Trek 920 Bike 1998 or Older

4.69/5 (13 Reviews)

Trek 920

Submitted by Gramps_Nl a Weekend Warrior from Netherlands

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2011

Strengths:    Old bike, still all original and working fine

Weaknesses:    ?

Bottom Line:
Nice bike, bought it for € 30,00.
Had a few hours work to get it all working good again.
I think it stood still for about 10 years.
Just had to put some air in the tires, and I could mount it :)

Favorite Trail:   Ronde Hoep

Purchased At:   Privat

Similar Products Used:   nope

Bike Setup:   Original (as far as I can see)

Submitted by Pim a Weekend Warrior from Netherlands

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2011

Strengths:    Frame! Light, durable. Some fine system1 and system2 TREK components. For those days. I just like it the way it is. It is a fine bike for the weekend as well as for commuting to work. I've used it for MTB touring, up- and down-hill. It still works.

Weaknesses:    Brakes. Good thing you can replace them with V-brakes. Alivio crankset. Heavy. Wears out fast. The damn anti chain suck plate. Remove that one immediately or it will damage the chain and/or frame. Those funny reflectors in the wheels, back and front :-)

Bottom Line:
Best bike I have owned. If maintained well it goes on forever. You can attach fenders and other stuff easily.

Favorite Trail:   Veluwe

Purchased At:   1994,2011

Similar Products Used:   None. In fact I've bought a second one in 2011 which is original and great condition. I did enjoy other bikes but never bought them. No need for suspension. And another Trek : the 930 version. Dated 1996 based on the serial number in the frame. Alas, this frame is not that good looking nor responsive. The 930 had a better drivetrain but the other components are less compared to the older 920. So that one will go soon.

Bike Setup:   The forest green one: original except for crank, chain and cassette and V-brakes.. Yep, 17 years and still going. The 'new' puple one is original all the way. But not for long. Will replace brakes by Deore XT V-brake, Deore XT Hollow crankset. Maybe some other things as wll. I'll keep the stock items....one day it will be a classic.

Submitted by EXTREMEPARCHE a Racer from Backi Monoštor,Serbia

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2010

Strengths:    strong TRUE TEMPER OX COMP frame,size S

Weaknesses:    frame too small for rear V brake

Bottom Line:
fast and lovely ride,dreaming about new 920...

Favorite Trail:   streets,singletrack

Purchased At:   second hand

Similar Products Used:   SUNN URGE 999

Bike Setup:   fork SPINNER 740g,RIGIDA rims,SHIMANO XTR M900 rear,LX front hub,ALIVIO crank,AVID brakes and levers,X-RAY shifters,rear mech XT,TRUVATIV low raiser,RICTHEY stem seatpost,SPECIALIZED NIMBUS 1.4

Submitted by Sruli Berger a Cross Country Rider from Providence, RI, USA

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2006

Strengths:    It's incredibly lightweight and durable as well as adaptive and multi-purpose. Quick and easy size adjustment also goes a long way.

Weaknesses:    It's a maintain bike and needs some serious road tires to get around town at a decent speed and level of ease. It is difficult to properly install the rear mudguard, etc, due to the non-standard threaded hole location - I found the front one easier to install, though.

Bottom Line:
I haven't yet figured out what's been updated and what hasn't on my particular bike.
I have an excellent, cushy seat, and it looks like the wheelset has been replaced. I have noticed that it operates best when kept in a single gear, surprise surprise.
It's lightweight enough that is can easily be thrown onto a bus bike rack in a hurry, carried up a flight of stairs after a long ride, or hung without fear. It's also not so lightweight that one would be afraid of banging it up.
I've read that it makesa great touring bike, and so far I would have to agree. The handlebars and seat adjust quickly and easily to suit a variety of body types and sizes.
In essence, if you're a little guy (like me) or gal looking for a sturdy bike that you can carry up the stairs with one hand, it's perfect. It is definitely a great beginner's bike, and I think that it could be customized to suit a pro also.

Favorite Trail:   Providence city streets and sidewalks (:

Purchased At:   "Free to Good Home" sign near Brown University

Submitted by Sezai Oktay a Cross Country Rider from Istanbul

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2006

Strengths:    Perfect single track geometry, strong frame and fork, stable wheels, lovely ride.

Weaknesses:    Cheap and heavy bottom bracket (even lasted ten years), plastic pedals.

Bottom Line:
I am the first owner of this bike purchased in 1995. Jumped to Shimano SPD pedals and Selle Italia saddle after few years. I have cycled about 10.000 km on the road, mountains, dirt and no complaint at all. I changed the bottom bracket, the cassette and the crankset with a new Deore last year and the headset with Deore XT (1994) last month, first time. I think the new mass production aluminium Treks cannot measure swords with this old boy.

It is the bike that takes you where you want to go; moreover you can race on it with some modifications, e.g. a light suspension fork. It is a long touring bike with appropriate tires, which has suitable braze-ons.

If I had one bike only it would be a Trek 920.

Favorite Trail:   hilly roads, forest

Purchased At:   Istanbul

Similar Products Used:   Look KG171 and Motobecane Mirage road racing bikes.

Bike Setup:   Originally, 1994 Shimano Alivio component group with STX rear derailleur and rear hub and Deore XT front hub; Gripshift SRT 300 shifters, Matrix SingleTrack Comp rims, Trek SYSTEM components.

Submitted by Jake Hamm a Cross Country Rider from Centerville va USA

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2004

Strengths:    great frame lightweight nice fork great for beginners

Weaknesses:    pedals (crapy plastic things) and the grip shift thing

Bottom Line:
this bike is awesome for a beginer i am 16 years old now and ive had it since i was like 12 its been great i just bought a cannondale prophet 600 because i have grown out of my trek in both skill and size so im stepping it up to the next level. i mean it can handle a nice 3 foot drop and its a hard tail great structural integrity its a great bike and anyoune who has one should keep it i give it five flaming poo piles for awesome

Favorite Trail:   backyard

Purchased At:   BP cycles

Similar Products Used:   my only bike a

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by rk a Cross Country Rider from Wilmington NC USA

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2004

Strengths:    A durable, high quality, True Temper OX steel frame. It weighs in at 4.8 lbs.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
Again, I am amazed that I am reviewing a frame this old. See my review, below, written in May, 2001. Shortly after writing that review, I started riding road again and put the 920 in the corner of the garage. Since then, I have gone through two road bikes, including a Bianchi Campione de Italia. I like riding roads and doing endurance rides (that is three or more hours at my age) and for a full year or more I did not ride the Trek 920 at all; I even tried to sell it. Then I decided to put 1.4 inch Ritchey Tom Slicks (highly recommended)on the Sun rims since they are on the narrow side anyway. Guess What? Go ahead, guess. No, I mean it- Guess. OK forget it. The 920 is my main ride again. It is more comfortable and more maneuverible and, therefore, safer, especially in this murderous city where I also commute. I also took the Trek and Bianchi out back-to-back for the same two hour loop on a windy February morning. The Bianchi went first at an average speed of 14.65 mph. I reset the computer and reset tire size, then took the Trek out and came back with an average speed of 14.3 mph. For those unfamiliar with average speed, this difference is insignificant. Slowing down for a traffic light, a little more headwind, riding the Trek with two hours already under my belt, or any other relatively minor slow down will scrub this much from your average. In other words, I am no faster on my Bianchi than on the Trek. I am not fast anyway, so for me, why not be comfortable instead of modern and stylish? If you are looking for a strong, high quality steel frame on which to build a trail or road bike, check out this frame, if you can find one.

Favorite Trail:   Sanford NC

Purchased At:   Pawn Shop

Similar Products Used:   Other Trek Mtb Frames, road bikes

Bike Setup:   Same as below but now with Ritchey Tom Slick 1.4 tires and SRAM/Shimano 9 spd drive train, WTB speed V race saddle, Easton Monkey lite handlebar, Manitou SXR fork.

Submitted by Chris Gerber a Racer from Sun Prairie/Whitewater

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2003

Strengths:    Man, this bike ruled. I had the 94' model 920 (completely rigid), and I still managed to keep up with my friend on his front suspended Schwinn. Rock solid frame, decent geometry, and the lovely feel of steel!

Weaknesses:    Uhm, the parts were pretty low quality for the riding that they got, but what do you expect on a little entry leveler like this? The quill stem, which is still on the bike is kinda sketchy. I'm turning this bike into a single-speed, and while trying to keep as much original equipment as possible, I thing the stem is going to have to go :(

Bottom Line:
If you could even find one of these bikes around anymore, I would snatch it up. A reliable bike, the 920 did what it was designed to do...get people on a bike and give them a good enough experience so that they continued biking. While parts weren't the greatest, the bike is a great bike. So many chances to upgrade, but still maintaining the sturdy CrMo construction, the 920 will be able to take you places that any other bike could. Wanna see one beadblasted and turned into a single speed? just ask!

Favorite Trail:   Anything with dirt or an urban environment

Purchased At:   Hacks Cycle and Fitness (now Willy Bikes)

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn Mesa, Huffy, TREK Bruiser ;)

Bike Setup:   Orig.: A mix-match of STX, Alivio, Acera X stuff. Araya rims, TREK tires, stem, bar, post,saddle
S.S.: Mostly the same but only one gear and a Selle Italia saddle.

Submitted by Les Burns a Weekend Warrior from Waxhaw, NC USA

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2002

Strengths:    Durable, easy shifting, easy seat adjustment.

Weaknesses:    A little heavy due to the steel construction

Bottom Line:
Great entry level mountain bikes. I have two so I can always take a friend. Easy to handle, easy to shift and great breaking power. Climbs even the steepest hills with relative ease due to the gearing. I hate Trek discontinued the 930 models because its hard to tear up even for a beginner. They can take a lot of abuse and keep on treking.

Favorite Trail:   Purple Trail - Cane Creek Park

Purchased At:   Bought two from an individual

Similar Products Used:   None: I'm a 150+ week road rider

Submitted by rk a Cross Country Rider from Wilmington NC

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2001

Strengths:    Very durable, exceptional handling

Bottom Line:
I can't believe that anyone would still read a review of this bike but here goes anyway. I found this 920 at a pawn shop and got the whole bike for $50. I searched out a Trek frame because I knew they fit me well but I was surprised to see a True Temper "OX Comp" sticker on the frame. I beleive this bike is a 97 to 99 model. I do not know the frame angles. I sanded out some serious scratches in the paint and touched the frame up with auto paint (kind of a metalic British Racing Green or dark jade). I built the bike up with a new bottom bracket, and new front derailleur, but otherwise put on used stuff from my old bike. I couldn't be happier. This frame makes a great all around trail bike and if sized just right it has very few if any faults. The bottom bracked to center is 12", SO at the seat is about 28", ETT is 21 1/2". You can do everything with this bike except the extreme end of any of mountin bike specialties (i.e. cross country race, freeride drops, downhill). Consider this frame if you like to build bikes, you have a short inseam but like generous stand over, you like hardtails, you don't need or want more than a 3" fork. My rating is for use as a hardtail all-around trail bike.

Favorite Trail:   Any Sanford, New Light in Raleigh NC, Government Trail in Snowmass Village CO

Purchased At:   pawn shop

Similar Products Used:   Other Treks, K2 ZED, a few other rentals

Bike Setup:   Trek 920 16.5" frame, LX/XT drive train, Sun Sub IV rims, XT hubs, Panaracer Smoke and Dart kevlar tires, SRAM 9.0 brakes and levers, USE XCR seat post, Bontrager plus 10 race saddle, Manitou SXR fork, etc

Submitted by Chris schutz a Racer from coon rapids minnesota

Date Reviewed: July 9, 1999

Strengths:
Awsome biginner bike, i f you are a parent and your kids wants a nice bike give them the tre 920 or 930

Weaknesses:
STX or lower

Bottom Line:
solid for begginers, but now i break it every week, i dont think a bike could hold up to me though i kill them, mud snow hill's it has well over 30,000 miles on it, and i just put it in the garage for retirment, now i will have to spen real money on a bike.
i rate 5 stars only for begginers only if you are good then 1 star

coon rapids dam/ or snywhere

more than 3 years