Schwinn Moab 1 Bike 1998 or Older

4.47/5 (78 Reviews)

Schwinn Moab 1

Submitted by MTBRX a Downhiller from Boise, ID

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2012

Strengths:    Strong, lightweight, nimble, responsible, climbs like a goat, practically bulletproof.

Weaknesses:    For today's sake (2012) component spec is weak. But, with a few minor up grades (SD-7 brakes w/ Kook-Stop pads. and planned upgrade to SRAM 7 drivetrain), it should be the ultimate low-cost hardtail.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike new in 1998 and have never regretted keeping it until now, 2012. A sure KEEPER.

Favorite Trail:   The Whole Enchilada

Purchased At:   Supergo, Huntington

Similar Products Used:   Hardtails, none. Specialized Stumpy 2007 FS, and my current heavy7" DH/FR FS bike.

Bike Setup:   Stock, other than a soften saddle for "manly concerns," SD-7 brakes replaced, riser bars, WTB Velicpaptor tires, Lizard Skin Moab grips, et al.

Submitted by Gregory Horn a Weekend Warrior from Gainesville, Fl.

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2002

Strengths:    Frame!!! Great feel, ride, and control. Love the blue paint on my '97 aluminum Moab. Couldn't beat the price at $200 bucks. Didn't know what I was buying at the time. Talked into it by a friend. Wow!!! Glad I did.

Weaknesses:    Killed the BB after 6 months of wet/dry sandy rides and too much cleaning. A little heavy at 28 lbs. Forks were ok until I bought a real set of '02 Psylo's. Heavy but awesome.

Bottom Line:
Loved the bike from the start. Sold a heavy dual suspension bike when I found this one and don't miss it a bit. This bike really rips now with the mods. Just did 12 miles today test and tune. Had to add the heavier front spring for my 185 lb. frame. Biggest problem is me being out of shape at 43 (married with children). Got into mountain biking to give me and my 10 year old daughter excersize. Does it ever work! Lost allmost 20 pounds and feel beter than ever.
I can't even begin to ride this bike to it's full potential. Working on it though. JAMMER

Favorite Trail:   San-Felasco Hammock

Purchased At:   Collecting dust in someones garage.

Similar Products Used:   Treks, Cannondale, Giant Rainer, Pro-Flex, more...

Bike Setup:   Just added '02 Psylo U-Turn forks, XT disc hubs with Rhyno-Lite hubs, Hayes Hydro-Mag 8" front disc, Trek gel seat, Specialized chronometer, 40* risor, Ride-On Gortex cables, WTB "Kevlar" Velociraptor tires front/rear, grips, Raceface BB, etc.

Submitted by Rich Williams from Kingston

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2002

Strengths:    Frame is strong and good looking.Good mix of original components,just this year have I started udgrading..

Weaknesses:    Alittle on the heavy side,but after a few upgrades,it's slimmed down abit...That's more than I can say for myself..

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike in 99 for 500 bucks and here we are in 2002 and it has been the best purchase I have made..It's quick and responsive.I've raced it...crashed it...jumped it...and everything else...I ride 3 to 4 times a week and it's still here....I recomend this bike to anyone....who can find one that is!!!!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Jockey Hill

Purchased At:   Private sale

Similar Products Used:   GT Zaskar LE(stolen off my front porch)

Bike Setup:   Moab1 frame.Ryno lite w/xt disc hubs.XT front and rear der..Raceface cranks...Kore,hellbent,XTR shifter/brake levers and Avid disc on front...

Submitted by Adam Amrhein from Cranberry, PA

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2001

Strengths:    Solid solid bike. I have the original forks, seat, rear wheel, tires, brakes, and derailures and they are all working as well as the day I bought them.

Weaknesses:    it is not my mom

Bottom Line:
I ride hard, alot. I probably ride 3 times a week. Nothing has worn out, down to the drive drive train. I lean more towards freeriding and the bike has never held me back, but I have also raced in expert classes and it was light and quick enough. Plain and simple, the bike is my best friend. It is reliable, good looking, light, and tuff.

Favorite Trail:   Hartwood Acres

Purchased At:   Gatto

Similar Products Used:   Plethora of other mtbs.

Bike Setup:   race face bars, cranks, bottom bracket. LX front wheel.

Submitted by Jerry Dalley a Cross Country Rider from Sterling Hts. Mi (USA)

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2001

Strengths:    Bought the frame for $50
smooth riding great response and handling, this bike really knows how to listen to me.
I rode an Ibis mojo for a while,but I like this one better, it just handles and rides nicer.(Mojo was kinda squirrly.)
they even had the exact same components, I just switched em,
I haven't bent a rim yet.

Weaknesses:    no complaints here, except paint chips off really easily

Bottom Line:
Good bike couldn't beat the price (very happy with this product.)

Favorite Trail:   Pontaic Lake, Waterford Michigan

Purchased At:   from private owner

Similar Products Used:   Trek single track w/front suspension.
I think it was an 870 cromo.

Bike Setup:   Nice riding cromo frame, all upgraded components,
raceface turbine cranks,race face bars,raceface system, 1996 Judy xc
built the wheels myself w/ ultegra 28 hole front hub single cross w/mavic 230 rim,97'xt cassette, shimano xt rear 32 hole hub 97'w/ mavic 230 rim, regular old alloy seatpost, 95' look clipless pedals, sram 9.0 v-style brakes w/ 9.0 carbonfiber levers. xt front and rear derailers,

Submitted by Philip a Weekend Warrior from Brussels, Belgium (Europe)

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2000

Strengths:    Moab 1 cromo (1997): great geometry, riding comfort, good components (LX/XT), nice paintjob AND A LOT OF VALUE FOR THE MONEY YOU PAY

Weaknesses:    heavy tires, heavy rear wheel, frame could have been lighter, medium/poor LX-V-brakes, gearing to tight for high speed rides, hard saddle, paint scratches a bit too fast

Bottom Line:
OK, let me first say that I should have bought a 18" instead of a 19" (although I have raised the saddle significantly only a week ago and I rides even better than it did before - less BMX-style though). I also haven't had that much of opportunity to go offroad since I have this bike (time, transportation and physical contraints - severe knee injury) so I've used it more for long road trips and "urban assault purposes" than for MTB'ing.
But now, for the review: well, this is a great bike. It's fun (always wanted a BMX, now I think I got one), it's comfortable (beware: seriously consider a new saddle for longer rides)and it drives very easy. OK, the geometry took me a little time to get used to, but then...
good cornering, good climbing and medium acceleration (although the frame absorbs some energy and the rear wheel feels quite heavy). It's very easy to adjust a rear wheel or even a minor front wheel slide. The bike feels confident in downhill situations but rear braking could/should have been better (I'm considering Avid Arch). Do something with the Rock Shox INDY XC: replace it or put in Englunds. Elastomer/spring rebound nearly cost my teeth or neck (or both, didn't exactly want to find out). Also replace the tires: too heavy and not that great in muddy conditions.
The wheels are heavy too (Mavic 238 with LX-hubs) but can take quite a beating (thought I ruined them by hitting a sidewalk fast in the dark. Did nothing (though Englunds took the hit up front)!). The XT-rear derailleur is great and needs only minor maintenance. Also nice bar-ends for people with smaller hands like me.
So what it comes down to is that Schwinn - which was relatively rare at that time in Belgium - has gained my trust by delivering the best bike I ever had for a soft price. I recommend it for weekend warriors like me who like short fast trips as well as the longer rides. Riders who want decent performance coupled with comfort and... FUN. People on a budget who appreciate a good frame (and therefore upgradability) and a worthy component package. I don't easily give high marks, but the Moab 1 (1997) DESERVES:

Favorite Trail:   half-open forest singletracks

Similar Products Used:   Ludo Carson, Specialized Rockhopper

Bike Setup:   new front shock and internals (RS Indy SL with Englunds), pedals (Shimano M535), brakes (LX) and levers (XT), rear brake booster, tires (Michelin Wildgripper XC front / Lite rear)

Submitted by Scott a Racer from Saskatoon, Canada

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2000

Strengths:    frame
shock
drivetrain

Weaknesses:    wheels and tires

Bottom Line:
I haved used my MOAB 1 ALU for two years worth of sport class racing, and after some upgrade for expert level as well. I have found this to be an excellent bike (albiet heavy) for a hard rider or sport racer. My only gripe was with the wheels. I weigh only 140 lbs and continually had to retrue the rear wheel. I replaced the spokes with some DT's of the same gauge and have trued it once in a entire year. The originally tires were also very heavy and really didn't seem to grip anything well. I have cut about 2 pounds by replacing the stem, tires and rear cogset. Now its about 24 lbs and rides great. If you find one used it could be a good deal.
Not crazy about the seat either

Similar Products Used:   a few

Bike Setup:   xt drivetrain
easton hb
irc mythos
ritchey 120mm comp stem

Submitted by David Sennes a Racer from La Crosse, WI, USA

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2000

Strengths:    Great frame, props to schwinn for making a cro-moly frame that is light, durable, quick and easy riding. The bike had good parts for the ones that are expensive, the judy xc front shock, mavic x221 rims, kore stem. Good avid single digit v-brakes

Weaknesses:    It was a little bit pricey, and the drivetrain i disliked alot, the shifters and brake levers could be changed. Dislike the stiffnes of the seatpost

Bottom Line:
Very good frame and key accesories, good bike to start riding on, has a few bad points but i think schwinn makes some of the best frames. GO SCHWINN!!

Favorite Trail:   Squeezer

Bike Setup:   Moab 1 98

Submitted by Randall Baker a Weekend Warrior from Roseville, CA

Date Reviewed: November 28, 1999

Strengths:
Awesome paint job, lightweight, mostly good components, handles well

Weaknesses:
PC-41 chain: please have dealer upgrade to 51 or 61 unless you enjoy racking yourself as the chain breaks on a steep uphill.

Bottom Line:
This bike is a solid performer! Although I paid full retail-$1000 I still feel it was a bargain. Haven't had any trouble with the Moab (Velo) seat. After a 3 1/2 hr. ride the only thing that is sore is my lower back. All the components last well except for the chain (I weigh 160). The aluminum frame doesn't bother me although I am not a big jumper. No troubles with the Judy XC fork.

Brown's Ravine

Trek 820

98 MOAB 1 AL After two years I have only replaced the brake pads with XT/XTR brake inserts, shortened the bar ends and put Lizard Skins on, shortened the handlebar, put a quick release on the seat post and put a Velocirapter on the rear.

Submitted by D. Williams a Cross-Country Rider from Provo, UT

Date Reviewed: September 27, 1999

Strengths:
Bike feels quick and the frame is tough. Good Drivetrain and brakes.

Weaknesses:
Stock bars, seat, seatpost and rims are weak. The 98 Judy XC was a piece of junk. Stock chain was recalled because it kept breaking.

Bottom Line:
This bike handles better than I could have hoped for it to. It is smooth through the corners and has a great feel for climbing. It is limited by some of its stock components though (particularly if you are a heavier rider). I have beat this bike hard and have ended up having to replace the bars, seat, seatpost, and rims because of this. With these changes, though, I'm not even thinking about buying a new bike. The only problem is that I still have the junk up front in the Rock Shox. I'm hoping it somehow dies so I can rationalize changing it out. Overall this bike is fantastic, and performs great for the price. Don't hesitate getting one.

Cannondale, Gary Fisher, Specialized

Upgraded the shifters (XT), bar ends (Stubs), seat (Serfas), rims (Bontrager Mustangs w/ 99XT hubs), and tires (Mythos XC).

Submitted by Valerie Newkirk a Racer from Moore, OK

Date Reviewed: September 22, 1999

Strengths:
Handling and comfortable ride

Weaknesses:
hate the seat! It sucks a#$. Stock shock also sucks a@#.

Bottom Line:
It's like sex with strangers. Cheap and fun. It corners great, climbs great, and takes crash damage well.

New Draper Trail

schwinn mesa gx

LX/XT, Manitou FS ti, Continental tires.

Submitted by Chalon Furtado a Racer from Dallas,Ga

Date Reviewed: September 13, 1999

Strengths:
frame construction,geometry, avid brakes

Weaknesses:
stock tires,wheelset, stock bar,seat,shifters

Bottom Line:
this bike rips! Stiff,responsive,strong frame,all you would expect from an aluminum frame. Ditch the stock fork guts (they're made by mattel). otherwise BUY THIS BIKE! IT's a true thoughoghbred racer that begs to be ridden,hard and fast.It loves to be put away wet. A great buy.

Yellow river

1 Year

Schwinn moab 3

englund air cartriges, bontrager wheels and bar ends,ritchey pedals and bar, SDG comp ti seat and XTR shifters

Submitted by Adam a Cross-Country Rider from Asheville, NC

Date Reviewed: August 25, 1999

Strengths:
value
looks
shock
most everything

Weaknesses:
ass numbing seat
stock barends
wheels?
tires

Bottom Line:
I got mine for 799. Its really responsive on singletrack and climbs decently. After about 80 miles though, the cassette came apart. Don't really know what that was all about...Bike shop fixed under warranty. Put a new seat on before you ride any, unless you like not being able to feel your butt for the rest of the day. The tires are OK but not great. About a week ago, I bent the rear rim slightly. That was my fault really and the bike shop said it wasn't a problem. Other than that, I love my bike. It jumps over almost anything with no effort and likes to go very fast. Go find one on sale somewhere and get it.

less than 1 month

Specialized
Trek

98 Cromo, Judy XC, LX/XT, orange Profile barends, badass Onza grips - red w/porcupines, red Serfas seat

Submitted by Ace a Cross-Country Rider from CANMORE ALBERTA

Date Reviewed: August 11, 1999

Bottom Line:
This bike rules! I bought it for DIRT CHEAP. ONLY $1177 CANADIAN!!!!!!!!!! The only problem i've had was a broke a chain ring but warrenty fixed that. I used to hate the hard ass seat but i gave it some time to wear in and i LIKe IT!
FIVE flameing dogs!!

6 months

Submitted by JJ a Weekend Warrior from Wisconsin

Date Reviewed: August 10, 1999

Strengths:
Duribility of frame
I built MY bike from the frame up

Weaknesses:
I had to spend $$ to get rid of factory stock items

Bottom Line:
I built this bike from the frame up..after the local bike shop boys and I became friends..Sweet bike, and I'd ride it in winter if we didn't have soo much snow..It handles great in everything from Swamps, to forest, to sand, to flying throug the urban jungle

local loggin' roads

3 months

Cannondale, Gary Fisher, Trek, Specialized, GT, Mongoose, Klein

98' Moab 1 frame
Judy XCRock Shox ( old fork)
Rock Shox SID ( new fork)
Shimano Components

St. George/Moab ride offered March 1

Hey Ya'll I'm planning to head out to St. George, UT for a weekend of mountain biking/camping/shananigans this Friday March 1. It also happens that the Poison Spider shops [URL="http://poisonspiderbicycles.com/home/2012/12/28/thaw-2013-is-coming-march-1st-3rd/"]Thaw 2013[/URL] is happening this ... Read More »

Teams interested in riding Sedona/Durango/Fruita/Moab starting Oct.1 ?

We will be doing a road trip to these locations and would love other teams to ride with. Hit us up if any teams are interested whether you travel or live in these areas. Always fun to meet new teams. Weather should be great. B/NRead More »

Spring Break in Moab (part 1) - The Brand Trails

Spring Break in Moab (part 1) - The Brand Trails Here is the first ride report from our trip to Moab for Spring Break. This one covers the drive down as well as a ride at The Moab Brand Trails, a relatively new system of singletrack that is a great way to warm up for the area: [url=http://wheels ... Read More »

Spring Break in Moab (part 1) - The Brand Trails

Here is the first ride report from our trip to Moab for Spring Break. This one covers the drive down as well as a ride at The Moab Brand Trails, a relativly new system of singletrack that is a great way to warm up for the area: [URL="http://wheelsandwater.blogspot.com/2012/03/moab-part-1-moab-bra ... Read More »

Shuttle buddy in Moab for Mon/ Tues 11/ 1-2

Hey all, about three of us are heading out to Moab next week. We'll be there Monday morning, riding mon-Tues, and running back to Denver. Anybody want to shuttle UPS, Whole Enchilada on Tuesday preferably? We could do Monday, but it might be tight. What's the snow situ like? That last storm was ... Read More »