Trek '93 Trek 7000 Bike 1998 or Older

4.14/5 (7 Reviews)

Trek '93 Trek 7000

Submitted by ryan8816 a Weekend Warrior from singapore

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2008

Strengths:    This is a hybrid bike, so the frame is very light. My father bought this when i was born, about 15 years ago. The bike is still working fine though, except for the purple bling tyres that came with. Pretty tyres they were. Goes with the paintjob. All's well except that its fully rigid, considering getting a new fork though.

Weaknesses:    Fully rigid

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the great value (considering its lasted 15 years of madman abuse.) Simply too good to be true.

Purchased At:   Treknology Bikes

Similar Products Used:   none as good as this!

Bike Setup:   Shimano STX

Submitted by Shane from Los Angeles, CA USA

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2007

Strengths:    Great frame. I bought this new in 1993 with the assurance that it was a full-on race frame with bargain components that could be upgraded as needed. Turns out I never raced it, but the components (STX) were pretty good except for the cranks. There was some weird chainsuck issue and Trek replaced the cranks with XT Deore components; problem solved. This bike is light, it's been extremely durable through the dozen or so spills I've had on it. I use this as a commuter and it's been great.

Weaknesses:    It's aluminum, it's light, and it transmit road bumps straight up your spine. I feel beat up at times after a ride to and from work.

Bottom Line:
Great bike. Don't know if I'll ever buy another new bike again, but I've been extremely happy with this. I'm looking at picking up a road bike to make the commute a bit faster, but that's on down the line.

Favorite Trail:   the streets

Purchased At:   Bike World, Collierville, TN

Similar Products Used:   This is my first and only bike since 1993.

Bike Setup:   Mostly stock with the exception of the XT cranks.

Submitted by poo from poo

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2003

Strengths:    poo

Weaknesses:    poo

Bottom Line:
poo

Similar Products Used:   poo

Bike Setup:   poo

Submitted by Dave a Cross Country Rider from San Antonio, Texas

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2002

Strengths:    The frame has lasted almost 10 years! Also, the "Silver Bullet" paint job hides all the scratches that have made it past the paint. The factory Matrix wheels made it a long way before they gave out, so they were ok.

Weaknesses:    The rear dropout is not replaceable..they fixed that problem the next year. The STX shifters broke on my kneecaps(thankfully not vice-versa)in the first year of use, and the rest of the STX group went out with wear. The factory pedals had plastic webs, which I imagine a heavier rider would have broken long before I did. SPDs are a welcome improvement. The factory Mogul fork is heavy but solid, and easy to rebuild and tune. It is an air-oil setup which I am told was built by Showa...could be a myth. Stiction is a pain with this fork, and you have to run the air pressure up high(stiff) or even the lightest rider can bottom the shock out. Bottom-out on steep down grades leads to easy endos due to the lowered front end- took me a while to figure that one out.

Bottom Line:
If you find one of these bikes at a pawn shop... or down some dark alley.. if the price is right and the frame fits, it is a builder's bike, one that takes new components as well as old. I haven't checked to see how well an 8 or 9 speed rear hub fits, though. You have to appreciate the fact that everything on the thing, save maybe the wheels and the truck-like front fork, will be junk. Excellent frame, that bike...

Favorite Trail:   ...doesn't exist anymore...bummer

Purchased At:   Bike World of San Antonio, TX

Similar Products Used:   '90 Trek 820 Antelope(first "real" bike), '94 Trek 9200 full suspension(latest real bike...still rebuilding)

Bike Setup:   It is set up to be the most durable XC bike around- not everything can qualify an the lightest stuff on the scale. A little retro, too.

Submitted by Jody a Weekend Warrior from Asheville, NC

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2001

Strengths:    Light weight, inexpensive for the weight, good fit for me

Weaknesses:    I like it enough where I still ride after 7-8 years and I'm getting tired of looking at it.

Bottom Line:
For the money, it is a very good bike that is light and fits me fine.

Favorite Trail:   Somewhere in Pisgah

Purchased At:   Charlotte, NC

Similar Products Used:   First and only mtn. bike I've owned.

Bike Setup:   Believe it or not I bought a friends Specialized Future Shock a few years ago and still ride it. STX and upgrading.

Submitted by Jake Pryor a Weekend Warrior from Athens, TN, USA

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2001

Strengths:    The lightweight aluminum frame is a real plus for those super technical trails and areas where you have to hike carrying your bike. The components have far outlasted what I would have expected.

Weaknesses:    A bike in this pricerange should have been equipped with a front suspension fork

Bottom Line:
Great Bike, I plan to keep riding it for a good while.. look to replace some components before long, but still no problems with it. A great bike for any rider in my opinion.
The first trail out I had a minor mishap on some wet leaves covering a patch of slate rock.. warping the front wheel terribly.. a quick trip to the bike shop where I purchased it and the guy straightened it out in no time.. still going on that rim

Favorite Trail:   lake Mckamey/Benton Falls.. Ocoee, TN