Schwinn High Plains Bike Bike 1998 or Older

4.09/5 (47 Reviews)

Schwinn High Plains

Submitted by Ed Mc Kenna

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2014

Strengths:    A strong, reliable, brute of a bike, easy to maintain, 90s cool looking.

Weaknesses:    Knobbies only o.k for off pavement, narrow bars

Bottom Line:
Bought new in 1990, I used it for on/off road training and leisure riding for 4 years. Went everywhere on it, through and to the woods. Put away wet for ten years,then handed it down to my son, who rode it all through High school and after. Got left on his friends driveway and got run over by a pick up. Amazingly little damage, I got it back, literally fixed it with a hammer and crowbar, and started riding it again. Took on vacations to NC and Cape Cod, and am now doing bike paths on it.
Changed out the saddle, put some bar ends on it, and mounted Panaracer Urban Max tires, to Home Brew Hybrid it(no more woods), and I really want to ride it for ever.
A little slow, and a little heavy, but for what I use it for, it is perfect. No frills, no suspension, no problems. Just regular maintenance.
What a pity Swhinn went on to drop the ball, this was one of those products they could of put their reputation on.

Submitted by brian7868 a Weekend Warrior from Peoria, IL, USA

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2010

Strengths:    Dependable and durable. I've had this bike since new in 1990. I've easily ridden it 2000 miles mostly on gravel and asphalt trails but from time to time I tackle some crazy stuff also. I've taken several pretty rough spills on the bike but nothing has ever broke or needed to be replaced (except tires and the crank bearing which failed after the first year...). I love the oval sprockets and the center pull brakes

Weaknesses:    wish the rear tire had a quick release

Bottom Line:
I love this bike. From time to time I look at new bikes but I always leave thinking that other than disc brakes and suspension the new bikes have nothing on this bike. Plus I love the oval sprockets and the push button shifting. This bike has never let me down in all those miles and believe me when I say I'm not easily pleased by most products...

Purchased At:   Idaho Falls, ID

Bike Setup:   stock except for new tires

Submitted by 20DISME a Weekend Warrior from Fairfax, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2010

Bottom Line:
I have just hit 20 years with this bike and have never had anything go wrong with it. I have replaced each of the tires only once (actually the rear tire gum walls began flaking apart only this year, and so was replaced). I have not had to replace the brakes and have had no problems with any of the other components. My riding has been mainly roads and gravel/dirt trails and the bike has been great for this. I am looking to buy a new bike this year, but will probably hold on to my high plains.

Submitted by theroadmaster a Cross Country Rider from Round Rock, TX

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2009

Strengths:    Indestructible

Weaknesses:    Age of components

Bottom Line:
Last week I saw this forlorn bike sitting at the curb for Monday morning pickup - covered in barn and mouse dust - I couldn't resist, the sign on it said "very dirty fixer upper." One tire held air, a used tube fixed the other. Some serious de-scunging, de-greasing, and good lubing got it running and the more I ride it the more I am impressed with this old classic. It is about the same weight as my full-suspension Univega - but it feels lighter, and I guess, because of the steel frame, seems to absorb bumps as well as the full-suspension Uni. In its day this must have been one impressive bike - it has impressed me. If you find one, buy it/grab it/don't let it get away.

Favorite Trail:   Brushy Creek Bike Trail

Purchased At:   Rescued from trash

Similar Products Used:   Univega DS900, Trek 4500, department store crud.

Bike Setup:   As found - mostly stock as far as I can tell.

Submitted by BlueGrassBlazer a Weekend Warrior from Louisville, KY

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2009

Strengths:    Strong and durable. I bought this in '91 and it's still going strong. This was a daily commuter and errand bike I also used for training and exercise. It has survived all kinds of abuse. I have never cleaned this bike and it still shifts fine. I have had this bike for 18 years and it still does its job.

Weaknesses:    I usually ride this on pavement and so handling isn't all that great. Most likely due to the huge knobby tires I have. Also, the thing is heavy...real heavy. I've ridden my road bike all summer but took the High Plains out for a ride the other day and thought I was gonna die. I obviously need more saddle time on it.

Bottom Line:
Great bike. I was offered a Stump Jumper at the same time for the same price but went with the High Plains. It just felt right. I rode that bike daily for years and it withstood all I could throw at it. I'll likely clean it up really good and then put some thinner hybrid tires on it...maybe new rims and try to bring the weight down some. I expect I'll be riding this bike 18 years from now.

Favorite Trail:   Any

Purchased At:   Livermore Cyclery, C

Similar Products Used:   None other

Bike Setup:   All original except the seat and tires.

Submitted by flyin by a Weekend Warrior from USA

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2009

Strengths:    Fast and durable

Weaknesses:    gears slip

Bottom Line:
best yard sale bike ever.

Favorite Trail:   NA

Purchased At:   yard sale

Bike Setup:   what?

Submitted by Fiero Biker a Weekend Warrior from Death Valley, CA

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2009

Strengths:    This is one of those WOW! bikes. Dependable and Durable, This one NEVER! fails to get me Home. First Purchased by a Relative @ Ft. Bragg in '90 (After serving as a RENTAL! for ONE YEAR!) He used it for THREE YEARS up there, Daily, Three Miles each way to/from work + Lunch Runs & Weekend park rides> (all @ 6'4"210+Lbs!!!) Wheels & Frame took it! 3-4 years after returning to SoCal, he Retired it to me (6'0"190Lbs.) Over 2000mi later I still love it! Paint is Good, Derailment Still Good, Original Seat, Brakes, Dérailleurs, Cables, Bearings,Rims, Hubs & Spokes & Reflectors! Bike still looks good & a Pleasure to Ride, Handles Very Good (for No Suspension). I have a Great Mechanic that works on these shifters and keeps this bike in tune (he says you can't get any more parts for them?) Durable Bike! Everything is still tight and works fine. This will be the bike of choice for any self respecting Cockroach in the dark years to come ~ As they will be able to hand it down to THEIR Children! The Bio Pace is a smart idea, Aluminum Frame is well designed, This is a VERY well built bike and I am more than happy with it!

Weaknesses:    The stock handlebars ~ too low.
Shifters are supposed to be hard to get parts for now.

Bottom Line:
Maybe one of the best mass produced specialty bikes to have been mass produced in the USA in the late 80's???

Favorite Trail:   The Whole Desert

Purchased At:   Realative Gave It To

Similar Products Used:   Other two wheeled, human powered contraptions.

Bike Setup:   4" rise handlebars, Gel Grips, "Swiss Army" pattern tires, 65#psi Kevlar Tubes, Lights F/B. Aluminum "Schwinn" rack (rear), Aluminum Bottle Cage, On Board Air Pump. The rest to this bike is stock and is holding up VERY well, *20 years after it was built - and it still looks good!

Submitted by drew2002 a Weekend Warrior from Milford Ma USA

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2009

Strengths:    This bike is probably the best department store ever made has shocks 26 speed survived bmx stunts dont recomend it though when i first got i hated it thought it was uncomfortable and difficult to handle compared to my first bike (a pacific) fell in love though I love cycling though i prefer to keep on a budget and this invincible bike achieves that greatest cheap bike ever

Weaknesses:    original seat is unconfortable

Bottom Line:
This bike got me into cycling and cycling kinda changed my life for the better I now i sound a little crazy and most who read this would not buy a cheap bike. Not to get into my life story but this bike was my 13 birthday present and got me started and has been with me every step of the way since. great valu has been to bike shops for repairs due to my on stupidity and was deemed the very minimal of a bike worth fixing my bike shop guy calls it the scwine as a joke because of being the only department store bike he feels is worth fixing sorry for being off topic

Favorite Trail:   Milford bike trial

Purchased At:   Toys R Us

Similar Products Used:   1996 mitsubishi this department store bike can actually be fairlly compared in quality to the mitsubishi

Bike Setup:   easy to control

Submitted by mike a Weekend Warrior from bound brook nj usa

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2009

Strengths:    durable

Weaknesses:    no shocks , hard ride

Bottom Line:
cant kill it !!!(will outlast me ),had it for 17 years

Favorite Trail:   towpath

Purchased At:   schwinn dealer

Similar Products Used:   newer bikes

Submitted by jerbear56 a Weekend Warrior from Kansas City, Mo

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2009

Strengths:    Reliability & Durability - like a Timex watch or an Energizer bunny

Weaknesses:    Heavy

Bottom Line:
I've owned this bike since new in 1990. It has never needed repair or adjustment (unlike the I-Drive,Trek, and C-Dales I've owned). It's durability and reliability are its strenghts. No, it's no Releigh M80 (I consider this one of the best hard-tails ever). The High Plains has never missed a gear, or had any drive train problems (I'm 5-9 and 220 lbs, so you can figure the stress it had to take). It is heavy and thus a little clumsy compared to today's standards. This is the perfect recreational trail bike (like the Katy or any of those type of trails). There are better bikes for thrashing, with better qualities. I got my money out of it. I am going to invest in a QR for the back wheel, that was the only item that irritated me. If you see one at a garage sale, it will be worth the cost. Bottom line - if you need an inexpensive, urban or flat-trail steed, that is reliable, cost little to maintain, and will always get you home - this was it.

Favorite Trail:   Little Blue

Purchased At:   Wheeler's Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Raleigh M80

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Paul Mc from Nowhere Zen NJ

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2007

Strengths:    The cromo frame, plus the Bio-pace makes me damn faster for sure.

Weaknesses:    Derailers held up, but not much else

Bottom Line:
This bike was made back when schwinn still took itself seriously--early `90's--and its a shame I will have to look elsehwere when it comes time to replace my zippy rigid ride. If you happen upon one of these dinosaurs know that you are seeing a beast that will slay any living lizard, point out the rust, talk them down and lead the machine to a happy new life where it will die a proper death, out on a trail.

Favorite Trail:   Mt Misery

Purchased At:   My brothers' atic

Similar Products Used:   trek 820, Fisher Marlin

Bike Setup:   new quil and handlesbar with shimano trigger shifters (ripped from a trash picked junker), Welgo peddles, new cables and a 9-speed sram chain, plus a whole lot of greese

Submitted by Will a Weekend Warrior from Charlotte, NC

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2007

Strengths:    Bike is near indestructible and after all these years the paint still looks good. Solid cho-mo frame.

Weaknesses:    Deraillers that were hi-end at the time are not so hot now.

Bottom Line:
If you bought one of these dinosaurs back in the 90's it owes you nothing and you and me know getting rid of it would be like giving up one of your own children. Solid MTB for the money and full rigid setup is still worthy on some semi-fast single tracks and up-right ride is good for paved riding too. Heavy bike by today's standards but will take an armageddon like event to make this one extinct.

Purchased At:   Dealer

Similar Products Used:   Marin and Trek

Bike Setup:   Stock components. Upgraded grips and pedals.

Submitted by j-bar from philadelphia,pa

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2007

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    everything

Bottom Line:
piece of garbage death machine.Bad derailler. Bad pedal.Bad thumb shifters.Bad freewheel.Loused-up bottombracket with crappy cheap plastic seals.Cheap chain.Weak spokes.Non-durable saddle.By themselves, these weaknesses are mere inconvienences.Put together in a six month period -disaster! One year later schwinn goes belly-up.I wonder why.

Purchased At:   schwinn dealer

Submitted by Jon a Cross Country Rider from Gainsville, FL USA

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2005

Strengths:    Very durable bike that has required little maintenance.

Weaknesses:    Heavy frame and a very upright (non-aero) riding position. This is actually good for building up my legs when riding my lighweight road bike.

Bottom Line:
I found this bike at a police auction of property abandoned on campus. I had never owned a mountain bike before and this looked OK. Did I luck out! I have ridden it on the road and paved trails for 2500+ miles with no problems whatsoever. Personally, I really like the thumb shifter system. This has become my commuting bike (20 miles/day) and I couldn't be happier with it. After riding this heavyweight all week, my steel-frame racing bike feels like a $6,000 carbon fiber wonder!

Purchased At:   Police auction