Rocky Mountain Speed Bike Bike 1998 or Older

4.45/5 (11 Reviews)

Rocky Mountain Speed Bike

Submitted by Justin a Weekend Warrior from Canada

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2002

Strengths:    Beautiful suspension design
Solid and Firm feel of a well made bike
High End Components

Weaknesses:    Shock is in the worst place in the world to try to adjust

Bottom Line:
A great bike if you need lots of suspension for the big hits, but want the feel of a hard tail for general riding, Mine is set up for a liteweight trail & trials bike, even after adding the bombers, it weighs out less than the new instinct. You can still find these frames kickin around, and it is a wicked deal my freind. Only 309 frames ever made, cause the aluminum is specific to this bike only(thus the light weight(for a Rocky))

Favorite Trail:   North shore

Purchased At:   Rocky Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Rocky Mountain Element/ Spice/ Instinct/ Pipeline
Norco VPS/ K2 Monkey

Bike Setup:   XT,Syncros & RaceFace everything/ Rhynolites/ Bomber Air

Submitted by Angriff a Weekend Warrior from Washington

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2002

Strengths:    My first full squish and it has been a great transition bike. This bike rails the corners like a h/t and is capable of taking medium size hits with ease. Climbing is excellent as long as you stay on the seat. The simple URT design took the toughest NW punishment and screamed for more.

Weaknesses:    Weak welds on seat post tube. Both top tube and lower tube failed after 1yr of hard riding. Rocky Mountain provided excellent warranty service on this issue.
Cable routing sucks as it very exposed to the wash from the front tire.

Bottom Line:
Highly recommend this bike for those making the change from h/t to full suspension. This design makes you forget that your on a full suspension as it rails the single track and sucks up the abuse.
NOT a freeride bike -- Clearly a bike before it's time as a ALL Mountain weapon.

Purchased At:   Rocky Cycle BC

Similar Products Used:   RM Pipeline, Specialized Enduro, Gaint ATC

Bike Setup:   Full XT including XT Thumbshifter (THE BEST) - Thompson stem and seatpost - Manitou Super X Vert -- Hayes Hydraulic Disk

Submitted by Dr. AL from Kitchner

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2000

Strengths:    Unified rear triangle is stiffer abit when out of the saddle, Overall good bike for any type of trail (but a bit heavy for XC)

Weaknesses:    Placement of waterbottle cages (I'm being picky), Problems with the frame cracking with Z1's.

Bottom Line:
The only problem with the way that RM made the bike is that the frame isn't able to handle a fork with 4" or more, and also voids the warrenty.

Similar Products Used:   2000 Kona Stinky
2000 GT i-drive (hunk of junk)

Bike Setup:   '99 Z1 Alloy's
2000 LX/XT drivetrain
Front XT Discs

Submitted by Bob a weekend warrior from Kimberley BC

Date Reviewed: October 16, 1998

Bottom Line:

After 2 years,I still can't believe how ugly this thing is. It's a good thing Rocky knows a thing or two about handling in the woods. An awsome play bike(a little to heavy for XC),this things designed for long,in the saddle epic's. Ditch the judy(2 blown cartridges)for a Z1 Bam(it honestly ballances out the ride). The rear spring sacked out early on but Rocky replaced it free of charge. The pivot to this day remains squeak free and the frame is still kicking after much abuse! Last bit of advice:(1)by the frame 1 size smaller and put on a longer stem with a riser bar for great all around handling;(2)slow down your rebound damping front and rear and(3)I'll see you fellow Speedophiles on the trail! Great bike but UGLY!!!

Submitted by floyd a cross-country rider from edmonton,canada

Date Reviewed: July 29, 1998

Bottom Line:

i have had my 97 speed for just under a year now. from a hard tail diamond back axis to this machine took a little getting used to. now i have crashed more times in a year than in 5. you get a little cocky on the speed. i wouldn't trade it for the world. i am getting some noise from the pivot area. maybe its the bushings. keep it up rocky mountain. for all you americans, you can pick up a rocky mountain cheap these days. the canadian dollar sucks!! check it out.

Submitted by Jon Mutiger a racer from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 28, 1998

Bottom Line:

I've had my speed for a year now, and I have just upgraded the brakes to XTR and hubs to XTR, and the rims to 517's. The speed isn't a true lightweight, but it's not a pig either. It took me a long time to get used to the quirks of the bike, but now I love it more than any other bike on the market.. Well, except for the 2xs..I got rid of the Rock Shox crud up front and got a Marzochi Z1. It now rides the way I want it to, but weighs more than I'd like it to, but I'll deal with it.Someone else said the anti chain suck device works well, I didn't have that in my experience. I had the first one last around 3 months before it got torn off. Then I replaced it, and it lasted for about 1.5 months.. Then my 3rd chain suck device lasted one ride, under 30min. I'd have to say that I have a huge chain suck problem.Now my URT is getting all chewed up from the chain, so I guess I'll get to see how thick my tubing is real soon, and how good Rocky is with their warranty issues.Jon!

Submitted by Kyler a weekend warrior from Penhole, B.C.

Date Reviewed: June 19, 1998

Bottom Line:

I wasn't sure about the standing lockout at first but I now realize what a pimpin' system it is. My '97 Speed could be full of Alivio shit and I'd still ride it every day. If Jon sees this, you build a helluva bike sucker, my life is for the better.

Submitted by Mitch Rossi a cross-country rider from Colorado USA

Date Reviewed: August 9, 1997

Bottom Line:

Wow! That about sums it up for the Speed. I've been riding mine
for about a year and a half now and wouldn't trade it for anything.
The Sweet Spot gives the impression your sitting in a LazyBoy
even over the harshest terrain. No problems other than the normal
bent rims etc, hell even the paint job has stood up!
One things for sure those crazy canucks sure build a hell of
a bike! Kudos.

Submitted by Some CHICK that rides... a weekend warrior from Vancouver, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 27, 1997

Bottom Line:

I guess those of us in Vancouver know a dream when we see it! (or RIDE it!!) After test riding 5 or 6 other FS bikes in the same $$$ range (+/- $1000) The Speed was the obvious winner. Canadians biuld the best bikes, ride the best bikes, and have the best singletrack. mmmm.

Submitted by Bill Watson a racer from Colorado

Date Reviewed: June 21, 1997

Bottom Line:

I have 1 '97 Stumpy which I really love, but I was given a chance to ride my friends RMT on the course. Granted, I know my bike really well, but my times were 15 sec slower on the full suspention, and I still got a softer ride from my quadrapivot and Judy s/ speed springs. When I found out he had paid more than $1000 more I laughed at him.
Bad bike,
One chili

Submitted by Pete a cross-country rider from Van./B.C./CANADA

Date Reviewed: March 30, 1997

Bottom Line:

I OWN A 97' SPEED AND LOVE THE BIKE,REAR END IS SUPER PLUSH WITH 5.5 OF TRAVEL,THE JUDY
XC LONG TRAVEL(3.150)WAS A LITTLE STIFF UNTIL I WENT TO A LIGHTER SPRING(110#/I WEIGH
150#).THE BIKE WORKS GREAT FOR CROSS COUNTRY OR TECH.SINGLE TRACK,WHEN STANDING IT
DOES NOT FULLY LOCK OUT,BUT FEELS LIKE A SHORTER TRAVEL (3.5)BIKE.I REALLY LIKE THE MID
FRAME PIVOT FOR FOUL WEATHER,BECAUSE IT NEVER GETS DUNCKED IN CREEKS(UNLESS I
BAIL)AND IS MAINTENANCE FREE.I RIDE IN VERY WET COND.7 MONTHS A YEAR SO THE ANTI CHAIN
SUCK DEVICE WORKS GREAT AND THE HANDLING IS TYPICAL ROCKY MNT.(EXCELLENT FOR
VERTICAL,ROOTY,ROCKY,CLAY BASED SINGLE TRACK).THE FRAME IS EASTON ALUM.HAND BUILT
IN LIMITED NUMBERS,THE COMP.GROUP IS RACE FACE(BEST!),XTR,XT MIX,I HIGHLY RECOMEND THIS
BIKE FOR ANY THING BUT SERIOUS DOWNHILLING,ROCKY RULES!!!!!!!!!!

Thinking of going single speed for next bike, or two speed really.

I was thinking of getting a mountain bike. I need a sturdy frame and low gears/a low gear for hauling stuff, heavy stuff on a trailer, and I need a higher gear for when I can go fast. And the roads I run on would be better dealt with using a suspension fork. Roads aren't always what you'd really cal ... Read More »

Bike Position for Power and Speed: free talk in Bend this friday night

this Friday, at the SHARC in Sunriver, I'll be giving a talk on bike position, and giving some really key tips on how to pedal stronger (the right way.....and its way more than just circles vs squares!) Pedaling circles vs squares? we'll explore truth vs myth. how should you sit on a bike? Ped ... Read More »

Adapting a set of Redline Flight bmx cranks for (8 speed) mtn bike use. Need help.

I've got a rather large 24" wheel bmx cruiser that I modified to take a 26" wheel in back, and a 27.5" wheel up front. I am running a set of (6 spline) Redline Flight cranks with S&M Euro Cups. Initially I used a Redline bmx spider (110mm) and drilled a 74mm bcd for a 28t front ring. Recently I got ... Read More »

Nashbar 650b "Bees Knees" Single Speed Bike

Hey kids, be the first on your block to sport the new Nashbar 650b Single Speed, priced now @$499: [url=http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_544782_-1___202341]Nashbar Bee's Knees Single Speed 650b Mountain Bike - Mountain Bikes[/url] Link to a pic; didn't inline it because it's huge ... Read More »

Mountain bike vs Road bike speed

I don't currently own a road bike and was curious how much faster a road bike might be on a flat double track hard-pack surface. On my 29er(s), I can average 19+ mph over the 11 mile trailRead More »