Rocky Thin Air Bike Bike 1998 or Older

4.59/5 (32 Reviews)

Rocky Thin Air

Submitted by Bob Stickers a Cross Country Rider from Toronto

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2002

Strengths:    98 Thin Air. Fantastic bike and outstanding components.

Weaknesses:    Bike had 600 miles of mid to hard XC use and 10,000 miles of road/paved bike path use. Very well maintained and once the original rims were replaced with X517s no real problems until the frame failed without any warning. Top tube behind the headset snapped the the front triangle collasped inwards. RM wouldn't warranty initially then send out bottom line frame they had kicking around to placate me. They did do something but far from what I expected and feel was owed. While there was a 5 yr warranty on this al frame obviously with such a catastrophic failure you'd got to wonder when and how to tell when you should just hang the frame up b/c its unsafe. All the parts that fit were put on a Giant NRS Air and are doing well. Can't say the same for me but thank God for helmets.

Bottom Line:
Companies take advantage of customers every change they get and play by their own rules and ignore warranty terms.
Regardless of statements to the contrary bikes/frames don't last for every or even for their warranty period and they do fail without warning.

My ratings reflect the bike when it was working, prior to the "big crash". While RM makes some excellent bikes and specs them well their breach of my warranty and BS they fed me would lead me to choose some other manufacturers product in the future.

Submitted by Scotty a Cross-Country Rider from Vancouver

Date Reviewed: May 24, 1999

Strengths:
light

Weaknesses:
very poor quality control and warranty service

Bottom Line:
This frame was a warranty replacement which took a month to get, was badly misaligned at the factory and Rocky refused to repoace it with a correctly welded one. I had to pay $400 for the warranty.I like to support Canadian companies, and have owned numerous Rockies before but NEVER again. If this is a typical example of how they treat lifelong customers my advice is to buy ABR (anything but Rocky). I would give it a zero rating if possible.

less than 1 month

Rocky Altitude, Vertex,Cyrrus, Stratos

Submitted by Ian Slater a Cross-Country Rider from Calgary, Alberta

Date Reviewed: May 5, 1999

Strengths:
Stiff, unbelivably durable frame.
Solid XT component group.
Sun CR17 rims (handbuilt wheels)

Weaknesses:
Mid-price cranks, Mag21 shock

Bottom Line:
This bike is amazing. I bought it in 1995, and have since logged over 3000kms on it. Most of my riding as been done on the rooty, rocky, muddy trails of the Canadian Rockies. The bike has not had a single mechanical problem. Not one. In fact (and this is completely unbelievable): I have yet to required a wheel trueing. The bike climbs like a demon, and devours single track. Buy, buy, buy.

Lake Minniwanka

more than 3 years

Submitted by Keith Jines a weekend warrior from Casco,Maine,United States

Date Reviewed: November 21, 1998

Bottom Line:

my favorite bike is the new Huffy Primous it is a fantastic bike even thow i dont have one. ive test drove the bike and when i did that was moven the bike is made of titniam alloy and has 52 spoked rims it is a great bike.

Submitted by Vernon a racer from Singapore

Date Reviewed: October 6, 1998

Bottom Line:

Bought my Thin Air to replace my Specialised hardrock. This bike is oh sooooo light and fast. Climbing, no problem - this baby feels like an extension of yourself. Since I bought it as a limited edition frame, I laid it out with Cane Creek Crono Ti wheels and SID fork. Now it weights less than 22 pounds. After all that's been said about made in USA products, I'm convinced Canadians do kick ass with their products - cheers for rocky mtn and raceface. A word of advice though, change the @#$% ESP derailleur, mine broke into 2 after a stationary - STATIONARY - fall. For the bike, must be worth 5 flaming chillies.

Submitted by Mike a cross-country rider from Vancouver, BC

Date Reviewed: July 5, 1998

Bottom Line:

I was going to get an Oxygen Race but couldn't find a frame my size. I was forced to move up to a 21 Thin Air. The extra cash outlay was worth it though. This bike feels like a feather while climbing and making its way over North Shore roots. Downhill is handled quite responsively by the Bobmber Z2s although a bit more travel would be nice (Z1s next time). I must comment that the ESP 1:1 actuation ratio in the rear gives incredibly speedy shifts and has yet to go out of tune. Minor trouble with the spokes on my rear wheel loosening (not enough spoke prep goo?) compliments of Chris (grr) at Wheeltech. Also, is it me or do Synchros stems seem to loosen up a bit too easily? Ignoring the minor issues, this is one 'sweet' ride.

Submitted by Andrew a racer from Toronto

Date Reviewed: May 18, 1998

Bottom Line:

I posted right after I got my 98 TA around the new year and said I'd follow up so here it is. THE BIKE IS STILL SWEET! After being thoroughly thrashed in three
big races and a midweek race series it is holding up well. I needed to re-adjust the rear derailleur last week(minutely), but that is after leaving it untouched for four months. No qualms with ESP. I replaced the slightly uncomfy saddle with a Flight ti, the grips with some Pedros, the fast wearing Taya chain with an XT and the brake pads with Kool-Stops (wore out). The first two were personal choices, so I have really only needed to put about $45(CAN) into the bike, and I have been putting in the miles! Yes, the levers are still plastic, but I have learned to love them.
Keep the bike clean, and it'll stay loyal.
If you buy a Thin Air, you won't be disappointed.
Keeps my original rating!

Submitted by No name a racer from Canada, the best country there is!!!

Date Reviewed: May 3, 1998

Bottom Line:

This bike beats anybike there is, it comes stock with the best components and RaceFace cranks, also canadian made and the best, I put Z1's on mine and it rules over any bike there is, they may comment about my bike on XC races but after the race when im in first they will all go out and buy this bike and Z1's this bike rules. It's great for singletrack and fast downhills, also since it is made up here in B.C. it is meant to handle all of the tough terrain and north shore riding we have to offer.

Submitted by Adam a cross-country rider from Toronto, Ontario

Date Reviewed: April 4, 1998

Bottom Line:

I bought my Thin-Air 2 years ago and it still kicks ass!! I just upgraded from partly LX to complete XT.. I put on some Judy SL (my Manitou Mach 5 SX got really dinked) and I have put on some Mavic SuP 217s.. I am really happy with this bike, light, looks cool, rides good.... Takes the big hits well.
Paint job is phenomonal!! I only have 3 scratches on it! And I ride hard!
Hmm.. Nothing more to say.. GO BUY THIS BIKE!!! IT kicks ass! Change the tires though! Suggesting Panaracer Dart + Smoke.. Still #1 in my book!
Thanks Rocky Mountain for the great ride, for a great price... Keep up the good work on the trail, in the shop and with the service.. Great Web Page too!!
http://www.bikes.com or their froriders page http://www.freeriders.com
Thanks again!

Submitted by Phil a racer from Burnaby

Date Reviewed: March 30, 1998

Bottom Line:

I got the new Thin Air two weeks ago with XTR components instead of XT. i have taken it on two rides and the first ride busted my back wheel on a small stupid crash (no reason for the wheel to go potato chip) Yesterday went out again in North Van and busted my saddle, it just poped out. The wheel that was busted Rocky Mountain replaced with no complications. But i tell ya guys when the baby isn't busted she is the sweetest thing it just Rocks!!!!!!! so far i give a three star but lets see how she does next week a the Burnt Classic and i might change my mind

Submitted by Sean a cross-country rider from Kingston, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: March 13, 1998

Bottom Line:

Rocky Rulez! I have a '96 Thin Air avec XTR components and a carbon fibre Judy fork. It weighs nothing and climbs like mad. The geometry works great for technical riding but still manages to inspire confidence in the fast stuff. The factory anti chainsuck thing was a nice touch!

Submitted by Mark Faul a cross-country rider from OTTAWA, ON - CANADA

Date Reviewed: February 26, 1998

Bottom Line:

I bought this bike back in '96 for $1700 CDN and have had two awesome seasons of riding so far, mainly in the Gatineau Hills. The bike is very light, and is superbly outfitted - great for climbing. Very nice drive train, and the shocks are adequate for cross country riding. I didn't care for the WTB tires, and just upgraded to Bontranger Jones and Revolt tires which handle great. The LX brake pads were a bit shabby as well, so I threw on some Eagle Claws which made a big difference.Overall an excellent bike, that hasn't cost me anything in repairs so far, and very little in upgrades.

Submitted by Billy a weekend warrior from Vermont

Date Reviewed: February 20, 1998

Bottom Line:

Great Bike! Everything about it is great, except I wish that they had put a clear coat over the decals. They took the time to give it such a nice powder coat paint job, it would have been nice to protect it with a clear coat. But that isn't enough, when you consider everything else (great climbing and handling, and best value on the market), to keep it from getting 5 chillies

Submitted by Desi Leo a cross-country rider from Vancouver, B.C., Canada

Date Reviewed: January 25, 1998

Bottom Line:

Oh baby i tried this bike out in Whistler a week ago and it busted after i went off a cliff. I had to pay a shitload of cash to fix the damn ass bike. Only SuperMan could fix a peice of shit like thatTHANKS FOR NOTHING YOU PEIVCCE OF SHIT ASS HOES THERES YOUR 50 WORDS

Submitted by Andrew M. a racer from Toronto, Ontario

Date Reviewed: January 1, 1998

Bottom Line:

I just got a 98 Thin Air a couple of days ago and am very impressed.
For the price it is unbeatable. Correct me if I am wrong but I believe
mail order stores are selling them for about $1850 US. I got mine for
$1999 Canadian. Not to shabby. I haven't been able to really ride it yet,
due to incredibly low temperatures, but I can tell you that this bike is
mint. Go to the Rocky site to check out complete specs (note: for some
reason they are shipping 98 Blizzards and Thin Airs with syncros ti seat
posts, I'm not complaining) Also, mine is a really nice blue, not the red
shown. Supposedly only 500 were made, which is pretty cool, and the frame &
wheels are initialed by the builders. The only parts on the bike that I
am the least bit concerned about are the ESP levers, which are kind of
cheesy, but I think they'll hold up. Anyways, until I get in some serious
saddle time (at least march) definitely five stars.

INTO THIN AIR. The true definition of All-Mountain. A bike movie.

[url=http://vimeo.com/31503776?pg=embed&sec=31503776]INTO THIN AIR on Vimeo[/url] :thumbsup: INTO THIN AIR from infinite trails on Vimeo.Read More »