Schwinn s[9six]40 Bike 1998 or Older

3.93/5 (15 Reviews)

Schwinn s[9six]40

Submitted by NelTravlerMountainKing

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2012

Strengths:    Efficient Value added Bike. It climbs great and pretty fast for the price.

Weaknesses:    Still has AD-4 and upgrade seems ness. As I can I will upgrade most components

Bottom Line:
I picked this bike up for $ 145.00 with a $30.00 trade-in and for the money, I could not have done better. The bike was rarely used and still had nipples on tires. I had a Cannondale V-500 for many years and I would rate this bike a close second though the s(nine-six) is heavier. An amazing value/performance purchase and I did not have to spend $1200.00. Over all VERY HAPPY !!!

Submitted by Don Duende a Cross Country Rider from Eastern Sierra

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2007

Strengths:    Has been a fun ride for over 11 years. This is my first full susupension bike after a few years on a rigid aluminum fork bike. The difference was amazing and I would never go back to a hardtail. Only in the past few years has suspension design really improved. CroMoly frame makes for a sweet ride. Climbs well enough.

Weaknesses:    CroMoly frame is heavy. New suspension designs are much better descenders, have more travel, propedal, etc. I choose my lines through rocky sections more carefully but that is partly due to the fork and shock.

Bottom Line:
This is my old MTB now replaced with a new Intense 5.5. The new bike is better, for sure but the Schwinn has taken me everywhere for a lot less money. I still ride the Schwinn as a beater bike that I keep for a quick ride before work and keep the new bike at my other place, near the MTB park. When I rode with friends on their $6000 Blur XC and similar bikes, I would still kick their asses on the Schwinn. If you can find one in good condition, used, the Schwinn s[9six]40 is a good full suspension bike to grow into. As your riding skills improve, you will want to trade up to a modern suspension design, albeit at a much higher price.

Favorite Trail:   Inyo Craters Loop

Purchased At:   Private Party

Similar Products Used:   Intense 5.5, Santa Cruz Blur XC, Trek Fuel 90

Bike Setup:   Rock Shox FSX, Cane Creek AD-10, Kalloy stem and seatpost, Mavic 217 rims, Nuke Proof hubs, Nashbar CF riser bar, 8sp gripshifters, Avid Mg brake levers, XT v brakes, Deore RD

Submitted by Josh from Pembroke, NH

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2005

Strengths:    Frame feels solid, Handles Firetrails very well and climbing out of the saddle results in the feel of a hard-tail bike.(if the Rear air shock is dialed in correctly(

Weaknesses:    The Center-pull brakes that originally were installed were weak and should be upgraded. The Wheelset and front fork are adequate, but fairly heavy.

Bottom Line:
Schwinn has mad good bikes for quite a while. This bike is a great trail bike and is definately comfortable to ride. Its Suspension setup lengthens its wheelbase durring cornering allowing for more stable cornering. The rear suspension does not come with a lockout however it does feel like the suspension has locked out when climbing out of the saddle. The other nice thing about the suspension design is that none of your pedaling force is lost to rear suspension movement due to the fact that the whole rear triangle contains the is solid, and contains the whole drive terrian.

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Rockhopper FSR, GT LTS-1, Schwinn MOAB, Klien Mantra, Schwin Homegrown Hardtail

Bike Setup:   XT V-Brakes, Gripshift, Welgo Clipless Pedals, LX Deriallers, 7spd Cassette, RockShock Quad, Crane Rear Airshock set 108% of bodyweight

Submitted by Pete from Eagan, Mn, USA

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2001

Strengths:    Light and strong frame,

Weaknesses:    Stock parts arent the best but are fine until you feel like upgrading, the only part that is complete junk is the Cane Creek AD-4 rear shock, get rid of it.

Bottom Line:
This bike is a great bike, It isn't the best bike you'll find but it has stood up to every challenge I've given it so far. I wouldn't trade for a brand new bike.

Favorite Trail:   Lebanon Hills

Purchased At:   Penn Cycle

Bike Setup:   All stock still except upgraded AD-4 To AD-12.

Submitted by Buzz Busey a Downhiller from Owen Sound, ontario, canada

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2000

Strengths:    Excellent versitile setup for both cross/downhilling,massive climbing power

Weaknesses:    cheap stock rims & hubs

Bottom Line:
Light Frame full suspension bike built best for both worlds wouldn't trade it for a Jag.......

Favorite Trail:   brucetrail

Submitted by Joe a Weekend Warrior from Glenwood Springs, CO

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2000

Strengths:    Great frame design, climbs in the saddle

Weaknesses:    Poor stock components

Bottom Line:
Schwinn obviously spent more time on the frame design than deciding which components to use. But if you buy this bike you should be pleased with its performance. Also if you have the money, get new higher end components.
If you think you ride often enough, you're committed enough, and you aren't cheap enough to buy a wal-mart bike this is the bike for you.

Favorite Trail:   Cross Trail

Bike Setup:   lx cranks, avid brakes, sun rims, dt spokes, lx hubs, lx shifters, judy c, deluxe rear

Submitted by Rike Schuett-Berg a Cross Country Rider from Bonn, germany

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2000

Strengths:    cheep, good geometrie for women like me, good traction, very nice looking for a fully

Weaknesses:    equipement had to be changed

Bottom Line:
I bought my bike (s(9six).20, I don`t know the difference to .40) April 1999. It has its own story, because it came out of a fire at the dealers place without blessure. And the dealer let it for less money (1800 DM with the exchanged parts + shoes + clickies). For this money you couldn`t by here a GOOD Fullsuspension bike.
I`m very content with my bike, only the rock shox quadra is not the best, but if you have ridden before (9 Years) a Hardtail its o.k. Till now i had no problems with the AD-4; but perhaps somebody can tell me an alternative (mail me)?
The time of "bad neck" or any other hurting bodyparts are over! Downhill is great, no more fear, beause it absorbs all. Now I am sure there is no trail to hard! And fun is with me! I´m happy having found this homepage with reviews, because here in germany nobody knows this great bike. I love it very much! For womens its a very good beginners bike!
Please, excuse my bad english, but its long ago that I used it.

Favorite Trail:   Siebengebirge

Bike Setup:   Tectro V-brakes, rapidfire XT, LX grank, kore porch(?), Downhill-handbars, , Ritchey click-pedals, z-maxx tires

Submitted by James Doanes a Weekend Warrior from Westy, CO USA

Date Reviewed: September 10, 1999

Strengths:
Lightweight, strength

Weaknesses:
Stock components

Bottom Line:
This is a good bike, but it will go through some changes to make is a great bike. So far, the Shimano XT V-brakes were a must, and the front shock will be next to go. I heard enough on the Cane Creek AD-6 shock to send mine in for a replace/rehaul. Things are getting better! Though not where I want it to be, I would not hesitate to race it. Already have and will again.

1 Year

Submitted by Brocko a Weekend Warrior from Cincinnati, Oh

Date Reviewed: July 5, 1999

Strengths:
The best full suspension design

Weaknesses:
stock components

Bottom Line:
I've ridden many full susp. bikes, and I always go back to my old Schwinn because it is the best f/s design out there. Let's face it, all f/s bikes are going to have some faults, but the Schwinn sweet spot bikes have the fewest!

more than 3 years

Fisher Joshua
GT I-drive bikes
Pro-Flex

Upgraded Stratos Helix Expert shock, Z2 Atom Bomb fork, Titec/Bontrager cockpit, and XT rear derail.

Submitted by adam a Cross-Country Rider from rochester NY

Date Reviewed: May 20, 1999

Strengths:
XC performance
handles big hits well
relatively light for its price range and design
good value
good amount of travel fo r entry level full suspension
nice bike to build up

Weaknesses:
back end can feel quirky on rought terrain, especially with stock parts
stock parts are really weak

Bottom Line:
I gradually upgraded the parts on this bike, and it gradually performed better. In stock form, the parts just don't last. With the current setup, it performs much better than my friend's cannondale and is light to boot. It is fast, especially on fire roads and decents, it can sometimes act quirky on technical terrain though because the rear end isn't as solid as the Homegrowns. Overall, it is a great bike to build up because it provides well designed full suspension at a low price ($800 at a store clearance). Don't be turned off by the schwinn name either, the performance of their bikes will suprise you. Any questions on schwinn full suspension, give me an email.

pikes peak

more than 3 years

Cannondale Super V Carbon
Trek 850 shx
Trek 8000

here goes, I replaced nearly everything:
Marzocchi Adambomb
Xray shifters
Scott twin cam pedals

Submitted by Derik a weekend warrior from NC

Date Reviewed: January 27, 1999

Bottom Line:

I love my 96. granted I replaced 70% of the parts before I ever left the store.
XT rear derailer, XTR Front to support larger cranckset. LX V-Brakes, Ritchey Clippless pedals, Judy XC Front, AD-10 Rear Shocks, Ceramic Mavic 517's with LX Hubs. but I've got EXACTLY the bike I was looking for. The ride is great, the sweet spot works as advertised. This bike has taken A Lot of abuse from me, I'm
6'3, 250 lbs, and I think Finesse is a Shampoo. but my 96 hasn't let me down once. I think it's a great bike for someone who is planning to replace all the OEM stuff anyway. My only complaint is I broke the sealed bottem bracket, which was replaced under waranty. however in all fairness the mechanic said it was the first broken one he has ever seen on the 96. That's my 2 cents.

Submitted by Philip a cross-country rider from Louisiana

Date Reviewed: June 10, 1998

Bottom Line:

I hate the S-96 all of the stock parts are cheap especially the fork this bike was not worth what I paid for it. The fork froze up after about six months and I broke the rear derrailleur at about the same time, I blew two of the cane creek AD-4 I blew one about 9 months ago and I blew the one they replaced it with about a week ago. I wouldn't upgrade any of the parts because the frame is too heavy in the first place

Submitted by Math a weekend warrior from L.A.

Date Reviewed: June 2, 1998

Bottom Line:

I have now done about 1,500 miles on my s[9six], and must say: the frame is fine, but most of the OEM stuff is crap (a positive surprise were the tires, though they were heavy, they worked great). So when people say that it is a great bike once one has replaced everything, they are probably right, but for the $600 bucks one has to spend for the bike, one is better off buying a frame (M2 for instance). I think that the bike is best for occasional weeken warriors, who do not want to spend much and won't do any rough riding.

Submitted by David a weekend warrior from Los Angeles, CA

Date Reviewed: February 11, 1998

Bottom Line:

I agree absolutely!!! I have an aluminum HT, but never bother riding it because the S96.40 is really awesome. the chromoly/aluminium combo is terrific. I added a cane creek AD-10, Judy XC long travel fork, replaced ALL the stock parts with XT (except the deralliuers, which are XTR) , a Specialized seat and Ground Control/Master tires. I far prefer the performance to the comparably equipped Homegrown XT. This bike is tough and really good looking. The basic bike was only $587 from Supergo. Can't do any better than that!!!

Submitted by Dustin Belack a weekend warrior from Pa, USA

Date Reviewed: January 10, 1998

Bottom Line:

Ilove my Schwinn FS, I just put a new Cane Creek AD-10 and the bike acts like a hard tail on the
way up the hills and on the way down, well you have to ride it your shelf. This bike rocks and it was
very good in the price range. It don't have the best parts but they do good until you can buy new
ones.

looking for photo of 1995 or 1996 schwinn s 9six.40 bike. or does anyone if the chianstay as normal bent in it on chain side bottom tube, thanksRead More »

Is a Schwinn s[9six]40 a good retro MTB ride?

Do you all think that a Schwinn s[9six]40 would be a good retro mtb build? It is an early 96 sweetspot schwinn w/ a cane creek rear shock. I was thinking about building up one with white industy, cook, paul, or syncross parts and was wondering if it is a good bike for a retro ride. Does anyone ha ... Read More »