Schwinn Moab 1 Bike 1998 or Older

4.57/5 (199 Reviews)

Schwinn Moab 1

Submitted by MTBRX a Downhiller from Boise, ID

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2012

Strengths:    Strong, lightweight, nimble, responsible, climbs like a goat, practically bulletproof.

Weaknesses:    For today's sake (2012) component spec is weak. But, with a few minor up grades (SD-7 brakes w/ Kook-Stop pads. and planned upgrade to SRAM 7 drivetrain), it should be the ultimate low-cost hardtail.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike new in 1998 and have never regretted keeping it until now, 2012. A sure KEEPER.

Favorite Trail:   The Whole Enchilada

Purchased At:   Supergo, Huntington

Similar Products Used:   Hardtails, none. Specialized Stumpy 2007 FS, and my current heavy7" DH/FR FS bike.

Bike Setup:   Stock, other than a soften saddle for "manly concerns," SD-7 brakes replaced, riser bars, WTB Velicpaptor tires, Lizard Skin Moab grips, et al.

Submitted by Scott Stephenson a Cross Country Rider from Amherst Mass U S A

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2009

Strengths:    Cromoly Steel , excellent bike design,great high end Shimano Components, Very Strong Black and red dart paint design. nice brakes and brake levers, love the handle bar.Has matching RED and Black Rock shox.

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
This is a very thoughtfully made bike .From the frame to the design and the color scheme. The matching shocks were such a nice touch.The bike handles well. It is sturdy and looks really nice too. Considering what people paid for similar show off bikes in the nineties,this was a bargain and MORE than well worth the money. !!! The bike new was about 850.00. This bike is super !!

Favorite Trail:   Rail trail and everywhere else

Purchased At:   New Old STock Ebay

Similar Products Used:   older Cromoly steel bikes Croll custom bike Mongoose Stumpjumpers.

Bike Setup:   Stock and all that i mentioned above.

Submitted by Greg Gibbert a Weekend Warrior from Thousand Oaks, Ca. U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2007

Strengths:    Sent in my KTM 520 Engine for rebuilding

Weaknesses:    Did Not install parts I paid for

Bottom Line:
They ripped me off, they chsrged me for parts that were not installed and for work that they did not do, and they damaged my motor with some of the work that they did do.
I would Highley NOT recommend that any one let them touch there motor.
It also took them over 6 months to do the work, and I was told it would only take 6 weeks.
If you want proof just email me!

Favorite Trail:   Jawbone

Purchased At:   Evansville Super Bike Shop

Bike Setup:   by Gary Virgin

Submitted by Dino Scalzo a Cross Country Rider from Minneapolis MN

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2007

Strengths:    Race frame geometry, It's all about the frame, the wishbone style, epicenter seat stay design is excellent for v-brakes. It's a replica of the Homegrown frame that was made in the Yeti factory in CO It's race bred.

Bottom Line:
These bikes are among the best bikes made for mountain biking.

Favorite Trail:   luce line

Purchased At:   Columbia Heights Schwinn

Similar Products Used:   Stumpjumper, Hardrock Comp

Bike Setup:   Original 8 speed rapid fire shifters, Control Tech seatpost, XT shifters, XT hubs, Wheelsmith DB spokes,
Rhyno Lite rims, Schwalbe 2.35" slicks, Downhill tubes, Surly 1x1 fork, Selle Italia Flite Saddle, Nuke proof 135mm 0 degree rise stem. Handlebars from my old Stumpjumper with Pedros Blackwalls.

Submitted by Jake a Cross Country Rider from Pitssburgh, PA

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2006

Strengths:    Good parts value, aggressive, speed inducing geometry that even $2000 comp level bikes lack.

Weaknesses:    None considering its price - lower end components acceptable

Bottom Line:
If Schwinn still made serious XC hardtails today, I would get a Homegrown. The geometry of the Moabs were very similar to the homegrown, and I have not ridden a bike so aggressive since. The bike lasted 3 hard years - the biginnings of my love affair with MTB'ing and XC.

Though impressive in many ways, my frame lost much of it's original "oomph," probably due to lower grade aluminum succumbing to stresses (it has S-seatstays, too.) This shouldn't matter much for someone buying an old used bike for putzing on... IT'S A PIECE OF HISTORY, GO AHEAD AND BUY IT!

Favorite Trail:   Dry and Fast

Purchased At:   New at LBS back in the day

Similar Products Used:   Univega Alpina 700

Bike Setup:   Stock until parts failed and were replaced. No parts failed pre-maturely.

Submitted by Dave a Cross Country Rider from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2005

Strengths:    Steel frame

Weaknesses:    Low-end components

Bottom Line:
I saw this thing (the 100th Anniversary Edition) in the window of Goodwill this morning while waiting for the Municipal Court annex to open. For 20 bucks, why not get it? Took it home, and so far have cleaned the cassette, trued the wheels, and replaced the rim tape. Tires (Kendas) are getting a bit nasty, but pumped up both flat tubes and it rode nice. Need to shed the goofy barends, though (who the hell uses those anymore?) and finish cleaning off the nine years' worth of crud. It'll make a decent beater...

Favorite Trail:   They're ALL my favorites

Purchased At:   Goodwill

Similar Products Used:   Current bike: Motobecane 600HT; previous: GT Aggressor, Saddleback

Bike Setup:   Stock, Specialized saddle

Submitted by Scott a Racer from Pensacola, Florida

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2003

Strengths:    Good looking, nimble, strong.

Weaknesses:    Schwinn is now owned by Pacific

Bottom Line:
Great bike. I'll never part with it! If the frame finally has enough of my abuse and snaps, I'll be on eBay to buy another 90-something Moab or Homegrown. The geometry is perfect and after all these years the frame still looks cool. Too bad the Schwinn legacy is no-longer, thanks to the mass-merchandising of the line.

Favorite Trail:   Oak Mountain, Alabama

Purchased At:   Homewood Cycle & Fitness

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn High Plains, Gary Fisher HT, others

Bike Setup:   LX, Deore. Thudbuster seatpost

Submitted by fatcat from hollywood, calif USA

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2003

Strengths:    100% chromoly frame, "epicenter" seatstay

Weaknesses:    RST( antique) 2" travel fork, ProMax top pull cantilever brakes & levers, Shimano Acera hubs & Weiman wheels, Grip Shift shifters, Moab "heavier-than-hell" steel handlebar & stem

Bottom Line:
This is an ugly 17" burgundy steel, late1995 Moab2 that was collecting dust at my local bikeshop. Its been in the shop since late 95, and according to the bikeshop owner, has been looked at by very few people. Why? It was pathetic--w/ the old cantilever brakes, 2" travel RST burgundy colored to match fork, dusty framed and some stupid jerk stole the front "Schwinn" emblem from the headtube, leaving half the sticker residue. It was originally a $599 bike. I paid $350 for it including the updated parts(see above). I also managed to find a round "Schwinn Quality" sticker for the front head tube. Its a real nice ride now. 7 speed is outdated but it rides great. Steel is real. A bit heavy but nice. The bike w/ its 100mm Marzocchi Z1 slips through any bumpy trail with ease. I think the "epicenter" seat stay makes the frame easier to handle(maybe psychological). Burgundy isn't my favorite colour for a bike, but with its handling and updates, its now pretty sweet. It also sports a "historic"
sticker on the seat tube----"Schwinn 1895-1995 100 Year Anniversary"

Purchased At:   bike.2itB.com

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher "Hoo Koo Doo Doo" pile of crap hardtail

Bike Setup:   With a limited budget, I bought a used orange Marzocchi Z1 Bam fork w/ 100mm travel (4"), put Shimano Deore V brakes and XT levers on for stopping, bought a pair of black Alex rims and Formula hubs, Kore downhill handlebar and a stem from a 2003
Mesa GSX. I left the "Grip Ships" on (until they break)
Maxxis 2.35 Mofos front and rear.

Submitted by Gregory Horn a Weekend Warrior from Gainesville, Fl.

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2002

Strengths:    Frame!!! Great feel, ride, and control. Love the blue paint on my '97 aluminum Moab. Couldn't beat the price at $200 bucks. Didn't know what I was buying at the time. Talked into it by a friend. Wow!!! Glad I did.

Weaknesses:    Killed the BB after 6 months of wet/dry sandy rides and too much cleaning. A little heavy at 28 lbs. Forks were ok until I bought a real set of '02 Psylo's. Heavy but awesome.

Bottom Line:
Loved the bike from the start. Sold a heavy dual suspension bike when I found this one and don't miss it a bit. This bike really rips now with the mods. Just did 12 miles today test and tune. Had to add the heavier front spring for my 185 lb. frame. Biggest problem is me being out of shape at 43 (married with children). Got into mountain biking to give me and my 10 year old daughter excersize. Does it ever work! Lost allmost 20 pounds and feel beter than ever.
I can't even begin to ride this bike to it's full potential. Working on it though. JAMMER

Favorite Trail:   San-Felasco Hammock

Purchased At:   Collecting dust in someones garage.

Similar Products Used:   Treks, Cannondale, Giant Rainer, Pro-Flex, more...

Bike Setup:   Just added '02 Psylo U-Turn forks, XT disc hubs with Rhyno-Lite hubs, Hayes Hydro-Mag 8" front disc, Trek gel seat, Specialized chronometer, 40* risor, Ride-On Gortex cables, WTB "Kevlar" Velociraptor tires front/rear, grips, Raceface BB, etc.

Submitted by Rich Williams from Kingston

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2002

Strengths:    Frame is strong and good looking.Good mix of original components,just this year have I started udgrading..

Weaknesses:    Alittle on the heavy side,but after a few upgrades,it's slimmed down abit...That's more than I can say for myself..

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike in 99 for 500 bucks and here we are in 2002 and it has been the best purchase I have made..It's quick and responsive.I've raced it...crashed it...jumped it...and everything else...I ride 3 to 4 times a week and it's still here....I recomend this bike to anyone....who can find one that is!!!!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Jockey Hill

Purchased At:   Private sale

Similar Products Used:   GT Zaskar LE(stolen off my front porch)

Bike Setup:   Moab1 frame.Ryno lite w/xt disc hubs.XT front and rear der..Raceface cranks...Kore,hellbent,XTR shifter/brake levers and Avid disc on front...

Submitted by matthew a Downhiller from flagstaff, arizona, USA

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2002

Strengths:    this bike holds up very good i have never hade to replace iany thing exept tires and hadlel bar grips.

Weaknesses:    i found no weaknesses

Bottom Line:
this is a very good bike to own i will recmend it to evryone

Favorite Trail:   mount elden

Purchased At:   high gear sports

Similar Products Used:   99 haro escape , 01 gt agressor very hevey

Bike Setup:   all lx components

Submitted by Scott Grubbs a Racer from Pensacola, Florida

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2002

Strengths:    Nice looking colors and design. Strong, aggressive, nimble.

Weaknesses:    sized a little small. Other than that, the 1998 version is great. Currently, however, Pacific Bike Inc. (who now owns Schwinn) is a little slow on the support of product. Schwinn name being tainted by Pacific's desire to make a Wal-Mart POS version of this once respected company.

Bottom Line:
I got this frame as a warranty replacement for my 1991 Schwinn High Plans Alum which finally gave up in 1998 during a ride. Schwinn sent me the Moab frame as a replacement, and having this great frame moved me from the casual weekend rider to the serious racing rider. 2 words: Great frame. Good enough for racing. Dependable and very aggressive geometry. Even though the frame is nearly 5 years old, the colors and design still look good. Excellent for the $$. Pacific owns Schwinn now. We will see if they maintain the line.

Favorite Trail:   www.porc.org

Purchased At:   Homewood Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn Highplains (old school), Schwinn Mesa

Bike Setup:   Mostly Deore LX, Thudbuster seatpost...

Submitted by Ron Rawson a Cross Country Rider from Costa Mesa, CA

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2002

Strengths:    Great Frame, Cool Paint, Good Seat

Weaknesses:    Rims are not great

Bottom Line:
This is an excellent bike for the money. The bike handles well and has really held up. I have over 4,500 miles of hard riding on this bike an almost nothing has ever broken.

Favorite Trail:   El Moro Canyon

Purchased At:   Supergo

Bike Setup:   LX Rear Derailer, XT Hubs, Sun Rims, 545 Pedals

Submitted by Josef a Racer from Milpitas,Calif, USA

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2001

Strengths:    Stiff frame which is good for fast takeoffs and sprints.Climbs on the middle ring.Does not bobbed while climbing,despite using the stock Rock Shok Indy fork.Trick Orange and Black Phantom style retro paint scheme.

Weaknesses:    None really,except the rear Epicenter stays seems to look out of alignment.Most noticable with the rear wheelset mounted.Doesn't effect handling.Shimano STX components heavy.Mavic X-138 rims weak,always busting spokes or getting out of true.My being 200lbs is not the reason as I'm riding the same Wheelsmith built Specialized B-23 and Z-21 rims for more then 9 years without breaking a spoke.

Bottom Line:
Great frame.So-so components that are worth upgrading.Indy fork has been broken in and it's holding up to my riding.It's a great fork,nothing fancy.The way I like it.
The Epicenter Ride Tuned frame is worth buying alone if you want to build a budget race bike.

Favorite Trail:   Joseph D. Grant park

Purchased At:   Reed's Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Compared to my Santa Cruz Chameleon,same.My 2nd aluminum frame since the 1989 Raliegh Technium with bonded Aluminum frameset.This bike rides much better than the Technium.

Bike Setup:   Frame,brakeset and Indy fork stock.Custom built Suntour XC Expert rear derailleur with ShiftBiscuit pulleys and Ti bolts.Shimano XT front changer.Suntour XC Expert Topmounts.Shimano 8 speed Hyperdrive cassette,Sedi chain.Avid 10 brakes hooked up to Deore levers.Chris King headset.Titec stem and seatpost.Bontranger 46/34/22 crankset,Odyssey Svelt cage pedals.Specialized B-23 rims,Wheelsmith spokes,Hutchinson 2.00 Mosquito Airlights,Specilized Ultrathin presta valves,Controltech Skewerless skewers.Bike is set up old school style for lightweight and durabilty.Will play tag with the big boys costing much more.

Submitted by Adam Amrhein from Cranberry, PA

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2001

Strengths:    Solid solid bike. I have the original forks, seat, rear wheel, tires, brakes, and derailures and they are all working as well as the day I bought them.

Weaknesses:    it is not my mom

Bottom Line:
I ride hard, alot. I probably ride 3 times a week. Nothing has worn out, down to the drive drive train. I lean more towards freeriding and the bike has never held me back, but I have also raced in expert classes and it was light and quick enough. Plain and simple, the bike is my best friend. It is reliable, good looking, light, and tuff.

Favorite Trail:   Hartwood Acres

Purchased At:   Gatto

Similar Products Used:   Plethora of other mtbs.

Bike Setup:   race face bars, cranks, bottom bracket. LX front wheel.

Going to Moab in 1995 on my new then Gary Fisher RS-1

I heard about this epic place to ride called "Moab" in one of the western states, not sure exactly which one but I planned on going there. I understand it's in Utah, so we pack up our bikes, a 16" Bear Valley SE and my Gary Fisher RS-1, I got a "19 or "20 because that's all they had. It was hell eve ... Read More »

St. George/Moab ride offered March 1

Hey Ya'll I'm planning to head out to St. George, UT for a weekend of mountain biking/camping/shananigans this Friday March 1. It also happens that the Poison Spider shops [URL="http://poisonspiderbicycles.com/home/2012/12/28/thaw-2013-is-coming-march-1st-3rd/"]Thaw 2013[/URL] is happening this ... Read More »

Teams interested in riding Sedona/Durango/Fruita/Moab starting Oct.1 ?

We will be doing a road trip to these locations and would love other teams to ride with. Hit us up if any teams are interested whether you travel or live in these areas. Always fun to meet new teams. Weather should be great. B/NRead More »

Spring Break in Moab (part 1) - The Brand Trails

Spring Break in Moab (part 1) - The Brand Trails Here is the first ride report from our trip to Moab for Spring Break. This one covers the drive down as well as a ride at The Moab Brand Trails, a relatively new system of singletrack that is a great way to warm up for the area: [url=http://wheels ... Read More »

Spring Break in Moab (part 1) - The Brand Trails

Here is the first ride report from our trip to Moab for Spring Break. This one covers the drive down as well as a ride at The Moab Brand Trails, a relativly new system of singletrack that is a great way to warm up for the area: [URL="http://wheelsandwater.blogspot.com/2012/03/moab-part-1-moab-bra ... Read More »