Specialized FSR Extreme 98 Bike 1998 or Older

4.7/5 (80 Reviews)

Specialized FSR Extreme 98

Submitted by tim a Weekend Warrior from St. Louis, MO

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2009

Strengths:    Efficient rear suspension, good geometry, solid entry components, tank-like in its durability

Weaknesses:    a few creaks here and there and I could have done without the mirror blue and red paint job (I call it the Captain America scheme) but that's all I've got!

Bottom Line:
This is an awesome bike. It's pulled out some crazy landings that lesser bikes would have crumpled under. I've been riding this bike over technical terrain since 99 and I wouldn't trade it for anything. It climbs like a goat, sucks up big hits like a dirt bike, descends quickly and in a controlled fashion, and is still light enough to cover great distance without killing you. When I was shopping for a bike, I wanted one that could do everything. I couldn't afford a downhill bike, an XC bike, a free ride bike...like most people can't. The FSR can do it all.

Favorite Trail:   Chubb, DeClue

Purchased At:   Tullio's Big Dog Cyc

Similar Products Used:   Ross rigid

Bike Setup:   Azonic riser bars, Specialized Body Geometry leather saddle, XT 8 speed shifters & brakes, race face crankset, Bontrager Asym wheelset, Specialized Fast Trak LK tires, Light & Motion Dual Logic lightset, Lizard skins all over the place

Submitted by Brook a Downhiller from Fenton MO

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2006

Strengths:    Duribility

Weaknesses:    bit noisy and soft fork

Bottom Line:
great all mountain bike hadles climbs down hills and jumps. the bike has lasted me eight years going on nine. the bike makes some noise at times but keeps on rollin. Im sad to say though she is on her way out. you can bet my next bike is going to be a specialized.

Favorite Trail:   castle wood

Purchased At:   mesa

Similar Products Used:   random hard tails

Bike Setup:   all stock but the fork springs where replaced with stiffer ones

Submitted by Keith Lazarski a Weekend Warrior from North Kingstown, RI, USA

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2006

Strengths:    Durability!

Weaknesses:    Creaking noise in the crankset somewhere

Bottom Line:
I don't ride with groups of people or know the lingo of other cyclists. I have simply riddent this bike since I purchased it back in November of 1997. I thought the color was hideous, but it came recommended back then and a great buy and I am glad I did so. While I may not be able to speak intelligently about the individual parts of the bike, I can speak about the whole. I have only replaced the chain, tires and brake pads on this bike and have been faithful in getting a full-service tune-up each spring. On average I ride about 700-950 miles per year on either roadways, trails or off the beaten path!

The first two years, I had some fun bringing it to a couple of skate parks and used it regularly on a half pipe and many jumps. I weighed about 160lbs back then and I estimate that it handled 3-4ft drops very well. Today I weight 250lbs and while I don't do the stunts I did back then, I still find the suspension maintains the ride and traction in most conditions comfortably. In addition to the regular upkeep, I do tend to avoid puddles, sand and mud as I feel this must kill the suspension and other mechanisms over time....so, in summary, I obviously feel this has helped keep the bike in good shape!

I am very happy with Specialized and this particular bike. I am looking at their road bikes and will not sell this one...when I get sick of it I will hang it up on my wall in my den as it is too ugly to depart with.

Favorite Trail:   Arcadia State Park

Purchased At:   Caster's Cycling

Similar Products Used:   Not so similar, but a 1992 Rockhopper and a 1989 Stumpjumper. 1988 Bianchi (cool looking and expensive for the time, but not better than my $499 Rockhopper) Tested out many competitors at the time...but I felt this was the leader for the price.

Bike Setup:   Stock, Specialized Wireless Computer, waterbottle cage...the random normal add-ons like bar-ends....

Submitted by colby a Downhiller from suffield, ct

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2006

Strengths:    everything

Weaknesses:    frame started to crack after first ride of the season but i got it welded back together and it is a really gnarly bike.

Bottom Line:
its a sick ass bike, its good for downhill and it climbs really good because it is light and easy to throw around.

Favorite Trail:   jiminy peak

Purchased At:   got it for free from a friend

Similar Products Used:   iron horse sgs expert

Bike Setup:   lime green fsr extreme with 5in psylo and 8in disc brakes

Submitted by Scott a Weekend Warrior from AK

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2003

Strengths:    Still holding up fine after all these years!

Weaknesses:    Those have already been addressed. I think my next mod will be BETD chain stays.

Bottom Line:
I added SingleTrack disc wheels and Avid disc brakes over the winter. I had to drill out the lower non-drive side of the seat stay to make the Specialized disc brake mount work. It is made for '99 and up FSR models that already have a hole in the seatstay. The stock V brake mount had to be drilled & tapped since my brake post stripped out and didn't want to unscrew out of the seatstay boss.

The brakes are pretty nice but have required some set up time to get them right. I'm still working on it.

Why buy a new bike when this one can be modded so much?

Submitted by Mike Mills a Cross Country Rider from Fairchild AFB, WA

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2003

Strengths:    Great all-mountain bike; good original parts spec; good suspension travel at the time; 4-bar suspension design the greatest; excellent bang-for-the-buck at the time

Weaknesses:    Typical weaknesses for this bike - short top tube; heavy frame; stock rear suspension bushings; some Specialized house-brand parts pretty crappy

Bottom Line:
This is an update to the review I posted back in July 1998. This bike is definitely sweet with all the upgrades i've put into it. Bought it in 1998 for $1600 (thanks Ray's Cycle in Vacaville, CA - you guys rock), and it was definitely the most bang-for-the-buck bike at the time - 4" of travel front/rear and the 4-bar suspension design - still the way to go, to this day. Didn't like the Kermit-the-Frog green that much, but I was out for as much performance and fun as I could get for $1600. As for the stock components/suspension - definitely good for the time, but, obviously, as time goes on, so does better/lighter bike parts coming out. So, in the quest for a lighter/better performing bike, I have spent some cash over time (approx. $1782.00 in upgrades), and have customized it to the moon to my liking. The key is to find the stuff on sale - I was able to purchase all the upgrades with a savings of $577.00 over the original price. The way I see it, it comes out to $3382.00 total, which is just a little over the current 2003 Specialized Enduro Pro, which essentially the same as this bike is now. Anyway, here's the breakdown of the current bike:

Frame - 1998 FSR Extreme, med. frame, Mountainspeed 4-pivot
bearing kit
Shock - 2000 Fox Float RC ($199.00 - thanks, Supergo)
Fork - 2002 Rockshox Psylo SL w/soft-spring kit ($389)
Headset - FSA Orbit XL II ($45)
Stem - Specialized (switched from stock 135mm to 110mm)($15)
Handlebar - FSA XC190 riser ($59)
Grips - Yeti Hard-Core ($8)
Brake Levers/Shifters - Shimano XT, 9-speed ($69)
Cables - Shimano XTR sealed brake/gear teflon cableset ($36)
Saddle - SDG Bel-Air, kevlar sides, titanium rails ($79)
Seatpost - Thomson Elite, cut to 330mm ($69)
Seatpost Binder - Specialized alloy quick-release ($24)
Bottom Bracket - Shimano ES-70, octalink spindle ($23)
Crankset - Shimano XT, 9-speed, octalink, hollowtech ($89)
Pedals - Shimano 545 ($59)
Front Derailleur - Shimano XT, 9-speed ($21)
Rear Derailleur - Shimano XTR, 9-speed, medium-cage ($75)
Cassette - Shimano XT, 9-speed, 11-34 tooth ($38)
Chain - SRAM PC-99, 9-speed ($34)
Brakes - Hayes HMX-1, mechanical discs ($148)
Front Hub - Specialized Stout disc, cartridge bearings ($5)
Rear Hub - Specialized Stout disc, cartridge bearings ($8)
Front Skewer - Specialized alloy skraxle ($N/A)
Rear Skewer - Specialized chromoly ($N/A)
Spokes - DT Black Revolutions, 14/17/14 gauge ($77)
Nipples - DT alloy, red/green ($16)
Rims - Mavic X317 disc, black ($128)
Rim Strips - Velox Cloth ($5)
Tubes - Salsa Superlight presta ($10)
Tires - Panaracer Trailblaster K, 2.1, black/red ($54)
Headset Spacer - Winwood, 15mm, carbon fiber ($3)
Disc Adapter - Specialized FSR alloy disc adapter ($50)
Cable Guides - Problem Solvers, plastic, stick-on ($10)
Brake Boss Plugs - Problem Solvers, plastic, 8/10 mm ($8)
Chainstay Protector - Lizard Skins, neoprene ($7)
Bar Ends - Titec Micros ($19)
Computer - Specialized Speedzone Team, wireless ($60)

As you can see, the bike is nowhere close to the original I bought 5 years ago. The performance rivals the bikes today, to a degree. I'd have to spend about the same I did on this bike and upgrades to get a comparable machine today. I'd say the biggest upgrades to the bike in the order of importance in the performance area were: Mountainspeed bearing kit, Fox Float RC, Rockshox Psylo SL, conversion to disc brakes, the change-over to 9-speed, and a lighter wheelset. With all the upgrades, the bike went from 30.66 lbs to 29.47 lbs, despite the change-over to disc brakes - not bad for an all-mountain bike. My goal was achieved - when I initially started upgrading (discs and heavy disc wheelset), the bike jumped to 33 lbs - ouch. So, I lightened the wheelset, and put on lighter components here-and-there, and dropped 3.5 lbs - pretty good for and all-mountain bike. As for any future upgrades, I cannot think of any to increase the performance/weight factor, without switching the fork out to a Fox Float RLC - not willing to shell out 700 bucks to do that. Would be a nice upgrade, though. Definitely nice having the lockouts front/rear, although I only use them on the road. Greatest feature is the U-Turn on the Psylo SL - use that every ride I do with an extended climb or descent (lots of them here in the Spokane area). Nice having the adjustability of the head angle. Love the suspension performance of the Fox Float/Mountainspeed bearing kit combo in the back - added about an inch of travel, and performs loads better than the stock Rockshox Coupe Deluxe coil/plastic bushing combo. Will definitely have this bike for years to come. All-in-all, it would be hard to find a better bike at this pricepoint.

Favorite Trail:   Little Vietnam, Riverside Park

Purchased At:   Ray's Cycle in Vacaville, CA

Similar Products Used:   Bike history: Huffy 18-speed rigid (1988-1991); Miyata Elevation 400' rigid (1991-1993); Diamondback Axis Team front-suspension (1993-1998); Specialized FSR Extreme dual-suspension (1998-present)

Bike Setup:   Original frame with over-the-time upgrades (see below)

Submitted by Gregory Cavanaugh a Cross Country Rider from Gallup, NM

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2003

Strengths:    Plush ride
Cool color scheme
Good suspension design

Weaknesses:    A bit heavey
Bearings creaky
high standover hieght

Bottom Line:
This bike seems to climb well and it sucks up the bumbs. The rear-end does seem a little slopy when twisting down single tracks but I just came off of a hardtail! Overall I think this is a great frame if you can get it for a good price, there are lighter frames out there! Happy riding

Favorite Trail:   Pete's Wicked

Bike Setup:   Bought as a frameset. Converted my hardtail into a full-suspension! I have low end Shimano parts on it and cheap rims so it is heavey but I love to ride it! Once you go full suspension you will never go back! Swap the parts off your hartail onto a full suspension frame and see what everyone else is enjoying at a lower price!!

Submitted by Paul Lanham a Weekend Warrior from Australia

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2003

Strengths:    Very confidence boosting, comfortable

Weaknesses:    linkages have a bit of flex

Bottom Line:
This is bike is awsome after riding a hardtail, it is an intermediate untill i can aford an enduro comp. Mmmmm, maybe i don't need the comp? this bike is very fun to ride!

Favorite Trail:   Any where

Purchased At:   Swapped for a cfm 1

Bike Setup:   Duke sl forks, deore components, v-brakes

Submitted by Scott a Downhiller from Alaska

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2002

Strengths:    UPGRADEABLE!

Weaknesses:    Judy XL fork, rear bushings, stock link, stock tires

Bottom Line:
Now into my 5th summer and I still like my bike. Teh new fork and link really made all the difference. These components made the old FSR feel lie a new bike. I read the previous reviews and can't really understand how people can say they enjoy the downhill geometery or never bottom out. I bottomed out everywhere and think the stock link is a worthless pile of crap. My bike now rolls over everything and is far more enjoyable to ride. To me it is a long travel cross country bike and nothing more. The suspension improvements allow me to take it into the local BMX jumping park and do small gap jumos but I plan to buy and build up a real Freeride bike in the future.

Presently with the upgrades the FSR Extreme lives more up to its name and now will stay with me for another 5 years. I still like it.

Bike Setup:   '02 Psylo SL. BETD link w/1050 lb Fox spring on a rebuilt Rock Shox Coupe Delux (how weird is that?) in 6" travel setting, BETD full bearing kit Mosh pedels, IRC back Country tires, new chain rings + chain, new front deraillure, bargain bin saddle, Profile bars, used parts shorty stem.

Submitted by W. Chris a Weekend Warrior from Helena Mt.

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2001

Strengths:    great ride, the suspension is good, although the judy xl has some feirce rebounding. an awsome frame aswell. for 550 bucks this was a great buy.

Weaknesses:    hmmm. well the color is a bit odd, you would think this bike belongs to kermit the frog. the front fork pings of things like a pogo stick. could uses some dampaning

Bottom Line:
it is a great full suspesion bike if you are on a budget and don't mind the kawasaki green. after putting about 400 more dollars into the bike the overall cost is about $950. Great price for the fsr suspension desighn which is one of the best there is. great value and a great bike. and as much as i get bucked off of the green machine, it takes a licking, and still works great.

Favorite Trail:   cave gulch, amasa back trail

Purchased At:   friend

Bike Setup:   When i got the bike i bought of a friend of mine for $550. it came with all the stock items on it. from there i have done away with the mavic 221 rims(which were kinda weird to find on a full suspension bike and being 200lbs, i have been knowen to demolish rims)and have put on a mavic d521 rim with a shimano xt front hub and a sun rhynolite rear downhill rim whit a shimano deore hub. i have also outfitted the bike with shimano xt disc brakes. i did have to purchase a rear adapter for the caliper mount. bontranger jones tires up front. and a 2.4 motorapter tire on the rear. xt drive train is great with xt shifters as well.

Submitted by mhop from jersey

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2001

Strengths:    Nice for downhill and XC riding. Rear shock provides enough travel for us that don't race them. I like the green paint. No creaks or problems with the frame at all.

Weaknesses:    None. I built from the frame up the way I wanted it.

Bottom Line:
Feels nice jetting down the rocky and rooty trails here in jersey. It's awesome for this type of terrain.

Favorite Trail:   anywhere

Purchased At:   used

Similar Products Used:   mongoose fs :-(
specialized rock hopper comp
schwinn homegrown

Bike Setup:   XTR front and rear, Mavic 217 w/XTR hubs, Cook Bros crankset w/RaceFace Rings, Shimano 646 pedals, Yeti riser bar, XT brakes, XT shifter/levers, Marz bomber fork

Submitted by Craig Graham a Downhiller from Greenville SC

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2000

Strengths:    awsome freeride geometry

Weaknesses:    rims,seat

Bottom Line:
This bike is the BOMB!! Had mine for 2 years and still love it!!!

Favorite Trail:   Tsali