Schwinn Homegrown Bike Bike 1998 or Older

4.59/5 (117 Reviews)

Schwinn Homegrown XT

Submitted by jimbob a Cross Country Rider from Bozeman, MT

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2010

Strengths:    Light and stiff handling like a hardtail
Plush comfort over rock garden descents
16 years of solid trucking
Climbing is a joy

Weaknesses:    Rear pivot creak
Replacement of rear shock, cassette

Bottom Line:
I may be shopping for a sexier new ride, but after spectator riding 2 Worlds at Vail and 16 years of never fail XC service all over the Rockies, this bike is not for sale!

Favorite Trail:   Soooo many to choose

Similar Products Used:   Before 1994, only irrelevant hardtails

Bike Setup:   Cross Max wheels added to 1994 factory w/ XT-XTR setup

Submitted by Homey Hogrown a Cross Country Rider from boise, id, USA

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2010

Strengths:    I love the URT Homegrown (RIP).
I have a main pivot (brand new) and other homegrown schwag for sale. banner/der.hangers, bottles hogrown@aol.com

Weaknesses:    these frames are bob-a-licious
(also the 4 banger) but the new platform valved suspension makes these frames relevent again

Bottom Line:
i did some of my most epic/ memorable riding on these bikes. all over the southwest and mid-atlantic.
aluminum does not last forever :(
and the frames have become obsolete
new suspension advances make them relevent again

Similar Products Used:   From URT to 4 Banger to a Blur (this evolution occurred over 7 years

Bike Setup:   yes

Submitted by cmaki1 a Weekend Warrior from Fargo, ND USA

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2009

Strengths:    Fast and somewhat forgiving. The full suspension Homegrown matches up as well today as it did when I bought it in 98.

Weaknesses:    Need to adjust the ergonomics with age the frame with the stock Core neck is a bit long, but this can be adjusted with changed parts.

Bottom Line:
The homegrown full suspension has worked well for me for years. It replaced my hardtail rockhopper that I loved. I was a bit aprehensive about the full suspension, but having that back tire with the ability to smooth out bumps made me faster. It has preformed well in an XC race eating up rocks like a jackhammer. The homegrown has also been a good trail bike, and now crosstraining bike with semi slick tires on it.
I think the long length of the bike suits long bodied people well. The long bent over angle can be uncomfortable on extra long rides for some.
The homegrown is a good XC race or fast trail bike that can eat up small bumps with ease. If you ride competetively or just like going fast this is a good bike. It is not a full fleged Down Hill bike, but has enough travel to eliminate most of the pounding transfered to your body from the trail. If you can still find one around I would recommend buying it, and possibly throwing on a pair of DH bars or a different stem.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere on the Iron Range

Purchased At:   Scheels emplyee purc

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Rockhopper hardtail, Schwinn Predator BMX back in the day

Bike Setup:   LX/XT full suspension. Homegrown Red tomatoe

Submitted by kerussel a Weekend Warrior from Decatur, Ga

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2008

Bottom Line:
Need replacement Decals formy bass boat blue homegrown fs

Purchased At:   Challenge Schwinn

Submitted by Chad McDonald a Cross Country Rider from Rapid City

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2007

Weaknesses:    not enough travel

Bottom Line:
Been riding this bike for ten years and still love it but not as much as as I did when I first got it. Bottom line this bike is a perfect x country race rig because it is stiff, climbs well, and takes some of the beating off your body. With the new suspensions out there with 5 plus inches of travel this one just does not compete for an all purpose bike anymore. If I had a desire to race any more I would still use this bike no question. I have owned the Homegrown XT Full Suspension and the same hardtail version but regretted getting rid of the Full the first race I did on the hardtail. They ride so much a like in terms of handeling but I noticed the beating my body was taking after the first 2-3 miles. I sold the hardtail a month later and ordered the bass boat blue frame and built it up. I do not race anymore so I am now in the market for an all mountain bike like a yeti 575. These are great bikes but if you are looking for travel and a plush ride you should look in another direction.

Purchased At:   employee purchase

Similar Products Used:   Homegrown Full Suspensionn XT, Trek, Fisher, Klein

Bike Setup:   Chris King Hubs, Race Face cranks, xtr brakes, xt derailers, xray shifters, scott thermoplastic bar, control tech stem and post and a hevy but comfy San Marco Ti Saddle

Submitted by cj farnsworth a Cross-Country Rider from moretown vt

Date Reviewed: September 15, 1999

Strengths:
good for downhill only

Weaknesses:
under water rear shock sticks, lose traction on hard hills

Bottom Line:
need to make rear shock water tight, need to create traction system like GT.

east jesus

tested or demo'ed only

gery fisher joshewa

hoo koo e koo, atom bombs

Submitted by GShort a Weekend Warrior from Memphis TN

Date Reviewed: September 11, 1999

Strengths:
Sweet-Spot
Made In USA
Light Weight

Weaknesses:
Brake Cable routing

Bottom Line:
After riding an S-20 for the last 2 years, I liked the Sweet-Spot design for the trails I ride, but wanted to loose some of the weight. The Homegrown Factory was just what the doctor ordered. I picked the frame up here in the marketplace (Thanks Marc) and once built up with sturdy lightweight parts, Acheived a great trail bike at 25lbs and some change. Mine is the polished one, which I think never goes out of style. This bike handles like a hardtail when climbing or sprinting, but takes on all the roots and rocks with aplomb. I feel I loose nothing over my hardtail (which I sold, since I never ride it anymore) and gain comfort and control. My bike and I feel connected as one. Ahhhhh, life is good. That's enough for now, I gotta go ride.

less than 1 month

S-20,FSR,I-Drive,and all the rest of the Full-Biongers.

King,Race Face,LP composites,Avid,Bonty Jones,Thomson,AD-10, RST XMO,WTB,etc.

Submitted by Jim Parman Jr. a Cross-Country Rider from Fond du Lac, Wisconsin

Date Reviewed: September 10, 1999

Strengths:
Good handeling, very responsive, flies uphills as well as down them, quick, resposive shifting, smooth, 99' judy xc ( can we say nice?) fast, fast, fast, fast, fast... all made in the good old USA HOMEGROWN

Weaknesses:
front tire didn't grip well in corners (riders fault) promptly replaced with bontrager jones, frame flex with rear brake, installed a brace, avid brakes not as good as the should/could bepremature breakage:
2 days: tioga aheadset
2 mos: deore lx center chainring
all problems warrantiedgoing to try ss tires to get more speed on hardpack

Bottom Line:
aside frome the little things, and the stuff that i would consider riders preferance, this is a wicked bike..... i would recommend it to anyone, and everone.... she flies

calumet county park

trek 8000
specialized ???
gary fisher big sur
mongoose 7.3
gt avalanche

all factory with the exception of onza barends, brake brace, and front tire was changed from a michelin to a bontrager

Submitted by Jay a Racer from Salt Lake, Utah

Date Reviewed: August 30, 1999

Strengths:
precise control, great acceleration, it loves singletrack as much as I do!

Weaknesses:
a few creaks

Bottom Line:
This bike has gotten me on the podium 8 of 10 races this year. Just missed the podium at Deer Valley Nationals w/ a 4th place. Here's a kicker. My bike just got stolen. I'm going to get another Homegrown FS. Is there any other option? I,m sleeping w/ my new one. My wife is going to be a little upset. If you don't have a Homegrown Full Suspension, get one.

all at Deer Valley

2 Years

Klein Mantra, Spclzed FSR, C'dale

Schwinn Homegrown Factory F.S., Judy XC, riser bar

Submitted by TimG a Cross-Country Rider from Riverside, CA

Date Reviewed: August 4, 1999

Strengths:
Wonderfully plush suspension, firm ride that soaks up the small and big stuff with disdain, geometry that tracks the trail like a luge run, bunnyhops like it's unfamiliar with gravity, and wheelies with the greatest of ease.

Weaknesses:
Suspension squeaks when standing and pedaling hard uphill, V-brakes tend to grind on super steep, gnarly downhills.

Bottom Line:
I was happily able to recently purchase a '97 HG FS that was in very good shape for a steal (Thanks, Steve!), and just can't say enough good things about the bike. The more I ride it, the faster I go and the more I let myself fly. The bike has a phenomenal ability to soak up bumps and harsh conditions with such aplomb I almost forget I'm going off of 2 foot high ledges and over rock fields. Given a little preloading and a good push, it'll clear a couple feet of air off of small bumps -- sometimes I wonder if it's going to forget to come down again. I was worried that the ride would be compromised on rough terrain when I was standing on the downhills, but such has not been the case at all. If anything, it works better, because the ride stays firm enough to keep you in touch with what's going on, while letting the bike move under you and calmly absorb that which is trying to launch you off the bike.
The bottom line for me is: I can't wait to ride, ride, ride, and get faster and faster on it, on a wider and wider variety of terrain, and on tougher ascents and descents, to truly enjoy the beauty of the suspension. I don't know that I'd pay $3,500 for the bike, just because that's too much money for a bike, but it was DEFINETELY worth the money used. Terrific bike!

Box Springs Downhill

less than 1 month

Trek Y-frame, Specialized FSR Pro, Pro-Flex FS, Titus Racer-X, Mongoose FS.

1997 Homegrown XTR Factory full suspension bike with Judy SL in front and Super Deluxe in back.

Submitted by Dave a Racer from maine

Date Reviewed: June 28, 1999

Strengths:
Light weight
Stiff bottom bracket area
Full XTR

Weaknesses:
Price

Bottom Line:
This bike kicks ass! I had always ridden a hardtail in the past, but I never will again. I am certain that I am able to go faster on this bike and it is so much more fun to ride. The suspension works well on the climbs, and provides excellent traction on loose, steep ascents. The frame also feels quite stiff laterally I think due to the large pivot and the machine work around the bottom bracket. I think that it was a wise choice for Schwinn to switch to the Time pedals on their 99 bikes, but the ATAC is much more durable than the Alium (I've already broken one set on a rock). The rest of the componentery is great- Ti seatpost, stem, and bars from Titec.
A full XTR gruppo, and Rockshox suspension and Mavic 217's. Not much to complain about. I would reccomend this bike to anyone.

too numerous to list

Stock Factory XTR except
for a Raceface crankset
and Time ATAC pedals

Submitted by Frosch a Cross-Country Rider from Denver, Co

Date Reviewed: May 14, 1999

Strengths:
Even though this is not the cutting edge tech, the SweetSpot Geometry™ is one of the best XC innovations in years. The critics like to complain about the reverse logic of it's suspension. Of course any XC rider (read DH Su*ks) knows this is a strength. Don't let this exellent stiff single pivot XC design/geometry die.

Weaknesses:
Loser rapid rise derailluer. That WILL be replaced.
Feeble Michelin tires.

Bottom Line:
Insane bike with few flaws, delivers smooth ride, reduced ride fatigue, and more stability at nominal cost in handeling and hillclimbing.
And I got 60% off for buying 98 stock. :)

3 months

I also own a 97 Moab 2 CrMo hardtail, that I plan to keep.

All standard eqip exept rear wheel upgraded to Chris King/Mavic 517(perfection), and Conti CrossCountry/Explorer Pro Kevlar.

Submitted by david a Racer from boulder, co

Date Reviewed: May 7, 1999

Strengths:
Going up, going down, going flat

Bottom Line:
I have had my Homegrown XT for a few mounths now and I love it. I put some more XTR on it and a bar end shifter, it rules. The disk brake has great stopping power and nothing happens to it in the rain or in mud. Also the seat post can go way down so I make some bad atemts at trials riding. You need to get one of these, quick, hurry get of the net now and get to the bike shop, run!

6 months

Submitted by max tats a Weekend Warrior from Denver, Colorado

Date Reviewed: May 6, 1999

Bottom Line:
I have a TREK Y-5

2 Years

Submitted by Mike Goldberg a cross-country rider from new york

Date Reviewed: March 3, 1999

Bottom Line:

I just threw a Judy100 on this bad b^tch just to make the off-season interesting. Had this beast for over a year, chrome dont chip my brothers.
Snycros, xtr, 747's, WTB, whatever. This gem treated me well at Mt. Snow (august 98) indeed it did.
This bike is a sure-fire way to get BD on the trail (balls deep). This bike has what it takes to get me on the podium.
one of the top 5 hardtails of all time. If you disagree it's only because you dont know Homegrown like I do. Its a strong bike I'll tell ya. Dont believe the bike mags when they say this honey doesnt climb so great..Take off the riser bars motherf^ck@

2006 PAMBA I-74 Homegrown Mountain Bike Festival (Peoria, IL)

Sept. 22, 23, 24 Brought to you by: PAMBA, CORBA, KMBC, FORC Dudes and Hotties....this year's fest looks to be a goodie!!! We have the usual events: DH and MTX on Saturday...along with group rides, huffy toss, and other fun events. XC races with the crowning of the series champions on Sunday ... Read More »