San Marco Andreas 8.0 Bike Bike 1998 or Older

4.72/5 (25 Reviews)

San Andreas 8.0 Bike

Submitted by Curt a Cross Country Rider from San Diego, CA USA

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2001

Strengths:    Incredibly strong frame, I weigh 265 lbs and I have crashed and ridden this bike so hard it's beyond belief. Only one pivot, bushing has never worn out. Great climber and awesome decender. Adjustable frame geometry allows ride specific handling i.e. cross country or DH.

Weaknesses:    Mine creaked it seemed like forever but realized the Risse Racing shock had been installed incorrectly. Standover heigth not great, got bruised from front shock mount.

Bottom Line:
This bike is great for all riders of all levels. It allows you to truly hang it out and push the envelope!!

Favorite Trail:   San Juan Trail, Cleveland Ntl' Forest

Purchased At:   Frameset only @ Bicycles Etc., Lake Forest, CA

Similar Products Used:   Pro flex 850

Bike Setup:   ZZYZZX 6 inch travel forks, Magura Racing hydraulic brakes, Risse Racing shock 225 lbs of air ( less pedal induced pogoing). Large DH saddle, Scott 10degree riser bar and Azonic Shorty stem. XT rear, XTR front w/ Gripshift X-Ray shifters.

Submitted by Andrea a Weekend Warrior from Biella, italy

Date Reviewed: September 24, 1999

Strengths:
it's a masterpiece of engineering and design.
it's solid like a rock (I'm 195lbs).
Very responsive and light.
Super climber & super downhiller.
Perfecly balanced for any trail.

Weaknesses:

Bottom Line:
Robert Reisinger must be a genius.
THE MOUNTAIN CYCLE SAN ANDREAS R SERIES IS A 6 STARS MACHINE.

North west alps

1 Year

Lot's of fullsuspended from friends.

manitou x vert (front)
after shock (rear)
magura brakes
xt group
mavic crossmax

Submitted by Biker Ted a Cross-Country Rider from Molokai, Hawaii

Date Reviewed: September 6, 1999

Strengths:
Solid build, low stand over for smaller riders, plenty of room for stickers, best handling full suspension I've tried.

Weaknesses:
Hard to handle in strong cross wind, transmits drive train noise and cable slap, triple clamp fork can damage main frame in a crash.

Bottom Line:
At one point I had the wieght down to under 27 pounds, but I needed more travel in the front, a riser bar, and bomb proof wheels. It's real close to 30 right now. The bike likes the rough stuff. It gives you an edge by building your confidence. I don't like to fly, so I keep close to the ground, but I've had more luck jumping on this bike than any of the others. Corners really well and predictable (the IRC's help). And as a mountain bike guide, I find it excellent for single track. I spend a lot of time cleaning it, cause clients (a lot of um new to mountain biking), are always checking it out since it's so different from what they would normally see elsewhere.

Cyclops, Kamakani, Keokis.

more than 3 years

Kona foreplay, GT RTS-2, Marin Alpine Trail, Specialized Stumpjumper XC.

XT V brakes, Avid Ultimate levers, SRAM ESP 9.0 shifters & rear derailuer, XT front, custom built XT with Velosity Aero Heat rims, IRC Mythos F & R. Gervin Chubby fork with Speed Springs.

Submitted by Crashmonger a Weekend Warrior from Hollister

Date Reviewed: August 20, 1999

Strengths:
agility,strength, neutralness in air, downhill brake steering.

Weaknesses:
Uphill jumping but who's FSR is.

Bottom Line:
Love this rig, It waits for you patiently and when you give it the green light for white knuckle work, its there...

Hollister cycle park

1 Year

cannondale, Specialized

After shock, X-vert forks,rhinos, XTR, disk front and rear.

Submitted by ROBERT a Weekend Warrior from RICHMOND,VA

Date Reviewed: June 30, 1999

Strengths:
GOING UP
GOING DOWN

Weaknesses:
KIND OF HEAVY

Bottom Line:
I'VE SAVED FOR A YEAR FOR THIS FREERIDE MACHINE, AND I TRULY LOVE IT. IT CLIMBS BETTER THAT ANYTHING THAT I'VE RIDDEN (EXCEPT MY GIRL). ALONG WITH THE ZZYXX IT CAN TRULY RIDE ANYWHERE AND JUMP ANYTHING. ALTHOUGH THE FRAME IS HEAVY, 7.3 LBS WITH MOUNTIAN CYCLES SHOCK (MY RTS WEIGHTS THE SAME). IT NOW WEIGHTS 30.1 LBS (27.8 W/NOLEEN CROSS LINK), BUT I REALLY DO NOT NOTICE THE EXTRA WEIGHT, FLIES LIKE A BUTTERFLY AND STINGS LIKE A BEE. YOU MUST PUT THIS ON YOUR LIST OF TOYS TO GET.

YORK RIVER STATE PARK

CROSSLANDS
ZZYXX FREERIDE

Submitted by Kelly a Weekend Warrior from upstate NY

Date Reviewed: June 29, 1999

Strengths:
stability, looks, fun factor, noise

Weaknesses:
If you like a twitchy steer feel, you won't like this. Cost. Noise.

Bottom Line:
The bottom line? Wow. This is one cool bike. I'm a roadie/track rider, first time mountain bike. I wanted something different for off-road. Wish granted. I'm big - 6'4 & 235, and this thing is a tank, but a lightweight & nimble tank. If will go anywhere, but is still very responsive. It doesn't boing me out of the seat when I hit big bumps, like the Trek & others did. It is loud - sounds like the factory working under me - other owners told me this was so. This is basically a motocross bike without the motor. Went to a local ski hill last week - crazy fun. Can't speak for lighter riders, but for me this thing is perfect. 5x5.

platekill

less than 1 month

C-dale superV, K2, Proflex; New Trek Mantra

XT, Sun, V-raptors, stock Girvin front shox to be replaced as soon as I can afford it

Submitted by Big Black Bruce a Weekend Warrior from Southeastern MA

Date Reviewed: March 30, 1999

Strengths:
Excellnet bike.Can handle more then the rider can. Handle and stiffness are unmatched.

Weaknesses:
NONE

Bottom Line:
I have been building my San Andreas all winter and finally riden it over the past few weeks. THIS BIKE IS GOD. I told my girlfriend I was sorry but I have found a new love. She slapped me and then asked me who it was. I then told her it was my San Andreas, she slapped me again. I haven't seen her since but I don't care my new girlfriend (San Andreas) is the best. I can ride her anytime I want( never has a headache or cramps). Never complains about how rough I get with her. In fact the rougher I get the more she loves me. Always there when I need her. And she is the best looking thing I've riden in years. If you have the money and no brains, because this bike needs to be abused on the roughest, sickest, craziest rides imagineable. Get a Mountain Cycle. There aren't enough chilli's in the world to rate how awesome this bike is.RIDE ON..

All of them

3 months

Up front dual cart. Judy DH. Race Face cranks and bottom bracket. In the rear the After shock. IRC Missiles on Sun Rhyno lites. Kore seatpost and stem. All XTR.

Submitted by Jhune Reyes a racer from Spangdahlem , Germany

Date Reviewed: February 8, 1999

Bottom Line:

Yes, I am the same Jhune Reyes from Guam. This is a follow-up review of my San Andreas 8.0. Buyer Beware!!! My Rock Shox XL CRUSHED my S.A. frame like a soda can due to shipment. It is still straight and ridable but unsure of the integrity. I will use a Marzochi Z1 next time to prevent this from happening(single crown and better shock too). Imagine if your riding your S.A and you slipped and counter steer, will S.A. frame be strong enough to stop the pressure of your double crown? I've been trying to get some advice (i.e. can I just replace the main frame?) from Mountain Cycle but I have not received a word. Their catalog pictures promotes the use of a triple crown. So, will I buy a San Andreas again??? Hmmm. I really like the looks and handling but the only flaw is a use triple crown fork can crush the frame. An excellent customer service would make me to buy it again.King Patuk: Please email me at alfredo.reyes@spangdahlem.af.mil I would like to know where you ride and a race events in the P.I. Do you have a web page?

Submitted by Chris The Bike Hodson a downhiller from England

Date Reviewed: January 18, 1999

Bottom Line:

san andreas mountain cycle series R. Awsome but to expensive in the uk. shock not much cop though. Is the mojo rebound and compression shock any good? How
much is this bike in the usa ?

Submitted by abe a downhiller from CA

Date Reviewed: November 17, 1998

Bottom Line:

Hi i just got this bike, and it is awesome, however, i wanted to upgrade the rear shock on it, anyone know what shocks will work, and where i can get on cheap? thanks? please E-mail me

Submitted by Brent a downhiller from Canada

Date Reviewed: October 1, 1998

Bottom Line:

I am a professional motocross racer and when I get out on my mountaincycle it takes as much of a beating as my mx bikes do and keeps right up! This was my first dual suspension purchase and I am very surprised that a bike could be built this tough, I've never owned or ridden another dual suspension bike so I've really nothing to compare it to except all of the guys I fly past on the trails. This thing tears it up!!! Definetly no complaints and I give it a definite five chilis.

Submitted by Greg Pootmans a cross-country rider from Toronto, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 4, 1998

Bottom Line:

Bought my San Andreas about two months ago. Still fine tuning things to get it to the way i like, however, ovewrall this bike rocks! In fact I have two buddies who went out and bought the identical bike. So now when we go riding, we have three San Andreas' fully loaded - white brothers forks, profile carbon bars, nuke proof stem, chris king, thompson elite seat post with Ti seat, time carbon pedals, race face crank and bottom bracket, ProStop discs, mega wheels....
So far it seems to perform really well. Can't climb as effortlessly as my ProFlex 757. This could be due to the fact that I now have riser bars without bar ends and that I need more time in the saddle? Downhill, it seems to eat up everything that comes in its path.The service that we get from the local authorized dealer is excellent. Anybody that lives in Ontario that wants to buy a mountain bike should go to Trail Blazers. They are located in Toronto and can be reached at 416-463-0431.

Submitted by Rob a downhiller from Libertyville, IL

Date Reviewed: July 8, 1998

Bottom Line:

This bike can be summed up with one word: Spectacular!!
This bike climbs like a mountain goat and desends like you were on a rail.
Before I purchased this bike I only had web reveiws and some magazine adds to base my decison on. All I can say is that this bike even exceded my expectaions!
It is got to be one of coolest looking bikes out. The comments I get are; Where's the engine? Hey, your bike looks awesome!The componants on it are great! Front/Rear Pro-Stop FH Disks, Sun Rhyno-Lite Wheels w/pro-stop hubs All XT Drivetrain/Rapid Fire Shifters, Kore Skewers, KoreBars, Michelin WideGripper Tires, Manitou X-vert-R Fork, Aftershock Rear Shock. This ROCKS!Needless to say that this not only looks cool, but it performs!
If I could give it 10 Chiles!

Submitted by Jhune Reyes (Pinoy) a racer from Guam USA

Date Reviewed: July 1, 1998

Bottom Line:

A truly exceptional mountain bike. I race with it. It climbs like a hardtail and descend like an avalanche. If you have the guts, point and go. Push it to your limits because this bike doesn't have one. Buy it and get your moneys worth. Get your frequent fliers miles thru Mountain Cycle San Andreas.

Submitted by Neil a weekend warrior from Calabasas California

Date Reviewed: May 17, 1998

Bottom Line:

Better than I hoped for. 4.5 rear, 4 front(Z1 BAM) 27Lbs. climbs like a hard tail and descends better than anything I've tried, GT,Mongoose, Cannondale
Specialized included. Handles unbelieveably light for a bike that is built so
solidly. I built with XT XTR,36 radial front, x3 rear,1.5 double wall riser. Rider compartment is near perfect with lots of adjustment. Excellent.Definitely a five chili rig if ever there was.