Trek 7000 Bike Bike 1998 or Older

4.49/5 (124 Reviews)

Trek 7000SHX

Submitted by donalan a Weekend Warrior from Springfield VA

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2011

Strengths:    Frame and components

Weaknesses:    Frames run a little small very very rigid

Bottom Line:
Lol its 2011 and I still ride mine. One shifter broke and I have replaced the grips tires and wheels thats it. Of course I have a full suspension as this full rigid is impossible to ride fast on very rough/rocky terrain. Doesnt mean you cannot ride it on rough terrain you just wont be able to keep up with suspension bikes and it will beat the hell out of you. But when I bought it new in the early 90's there were no suspension bikes and mt. biking was very very new to the mainstream.

I laugh when I think of the things I rode with this using traps - too many scars to count. now I use it as a backup bike or road bike. You can still do well on anything but rought rooty or rocky single track for sure. I just like the history and btw almost all the original stuff works like a champ.

Bonus is beating mates whom the bike is older than...

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by dzlexus a Weekend Warrior from Owings Mills, Maryland

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2011

Strengths:    Everything alrady listed. great bike. have two must sell his hers. Purchased $600 each

Weaknesses:    I do not have shocks. Not bad for all that riding. Very new bikes.

Bottom Line:
fantastic ride. Safe, great quality products and components, durable and comfortable

Favorite Trail:   Wisp

Submitted by gary a Weekend Warrior from detroit

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2011

Strengths:    frame,light,speed!

Bottom Line:
thank you, bike shop guy who 21 yrs ago needed money to fix his mustang! have been DRIVING this classic 89 ever since! even has stock tires and tubes! never part with her!

Similar Products Used:   giant

Bike Setup:   stock, except for seat

Submitted by Michael a Weekend Warrior from Orig. NY, living in Germany now..

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2008

Strengths:    Good frame, light, and strong.

Weaknesses:    no replaceable dropout(but hey, it's 13 yrs old)

Bottom Line:
Bought it in August of 1995 I believe. Went to get a 930, but there was a shortage so they said, 'Take the 7000(orig $800) for the 930's price'. It was my first MTB in High school, rode it pretty heavily then and in College. So for the 5 years I consistently rode it, it performed well and never really complained about anything, besides an occasional creaking from the bottom bracket/frame area.
I soon replaced the stock cranks which were Exage 48/38/28 I believe, with a set of LX cranks 42/32/22 & bottom bracket. With them a set of SPD's and I threw on the Psycho-k's. Between the pedals and the cranks, it was a different bike. Though I've barely ridden it in about 8 yrs, since getting married,kids, and moving, I had considered buying a newer Specialized stumpjumper or Gary Fisher Sugar. But I have this 7000 and don't want to part with it. So I may just refresh it, new tires, brakes, front suspension. Germany has an abundance of places to ride, and i'd like to take advantage of it this season.

Purchased At:   Carl Hart Bicycles(LI, NY)

Similar Products Used:   none, my first MTB

Bike Setup:   LX cranks, dryrotted Tioga Psycho-K tires

Submitted by Jesus Amador a Weekend Warrior from Naples FL USA

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2008

Strengths:    Strong frame, extremely reliable components even for a mid range bike stable easy to handle and light considering the size and xtras on bike

Weaknesses:    It is a bit harsh on rough terrain with no suspension, factory gel seat came with a warning label that it cannot get submerged in water or it would get damaged, c'mon its a mountain bike.( this is only on pre 90 mountain bikes that i recall.)

Bottom Line:
Bought bike new in 88-89 for under 1k though there where a lot of bikes to choose from i immediately fell in love with this bike. it is the black/white etching with green stickers. i have rode this bike at least 15,000 miles since i have owned it i used to ride about 10 miles a day to and from work. in all the time i owned it i replaced the wheel bearings, tires, gears adjusted and did brake pads, and that was about 9 years ago. so do i recommend this bike. I shure as hell do, in almost 20years of riding road and trail i only had to bring it in once for service. this is by far one of the most reliable and sturdy bikes i can ever own, granted a hard core biker would want to have some of the higher end components but since i do not do cross country riding i did not see the value in upgrading. besides its worked well for me. Only thing i might need to do soon is replace tires again. If you find a trek 7000 in decent shape BUY IT! you wont need another bike for a looong time.

Favorite Trail:   Mt Charelston LasVegas NV

Purchased At:   Trek Bike Store Miami FL

Similar Products Used:   honestly forgot, rode a few models but only the trek survived.

Bike Setup:   Matrix wheels, shimano lx 21spd components 7000 frame.

Submitted by yuenglingrider a Racer from pa

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2006

Strengths:    everything except shock

Weaknesses:    front shock

Bottom Line:
I bought the bike when I was 20 and rode/jumped the balls off it,this bike is well built and balanced.I am 31 now and back in the saddle again(after 5 years:( I am happy to be riding again and will not stop until I am unable.

Favorite Trail:   the toughest

Purchased At:   your mom

Similar Products Used:   univega,giant,cannondale

Bike Setup:   1997 trek 7000,now xt/xtr components,manitou mach 4 fork.

Submitted by Kirk a Weekend Warrior from Raleigh NC

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2006

Strengths:    Frame; Frame; and Frame

Weaknesses:    STX components

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike in 1993 when I was 14. This has been the only bike I have ever needed. I have raced it a few times, and I have riden this bike very hard. It has been off numerous jumps and I have wrecked many many times. This frame is light and very rigid. I have replaced all the components except the bottom bracket, rear wheel and hub. I would recommend this bike to anyone who wants a bike that can be riden hard and last more than 10 years.

Purchased At:   Bicycle Post

Similar Products Used:   First Mountain Bike and the only one I have needed since '93

Bike Setup:   LX crank and RD, XTR shifters, Rock Shox Mag 21 SL, STX FD and Brakes.

Submitted by Hiro a Racer from Australia

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2006

Strengths:    Awesome Frame. That's it.

Weaknesses:    no weaknesses. just old.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike in 1989 when I was a student.
so it's pretty much a classic bike (17 years old)
but it still goes well!! I really love this bike.
It's very rigid and easy to control.
no suspensions...no worries!

Purchased At:   Nagoya, Japan

Similar Products Used:   MONGOOSE, BRIDGESTONE.

Bike Setup:   Upgraded to 1st generation of XT components except cranks,BB and rear
brakes(sun tour XC pro).ACERBIS hand gards!

Submitted by Dennis Barberic a Weekend Warrior from Hudson, OH

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2005

Bottom Line:
I last reviewed this bike in 1999. The bike is a 1994 Trek 7000 which is more than 10 years old! Everything has been replaced but the frame. This frame rocks! I don't think it will ever break. The only downside is the non-replacable derailer hanger. But in 10 years and many crashes I have never bent it.

I don't know if the 2005 Trek quality is the same as a decade ago, but if it is, I'd recommend a Trek anyday.

Purchased At:   The Bike Club in Broadview Hts

Submitted by Josep Viñolas a Cross Country Rider from Barcelona, Spain

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2004

Strengths:    Frame, strong enough to be intact after so many crashes. So easy to controll downhill (specially if you go so quick!!).

Weaknesses:    Leak of front suspension (after so many years now I'm planning and upgrade)

Bottom Line:
This is the best bike I've ever ride. You can change anything but the frame: there is the strenght of this bike. Front suspension is a must have if you use it downhill: then it is one of the best trek bikes I've ever ridden.

Favorite Trail:   Mountains

Purchased At:   1990

Similar Products Used:   Other Trek bikes. I love them all!!!

Bike Setup:   Original one. Minor changes due to crashes (seat, wheel, chain, etc..)

Submitted by Richard Wun a Weekend Warrior from San Gabriel, CA

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2003

Strengths:    Light, strong, functional components, and reasonable price for the money. Strong rims that stay true ride after ride.

Weaknesses:    Needs better shock, shifters, and brakes than what comes with it.

Bottom Line:
This should be the last bike I will ever buy. It's light, stiff, and handles like a dream. Good mid-range
bike. But the components could be upgraded to full XT or better.

Favorite Trail:   Brown Mountain

Purchased At:   Bike Doctor

Similar Products Used:   Trek 9000 full suspension.

Bike Setup:   Scott 3T handlebar, upgraded to Manitou SX shocks w/ upgraded springs & elastomer. Tektro brake bar end lever extenders(modified). Rollamjig, carumba pulleys, and Post Modern shock seatpost w/ stiffest spring kit. Avids 1.0, LX shifter ft der, and XT rr der. Bontrager Corvair rims.

Submitted by Eric a Weekend Warrior from Wilmington

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2003

Strengths:    Frame, Frame and Frame!!!! I still have all the original components on the bike and it is still going strong!!!

Weaknesses:    No Replaceable Der. hanger- but this is a 1992 bike when replaceables weren't even a mind shot. Chromo front fork is heavy, along with chromo handlebars and stem. Threaded steerer.

Bottom Line:
This bike is 10 years old and the frame is still as straight and strong as the day I bought it!!!

Favorite Trail:   Middle Run

Purchased At:   Ski Den Sports, Johnstown PA

Similar Products Used:   Ross POS

Bike Setup:   dx front, lx rear, all other DX components. I am updating this bike to use as an XC racer so here goes the new setup:
XT front, XT rear, RaceFace Prodigy XC crankset and Evolve XC BB, Wellgo 801 Clipless pedals, Dia Compe AHeadset- threadless, Kore Elite bar and Stem, Rock Shox Duke Race Fork (3.3 lbs!!!), LX brakes, Bontrager seat with Kevlar sides, Mavic X-517 wheels with LX hubs, IRC Mythos XC tires with ultralight tubes, and a Thomson Elite seatpost. Should be a 21 lb hill killer!!!

Weaknesses:    Not much at all

Bottom Line:
I owned the Trek 7000 until a few months ago when I had to sell it because I moved. I don't know exactly what year it was, but I know it was from around 1992-94 or something. I really miss this bike because it was extremely light and strong. It was a fully ridgid bike w/ no suspension. I purchased it for $150 from my next door neighbor in the dorms and I got a steal on this bike!

What year is my bike? Trek 7000 Aluminum

I have searched, and searched with no luck. So, just like the title says, what year is this bike. [IMG]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a242/drvejeepdrnkbeer/IMG_5940.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a242/drvejeepdrnkbeer/IMG_5939.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i12.photobucket.com/ ... Read More »

Trek 7000 - good first bike?

Hi, this is my first post on these forums but I am no stranger to forums in general. Little intro: I'm 21 years old and live in howard county, maryland. I'm a college student applying to medical school this summer. I'm looking to get into mountain biking as something that I may enjoy enough to k ... Read More »

7000 miles of bike commuting since June 2008

Ok this is self congratulating... I celebrated my 7000 mile bike commuting milestone recently. What so special about 7000 miles you ask??? Well it is the calculated mileage I needed to ride to pay for my bike investment through gas savings bike commuting to work. So my Specialized Rockhopper 29er is ... Read More »

1998 Trek 7000 Good Starter Bike?

Hello everyone, I want to get into mountain biking and have been researching entry level bikes. I have looked at Specialized, Trek, and Schwinn so far. Most of the entry level bikes I am looking at are around 400.00. A friend just offered me his 1998 Trek 7000 for 200.00. Is this a good b ... Read More »