Specialized Stumpjumper Bike Bike 1998 or Older

4.55/5 (390 Reviews)

Specialized Stumpjumper M2 FS Comp

Submitted by Alain a Cross Country Rider from Quebec, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2009

Strengths:    It's light, very responsive. Great climber.

Weaknesses:    As a hardtail, I find no weakness to the frame.

Bottom Line:
Every year I tell myself, now is the time to move to the next step: dual suspension. All my friends have made the move and yet they are still lagging behind when it comes to climb and even on descent I can still match them. This bike gives me the same level of confidence in descent as their full suspension. Of course in long, very technical descent it can't compete with today's dual suspension bike but then after the descent, this bike takes back the lead.
I don't think that any of my next bikes will live that long and give me that much satisfaction

Favorite Trail:   St-Emile

Purchased At:   ABC Montreal

Bike Setup:   Shimano derailleur and sram shifters (not the best setup). Judy XC. Actually only the frame and one shifter have survived after 12 years. Everything else had eventually broken down.

Submitted by renegaderains a Cross Country Rider from Eugene, Oregon-ish

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2008

Strengths:    Strong, light and very durable. Also I love the geometry of the 94-96 area cromo stumpys

Weaknesses:    The older than 94' cromo models are heaver and lack modern fork compatibility.

Bottom Line:
I've ridden stump jumpers for a long time and really like them. I only ride the cromo ones because I ride on gravel and pavement a lot. Alloy frames on gravel really stink! The best model years seem to be 94-96 cromo frame and 99 and up alloy frames. There were problems with the early alloy frames cracking. All of this means nothing if you don't beat the tar out of your bike. "Dammit Jim!, it's a cross county bike not a dirt jumper." Really though stumpjumpers are a great used bike buy.

Purchased At:   Collins cycle shop

Similar Products Used:   early 90's stumpjumper, 93 hardock, 94 mongoose amplifier, 2003 hard rock, 07 Blur LT and my new project a 96' cromo stumppy!

Submitted by Schwinng a Weekend Warrior from So. Pasadena, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2008

Strengths:    This is my 2nd Stumpy, a 17" frame in a non-metallic "royal blue" color. I bought it from a good friend of mine just today and rode Aliso Woods on it this morning. I owned my other Stumpy about 10 years ago, when I was around 40 years old. The jarringly stiff frame feels even more jarring now at 50 years old, but it sure does pay off in terms of climbing efficiency. And, this bike has always provided an extremely balanced ride in terms of predictability on the trail and the rider's position in its cockpit. It handles just about any trail situation with very nice manners, and can be pushed pretty hard. It is very lightweight without even trying (upgrading components can result in a super-light hardtail with very little $ or difficulty). You still see some vintage Stumpys out there, which is just a testament to how durable these little hardtails can be. It came stock with a 11-30 rear 8-speed cassette, but I'm going to see if I can find an 11-32 to save my knees a bit on really steep ascents. The front chain rings are your typical 22-32-42. The Manitou "Pro" fork has stacks of elastomer bumpers, which still work pretty well to this day, but which needs some grease as the bike's been sitting in my bud's garage for quite some time. It comes with Specialized brand tires, which were very good in the traction and cornering depts., but which even when deflated to about 25 PSI still provided a very harsh ride down technical rock bed descents -- I'm also going to see about some better padded grips because my hands were killing me during and after today's 3 hour ride.

Weaknesses:    None really. Great balanced ride and handling, predictable, super-stiff frame is jarring, but makes this bike an incredibly efficient climber (more important to me these days), components are just fine ... no complaints at all.

Bottom Line:
Great, classic hardtail with very predictable and nice manners on the trail regardless of trail conditions. Very stiff frame resulting in outstanding climbing prowess, but a very jarring ride on very rocky terrain -- I'm going to experiment with different tires over the next few months to find one that'll take some off some of the sting on fast technical DH (rocky) sections, but which does not compromise climbing and cornering strengths. Very lightweight with std. components; can probably drop 2-3 pounds (to 22-23 lbs.) without much effort. A great hardtail that's never out of style - even vintage, retro models look/are cool.

Favorite Trail:   El Caballero->Sullivan Cyn->Westridge in Santa Monica Mtns

Purchased At:   good friend

Similar Products Used:   This is my 2nd Stumpy. My 1st was mis-sized -- too small (15"). Haro Escape 4.0 rode similar to this bike, except its ride was less jarring, but it was also a less capable climber than the Stumpy and didn't have as much of a nice, balanced ride/handling. 1996 Mongoose IBOC Comp felt like a heavier version of the Stumpy, but naturally didn't have as lively a feel on the trails and was a much less capable climber.

Bike Setup:   LX front der., XT rear der., Avid 1.9 brake levers and V-brakes, LX shifters, Manitou Pro elastomer bumper fork, Specialized brand crankset (22-32-42), Shimano rear cassette (11-30), Specialized brand stem (switched out today with a Race Face), I switched platform pedals with my old Wellgo clipless pedals, Mavic 238 rims, LX rear hub, Specialized front hub with radial lacing, M2 metal matrix composite 17" frame in royal blue color,

Submitted by Jonathan Maddock a Cross Country Rider from Wolfeboro, NH, USA

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2008

Strengths:    steel Direct Drive frame. Indestructable. Future Shock (Mag 21, branded for Specialized) is a very strong design.

Weaknesses:    OEM seatpost was a wet noodle. Bent two of them. LX 7-speed was OK, but currently use XT/XTR mix. Much better.

Bottom Line:
1993 Stumpy, steel Direct Drive frame with Future Shock fork. Wonderful. Transitioning from road bikes, I started mountain biking with this, and haven’t stopped. The Future Shock is actually still working, but I’m taking a pre-emptive move and replacing it with a SID Race for this next season.

Over the years I have replaced/upgraded almost every component on this bike, but the frame has been perfect for my XC adventures. I still use V-brakes. After the shock replacement, the only items left as original on the bike will be the seat post quick-release and the handlebar.

Bikes like this keep you young.

Favorite Trail:   #6 roads (unmaintained)

Purchased At:   The Pedalist, Red Bank, NJ

Similar Products Used:   Nothing. My first and only.

Bike Setup:   XT V-brakes, cranks, rear derailure, shifter/levers (8-spd), XTR Chain Rings & Front Derailure. Mavic Rims. White Bros front hub, Nashbar & Performance rear hub (two wheels), Control Tech seat post & bar ends. Switching to 2008 SID Race fork (it's silver, just like the old Future Shock...good karma?) Don't know about the new headset & stem yet.

Submitted by tom a Weekend Warrior from York ME

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2007

Strengths:    i have a 1996 stumpjumper m2 fs 18" and a m2 comp 17" being shipped.its a great bike, ive ridden many of many mtbs and not one has compared to my stumpjumpers.

Weaknesses:    this question is crazy...anyone reading this knows theres not a weakness.

Bottom Line:
buy one if you want to have a solid, dependable and fast machine.... but dont buy any 17" frames until i find one for myself;)

Favorite Trail:   Gunstock Mountain NH

Purchased At:   private sale

Similar Products Used:   1990 cannondale sm600
a few gt's and some treks and some other crappy rides

Bike Setup:   all stock xt for now except for Rockshox mag 21s. this will be slightly changed in a month or so.

Submitted by tom a Weekend Warrior from York ME

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2007

Favorite Trail:   Gunstock Mountain NH

Purchased At:   private sale

Similar Products Used:   1990 cannondale sm600
a few gt's and some treks and some other crappy rides

Submitted by Josh Sherman from Fort Lee, NJ USA

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2007

Strengths:    Dusty & unused with big spiders - there in Bob's garage - soon to be third hand - was my Black SJ M2 FS, this bike is great, talk about getting hooked - runs so smooth - shifts great - light - looks cool too. I would like to know how you tell how what year it is?

Weaknesses:    well .... not many - i did shear the bottom backet and lived - replaces it with an LX outside bearing crank with 48 teeth (?) up from 44 to go faster - the XT derailers worked - the book said it might not - i have an 8 x 3 speed, the metal bracket that holds the rear derailed to the frame is bad - i was told to rivit it back because the stock fasteners failed ? The first owner didn't have a car - i know this bike has mucho miles - unreal.

Bottom Line:
Anyone looking to own a good bike should locate an SJ M2 FS or newer model (look for yuppie surplus) and you will be very happy - my local bike shop serviced the Xray Grip Shifters - lubed and new TS and the regular grips - I tell anyone looking for a hardtail - go M2 SJ FS if you can find one.

Favorite Trail:   Greenway NYC

Purchased At:   Bob's garage

Similar Products Used:   none - but did just buy a 2006 Tarmac - 105 group - killer too!

Bike Setup:   Judy Rock Shock - funny gold/olive color, Shimano XT hubs & whhels, Deore XT brakes & derailers, Avid brake levers (are these originals?), Twist grip X-Ray shifters - this was a NYC bike with a narrow straight bar and with the twist shift it banged on my right elbow so i bought an Easton Monkey Bar and Salsa Stem - got me up and out a bit - no more elbow problem. New Avoset tires with an inverted tread to roll easy for my 26 mile RT commute to 37th and 5th Ave NYC. I just love the bike, paid $235 and then $400 for the new drive train - LX crank, XT chain and XT cluster - having about $1000 into the bike - i love it - I think it is a 1995 or 1996?

How do i tell what year this is??

Submitted by Josh Sherman from Fort Lee, NJ USA

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2007

Favorite Trail:   Greenway NYC

Purchased At:   Bob's garage

How do i tell what year this is??

Submitted by george a Racer from pa

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2006

Strengths:    ATTENTION!!! i am sellin my specialized stumpjumper ... i believe its a 98'. i rode it 2 times and just put on rock shox j4...bontrager race handlebars..LX components..v-brakes..new rims and tires..rides great..the suspenioin has a remote lock out which you can turn the suspenion off with a flick of a click and turn it back on with a push of a button

Weaknesses:    if you are intrested in this bike and to see pictures of it please e - mail me any question that you might have at
george_leuschel@alltel.net

Bottom Line:
no dents or cracks...a few scratches but nothing major after all its a mountain bike...new rims,forks,brakes,chains and cables,handlebars,rear derailer and cassette...rode a few times and took care of very will please email me at
george_leuschel@alltel.net...excellent race bike for all you people who like to fly up hills on a hard tail and it handles the downhills very nicely i must say!!! Make me an offer

Submitted by Thomas Walton a Weekend Warrior from Deltona, FL USA

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2006

Strengths:    Frame, and components which are XT Rear and LX front.

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike and I paid only a $150 for it from a pawn shop. I can't believe they didn't realize what they had. Everything works and the ride is great. Reminds me of my 1986 Jamis Dakota.

Bike Setup:   believe its a 1997 M2 Frame, with orginal XT and LX derailers and LX shifters

Submitted by The Roc a Cross Country Rider from Kamloops, BC

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2005

Strengths:    Takes a lickin and keeps on tickin. This bike is old school like old school was meant to be.... climbs better than any partial or full suspension bike out there.... above the bar index/friction thumb shifters!

Weaknesses:    I tacoed the original Specialized rims within the first month. The Specialized bottom bracket was an odd size and had to be re-machined to accept an XT upgrade 2 years after I bought it. The 16" frame I have only came with a BB mounted U-Brake.

Bottom Line:
This bike has seen me through 16 summers of not-so-hard to really gnarly XC riding and probably 40 thousand+ miles.

Between weekends out on the trail it has a set of 26x1.25 skinnies mounted between the stays. I throw some studded tires on in the winter and it becomes my snow commuter. In addition, it has towed my son in a trailer, trail-a-bake and with a bungie strap as he has progressively grown older.

I have a two year old Devinci Deore LX hanging in my basement with less than 100 miles on it. I've demoed new bikes and been on a lot of friend's top end newer bikes but I keep coming back to this one. I'll admit that I probably lose most of the time I gain on those sweet uphill climbs with the sans-suspension-fork teeth chattering downhills but there ain't no new school like the old school.

10 flamers for this classic rock and roll original.

Favorite Trail:   any hardpack XC

Purchased At:   Banff Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Klein Attitude, Rocky Mountain Blizzard, a whole lot of new school XC bikes.

Bike Setup:   It was all XT when I bought it new except for the rims and BB... and they were the first things to fail... go figure. Totally rebuilt the bike about 3 years ago. Retained the OE XT: front canti, seat post, ATB thumbshifters, crank, front deraileur, headset, brake levers as well as the OE Selle saddle. Still have the swap-out Wolber rims (replacements for the tacoed OE Specialized). Replaced everything else with XT components (upgraded from 7-8spd at the same time), except the chain rings (Race Face), and the U-Brake (road campy... because I couldn't find an original XT U-brake.... thinking of testing out a Cane Creek Direct Curve down there or reconfiguring the braze-ons and routing to the rear seat stay)

Submitted by Phil Benton from San Diego

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2005

Strengths:    Too long to list.

Weaknesses:    None. (some would say the low bb, but I think that actually helps the handling of the bike)

Bottom Line:
Feel compelled to say something as this site has helped me considerably in the last few months looking for a replacement.

Seeing as how my bike has gone through 10 years of riding -- well over 5k miles & 3 yrs of racing AND is still ridable on the original components must say something.

After test riding over 15 bikes I decided to stay w/ my 94 SJ and upgrade to a new rear wheel, xt drivetrain, 9 speed gs, v brakes and a sid -- we'll see how it all works out. Just don't think you can find a more balanced, flat-out xc bike for anywhere near the price of the SJ. Wails on DH as well...have taken it up the lifts at mammoth and big bear.

Would recommend anybody on a tight budget looking for a quick, reliable ht to hunt an M2/M4 down.

Favorite Trail:   Any

Purchased At:   UC Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Too many to list.

Bike Setup:   1994 M2 Stumpjumper, mag21 sl/ti, onza HO brakes, nuke proof wheels, rest of the shimano comp are original.

Submitted by Roddy Macdonald a Cross Country Rider from Edinburgh, UK

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2005

Strengths:    Great bike, had loads of bikes over the years, this is the 1st with suspension forks. Was mtb'ing back in the day when girvin flex stem was something special :-) Is that possible?

Weaknesses:    None I can think of. Except breaking the SLR seat after crushing my nads on a tripple. So now with a 20 quid selle italia XO, and can't really fault it.

Bottom Line:
If you can find one in really nice nick, with good level of components out there, then grab it, it is bound to be one of the best bikes you could get your hands on for the money. I think that since disk has become the standard that everyone wants, there is an awfull lot of very tasty bikes out there that are suddenly affordable. I got my 22 lbs bike for a bargain 400 quid. And if you want the brakes to perform, put the cash you saved with the V's into some ceramic rims.

Favorite Trail:   innerleithen

Purchased At:   off a mate of a mate

Similar Products Used:   closest quaility bike I had was a reynolds 653 custom framed bike mtb in the early 90's
Also had shots of mates bikes like proflex full sus, epic and M4 stumpy. All of which were nice, but I have a soft spot for my M2...

Bike Setup:   Stumpy M2 of 98 vintage with Mavic crossmax, race face stem and seat post, full XT kit with V's, DMR's after giving up with Time atacs and SID race that was tunned by tim flooks with the very fancy unseen ti bolts on the bottom. All very nice and supplied by the previous owner.

Submitted by SeaN a Cross Country Rider from Long Island, NY

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2004

Strengths:    Tank. Great stock parts, light, shes my baby

Weaknesses:    uhhh, gotta replace tubes every so often?

Bottom Line:
I've ridden this bike hard since 1997. Had to replace the rear derallieur after I got a nasty root caught on the XT. Tires are still good after 7 years.(if you stay off the road and the dirts soft, no need to replace) Didnt want to change cantis to V's, but had to cause of new fork.... I love the bike, might just give her new wheels next year as a present, although not exactly necessary.

Favorite Trail:   Stillwell Woods, Makamah

Purchased At:   Bike Lot

Similar Products Used:   Raleigh M20...

Bike Setup:   1997 Stumpjumper A1 FS, 03' Marzocchi Marathon 105, Avid V's and levers, Time ATAC carbon fiber pedals. Rest is stock

Submitted by Cyrille Early a Cross Country Rider from columbia,SC

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2003

Strengths:    Sweet ride! I am glad that I got the Comp so I didn't have to go right out and replace everything right away. It all worked

Weaknesses:    No weaknesses other than Seat ripped first week!

Bottom Line:
Sweet ride! I am glad that I got the Comp so I didn't have to go right out and replace everything right away. I recomend this bike to anyone that wants a hard tail. BUT please get the COMP model so you have good parts to start with! Otherwise it just kept going and going and going...... and still goes!

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   An old hardrock.... Now a 2002 FSR Stumpy Comp!

Bike Setup:   1997 M2 Matrix Stumpjumper Comp Hard tail, Judy XC shock Avid rim wrangler brakes,

For Sale:NEW 2013 SPECIALIZED S - WORKS STUMPJUMPER CARBON 29 XTR Bike ......$4,000

WELCOME TO SAMTECH BIKES LTD. OUR COMPANY PROMO IS ON!!!! We are liquidating our 2007,2008,2009 ,2010 and 2011 stock and we giving out big discounts now!!! BUY 4 BICYCLES AND GET ONE FREE!!! OFFER VALID WHILE STOCK LAST. SO HURRY NOW! THE SAMTECH BIKE ... Read More »

Which bike to buy??? Demo or Stumpjumper FSR

[COLOR=#333333]Okay so, I am just getting in to the sport of MTB, I have rode dirt bikes for years and I need a little advice. I live in southern MO where there is a lot of Singletrack and XC. There are a few DH trails but mostly the other two. That is why I would get the StumpjumperFSR. I am going ... Read More »

Which bike to buy??? Demo or Stumpjumper FSR

Okay so, I am just getting in to the sport of MTB, I have rode dirt bikes for years and I need a little advice. I live in southern MO where there is a lot of Singletrack and XC. There are a few DH trails but mostly the other two. That is why I would get the StumpjumperFSR. I am going to start going ... Read More »

Taking a dip in a FS bike opinions? Giant Trance X 29er 0, Stumpjumper FSR Elite

I've ridden a old hardrock for the last 8 years and I finally decided to start shopping for a new FS bike. Since it's near the end of the 2013 product life cycle I can get a really good price on a Trance X and a Stumpjumper FSR elite. The FSR elite was 100 more. Comparing the two it seems the ... Read More »

For Sale: 1982 Specialized Stumpjumper Mountain Bike Bicycle 20"

[B]The Ebay ad:[/B] [url=http://www.ebay.com/itm/161047747915]1982 Specialized Stumpjumper Mountain Bike Bicycle 20" | eBay[/url] [B]1982 Specialized Stumpjumper 20"[/B] For sale: 1982 Specialized Stumpjumper 20". Serial suggests a July 82 build. Overall condition is ok, say a 6-7 of 10 conditi ... Read More »