Trek 830 SHX Bike 1998 or Older

4.19/5 (26 Reviews)

Trek 830 SHX

Submitted by Thomas

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2013

Strengths:    Durable as all get out. I tried and tried to kill this bike and it refused to die. It will be alive when I'm gone, I'm sure of it.
Smooth shifting.
Brakes nice and responsive.
Quick release tires and seat post (pretty fancy for back in the day, no biggie today).
Grip shifts

Weaknesses:    A tad on the heavy side but that's all the negs I'll give it.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike for $75 back in 1995 off of a friend who was in desperate need of money.
At the time I didn't even think I'd ride it and bought it just to help the dude out. Well, I did ride it,
A L-O-T! That bike moved with me up and down the East Coast, I pounded that thing on
every trail I could find. I NEVER had any issues with that bike and as far as maintaining it? Oiled
the chain and bought one set of tires. I ended up selling it in 2009 for $50 to put down on a newer
bike. Looking back, I wish I kept it because it was a smaller frame size and I could toss it in the
car and take it anywhere and I LOVED the grip shifts. Miss my old 830.....miss her dearly.

Submitted by Rob55

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2012

Strengths:    Cheap. Bullet proof. Novice wrench friendly. Easy to tweek and up grade. Standard stuff fits. CroMo ride. Fairly nimble. Climbs well and easy to control on the downhills. Has done more than a few miles of 30% downhill rough trail with over 200 lbs in the saddle without a single failure. classic lines.

Weaknesses:    It's heavy. The group on it was pretty basic. The pedals sucked. Like most MT bikes the Geometry is not quite laid back enough for commuting or cruising.

Bottom Line:
I was looking for a 21 inch Bridge stone MB1 or MB2 on Craigslist 10 years ago and ran across this thing for $100. When I called the man didn't know what size it was and swore it was new. He said he was a big guy and the bike fit him. He was 10 miles away and I rode out to look. He had two, a 17 inch, and a 19 inch. A quick glance at the chain rings and rims verified they were hanging in his garage untouched for a decade. the tires still had label residue on them. I told him they were too small and he offered me both for $100. I offered him $50 for the 19 inch and 10 years later it has slicks, a shimano dyno hub, fenders, and racks on it. I've commuted a couple thousand miles on it. I also did some laid back trail riding with it before the conversion 10 years ago. It still looks like new. I take it apart and clean it up every spring. It will still be going when my grand kids are old enough to ride it. If I find a 21 inch frame I like I'm going to put a single speed hub on this one.

Submitted by hookydoo a Racer from west virginia

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2011

Strengths:    it's pretty much an old battle tank of ancient myths now

Weaknesses:    I'ts the heaviest rigid bike you'll ever find

Bottom Line:
okay, so I have the 1989 830 and it is pretty much the heaviest and toughest rigid mtb I've ever seen. not that anyone will see this (who looks up reviews on this thing???)
this is the kind of bike that is good for a rail trail and some mtb trails and thats about it. It will never die. It cannot be stopped. right now I have an engine mounted on mine and have done away with that rigid fork and replaced it with an old rock shox. If you find one for 50 bucks or less I might think about it for a commuter or something like that, but it is quite old and outdated in every meaning of the word.

Favorite Trail:   ...all??

Purchased At:   kind of found it/wor

Similar Products Used:   1999 hookooekoo, orginal Haro Extreme, Trek 4300,stuff like that.

Bike Setup:   shimano parts...old parts...

Submitted by jbeasley a Downhiller from fredrericksburg,va,usa

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2010

Strengths:    good bike light wight and good on trails

Weaknesses:    my trek moutain trak 830 has no shocks so that a downer

Bottom Line:
this is a good bike

Favorite Trail:   ones i make

Purchased At:   work

Bike Setup:   hardtail

Submitted by fozzie0909 a Weekend Warrior from Lee's Summit, Mo. USA

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2010

Strengths:    extremely light and durable. The type of bike you fully expect to see being riden 15 years later.

Weaknesses:    have not found any yet

Bottom Line:
this bike has become the family favorite whenever we go out on rides. we do not ride real fancy but the quality of this bike is clear and i find it very unlikely that i will find a better bike with out spending a small fortune. This is a great bike for the serious rider as well as the weekend warrior.

Favorite Trail:   the ones I make

Purchased At:   was being thrown out

Similar Products Used:   old rock hopper

Bike Setup:   i assume the basic package. I found it at the curb with this guys trash...asked him if he was really throwing it out and if i could have it. Since i have replaced a couple of tubes and nothing more. this was 5 years ago.

Submitted by tim a Cross Country Rider from Jacksonville, FL

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2009

Strengths:    Great Shifting, Light, Durable

Weaknesses:    Could Use suspension

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the money. If I would have gotten this bike first, it would have save me alot of money trying other bikes.

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by r_kleinpaste a Cross Country Rider from Spokane, WA

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2009

Strengths:    Great beginner bike. Purchased because they don't make good lower end chick mountain bikes. Easy to handle even though it's a bit on the heavy side. Floats over rocks, the shocks are awesome!!! Stiff but not to stiff. Breaks are great. Took two spills down the mountain; the bike survived like it never happened, unlike me.

Weaknesses:    Frame is heavy even for it's time.

Bottom Line:
If you get a chance to purchase this bike, it goes forever and has some upgrade ability. It's agile, quick and indestructible. It's a great ride. I can't get rid of it!

Favorite Trail:   Upper Priest River Trail

Purchased At:   Wheel Sport in 1995i

Similar Products Used:   Trek Y22

Submitted by panda-man a Weekend Warrior from Irvine, CA

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2009

Strengths:    Great bike for its time in 1994. Cromoly frame, though heavy at the time compared to aluminum was strong and managed to survive the beating I gave it. It also was my first introduction to GripShifts as well.

Weaknesses:    Could have used better components

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike way back in '94 and I still have it. Somehow, I can't part with my first real bike... Though I now have a 2008 Trek Fuel EX8, I still ride this for fun and ol' times sake. It is still a good ride even after 15 years...

Purchased At:   Bike Barn in Hayward

Bike Setup:   All stock but added bar ends...

Submitted by Roger Dodger a Cross Country Rider from Bend, Or

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2008

Strengths:    Light but solid. Takes a real beating and surprisingly resilient. Looks nice too. Old school, no nonsense, sweet ride.

Weaknesses:    Components are little weak, but mine have surprisingly held up for the last 20 years! Not bad.

Bottom Line:
Solid, made in USA, classic Trek. You gotta love this workhorse. A classic.

Purchased At:   Local shop WAAAY bac

Bike Setup:   Stock, as bought. Nothing swapped out yet.

Submitted by Yukio a Weekend Warrior from Arkansas, USA

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2008

Strengths:    This bike is indestructible! Awesome cro-moly frame. Very responsive at high speeds. The cantilever brakes stop on a dime.

Weaknesses:    Low end components. Grip shifters tend to change gears as you go over bumpy terrain, but I guess that just comes with the territory when it comes to grip shifters. Rigid fork makes me nervous on the same bumpy terrain at high speeds and my hands seem to go numb before the end of my rides. I can only assume that it's from fatigue from the bone-rattling riding I have been doing.

Bottom Line:
I like this bike alot. There is very little information about the Trek Mt. Track XC 830 out there, but from where I'm standing it's a pretty good starter bike. (And the price can't be beat!) It can certainly take whatever I can throw at it and come back wanting more. I'd say that if you are looking for a bike to get into the sport with this bike won't let you down.

I've rated it as a great value (I got mine for FREE after all and the frame is bomb-proof) but rated it 3 chilis being that it's got low-end components and is so old that it's lacking the technological advances that have been made in the last decade or so. The frame rocks though. I tend to rate things pretty tough because I try to be realistic.

Favorite Trail:   Any fast singletrack

Purchased At:   Gift from my bro-in-

Similar Products Used:   First 'real' bike and the only one I've ridden for any length of time. I've test ridden a couple of fairly high end bikes, but there is really no comparison between those bikes and this one. This bike is ancient and those were brand new. You usually get what you pay for.

Bike Setup:   Completely stock except I had to replace the saddle, tires, and swapped out the stock pedals with some newer ones. I like to ride fast and felt I had better find a way to stay attached to the bike itself before I bounced off of it.

Submitted by GEM a Weekend Warrior from stl

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2008

Strengths:    The bike appears to be well-built and lighter than it would appear. Gear changing grip shift is smooth. Frame feels solid. I like the cantilever brakes on this more than the caliper brakes on the Raleigh I had.

Weaknesses:    It has huge over-sized knobby tires which are a bit much for me right now. I'm going to put some semi-slicks on here soon. It looks good, but I'm not sure I like the yellow. The fork shocks seem hokey to me...maybe they're working.

Bottom Line:
There's not alot of info for this bike on the web, so I thought I would add to the reviews. So far I really like this bike, especially for the price I paid. Seems to be perfect for a evening/weekend rider like me.

Favorite Trail:   Tower Grove Park

Purchased At:   craigslist.org

Similar Products Used:   Raleigh hybrid, couple of Schwinn road bikes, all kinds of BMX bikes

Bike Setup:   97-98? Trek 830SHX silver and yellow. looks brand new so I guess it's completely stock. It has one small scratch on the fork... I think it just sat in a garage for awhile.

Submitted by Peter B a Weekend Warrior from Knoxville, TN, USA

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2008

Strengths:    Good frame, decent components, IMO.

Weaknesses:    A little heave for a cromoly frame.

Bottom Line:
I got this bike because it was the perfect fit for what I needed over 15 years ago. I have to replace the cables finally. The seat has been replaced to something a little more comfortable on the buns. I have over 2000 miles on this bike. It has been a wonderful ride. I get passed by the street bikes all the time, but it will go anywhere you want, as long as your legs can handle it.

I have upgraded to a Fisher Marlin disc, but this 830 Antelope will always be my favorite bike. I am going to give it to my son when he can reach the pedals.

If you have an older 830, Keep it. It is easily upgradable and it is still fun for me to ride.

Favorite Trail:   any trail is a good trail

Purchased At:   Culpepper VA

Similar Products Used:   Started out with the basic discount store bikes before I got this on in 1992.

Bike Setup:   Stock mainly. Have added cyclometer, shark fin, lights and cages tho. Rigid forks.

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from Easton, PA

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2008

Strengths:    Excellent bike. Stable easy to handle at slow speeds. Fast and nimble at 20. I was a raod biker and switched to mountain bikes. This is a great bike for the money. The shifting is awesome. The cantys work great. Swap out the mountain bike tires for slicks and stomp on a few road bike weekend warriors.

Weaknesses:    None that I can find. Trek has done it again with a great bike for the rest of us.

Bottom Line:
Buy the bike! If you are a bike path rider or fitness rider who loves a sweet machine, you won't go wrong with a Trek 830 antelope.

Favorite Trail:   stockertown ride off 191

Purchased At:   ebay auction

Similar Products Used:   Nishiki Backroads. Giant Allegre. Nishiki Century.

Bike Setup:   I put a small pack on the back, changed out the tires and I was good to go.

Submitted by dark rider a Racer from chicago

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2007

Strengths:    good

Weaknesses:    good

Bottom Line:
you suck if your bike is steel

Favorite Trail:   my butt