Serotta Classique 853 Bike 1998 or Older

Serotta Classique 853

Submitted by Robert a Weekend Warrior from Lacoste, France

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2007

Strengths:    I bought this bike 11 years ago and just replaced the groupo and wheels. The frame fits like no other bike I have ever ridden and combines the best compliance with great rigidity. I ride almost daily and the bike rolls on!

Weaknesses:    I occasionally feel like it might be a bit heavy, but then realize I can loose 10 pounds off my belly!

Bottom Line:
Steel feels like a dream, I want to ride this bike for the rest of my life! If you love to ride, and are not looking for the next and most expensive way to loose 1 pound from the bike, this bike will make you happy. I work in the south of France and flew the bike over, I have never regretted it for a moment.

Favorite Trail:   Ventoux

Purchased At:   Bicycle Sportshop, Austin TX

Similar Products Used:   TREK 5500, Specialized Allez

Bike Setup:   Mavic ksyrium equipe wheels and campi Centaur groupo

Submitted by Andrew a Weekend Warrior from Bloomington, IN

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2003

Strengths:    Quality
Comfort
Handling

Weaknesses:    Stock fork

Bottom Line:
A perfect balance between stiffness and comfort. It's quick-much more so than what I expected for a steel frame. The 853 is just flexy enough to make it enjoyable to ride on bad pavement. It's a little on the heavy side, but it's steel and what else would you expect? The stock carbon fork is a nice piece, but it's not as nice as Serotta's upgraded carbon fork or most aftermarket ones. It's not as nice as what I would have expected for the frame price. But the frame's quality certainly makes up for it. This bike is beautifully built with great paint.

Purchased At:   Richardson Bike Mart, Dallas Texas

Similar Products Used:   LeMond Zurich

Bike Setup:   Ultegra/Rolf Vector Comp/Easton carbon seatpost/SPD pedals

Submitted by Rob a Racer from Dallas

Date Reviewed: August 10, 1999

Strengths:
Comfortable
Great paint
Great frame detail
Quick handling

Weaknesses:
Weight

Bottom Line:
I built up a 58cm Classique with icon air rail fork, Ultegra components, and Mavic open pro rims.
The bike carves the turns with great precision.
For a largish steel frame stiffness is excellent with little bottom bracket deflection under full mash. For the price I just could not find a better feeling steel frame. This bike actually feels alot like the Serotta CSI. I highly recommend this bike to any racer who wants a great price/performance ratio.

3 months