Trek 850 Bike 1998 or Older

4.47/5 (60 Reviews)

Trek 850

Submitted by ken polk a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2014

Strengths:    Strong Bike
Heavy Frame for ruff trails

Weaknesses:    None!

Bottom Line:
Just any over all good old MTB. If you don't like it, just sell it to someone who will make use of a nice cheap (Price) bike.

Duration Product Used:   1yr 5 mo

Purchased At:   pawn shop

Similar Products Used:   I got my Mountain Track 850 in 2013 from a pawn shop in Louisville Ky, and I've been in love with it every since. Now I'm setting it up for the road to commute back and forward to work. Just a nice old MTB to restore or upgrade.

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Roberto Torres

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2012

Strengths:    I have an older trek 850 mt track xc and i love it dont need another bike this trek is as good as a new bike ride's great.

Weaknesses:    Dont seem to have any.

Bottom Line:
Trek must get.

Submitted by juan balandran

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2012

Strengths:    mt track trek 850 true temper full cro- moly bike FOR SALE

Bottom Line:
I have a mt track TREK bike FOR SALE which I bough at an estate sale if anyone is interested you can reach me @ 562 230-3573 I am in lakewood california i can send pics

Submitted by Fred

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2012

Strengths:    Bulletproof frame

Weaknesses:    Weak stock compunents

Bottom Line:
I purchased mine from Debo in Arlington,TX in '95. The frame, gears and forks are original. I replaced the rear wheel with a tandem wheel to hold up my 400# butt and the handlebars and shifters to ride more comfortably. I only ride on roads now, so I have street slicks instead of knobbies. It is my favorite bike.

Submitted by HillMan2011 a Weekend Warrior from Halifax, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2011

Strengths:    Incredible strength this bike has. If you like rigid road biking this is the bike.

Weaknesses:    For me none!

Bottom Line:
I need another Trek 850 Antelope! If anyone has one for sale let me know please. Will consider all conditions / frames / parts.

Favorite Trail:   South Shore

Purchased At:   Friend

Bike Setup:   As bought. Need used bikes to rebuild a good one.

Submitted by David0971 a Weekend Warrior from Idaho Falls, Idaho

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2011

Strengths:    tough frame, big tires, 21 gears, quick release seat and tires.

Weaknesses:    componets brole during its tune up when I got it. having a time getting the derailers back in perfect working condition. kindof a heavy bike.

Bottom Line:
what can I say some great Trek attributes but a little lower end for my taste. Will ride till I buy something new. Which will be Trek!

Favorite Trail:   Greenbelt

Purchased At:   given to me

Similar Products Used:   trek 8500, raleigh, 12 speed

Bike Setup:   up graded rims and tires, all original componets broken front brake though

Submitted by nolajake a Cross Country Rider from New Orleans, LA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2011

Strengths:    Indestructible frame and front fork. I can hop potholes and curbs without fear.

Weaknesses:    Some of the stock components were not great. Have replaced grips, brakes, shift levers, seat, etc., over the years.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike new in 1992, and have since put thousands of miles on it. I commute to work almost every day (14 miles round trip) on potholed and cracked NOLA streets, sometimes churning through tropical downpours. The Cro-Moly frame is heavy, but takes a daily beating without fail or complaint, and so far shows no signs of cracking welds or significant rust. In theory, I could just keep replacing components and keep this beast rolling forever. Though I sometimes wish for a new, lightweight full-suspension MTB, I couldn't be happier with my old workhorse. I may give out before it does.

Favorite Trail:   Crescent City streets

Similar Products Used:   Never needed another MTB, actually.

Bike Setup:   1992 Trek 850 Antelope 20" cro-moly frame, 7-speed/21-gear drivetrain; still have Shimano Exage 400 LX front derailleur paired w/ Exage 500 LX rear derailleur, Shimano crankset. Brakes & shifters replaced. Currently using Bontrager TrailB tires.

Submitted by zenhound a Cross Country Rider from Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2011

Strengths:    Solid workhorse

Weaknesses:    Stock parts were not great

Bottom Line:
I bought this used over 15 years ago, almost immediately replaced the stock parts, and rode it daily in some stupid places. I've dragged it with me around the country and, after a long break, I took it to West Newton Bikes and had them tune it- thing works as well now as it did then. I forgot how much I love riding. My riding has changed with age so I'll probably buy a hybrid but I'll keep this one for tougher trails.

Favorite Trail:   one without cars

Purchased At:   a bike shop in Hunti

Bike Setup:   Replaced almost everything but the frame.

Submitted by pmcomp a Weekend Warrior from Everett, WA

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2010

Strengths:    Rock solid cromoly frame. Good welding job. Semi-vertical dropouts allow easy conversion to SS. Nice solid old school hardtail.

Weaknesses:    purchased used; worn, inexpensive components

Bottom Line:
Wish I'd paid a little less because I'm going to end up replacing everything except the frame. Nice frame though!

Purchased At:   craigslist

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn MTB

Bike Setup:   Purchased stock. Now it has new Surly crankset, Wheels MFG SS conversion kit.

Submitted by b-rad a Cross Country Rider from Grand rapids MI USA

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2010

Strengths:    I love this bike. very strong...

Weaknesses:    I can't say anything bad about it, I'm hard on the bike. but i just tune it up and ride.

Bottom Line:
I will never get rid of this bike...

Favorite Trail:   we have tons of great trail systems

Purchased At:   bought a Vw jeta tre

Similar Products Used:   none compare 4 me.

Bike Setup:   its an 850, but its the Vw limited edition so it has upgraded parts on it.

Submitted by sonicteapot a Weekend Warrior from Portsmouth UK

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2010

Strengths:    Bomb proof construction, Riding position, road and trail performance.

Weaknesses:    not found

Bottom Line:
Its often been left outside in all weathers...it's been jumpin' and bumpin' for 15 years through all seasons and all terrain (bmx tracks included...although my nuts didn't fare so well!!) "tea leaves" pass it by for shiny newer models and although I'm yet again looking at newer models ...I will never ever part with my 850 lest it disintegrates!

Favorite Trail:   TO INFINITY AND BEYOND

Similar Products Used:   Marin Claude butler

Bike Setup:   Standard

Submitted by dechristensen a Cross Country Rider from WA

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2010

Strengths:    Indestructable

Bottom Line:
I bought this on vacation when I was about to move to Moscow. Rode this thing all through Germany, and then like made since I've been back. You got to respect it for what it is, effiecent, pretty fast, strong upright street transportation. Think I'm going to rip it apart next week nad treat it to new grease and cables.

Favorite Trail:   To Safeway and back

Purchased At:   Jackson Mississippi

Bike Setup:   Stock. Big Slicks

Submitted by jotto a Cross Country Rider from grand rapids MI

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2009

Strengths:    indestructible
elegant: this thing is so simple. I actually like the cantilever brakes because of their simplicity. The lack of shocks is also fine with me. The less crap the better in my book.
The Antelope takes me everywhere. I may be slow, but I never break down.

Weaknesses:    The bearings suck

Bottom Line:
I beat the living hell out of this thing. The paint job and forks date it, so I don't think it will ever be stolen. It's a sleeper!

Favorite Trail:   the road

Purchased At:   was given to me

Similar Products Used:   My only serious bike. All others are vintage.

Bike Setup:   Stock except for semi-slick, fat tires for the MI winters, lizard skin locking grips, rear fender, and a rear rack.

Submitted by smitty_in_vancouver a Weekend Warrior from Vancouver USA

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2009

Strengths:    Great geometry for my 6.2" build
Makes an excellent commuter bike
Decent component

Weaknesses:    Was great for the past 16 years commuting until my rear triangle frame on the cassette side weld came apart.

Bottom Line:
This has been a great bike, but not something I'd take down rough single track regularly, though I have a few times. It's been an outstanding commuter bike and I have over 6000 miles on it. It's fine for jumping off and on curbs and small single track side routes. I'm actually surprised the fame came apart this weekend when I was simply riding it on a flat and passing a road racer. I thought it was indestructible, but I guess no bike really is.

Favorite Trail:   Ape Canyon, Mt. St. Helens

Purchased At:   Vancouver Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Comparable to Gary Fisher and Giant bikes.

Bike Setup:   Stock, with rear rack for trunk bag.

Submitted by Dennis a Cross Country Rider from Inverness Florida U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2009

Strengths:    Absolutely indestructable. Bought it new in 1982 or 83 and have ridden it weekly ever since. I currently ride about fifteen miles a day for fitness. Everybody should have one of these.

Weaknesses:    I'm keeping my eye out for some.

Bottom Line:
I've gotten 26 years of pleasure from this great bike. It had been all Schwinns up til then but if I ever buy another bike it will have to be a Trek. I figure it's cost me around $27.00 a year to ride this bike and you probably can't get much better value than that. I use it for trail riding, fitness, bombing around the farm and town. It really has been reliable. Now that I think of it I do seem to remember a repair of some sort about ten years ago but whatever it was there wasn't much to it. Truly amazing when you think about it. I love my bike!

Favorite Trail:   Nederland Colorado

Purchased At:   High Wheeler Boulder

Similar Products Used:   None. Why bother? This thing is all I know.

Bike Setup:   Completely original except for seat, tires and grips.

Bontrager at-850 disc 29 ver the new wide carbon rims by derby

I would like to upgrade my Bontrager at 850 disc 29 to the new carbon wide profile rim that just came out I believe by Derby. Does anybody know the weight of the 850 disc 29s So I can compare them? Also any recommendations on someone/shop that could help me get the correct hubs and then lace them up ... Read More »

1994 Trek 850 restoration questions.

Alright, I love mountain biking and my father used to. I'm in my 30's now but in my early 20's my father and I used to hit the trails regularly. He hasn't ridden in 10+ years. Since his brother died a year ago he's been a gym rat and has (proudly) gotten himself back into shape at 64. Now he's talki ... Read More »

Bontrager AT-850 Tubeless conversion - Success!

Got a new 2014 Trek X Cal9 last week...have been researching going tubeless and finally took the plunge today on the front. Bought new WTB Wolverine tires (29x2.2) also while I'm at it. Have the stock Bontrager AT-850 non tubeless wheels. 1. removed the OEM rimstrip covering the spoke nipples 2. ... Read More »

Bontrager at-850 rim question

I grew up riding freestyle bmx and ride my new mtb with somewhat similar style. I have Bontrager AT-850 29er rims. My question is, do i need to worry about bending them? Or can i punish them without consequence. 29 is a whole new world...Read More »

Paid SPAM: Ellsworth Roots cyclocross or gravel bike 19 pounds! $850 obo

[url=http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=92697]Ellsworth Roots carbon fiber and aluminum cyclocross/gravel grinder MONSTER! 54cm only 19 pounds - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories[/url] [URL=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/detail/media/Ellsworth%20Roots/DSCF113 ... Read More »