S&M Dirtbike Bike 1998 or Older

4.78/5 (9 Reviews)

S&M Dirtbike

Submitted by Kevin a Cross Country Rider from Houston, Texas USA

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2010

Strengths:    Handmade in AMERICA!

Weaknesses:    It is tougher than I am.

Bottom Line:
I am not a BMXer, I ride cross country on a 29er. I built this Mamma Jamma so I could learn to stand up and sprint. My theory is; if I can flow 20" through sand and over roots, then I'll fly on the 29er.

This bike is awesome! It is strong like bull! But it does not weigh a ton. The BB is high and backend is long. It gets over logs great and climbs way better than I expected from such a tiny wheel.

I might learn to jump stumps and be a BMX punk yet!

Favorite Trail:   Cypresswood

Purchased At:   Direct

Similar Products Used:   First 20"

Bike Setup:   Pitchfork, Sun Rims, Profile hubs, 39:13, Schwalbe tires, Revenge brakes

Submitted by Sick Stickmin a Weekend Warrior from Rochester NY USA

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2008

Strengths:    I have been riding dirt bike classics for 5 years now. It took me 3 years to kill my first. It survived through Brutal abuse (180 down 10+ stares, learning handrails, Brakeless Trails, and countless bails, first bike I flipped, whipped, flip-whipped, flared) It succumbed to barrel roles. The down tube completely detached from the head tube but didn’t end a light Minnie session. I am 6 foot 1 inches and scale in at 180lb. Dirt Bikes take an unimaginable beating.

Weaknesses:    Geometry, the dirt bike never spun or whipped as well as other frames I set up. I attribute this to the lengthy back end and the super sized dropouts. The newer versions are better but still have the sluggish get-around. But this is a plus for trails, felt the best over 15ft + doubles. 990s on chain stays get ground down by the chain when running a 30 or less tooth ratio.

Bottom Line:
Fantastic frame, wish it was still around for beginners, it was the cornerstone of a bmx revolution. I still ride the dirt bike and love giving it as much hell as I can.There are better frames on the market but the dirt bikes’ a grade A value for people who are just getting into heavier riding. The frame will probably last through you, the little kid next door, and his ratty little friend before you get on a nostalgic trip and want to kill it yourself.

Favorite Trail:   Honda hills

Purchased At:   dans

Similar Products Used:   Various dirt bike models, it’s very much like a racing frame.

Bike Setup:   I try to keep it under 30lb. 25t to 9t, primo hollow Ti, midways to vandero 2 front, profile ss mini back, odyssey forks, coalition stem front load, Martinez V bars, Coalition seat, profile gas peddles.

Submitted by Jeffrey Montgomery a Weekend Warrior from SNB

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2008

Strengths:    great overall frame good for rideing trails and around town

Weaknesses:    frame really dosent have any yet alittle paint chips in some spots but overall its awsome

Bottom Line:
It is a awsome bike to have and build up as your own custom or buy it complete either way it is a kickass bike

Favorite Trail:   dirt

Purchased At:   from a freind and parts from Dans comp

Bike Setup:   dirtbike classic frame profile deluxe cranks alex mx 22 rims shadow lil dirty grips odyssey dirtpath tires shadow crow seat primo seat post and clamp s and m slam bars and fly pantera 2 forks fsa pig seald headset animal jump off stem primo e brake with odyssey slic cable and sinz brake lever

Submitted by chris a Weekend Warrior from Mounds View

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2007

Strengths:    super strong and light for a freestyle bmx frame!! wouldnt buy anything else

Weaknesses:    NONE!!!

Bottom Line:
simple yet extremly functional bmx frame. can be used for dirt street or even racing. i highly recomend this frame to ALL!!!

Purchased At:   danscomp.com

Similar Products Used:   haro supra

Bike Setup:   dirtbike frame, pitchfork, lots of primo and odyssey gear

Submitted by Will Culpepper from Woodbury, CT USA

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2003

Strengths:    The frame is so light comin in at 5 pounds 13 ounces for me.(I have last years version) It is really strong even though I've only had it for less than a month. It has great frame geometry.

Weaknesses:    It isn't free.

Bottom Line:
If your small or light or a trail rider get it, it will be perfect. If your a bigger guy, FBM angel of death or standard STA would be better for you. None the less, this frame is great.

Favorite Trail:   not sure

Purchased At:   nearby bike shop

Similar Products Used:   nothing similiar...

Bike Setup:   kink low life bars, profile cranks, 4130 chrome fork, alex rims, primo stem

Submitted by brian zahn from whiting, nj, usa

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2003

Strengths:    S&M tough, great geometry, perfect length, light.

Weaknesses:    hard to find

Bottom Line:
the best trail/ dirt jumping frame ever made. holds up to street and park abuse too. if your a shorter rider and want a frame that will last longer you, look for an older classic dirtbike.

Favorite Trail:   C.O.D.

Similar Products Used:   eastern jane, dk general lee, NG dirtbike, the classic $hits on all of them.

Bike Setup:   dirtbike frame, pitforks, tank headset, kink cross stem, primo pro bars, profiles, standard 45t sproket, triple walls.

Submitted by Jack from London, UK

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2002

Strengths:    Nice and floaty light especially for a wee lil' rider like me. An absolute CLASSIC frame.

Weaknesses:    Not as built as framesets nowadays so perhaps not suitable if your a complete fat-ass.

Bottom Line:
F**kin' A

Similar Products Used:   Now riding a Standard STA.

Bike Setup:   Hoffmann Jumping bars, DK Stem, Pitchforks, Profile cranks blah blah blah

Submitted by Rl price a Racer from h-town NV

Date Reviewed: July 6, 1999

Strengths:
good geometry, not to long or short,not heavy or aluminumlight but a good weight for how string the bike is made props to moeller

Weaknesses:
nothing

Bottom Line:
good bike and should last a long damn time

money or pittman

1 Year

ericksons hyper he dont live far from me and thats a good bike too but just wasnt comfortable on it

pitchforks, flights, 48's, slam bars,990's, gyro

Submitted by Weird Beard a Weekend Warrior from Smalltown, PA

Date Reviewed: May 23, 1999

Strengths:
bulletproof

Weaknesses:

Bottom Line:
best bike i have ever owned. has great geometry, classic looks(who wants one of these ugly ass Y shaped things anyway?), is super stiff, and isnt out of the reach of most wallets. best bike out there to me. simply bulletproof.
thats the bottom line

my girlfriends happy trail

more than 3 years

Kastan, GT, Cyclecraft, Free Agent, Auburn, DK, Standard Industries, Renthal, Iron Horse, TNT, MCS, Balance, Parkpre, ELF, SE, Bully, Redline, 2-Hip, Haro, most everything else

Dirtbike frame, Pitch fork, other stuff from Gack, GT, American Classic, Araya, Jive, Profile, DK, Tioga, TNT, S&M

Mtb vs. Dirtbike Riding

I'm an avid mountain biker already, but I'm going to buy a dirtbike soon. I'm just wondering, what are the differences in the way each machine rides? What are the differences in the riding experience between both vehicle types? :thumbsup:Read More »

Western XC/DH/mini dirtbike tour thoughts

I'm about to finish up a big job that I've been working on forever and am considering a 2 week or so roadtrip mid June to early July and was curious what some of your thoughts are on my currently very under considered course of action. I have a big 4x4 diesel flatbed that I've rigged up with a m ... Read More »

dirtbike frame??

i'm wondering if anyone has any links to a dh bike with a dirtbike frame. i had seen one online somewhere and cant find it now. it was well done with most parts machined. any help would be appreciated. thanksRead More »

I thought my dirtbike experience would translate...

Hi all. Only been lurking for a few days so I really don't know too much, but I am anxious to start riding. I grew up riding dirt bikes from the age of 6 to 13. I am now 38. I am eager to regain my health and fitness... and enjoy some of the thrills of the hills that I enjoyed in my youth. So I ... Read More »

Dirtbike handlebars on a DH rig ? need help

Is it possible to get a dirtbike handlebar setup which is 1-1/8 1.125inchs which is like 28.5mm to a 31.8mm stem clamp ? are there spacers like I always see on the 888 setup they have some kind of red spacer in there. any help as they are about same length etc around 31inches wide. plus if you wa ... Read More »