Trek 800 Bike Bike 1998 or Older

3.88/5 (177 Reviews)

Trek 820

Submitted by Tim

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2013

Strengths:    Dependable, smooth, easy to look at.

Weaknesses:    non from my point of view

Bottom Line:
My grandfather bought this bike new in 96' gave it to me in 98' to take to college. I have been riding it ever since. The only thing I have ever replaced are tubes and tires. I changed out the old knobby tires for some smooth road tires. Always shifts smooth and rides straight. I have always kept it in a garage or basment. No rust at all. I just took it into the trek store for its first ever tune up, cleaning and lube in 15 years. It now looks and rides like it is brand new. I thought about upgrading to a new Trek FX 7.1, but this bike just rides so nice I cant do it and after 15 years I have become a little attached. Best Bike i have ever owned. It would have to be destroyed or stolen for me to get a new one. This is a very solid well built bike. Thanks for the 15 years of fun Trek, looking forward to 15 more.

Submitted by Robert Guadagnolo

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2012

Strengths:    I like my Trek Antelope 800. It was bought in 1991 and now it's 2012. The bike frame is tough and many people who know about bikes have all commented on the excellent welding job and how it's not visible.
My bike has endured a house fire and all the rubber and plastic pieces had to be replaced. I live in Montreal Canada and i ride all year round, summer and winter.
In 1991, the store was saying the bike usually sells for $800. but we bought two because they were having a sale and were selling each bike for half price at $400.
This bike has been to hell and back.
I wore out the derailleur and front crank twice. I am on my third chain. I wore out the hand grips twice. Both wheels had to be replaced because the bearings were finished and the wheels got warped after years of hard riding. I bought higher handle bars because i dislike the high-seat low-handle bars idea.

I put fenders on the bike and a rack in the back for saddle-bag and i use it for shopping and everything.

Weaknesses:    The only weakness i can think off were the forks that had to be changed once.
What had happened is i saw a cute woman and i was not looking where i was riding and a i hit a car bumper waiting at a red light. I wasn't going fast at all but the result was that my front tire was touching the frame after the hit. Another time, the goose neck cracked inside. But these two incidents happened only after i had the bike for year and years. The gear changer for the crack side of the gears just recently lost it's 1 2 3 dial, but the gears still change alright.
The bike is much lighter than most CCM and Supercycle bikes.

Bottom Line:
Great bike for 1991.I am sure there are better bike nowadays but i see the welding is very noticeable on most bikes i look at these days.

Submitted by PRGrimaldi a Weekend Warrior from Round Lake, IL, USA

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2011

Strengths:    Strong Frame, Good Quality Components, Nimble Handling

Weaknesses:    No Suspension

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike in 1997 and got a discount off of the MSRP. I rode the S?$# out of this bike on the forest preserve trails for 5 years, and then stored it for 8 in my unheated garage. When I pulled it out to start getting some exersise again, all it needed was a good cleaning, air in the tires, and some minor adjustments. Wanted a suspension bike since I am getting older (50) and picked up a 1997 Y5 cheap. Gave the 800 Sport to my sister and she is still riding it.

Favorite Trail:   McHenry Prarie Trail

Purchased At:   B&G Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   1997 Trek Y5

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by industrialphreak a Downhiller from Omaha,NE USA

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2011

Strengths:    Great basic entry level mnt bike, i use them for motorbicycle projects

Weaknesses:    no mounting points for disk breaks, needs a little mod's for wider nuvinci drive axel

Bottom Line:
WICKED compatible bike for hard core project thiends.

Favorite Trail:   Keystone

Purchased At:   sals pawn

Bike Setup:   two stroke, frnt wheel drive 1kW brushed dc, eventually four stroke kit.

Submitted by Rob Larkins a Weekend Warrior from Des Moines, IA, USA

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2010

Strengths:    Great solid well built bike. Quality components ie Shimano derailers and gear sets.

Weaknesses:    A bit heavy. Tire noise on the street (that's a mountain bike)

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike new in 98". The first thing I did was swapped out the front forks for a ROCKS SHOX and a Schwinn head clamp (to make it work) and narrower bar. If I remember correctly it all came out an inch forward and an inch lower. I had no problems commuting up very steep long hills or playing around on novice single tracks or 20 mile jaunts with the mud tires howling the whole way. Fast forward 8-9 years after a couple kids, and letting the bike set out in a barn for most of a decade, took the bike in for lube and service and installed some slicks (not sure the brand) I am very excited to ride this thing with road tires. All cleaned up this thing still looks in fact brand new!
Anyone who wants to buy the JEEP of bikes should seriously look at the TREK800. Only bike I will ever have to buy.

Favorite Trail:   Street

Purchased At:   Ottumwa Bike and Tro

Similar Products Used:   BMX bikes. Wifes Schwinn (really smooth), TREK 8300 (?) friends bike, lighter and more expensive

Bike Setup:   Rocks Shox front suspension, reduced bar width (not sure maybe -1 or 2in)

Submitted by McCormack a Weekend Warrior from Brooklyn NY

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2010

Strengths:    I had my trek antelope 800 since 1993 and it still rides great! It holds up well in all types of weather.I had the bike for 17 years and the frame is still solid!Make sure you maintain the bike and it will last for ever...

Weaknesses:    The trek antelope 800 has 21 speeds, wish it had more!!

Bottom Line:
If you want to get your money worth on a bicycle get the trek antelope 800
P.S.
Not sure if Trek still makes this model

Favorite Trail:   city streets

Purchased At:   Bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Huffy

Bike Setup:   New tires, continental 26*1.6 sport contact.Front rear fender, rear rack,front rear lights,shimano shifters,new seat,chain and brake pads

Submitted by Zane a Cross Country Rider from Gillette Wyoming USA

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2010

Strengths:    Good and strong I have wrecked off a 10 foot cliff I picked it up and rode away with only minor scraches of the paint the weight is a part I like also I like a little weight when I'm riding it makes the bike more stable

Weaknesses:    None that I have found

Bottom Line:
It is a great bike sturdy enough to fall 10 feet and nimble enough to go on tight and windy trales I normaly ride dirt bikes and I love doing that but I needed a good way to have fun with friends and famly I love my bike if ur just starting to ride mountain bikes this is the best bike for it's price level. Don't buy it if u don't have a good back because it dosent have front shocks

Favorite Trail:   Meh don't have one

Purchased At:   Bike shop

Similar Products Used:   This is my first nice bike I used wal mart bikes 4 a long time

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by P?ll Jens Reynisson a Cross Country Rider from Reykjavík, Iceland

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2010

Strengths:    It lasts.

Weaknesses:    Do damping forks or daming on seats

Bottom Line:
luv it, used it for 13 years (since 1997) it is perfect.

Favorite Trail:   Langidalur-Steingrímsfjarðaheiði

Purchased At:   Örninn, Reykjavík

Bike Setup:   Orginal

Submitted by jzutz a Weekend Warrior from Plover, WI, USA

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2010

Strengths:    Solid - Simple - Sturdy - Stupendous!

Weaknesses:    Front suspension would be nice. Handlebars should extend higher. Could use a larger main sprocket (3rd).

Bottom Line:
Had for 14-15 years! I've replaced tubes, tires, and brake pads. That's it! I've given it a lube job 3 times. Performs flawlessly. I will replace the fork/yoke bearings this year though, they have finally worn out. It is faster than the other 3 "good" bikes we have, but high gear is not high enough. It's perfect for flat road with no wind, but if there is a tail wind or a downgrade, I can't pedal fast enough. I do miss the speed of my old schwinn road bike (1982), but for the second bike i've ever owned, I won't complain. I would really like a sprung fork... I'm going to see if I can fit one. If I can, I'll keep it another 15 years. And maybe 15 more after that.

Favorite Trail:   Green Circle Trail

Purchased At:   Wolf Cyclery - Manit

Similar Products Used:   $350-500 mtb's from bike shops. Front only, or full susp.

Bike Setup:   Gel seat pad, rear rack, Adapter for a trail-a-bike, lights.

Submitted by woobik a Weekend Warrior from Pennsville, Nj, USa

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2010

Strengths:    Fast, light, sturdy, reliable, wide/ample gear range.

Weaknesses:    I'm a big guy(6' 230lbs) and the seat seems small. Plastic pedals, small pedals.

Bottom Line:
It has been a long time since I rode or owned a bicycle, but I am glad that this is the bike that I came back to. This bike was given to me by my fiance, it was gifted to her by an ex bf. She told me it was gifted to her 5 years and was sitting in her parents basement for 3 years.

After I got the bike into my garage I changed the inner tubes and sprayed some chain lube on the sprockets, chain and gear changing mechanisms.

The bike has since performed flawless, I can not stay off of it. I own an 09 mustang gt and this bike is a nice change of pace.

It handles the road and is VERY fast on the asphault, if i had to estimate I would say in gear 21 that my top speed is 25mph. On a gravel path at the park near my house the bike handles great.

The gear range is amazing, until this point in my life I have only rode on mountain bikes from chain stores like wal-mart and such. This is the finest bi cycle machine that I have been on. In gear 1 the torque that is applied is amazing. Since the bike sat for so long I was worried that the tires and brake pads would be dry rotted and not perform properly. Aside from a little bit of noise when applying the brakes, everything works exceptionally.

My only concern is that since the rims seem to be relatively narrow(1.95"), I only hope that they can hold up to actual use on rough terrain and mild jumps. In my youth, when I was about 60lbs lighter I destroyed more than a couple of rims on my cheaper bikes. I am going out tonight with my buddy who has a mongoose mountain bike, I'm sure we will swap rides a little and see how they compare.

Purchased At:   Was gifted to me

Bike Setup:   21 speeds - nobby tires

Submitted by Curtis a Weekend Warrior from Leavenworth, Kansas USA

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2009

Strengths:    This bike is solid, very well built. Every original part of the bike is still on it (except for the tubes). 21 speed, lots to choose from.

Weaknesses:    Uncomfortable Seat, I wish the handlebars extended a little further forward.

Bottom Line:
Back when I was in boy scouts I got this bike for a 350+ mile bike ride across Iowa (Nauvoo, IL to Omaha, NB). The trip would have been easier on a road bike, but I chose a mountain bike because I knew I'd get more use and have more fun with one. The trip went fine, I kept up with everyone else on their road bikes with ease. This bike didn't have a single problem the entire trip. I greased it up, kept the tires at full pressure and road the heck out of it. I've sense done a mixture of off and on road biking, nothing as extensive as the 350+ mile bike ride, but I'm currently condition for my second century (hundred mile ride). The gears and brakes have needed some adjustments to stay ship shape, I've done it all myself. I've gone through a few tubes. Most punctures came from changing the tires from road to off-road and not while riding (stupid pinch). The gears sometimes act a little funny now and then, but nothing too bad, the brakes are still solid.

All in all, if you are looking for an inexpensive mountain bike that is also quite capable on the road, there is no better bike than a Trek 800. I bought my wife a 820 with front suspension (wish mine had that...), she loves it. We just put hybrid tires on her bike along with some lights and a water bottle holder. It looks cool, and I'm hoping it'll be as sturdy as my 800.

Purchased At:   Santa Fe Bike Shop

Bike Setup:   Bell LED front and rear lights. Water bottle holder. Bell wireless trip computer. Bell bike lock. Hybrid tires for on road use.

Submitted by Paul.34 a Cross Country Rider from Leeuwarden Netherlands

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2009

Strengths:    Very tough bike. Heavy but strong! I hope i can ride it for a very long time! It's 830 with fluoriscend yellow colour. It hurts your eyes!

Weaknesses:    No front suspension, but only ofroad it's a little problem.

Bottom Line:
I wanted a Trek and i am very happy with it!

Favorite Trail:   Appelscha

Purchased At:   Private sales

Similar Products Used:   Only bargain mtb's with no real brand

Bike Setup:   Standard. Only placed SPD pedals

Submitted by Chicago Tony a Weekend Warrior from Chicago

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2009

Strengths:    Light frame. Sturdy frame. Easy gear shift. Easy adjustable seat

Weaknesses:    Seat is killing me, so I bought a gel seat cover.

Bottom Line:
I get a great deal!!!! This bikes fits easily into my 2007 Toyota FJ. The hand grips feel great.

Favorite Trail:   Michigan Avenue

Purchased At:   Private Seller

Submitted by Hawaii65 a Weekend Warrior from Santa Barbara

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2009

Strengths:    Durability and value

Weaknesses:    Somewhat heavy compared to today's bikes

Bottom Line:
I bought a Trek 800 for my birthday in October 1988 and have riddden it regularly since primarily to commute to work (8 mile roundtrip), run errands around town and for exercise. I loved this bike - solid, easy to ride, tough -had the chain replaced once but no other components. A week ago I brought it into the shop where I purchased it (Open Air Bicycles in Santa Barbara, CA) for a tune-up and learned the frame was cracked! After a brief grieving, I learned that the shop and Trek had a lifetime guarantee on the frame and did Trek ever step up to the plate. They didn't just replace the frame, they gave me a brand new Trek 820! Way big kudos to Open Air, Trek and the Trek rep, Jim Anderson. I am a Trekker for life!

Favorite Trail:   Jesusita