Scott Team Racing Bike 1998 or Older

4.38/5 (8 Reviews)

Scott Team Racing

Submitted by DG Gremillion a Weekend Warrior from Amarillo, TX 79106

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2008

Strengths:    It's very fast on all trail types, climbs like a mountain goat, and is agile, very agile. It's lite, currently sub 22.5 pounds with a spare tube in the saddle bag (ride ready not stripped down). Still in great shape after riding more than 6500 miles over the past 9 years I've owned it and still riding it today. Can't find much better out there to replace it with for under $3K.

Weaknesses:    Well hardtail bikes appear to be a dying bread :(`. I sure wish this was a softtail frame like the Moots frame a buddy rides (sweet frame). For XC riding I'm not sure I'd ever go to a full suspension bike when you can ride a softtail.

Bottom Line:
After 9 years of riding (Didn't ride for four years due to having twins), this bike is better than 85% of the HT bikes currently in production today (hands down). I've worn out the fork, cassette, and front sprockets, clipless peddles, several sets of tires and brake shoes. I need to replace the wheelset but the frame isn't disk compatible :(. In all this time, I've never experienced a breakdown as a result of hardware failure. I can't say it enough, this is a great bike. I have attempted to replace it with a full suspension bike but can't justify the 3K it would take to get a sub 22 pound bike. Riding anything heaver would be giving up all the strengths listed above. In fact I'm looking to purchase a used one for one of my twins (kids) who is beginning to ride now.

Favorite Trail:   GSL Trail - Canyon Texas

Purchased At:   Cutting Edge (Out of Business)

Similar Products Used:   Diamond Back, Specialized Stump Jumper, and M2.
Also, Moots Ti softtail frame and Ellsworth Sub22 (nice rides for sure)

Bike Setup:   Ritchey Logic Crom-Lite Frame (Sweet and very light frame), Rock Shox SID XC, Mavic X-221, Shimano Deore XT group , 27-Speed grip shift (I like still like these shifters), Ritchey Logic Z-Max WCS 1.9 tires (Lite 430g each, great traction and did I mention fast with great traction).

Submitted by B. Jansen a Cross-Country Rider from the Netherlands

Date Reviewed: July 30, 1999

Strengths:
Quick on both the straights and single-track, lightweight, XT components exclusively.

Weaknesses:
Saddle, Ugly paint scheme/decals, pedals.

Bottom Line:
I've been very happy with my previous (SCOTT) bike so the descision to upgrade to this one was easy. I was a bit hesitant about the front suspension and after a little less than 3 months feelings are still mixed. I believe I still prefer rigid and have actually been thinking of purchasing a PACE rigid fork. I really don't care what the experts say. Most of my riding is X-country. The saddle that comes with the bike is so friggin' hard that I swapped it for a Selle Flite Italia XO Gel. Makes a world of difference during those 4 hour trips. I'd give it 5 stars it it wasn't for that RS XC fork...

3 months

1997 SCOTT Comp Racing

Rock Shox Judy XC, Mavic X-221, Shimano Deore XT 27-Speed,

Submitted by Chillie Equaliser a weekend warrior from the land of truth

Date Reviewed: December 14, 1998

Bottom Line:

This is a review of Mark the downhiller, who must have fell off and hit too many Boulders to spell Team.Ok, so you've had a Scott Boulder. First of all this isn't a Scott Team Racing, which incidentally is the review site you posted on. Secondly the Team racing, or to be more accurate the Boulder, isn't a downhill machine its a cross country bike which should be reviewed as such. Thirdly, I've given this review 5 Chillies to compensate for your silly review. Get a life, get a head and don't fall off so much !By the way, the Team is an excellent bike, don't be put off by dead head reviews such as Marks.

Submitted by Andrus Tischler a cross-country rider from Estonia

Date Reviewed: September 25, 1998

Bottom Line:

HI, i bought my Team Racing in april ´98. Must say, that i hadn´t any serious problem with it. This bike rocks everywhere!!! Only thing i had to do was tighten up the attachment of bottom bracket which was just loose (since factory i guess). I like its especially well balanced and light frame (i ride on 22) and full XT group which works just perfect! I have over 2000 km on it, now preparing for cold and snowy winter. According to preceding rides it will be hell-of-a-fun!
Get your Team and feel the same!!!

Submitted by Mark from downhiller

Date Reviewed: July 31, 1998

Bottom Line:

This review is based on my '97 Scott Boulder SHX (INDY C. I have been disappointed with the components on this bike and i have spent a lot of money replacing shifters that just fall apart (they were STX RC shifters which I replaced with XT) wheels that aren't tense enough and buckle incredibly easily. Many people say that its just my riding but I am not a mental rider like the great Rob Warner and I chose look after my bike rather than thrash it. The only thing remaining on this bike is the frame. I would suggest people to steer away from Scotts altogether.

Submitted by Ola Nordmann a weekend warrior from Norway

Date Reviewed: May 19, 1998

Bottom Line:

I own a 96 modell of this bike which I bought last summer. And really like this bike a lot ! It rides great on fast open tracks, but the singeltrack abilities could be better though. The equipment (except the cranksett which sucks) is also great. And it is the best looking bike there is !!!!!!!!!!!

Submitted by JELLO a weekend warrior from DURHAM,NC

Date Reviewed: January 30, 1998

Bottom Line:

WELL LET ME TELL YOU....I MOVED FROM THE HELL HAVEN OF THE PACIFIC NW NEAR THE WA ID BORDER TO THE PURE FLAT HELL OF MIDDLE NC AND THE BIKE CAN DO IT ALL...UP,DOWN,ROLLING SINGLETRACK AND IN A PINCH COMMUTE. I REALLY LOVE THE FRAME GEOMETRY, THE GRUPPO AND THE BUSINESS LOOK OF THE BIKE AS A WHOLE. I WOULD URGE ANYONE WITH THE CHANCE TO TEST ONE TO...AH,DAMN I GOTTA SAY IT...JUST DO IT
SORRY I SPENT A LOT OF TIME IN OR. ANYWAY DO RIDE IT, YOU WILL LIKE IT.

Submitted by Adam Hendry a weekend warrior from Yorkshire

Date Reviewed: January 26, 1998

Bottom Line:

The 1998 Scott Team Racing is a excelent bike for 1K, Its got XT kit ALL over and an Aluminium 7005
frame plus all the named kit you need to get out there from day one. I upgraded the Rockshox Judy T2,
which are apparantly a bit bouncy, to the 1998 Judy XC. These work very very well and seem easily
adjustable. The Bike isn't a superlight but it's light enough and strong enough to throw around the trails.
My only question is the standard Mavric X221 UB rims, it may just be a bad wheel build but mine have
buckled quite easily.
If you've got a grand to play with ( or finance available ! ) you cant go wrong with one of these, it will
put a grin on your face from ear to ear, guaranteed !

Anyone Interested in Forming a New Bike Racing/Riding Team?

Hey Alaska MTBeRs, I'm trying to gauge interest in starting up a new bike racing/riding team here in southcentral AK. The emphasis would be on gathering together a good core of folks who like riding on dirt and snow, and even occasionally the road. The goals of the team would be to provide the f ... Read More »

Youtube UCI XCO Team Racing channels

Does anyone here knows any MTB racing channels? I only manage to find the following: 1. ABSACAPEEPIC 2. MeridaDeutschland 3. ShimanoRaceTV 4. specialized411 5. trekworldracing 6. ucichannel Thanks in advance.Read More »

Trek World Racing drops XC team

Clicky -> [URL="http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/trek-world-racing-discontinues-cross-country-race-program-for-2013"]Trek World Racing discontinues cross country race program for 2013 [/URL] So this seems like kind of a big deal. The Flueckiger brothers are a big deal, they were 2nd and 3rd at W ... Read More »

Team Racing?

A friend and I will be doing a 50mi 4 lap race next month as a 2 man team, each rider doing 2 laps of 12.5mi. The question I have is should we do alternating laps, or do our 2 laps sequentially? I can see pluses and minuses for both approaches. Anyone have experience with this and can offer up sugge ... Read More »

Kitsap Racing Mountain Bike Team

Shameless plug for the Kitsap Racing mountain bike team that I recently pulled together. I saw a hole in the mountain bike community in the Kitsap peninsula area and decided to fill it. It's a non-profit, as I have a real day job, and a way for folks on the Kitsap peninsula to be a part of a rac ... Read More »