don't wear so much in the mud I am told..and then I'll buy her a better ally womens specific frame. Would only swop it for a nice on-one titanium..

Weaknesses:    Forks siezed, but probabley due to neglect.
The Shimano cantelevers are ok when new, but shoe wear is a serious problem, and may be grinding the rims too thin too!

Bottom Line:
I am looking on e-bay for another!

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere local to me and my hounds

Purchased At:   Won in a bet

Similar Products Used:   Daughters trex 4000 series, the disks were a real revelation!

Bike Setup:   Shimano alvius, still working fine with a new chain and sprockets,

Submitted by The Big Al a Weekend Warrior from Oregon

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2008

Strengths:    Fantastic Frame and good geometry (for me at least). The frame has taken many a knock and no issues. Good components. The components are now 10 years old and still function fine. Bike has been well used.

Weaknesses:    Original grip shifts had to go. I had the bike shop switch to Shimano rapid fires with LX rear and Alvivo front when I bought the bike.

Bottom Line:
Just finished recableing and cleaning. The shifters had gotten so gummy they wouldn't shift and the brakes are needing to be replaced. The rear derailer works fine although it could stand to be replaced. The front derailer should also probably be upgraded, but is probably fine. The crankset and the cassette are very well worn as well as the chain. They are the original after all and it's been 10 years. It's time to replace them. So the whole driveline needs to be replaced and to do so would cost about $600 with the new parts I want and wheelset I want. (Shimano SLX).

I think it is worth it however as you can't get a bike with even Deore parts for less than $600. Everything else on the bike is in good shape. Good bike and I plan on keeping it a long time....

Favorite Trail:   Ashland