Trek 850 Bike 1998 or Older

4.48/5 (63 Reviews)

Trek 850

Submitted by David Adams a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2016

Strengths:    This bike seems to be bulletproof. The Chromalloy frame is solid.

Weaknesses:    I can't think of many. Although a little on the heavy side, it is still lighter than a discount store bike. Some people don't like the Shimano Altus gears, but I'm fine with them. I like the rapid fire shifters. They require very little maintenance. I would have had to adjust the gears a dozen times had it been a discount store bicycle.

Bottom Line:
I purchased this bike around 1993 when I was going to college full time. I love the paint job which is part of what attracted me to it. It is gray, purple and florescent orange. This was my first bike shop quality bike. I have kept a mileage journal and update it periodically to keep track of my mileage. to date I have nearly 8,000 miles on this bike. This has been a great joy in my life. I have taken good care of it and kept it clean, degreased and lubed periodically. this bike is like a Timex watch in that it keeps on ticking. This bike keeps on giving. The only thing you have to worry about is replacing components as they wear out such as the cassette. the chain once it stretches, replacing tires/tubes, pedals, and brake pads. I did put a new set of rapid fire shifters on and a new set of wheels. Other than that my bike is still stock. I have the original seat, crankset and handlebars. The bike has a 7 speed cassette and a triple crank on the front. I once hit 42 m.p.h. downhill when I first owned the bike. The Chromalloy frame absorbs road shock very well; much better than an aluminum frame. The bike is very robust. After 24 years of riding this machine, it rides nearly as good as when it was new. It has a sealed bottom bracket which I have never once had to replace. I definitely got what I paid for. I am quite sure I will get another 10 years out of this bike, maybe more.

Duration Product Used:   Since 1993

Purchased At:   Al's Bicycles

Submitted by S Wells

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2015

Strengths:    Light, nimble, and very strong frame

Bottom Line:
I got my 850 Mtn Track back in 1994 and I love that bike. I used to ride it almost every day on the Thun rail-trail before it was a trail. I rode slamming over old ties and then up into a nearby state park loaded with rocky trails steep hills and awesome single track. This bike is indestructible! Then I got married and the bike sat around—got saddled with a kid seat and later a trailer bike. My youngest has started riding a two-wheel bike and my older boy traded with a friend to get a mtn bike. I took the trailer bike off and went riding single-track trails through the woods with my older boy. I haven’t ridden any real single track trails in years—Wow! I Love this bike! It’s light, nimble and fun. I looked into what’s new with mtn bikes and it’s all about the bike today and the suspension and $$$. I say consider going old-school rigid where the focus was more on the riding and not on the bike. Old school riding is about reading the trail, choosing the right line and focus. You didn’t just smash and squish over everything—it takes finesse to ride rigid and the riding trail becomes a game of strategy, skill and balance. How far can you go without dabbing your foot down on a technical stretch of trail? Unbolting all the kid stuff from my 850 and taking it back into the woods again brings back what a joy this bike is to ride. This bike is really quick and is a great climber. Don’t get too dazzled by all the expensive new suspension stuff—you might find that you can keep your cash and have as much or even more fun with a good quality old bike like the 850.

Submitted by Jerry a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2015

Strengths:    Bulletproof, tough as nails...easy to work on...looks great, rides great...Did I mention this bike is indestructible?? Priced right...frame and fork USA made...looks great!

Weaknesses:    Original tires sucked...

Bottom Line:
I bought this baby new back in 96, so have been riding it for almost 20 yrs and LOVE IT, my fav bike ever!. My first and only mountain bike, have kicked the crap outta it the entire time....beat my 17 yr old nephew on a steep uphill fifteen yrs ago (he had a maxed out super expensive GT) he ended walking his up...as I passed him... last yr a friend bought a high end carbon bike with all the bells and whistles, he wanted to race my old beat to balls trainwreck (his words) then and i promptly dusted his ass! LOL Fifteen yrs ago I put new tires on it, new much better brake pads, bar ends and thats it! five yrs ago the shifters stopped working, read online that old lube will harden in em and cause em to fail. The fix is to spray the insides with an entire can of wd40 and let sit overnite, next day worked just like new! Ive ridden it on wicked downhills, up the steepest hills...in rain, desert, jungle, mountains...anywhere and everywhere and its never let me down. MSRP was 440 bucks back in 96, I got it for $380...got my moneys worth out of it and then some...and will never get rid of it....like the energizer bunny, keeps going...and going....

Favorite Trail:   Goose pond state park, Monroe NY

Duration Product Used:   19 ys

Purchased At:   spring valley cycle

Bike Setup:   Stock with new tires, bar ends brake pads...thats it!

Submitted by ken polk a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2014

Strengths:    Strong Bike
Heavy Frame for ruff trails

Weaknesses:    None!

Bottom Line:
Just any over all good old MTB. If you don't like it, just sell it to someone who will make use of a nice cheap (Price) bike.

Duration Product Used:   1yr 5 mo

Purchased At:   pawn shop

Similar Products Used:   I got my Mountain Track 850 in 2013 from a pawn shop in Louisville Ky, and I've been in love with it every since. Now I'm setting it up for the road to commute back and forward to work. Just a nice old MTB to restore or upgrade.

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Roberto Torres

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2012

Strengths:    I have an older trek 850 mt track xc and i love it dont need another bike this trek is as good as a new bike ride's great.

Weaknesses:    Dont seem to have any.

Bottom Line:
Trek must get.

Submitted by juan balandran

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2012

Strengths:    mt track trek 850 true temper full cro- moly bike FOR SALE

Bottom Line:
I have a mt track TREK bike FOR SALE which I bough at an estate sale if anyone is interested you can reach me @ 562 230-3573 I am in lakewood california i can send pics

Submitted by Fred

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2012

Strengths:    Bulletproof frame

Weaknesses:    Weak stock compunents

Bottom Line:
I purchased mine from Debo in Arlington,TX in '95. The frame, gears and forks are original. I replaced the rear wheel with a tandem wheel to hold up my 400# butt and the handlebars and shifters to ride more comfortably. I only ride on roads now, so I have street slicks instead of knobbies. It is my favorite bike.

Submitted by HillMan2011 a Weekend Warrior from Halifax, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2011

Strengths:    Incredible strength this bike has. If you like rigid road biking this is the bike.

Weaknesses:    For me none!

Bottom Line:
I need another Trek 850 Antelope! If anyone has one for sale let me know please. Will consider all conditions / frames / parts.

Favorite Trail:   South Shore

Purchased At:   Friend

Bike Setup:   As bought. Need used bikes to rebuild a good one.

Submitted by David0971 a Weekend Warrior from Idaho Falls, Idaho

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2011

Strengths:    tough frame, big tires, 21 gears, quick release seat and tires.

Weaknesses:    componets brole during its tune up when I got it. having a time getting the derailers back in perfect working condition. kindof a heavy bike.

Bottom Line:
what can I say some great Trek attributes but a little lower end for my taste. Will ride till I buy something new. Which will be Trek!

Favorite Trail:   Greenbelt

Purchased At:   given to me

Similar Products Used:   trek 8500, raleigh, 12 speed

Bike Setup:   up graded rims and tires, all original componets broken front brake though

Submitted by nolajake a Cross Country Rider from New Orleans, LA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2011

Strengths:    Indestructible frame and front fork. I can hop potholes and curbs without fear.

Weaknesses:    Some of the stock components were not great. Have replaced grips, brakes, shift levers, seat, etc., over the years.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike new in 1992, and have since put thousands of miles on it. I commute to work almost every day (14 miles round trip) on potholed and cracked NOLA streets, sometimes churning through tropical downpours. The Cro-Moly frame is heavy, but takes a daily beating without fail or complaint, and so far shows no signs of cracking welds or significant rust. In theory, I could just keep replacing components and keep this beast rolling forever. Though I sometimes wish for a new, lightweight full-suspension MTB, I couldn't be happier with my old workhorse. I may give out before it does.

Favorite Trail:   Crescent City streets

Similar Products Used:   Never needed another MTB, actually.

Bike Setup:   1992 Trek 850 Antelope 20" cro-moly frame, 7-speed/21-gear drivetrain; still have Shimano Exage 400 LX front derailleur paired w/ Exage 500 LX rear derailleur, Shimano crankset. Brakes & shifters replaced. Currently using Bontrager TrailB tires.

Submitted by zenhound a Cross Country Rider from Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2011

Strengths:    Solid workhorse

Weaknesses:    Stock parts were not great

Bottom Line:
I bought this used over 15 years ago, almost immediately replaced the stock parts, and rode it daily in some stupid places. I've dragged it with me around the country and, after a long break, I took it to West Newton Bikes and had them tune it- thing works as well now as it did then. I forgot how much I love riding. My riding has changed with age so I'll probably buy a hybrid but I'll keep this one for tougher trails.

Favorite Trail:   one without cars

Purchased At:   a bike shop in Hunti

Bike Setup:   Replaced almost everything but the frame.

Submitted by pmcomp a Weekend Warrior from Everett, WA

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2010

Strengths:    Rock solid cromoly frame. Good welding job. Semi-vertical dropouts allow easy conversion to SS. Nice solid old school hardtail.

Weaknesses:    purchased used; worn, inexpensive components

Bottom Line:
Wish I'd paid a little less because I'm going to end up replacing everything except the frame. Nice frame though!

Purchased At:   craigslist