Trek 6000 Bike 1998 or Older

4.46/5 (92 Reviews)

Trek 6000

Submitted by Dave

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2012

Strengths:    This bike has gone the distance with me. I've had it 18 years and thought I wanted to buy a new bike. I cleaned it up, bought some new tubes and I wouldn't think of getting a new one. No point. All I need is a new saddle and she will easily last another 18. I'll be almost 70 by then. Good purchase all around.

Weaknesses:    Sometimes rough on the pavement with the knobbies, but it is still worth the rough to have them when you need them.

Bottom Line:
Love my Trek 6000. I bought her for the aluminum frame. I wanted a flex that was better than my old road bikes. My legs were too strong for the older frames and I could put a twist on a road bike climbing a hill. This was a great transition to get away from racing and it has gone the distance and still is rolling.

Submitted by andy barry a Downhiller from wheaton il usa

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2011

Strengths:    Great reliabily -still looks BAD.Will stay with most any of the new bikes.Easy shifting.Running with less nobby tires and that works great on the street on light off road-a little challenging off road.Overall a GREAT BIKE.Looked at buying a UTOPIA just today but "old reliable" might just keep me from buying it.

Weaknesses:    Cable tends to stretch.

Bottom Line:
One of the best bikes Trek ever came up with.

Favorite Trail:   BOULDER JUNCTION (WI)

Purchased At:   J and R CYLCE

Similar Products Used:   Trek 1500 racing bike

Bike Setup:   Switched the seat and put on wider pedals...The rest is stock

Submitted by Scott H a Weekend Warrior from Andover,MN

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2011

Strengths:    Great overall lightweight MB. Purchased it in I think 1994 and have enjoyed it every time I have jumped on. Have kept it tuned and greased and I think it may out live me. I would buy the same bike again.

Weaknesses:    I bit ridged however saddle it excellent.

Bottom Line:
Still looks and rides great after 17 years.

Favorite Trail:   Lakes

Purchased At:   Penn Cycle

Submitted by rob ehrsam a Weekend Warrior from philadelphia, pa, USA

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2011

Strengths:    15 years old and only tires, seat, and brakes have been replaced.

Weaknesses:    heavy rider for city streets

Bottom Line:
great bike after 15+ years of riding back trails, city streets, country roads

Favorite Trail:   broad street

Purchased At:   trek, joliet

Submitted by engineerpro18 a Weekend Warrior from oh, usa

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2011

Strengths:    Amazing Quality. Have had this bike since I was 13 years old and I just replaced the rear gear shift last year (2010).

Weaknesses:    If there is one, I haven't found it.

Bottom Line:
Probably the best bike for the money at the time of purchase. I am hesitant to even buy another bike considering that I just recently had to replace a shifter.

Favorite Trail:   metro parks

Purchased At:   1998

Bike Setup:   I have a seat post shock (installed 1999), I switched to some cruising tires (Installed 2004) instead of the standard mountain bike tires, plus ergo hand rests were just added last season (2010).

Submitted by Andy a Weekend Warrior from Wareham, UK

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2011

Strengths:    Great bike, nice components and fairly light. Handles well and can take so abuse, very nice suspention, brakes and DEORE shifters, it goes pretty fast.

Weaknesses:    Tyres are very thin, not very grippy, and continually punture, saddle offers very little compfort.

Bottom Line:
A great bike for anyone looking for just that little bit more than the average mountain bike. Apart from the two minor setbacks I have mentioned that can be rectified in a jiffy, its a definate hit!

Favorite Trail:   Wareham Forset

Purchased At:   Primera Sport

Similar Products Used:   Trek MT220

Bike Setup:   Hartail

Submitted by David Martin a Weekend Warrior from Moline, IL

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2010

Strengths:    The frame has not broken yet.

Weaknesses:    The componet quality is suspect. I am on my third chain in three years. I have had eight broken spokes. and now the high gear skips.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike to commute to work 2.8 miles one way. I have never been of the pavement with it. It is far too fragile a bike for me. The last chain snapped while riding up a hill, not vey much fun. I originally went looking for a police model since watching the police train by riding down steps led me to believe these were heavy duty bikes. The bike shop said the 6000 was equivalent. I feel that I really got screwed on this bike. My 38 year old Schwinn rolls better and turns sharper and I only had to replace the chain once after 6258 miles.

Favorite Trail:   Street, commuting

Purchased At:   Jerry & Sparky's

Similar Products Used:   This is only the second bike I have purchased. I still ride my 1972 Schwinn Varsiy whenever (too often) that the Trek is broken.

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by SMITHY092415 a Weekend Warrior from Weston Super Mare

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2010

Strengths:    all good strenghs

Weaknesses:    No Weaknesses

Bottom Line:
A OUTSTANDING BIKE GOT THIS TODAY AND RODE HOME 5 MILES AND IT FELT LIKE AMAZING , THE SUSPENSION ON AND OFF IS AMAZING

Favorite Trail:   Strawberry Line

Purchased At:   Bicycle Chain

Submitted by hptmatt a Cross Country Rider from Germatnwon, TN, USA

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2010

Strengths:    Pretty light, good components for the price, can take a beating (not for downhilling or freeriding though, as it is a hardtail)

Weaknesses:    Tires aren't very grippy

Bottom Line:
Great bike, can definitely take a beating from a beginner, or a more experienced rider. Handles well, and not too wide so you can get through those narrow parts on the trail. The stock tires kind of suck, and slide everywhere, but those are easy to upgrade, plus, you'll probably want to go tubeless pretty quickly anyway. This frame is built to last, so once you get more into it, put a dual air suspension fork, some SRAM X7 or X9 components (unless you switch everything at one time to Shiamno, but don't try to mix shimano and SRAM), and you've got one helluva bike.

Favorite Trail:   Stanky Creek (White)

Purchased At:   Peddler Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Specialized HR, Trek 4500

Bike Setup:   SRAM X5 triggers, rear and front derailleurs, Bontrager Ranger Rims, shimano hubs, SRAM 9 speed 11-34 cassette

Submitted by nick 6000 a Weekend Warrior from pa

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2009

Strengths:    Avid disk brakes, rock shock dart 3 fork with lock out, shram shifters, 9 speed set up, looks of the bike,

Weaknesses:    seat

Bottom Line:
The 2009 trek 6000 is one sweet bike. It really blows my old 3700 out of the water. It is extremly comfortable, and its really fast compared to my old 3700. (you had to kill yourself pedalling to get that thing to move out of its own way.) I like the way i am positioned on the bike. I dont feel stretched out and i feel alot more confident going over any trail obsticale. The avid disk brakes perform awesome even in wet conditions. The rock shock dart 3 front fork has a lock out so you can fly without boucing up and down on the road. I love the double under shram shifters. The bikes shifts are quick and firm, without any lock ups. The bike is by far one of the sharpest looking bikes out there. (i love the matte black/grey.) The trek 6000 is a very solid, fast, and comfortable bike that can take a beating. My only complaint is that the seat is a little un comfortable. I would recomend this bike to an intermediate trail rider.

Favorite Trail:   bear creek

Purchased At:   bike line

Similar Products Used:   trek 3700

Bike Setup:   18.5 inch

Submitted by christian eggers a Cross Country Rider from grass lk, mi

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2009

Strengths:    great components, excellent frame geometry, light weight, very responsive.

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
buy this bike. it far surpassed my expectations, climbs like a mountain goat, and the sram group is insanely smooth.

Favorite Trail:   potto

Purchased At:   aberdeen bike and fi

Similar Products Used:   iron horse, haro, diamondback

Submitted by maxiebear a Cross Country Rider from wrexham ,Wales

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2009

Strengths:    Extremely light but tough.

Weaknesses:    crap centrepull brakes

Bottom Line:
Paid $100 dollars secondhand.WoW,awesome bike for the price.Runs real quick,great turn in and grip from continental tyres and very low weight.A few years old now ,so no discs but will upgade in the next couple of months.I love this bike!Smooth and silent,lovely set up.

Favorite Trail:   LLandegla

Purchased At:   secondhand

Similar Products Used:   Giant

Bike Setup:   21 speed ,shimano gears,matrix bars,continental race king protection tyres.

Submitted by mtn road a Cross Country Rider from Ferndal, WA

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2009

Strengths:    durability, flexibility

Weaknesses:    saddle, tires

Bottom Line:
Bought new in 2000 and haven't looked back after ~4000 km. T990 and others have fallen by the wayside. Admittedly harder ride, since adding panaracers have been usings as road trainer 40 - 60k in more comfort than 5200 road; After years of trail beatings, not sure I could snap it with a jackhammer but still supple enough to feel like bike 2x the cost. won't look back

Favorite Trail:   the muddy one

Similar Products Used:   too many to name

Bike Setup:   panaracer trail blazers on stock rims, p/t tri bars

Submitted by SuperChicken a Cross Country Rider from Prescott, Az

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2009

Strengths:    I bought my Trek 6000 new in 2000 because of Trek's reputation for tough bikes. My bike has had no trouble living up to this reputation as it is now running for it's 9th year.

Weaknesses:    Now that the bike has been abused for nine years on some technical trails, it now needs the whole drivetrain replaced. I just had the rear shifter replaced due to its inability to downshift. Good luck finding anything that will hold up so well for so long with my kind of abuse. The stock Manitou Magnum does not have damping which is a shame, but acceptable at the price point.

Bottom Line:
This is a seriously tough bike. Now that the cogs, chain, and freehub are worn, I can upgrade it to nine speed, put an Avid Single Digit 7 on the back (no disc brake bosses), put a decent fork on, and maybe an Avid Juicy up front. I will keep the frame for many years to come!

Similar Products Used:   Mongoose D50i (rat bike), only lasted three months with broken bottom bracket, cassette, and suspension.

Bike Setup:   Stock except Specialized grips, Specialized BG saddle, Panaracer tires, Kool Stop brake pads, and Shimano SPD pedals

Submitted by ratdog a Weekend Warrior from indianapolis

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2009

Strengths:    Love it love it love, I am loosing weight I weigh a lot to I mean I am fat!

This bike is strong fast and the gears change iwth precision.

And yes I bought it today for $10 at a flee market I am not kidding! I got to looking at and thought it seemed like one of those pro expensive bikes, and OMG the prices people have baid for this bik $500 to $1000, holly crap I just hit the jack pot!

Weaknesses:    After seeing what I got for $10 there are no weaknesses!

Bottom Line:
$10 OMG any bike is good for $10, but dam I can seel it and buy a car!

Favorite Trail:   warren woods