Team Marin Bike old Bike 1998 or Older

4.42/5 (43 Reviews)

Team Marin

Submitted by Chris a Cross Country Rider from Germany

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2001

Strengths:    Lightweight, stiff frame,
superior handling

Bottom Line:
I ride my Marin Team for almost 8 years now (38000km) and it is still a joy. The frame is a phenomenon, it´s hard and reacts as it is merely unused... I´ve got no suspension, but a Kona Project2 fork, which suits the frame very well. The ´93 frame is made of Tange´s triple butted Ultimate ultralight, ultrastrong tubing. I still love that bike and got no clue how to replace it, when it´s necessary...
I think of it as a budget version of the old Yo Eddy!

Similar Products Used:   Stumpjumper
Yo Eddy!

Bike Setup:   Kona Project2 fork
Syncros post and stem
Suntour xc/pro pedals
Shimano xtr/xt

Submitted by Juan Pablo Yanez a Cross-Country Rider from Santiago, Chile

Date Reviewed: December 10, 1999

Strengths:
Shifting system, frame an fork.
Climbing is great, same with climbing.
Steel is on!

Weaknesses:
seatpost, seatpost clamp.
pedals.

Bottom Line:
Grat deal. Cross country racing ready. Fair weight. Marin is after all these years still improving it craft. Well, my first bike was a 1992 Pine Mountain.

Rocky descents

3 months

GT Avalanche, Trek 8000

Team Marin/ Manitou SX-R

Submitted by Mike a Racer from Northville, MI

Date Reviewed: July 27, 1999

Strengths:
Price point(especially with employee purchase) great looks, awesome fork, smooth ride, steel is real!

Weaknesses:
a little heavy (26 lbs stock 17.5) needs longer seatpost, QR seatpost stock, DT shifter cable routing

Bottom Line:
THe smooth Columbus steel takes me through the bumps faster than my old Easton steed. I finish the day fresher. Climbs well, handles smooth and predictable, but needs to shed a few lbs. I love the adjustability of the manitou fork, although in Michogan the most plush setting is all you need, there are no big hits here.

anything with good hard climbs

less than 1 month

Kona Mountain Shock (96 Easton elite)

great stock tires, would swap seatpost, bar, stem, bar ends, tubes, rim strips, build lighter 28 spoke front wheel

Submitted by Volki a Racer from Austria

Date Reviewed: June 16, 1999

Strengths:
Good components

Weaknesses:
too soft frame, too soft suspension fork

Bottom Line:
I quite love it, although I've already had some troubles with it. Thank you!

1 Year

Submitted by jack e a Weekend Warrior from jejjerson, iwoa

Date Reviewed: May 24, 1999

Strengths:
speed

Weaknesses:
height

Bottom Line:
ppu

pax

less than 1 month

cannondale

Submitted by Aaron Yancey a racer from Nashville, TN

Date Reviewed: February 25, 1999

Bottom Line:

I have the 1998 Team Marin, and couldn't have bought a better bike for the price, with its quad-butted frame, XTR-XT component mix, and Mavic rims. I would advise putting a little more money into the bike and replace the stock handlebar, stem, and seatpost. Beside that, this is an excellent, light, cross- crountry racer. I couldn't be happier with my steel steed. Now, quit reading and go ride!

Submitted by Adam Schneider a racer from Trinidad Ca

Date Reviewed: January 22, 1999

Bottom Line:

I have a 1998 Marin B-17, and I would just like to say neiner neiner neir to all aL of you that dont have one yet. I can take 10 foot drops like there not there the suspension works great, they did a great job. the Buckleys rule.

Submitted by sam manges a racer from aurora

Date Reviewed: January 7, 1999

Bottom Line:

its ok because it is a marin it may not be the best one they made but it still has marin name. i hope that marin spanks them this year at all the races.

Submitted by DAVE MOSS a weekend warrior from PHX ARIZONA

Date Reviewed: December 20, 1998

Bottom Line:

BOUGHT A FRS TEAM DH 1998 MODEL AND I'M RIDING MORE@ MORE OFTEN AND BETTER THAN EVER I DON'T MIND TELLING YOU I HAVE RODE EVERY BIKE IN THIS ONES CLASS PLEASE KEEP UP THE GREAT JOB
ONE LAST CHUCKLE MY BUDDY'S I RIDE WITH HAVE BRANDED ME
TEAM HALLOWEEN [BIKE COLORS]
DAVE

Submitted by Stephen F. Siegel a cross-country rider from Florence, Alabama 35633

Date Reviewed: December 19, 1998

Bottom Line:

I recently purchased the 99 Team Marin and was very much impressed on the overall geometry and design. Handling is great and new 9 speed gear ratio surounded by full up XT componants makes this machine a two thumbs up piece of equipment. It is very light weighing in at 25 lbs along with the new tubular design makes it very strong. I am very happy with my New Team Marin.
Eat your heart out Trek.

Submitted by Charlotte Williams (Pat Smiths Sister) a weekend warrior from Montmorenci, SC

Date Reviewed: November 19, 1998

Bottom Line:

This is nice! Please send me catalog. I don't think I am ready for this. I just got a pair of rollerblades. My address is P>O> Box 334 Montmorenci, SC 29839. Please tell Patrick Smith his sister said Hello and Happy Birthday Little brother I love you.

Submitted by Danny Nurse a cross-country rider from Vienna, ME

Date Reviewed: October 24, 1998

Bottom Line:

I bought a '98 Marin Nail Trail about 1 1/2 months ago and it is the best bike I have ever owned.Before my Marin I had a GT.My bike is very popular at school.Everyone compliments it.My friend is planning on buying a NailTrail next year.This bike is downright awesome!!!I think everyone should by one.

Submitted by andy dare devil harrison a downhiller from uk

Date Reviewed: October 22, 1998

Bottom Line:

i have just goy a new mt vision pro this month i have just rode it down mt snowdon i think its pretty shit compared to the raliegh m trax 400 which is a lot cheaper than the marin the xtr gears cassette and breaks are great but the frame is heavy and not that strong the suspension is crap compared to the m traxs rock shox sids and rear smart shock this bike is bull shit and goes slowr than my 89 yr old dad

Submitted by BobSmith from weekend warrior

Date Reviewed: October 15, 1998

Bottom Line:

This bike is worth millions!!! I've beaten all my mates, and they think it's brilliant!! With a few minor alterations, this bike could win Bike of the Year 1998!!! Rain, sun or snow, this is the bike to have! Grip! Style! Bump-crunching! Smooth! Fast! Get this bike now, and I mean now!!!

Submitted by Kirk Wallace a weekend warrior from Marin County California

Date Reviewed: September 20, 1998

Bottom Line:

I owned a Marin Rocky Ridge model for three years which including some extreamly hard riding in Moab which tortures bikes. It was a great deal at $600 on sale. Over the years I eventualy upgraded most of the LX parts to XT or XTR with a Marzocchi shock. The original aluminum frame performend well and took some hard riding (and crashing) until it finally developed a small crack at the rear seat stays. Marin stood by their life time warenty and offered to replace the frame with one of equal or higher value. They evetulaly agreed to give me a huge discount on a team titanium frame. The team issue is the nicest hard tail I have ever riden and is far supperior in ride comfort to any aluminum frame. It is very light (3 llbs) and just seems to love climbing hills and shreding single track. Marin really stands by their product and seems to offer good value for what ever amount you want to spend. Nice folks too.

Will Marin Mountvision fit my 15-year old Thule bike carrier?

Hi all, A friend has rented a Marin Mountvision in SF. I am supposed to pick him up tomorrow morning before a ride. My old fork-mount roof bike carrier has trouble with certain newer disk brake calipers. (For example, it does not accept a 29" Specialized hard-tail of another friend.) Do you ... Read More »