Specialized S-Works Bike Bike 1998 or Older

4.82/5 (114 Reviews)

Specialized S-Works

Submitted by J. Livingston a Weekend Warrior from Midland, Texas, USA

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2010

Strengths:    I've owned my M2 S-Works Team Edition since it came out, I bought it new. It is light, easy to handle and has taken everything presented to it without a breakdown. This is a great bike for the weekend warrior to the hardcore off-roader. This is the bike Net Overend rode to a number of World Championships. Enough said!

Weaknesses:    None come to mind.

Bottom Line:
A rare and terrific bike!

Submitted by Hexen a Cross Country Rider from Alexandria, VA USA

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2008

Strengths:    This bike hands down is awesome. Its light, fast, and good looking. Its perfect for single track ,fire roads and the daily commute. The way I have it setup currently it weighs in at 20lbs. Best of all the bike is autographed by Ned Overend and its Neon GREEN!

Bottom Line:
The way this bike is set up it weighs about 20lbs. Mavic crosstrail wheels for off road and a Crossride for commuting. I am running 26x1.0 tires for commuting and 26x1.3 cyclcross tires for off road. I really enjoy the rigid set up it works very well on this bike. I would recommend this frame to anyone looking for a great hardtail. It took years of nagging my coworker to sell it to me and he still regrets selling it.

Favorite Trail:   Rosearyville

Purchased At:   From CoWorker Spokes

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager Hardtail
Seven Sola Steel

Bike Setup:   XT 9 front and rear, SLX crankset, Sram Rocket 9 grip shift, XTR brakelevers, 09 XT v brakes, 3t Mutant Stem, Icon graphite bars, Titanium bar ends, ,Crank Bros headset, ,Mavic Crosstrail Wheelset, Windwood Rigid carbon fork, Specialized Indie saddle, and the only original part the Ritchey Seatpost.

Submitted by chris from flagstaff

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2007

Strengths:    stiff, light, strong, nimble, great climber

Weaknesses:    can only run a 2.1 rear, big 2.1s barely fit

Bottom Line:
Where do I start? This is an amazing bike, cross-country, touring, log crossings, commuting, whatever, it works for all of it.

Favorite Trail:   sunset

Similar Products Used:   not much compares to this ride

Bike Setup:   full xtr, 2001 80mm bomber marathon air fork, 22.7 pounds.

Submitted by Brian McMillan a Cross Country Rider from Oakland, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2006

Strengths:    Arguably the greatest off the rack race frame ever built. Smooth ride, light, fast climber and stable down hills. Unreal on singletrack.

Weaknesses:    Haven't found any yet.

Bottom Line:
Found this bike on craigslist in '03. It had sat in this guys garage for six years only ridden on the road and on fire trails for a grand total of about 200 miles. He even threw in a pair of Specialized Fatboys (really skinny slicks) with tubes for free. My all time dream bike purchased at essentially 75% off. I was laughing as I rode the bike to my car after the purchase until I flipped over the handlebars from hitting the XT v-brakes, good times.

Favorite Trail:   lake chabot loop

Purchased At:   craigslist.org

Similar Products Used:   '97 Kona Hot, Reynolds 853 (stolen out of car)

Bike Setup:   Stock, all XT except for XTR rear derailleur, Ritchey everything else (love the steel seatpost, absorbs bumps), Manitou SX Ti forks (kept lubed and filled with oil), Salsa seat (comfy)

Submitted by Ben from Auckland, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2005

Strengths:    Climbs like a dream, really responsive,great handling.

Weaknesses:    Really Stiff...pretty unforgiving.

Bottom Line:
Brilliant frame, has showed me the light of hardtails, if you have the chance to get one take it. M2 material is great, so stiff it's not funny. Buy it if you want to go very fast... but not if you have back problems.

Purchased At:   TradeMe (NZ ebay)

Similar Products Used:   Fuji Tahoe

Bike Setup:   Specialized S-Works M2 '98 Frame, A-Class 24-spoke wheels, Full XTR except shifters (LX is lighter). Raceface Ride XC Cranks, Easton EA50 handlebars, Thomson Elite stem, RockShox SID Team '04 80mm forks. Avid Ball Bearing Disc front, Avid Arch Rival V on rear. Sram hollowpin chain and PG-990 cassete, Selle Italia Octavia Saddle, Wellgo Mg pedals etc (i could go on forever)

Submitted by Ben a Cross Country Rider from rio rancho, nm, usa

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2004

Strengths:    This bike is light, it handles well, great frame, great components, rapid fire shifters

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
I have had this bike for 8 years now and I could honestly say that I love it. I ride 4 or 5 days a week every week and have done that for years and this bike still rocks! Yes, I could buy a new bike but why? This bike still rocks and I keep up with everyone I ride with on this one. Wouldn't even think of getting rid of it.

Purchased At:   albuquerque bicycle

Submitted by dave a Cross Country Rider from santa barbara

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2003

Strengths:    Stiff, has handled everything with a Firm, yet eager attitude (yeah hills)- has handled wheelie drops, ramps, and 100 mile races, dessert sands, rocky and rooty and -lumbery?- new england-- all in stride.

Weaknesses:    Ritchey components- based on my experience with them on this bike- I'll never purchase. (Pedals very poor, the 31.5 post is not designed by anyone who knows what 'human factors engineering' is- get a shim-).

Oh- I almost forgot!!- I now have a nice smooth XTR bottom bracket(have had it 4 years- flawless)- I swear, though, when I pulled the original out after it developed 2 mm of play (!)- I thought I was looking at a k-mart bike (plastic sleeve, free bearings and all-).
The worst spec. ever! (Other than Giant putting 7speed kmart chains on 9 speed mid/high end bikes). I can hear the marketing guys now: "no one ever looks at the bottom bracket, just the rear derailleur". Though in fairness, and in contrast, the rest of the specs were great (other than those pedals).

Bottom Line:
I'd love to hate this bike- I've moved to wanting a full squish and this thing won't die. Every inch of mountain biking I've done (Moab, Colorado, New hamshire, Virginia, California, Upstate NY) has been on this frame (all components replaced at leat once except the cranks, which are still original. (If you're curious- the rear xt hub and xtr v-brakes were the only things to last- I swapped out the flat bar and chopper-long stem early on- so no fair to say they lasted).
My next frame will probably be a truth- I'll probably sell this- my baby- since it's been a bit small (I've actually grown since I got it when i was freshman in college!).
This is such a stiff frame I'd always thought I'd break it-it's held up to very tough riding--I'm really impressed.

Favorite Trail:   area 51

Purchased At:   Performance Boulder

Bike Setup:   XT/XTR; raceface cranks, Zochhi Marathon up front (that manituou sx-ti was crappy; Manituou sx-r- was awesome). Time atac, rock shox susp seatpost, hayes/king/517/317 rims- Magura disc brake up front (not recommended- have an air leak in the master cylynder).

Submitted by Tony a Cross Country Rider from Toronto, Canada

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2002

Strengths:    It's stiffer than me in the morning lying next to Anna Kournikova, hence its climbing ability is phenonmenal(combo of its lightweight and stiffnes). Extremely responsive and controllable at high speed and tight corners without having any troubles. In essence, this bike is almost telepathic when it comes to performce. The components are as good as it gets without breaking the bank.

Weaknesses:    It's NOT a cushy/forgiving ride (go get yourself a cruiser with a suspension seat if that's what you want). You can basically buy a used car for the price of a brand new one, but I still prefer to ride.

Bottom Line:
This is a "dream bike" for any average Joe, The sheer speed I get from this bike is almost too much at times(topped it out at 60km/h or 38mp/h). I feel like I could lay down a rubber patch if I had slicks, thankfully I have those trusty XTR brakes, yeah!. I like to ride to work & back (44km round trip or 28 miles), and the stiffness is not an issue in city riding in terms of comfort. Plus the fact that I can brag about getting to work 20 min quicker than public transportation is always something to glow about.

Favorite Trail:   valley trails, long city rides with light urban action!

Purchased At:   private buyer

Similar Products Used:   9700 Trek carbon fibre

Bike Setup:   XTR/Deore XT mix, Thomson seat post, Mavic X517 rear wheel with older 217 sunshine front wheel(it's damn light!), Manitou SX Ti shock(I know time to upgrade)

Submitted by Dominic Willsher a Weekend Warrior from Kingston, ON, Canada

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2001

Strengths:    Excellent bike... perfect groupset; Stiff and light, looks sharp!! Have received excellent support from Specialized... couldn't have wished for better service.

Weaknesses:    Older style Shimano splined bottom bracket is XTR... difficult to find tools to take it out. Also have had problems with stripping the crank.

Bottom Line:
I LOVE MY BIKE. Wouldn't trade it for the world, I don't even let my girlfriend ride it. Amazing bike, and even when it lets me down, Speciaized comes to the rescue. Quick story; in England last year, riding the cliffs of the south west coast, and my hub body rode itself into the hub and seized. Totally my fault; I hadn't tightened it in properly, and was reaming on the bugger up the cliffs. Anyway, Specialized UK (I bought the bike in Canada) sent me a rear wheelset within 5 days to a campsite that I was stranded at in the middle of nowhere. Thanks to a great company, my holiday suffered no more than a hiccup, in what could have been a catastrophe, seeing that I had no money, and was hundreds of miles from home.

Favorite Trail:   Mont Tremblant

Purchased At:   Frontenac Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Klein Adroit
Specialized StumpJumper Comp

Bike Setup:   ?? Set up for what? Mainly original parts... new tires... I recommend Panaracer FireXCPro... been using them for 18 months with no complaints. Stock handlebar is very light at 185gr, but is ugly as sin...

Submitted by Paul Pratt a Cross Country Rider from Edinburgh, Scotland, UK

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2001

Strengths:    Unbreakable, fast, climbs like a demon and eats up singletrack descents!

Weaknesses:    The crappy Suntour Microdrive Groupset it came with.

Bottom Line:
Awesome, I have had this bike for almost 10 years and it just kicks ass....I don't think I will ever need to buy a new bike...well maybe a nice new M4!!

Purchased At:   Orange Cycle, Orlando, Fl.

Similar Products Used:   1992 Yeti, The original Pace, Fat Chance, Dogs Bollx, Yo Eddy, Slingshot, 1994 M2, 1996 M2

Bike Setup:   1992 M2 Team Edition frame, 1997 Manitou Ti Shocks, XT groupset, Mavic Crossrides, Syncros stem, raceface post, S-Works seat.

Submitted by courtney haberman a Racer from mequon, wi, usa

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2000

Bottom Line:
this bike kicks ass... when i began racing two summers ago, i tested over 15 bikes,and this one was and always will be my favorite. to anyone who wants a comfortable, reliable bike, i recommend the s-works (with a bright pink paint job-- trust me, it makes the bike:-)

Favorite Trail:   razorback ridge in sayner

Submitted by rob simopoulos a Weekend Warrior from waterdown, Ontario

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2000

Strengths:
Light as hell
Great hill climber

Weaknesses:
short travel front fork

Bottom Line:
I love this bike. Bought it two years ago, used, in cherry condition for $900 cdn. Thought it was a steal. This bike climbs like no tomorrow. It is a great X.C. bike. Both the front and rear shock does not have much travel. I'm not that concerned about the rear end ( I like it stiff) but would like to upgrade the front shock to something a little more plush.
Sucks on downhills, bounces all over the placeStill I love this bike!!!

waterdown

2 Years

s-works FSR (95,96,97?)
- Full XT
- specialized carbon/titanium front fork
-Fox rear air shock
- bontrager riser bar
- Lot's of kick ass canadian flag stickers (true patriot)

Submitted by Colin a Cross-Country Rider from Aurora ONt.Can.

Date Reviewed: December 10, 1999

Strengths:
This bike loves to blast over anything you put in front of it.
Bring on the tough stuff!!!!!!!!!!!

Weaknesses:
None to speak of except my buddy who has a fullsuspesion bike thinks it's not heavy enough(ha ha ha)

Bottom Line:
Awesome thanks honey for a wicked Xmas present last year

T&T Hardwoodhills Ont.

1 Year

Rocky Moutain
Team only.
Nice bike as well

747 pedals
XTR/XT mix

Submitted by joshua hiebert a Racer from atlanta,ga

Date Reviewed: September 17, 1999

Strengths:
Light,responsive, a joy to ride

Weaknesses:
The occasional creak

Bottom Line:
I bought the frame and put the bike together over time. I have raced this bike for a long time, and it has lasted through thick and thin. I wouldn't trade it for the world. Well, maybe the world.

more than 3 years

Fat Ti, Ibis Mojo Ti

XTR 8 spd
Manitou4
S-Works components

Submitted by andy a Cross-Country Rider from saratoga

Date Reviewed: September 13, 1999

Strengths:
light, stiff and fast

Weaknesses:
creaks sometimes
seat stay flex

Bottom Line:
i have been very happy with this frame. it is a '96 that i just bought this summer, it was basically new. it held up well over a hrad summer of riding. the bike is light and fells solid. no probelm so i'll give it 5 flammers

SKIDMORE