Rocky Mountain Pipeline Race Bike 1998 or Older

MSRP : $2099.00

Rocky Mountain Pipeline Race

Submitted by Eric a Downhiller from Port Alberni

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2004

Strengths:    fairly light easy to handle and to toss around

Weaknesses:    The original swingarms are weak but the replacement ones are stronger

Bottom Line:
This bike is a great bike for any type of riding even street. It handles great on steep and technical stuff and it can also take big stuff (eventhough i craked the forks and snapped the swingarm right in half) but this bike is definitaly worth buying if you do more then one kind of riding

Favorite Trail:   Hard Bone Alley and 911

Purchased At:   A friend

Similar Products Used:   Kona stinky, Brodie devo, Brodie demon, Norco team dh, and lots more

Bike Setup:   1999 Rocky Mountain pipeline shimano deore hydros specialized big arm cranks with chain guide and more stuff

Submitted by Mike a Racer from Calgary

Date Reviewed: July 28, 1999

Strengths:
like to ride on seat post

Weaknesses:
get excited

Bottom Line:
bonjo without saddle and WITH the seat post

poo hole

more than 3 years

car

chonganiezee

Submitted by John Craig a Cross-Country Rider from Phoenix, AZ

Date Reviewed: May 3, 1999

Strengths:
Adjustable suspension, good component mix, cool color combo, the ride is very comfortable, this bike will save you if you pick a bad line!

Weaknesses:
This bike is so good, it is causing me to pick really bad lines!

Bottom Line:
I got this bike for $1200 at my LBS with Race Face cranks and rings instead of the LX. It is the 98 model but for the money and the ride quality I don't think I could have done any better. I'm still trying to shave a few pounds off the bike (29lbs as is) but overall, I love it!!

Desert Classic

less than 1 month

My buddies C-dale Super V2000

Marin hard-tail with Thud-Buster seat post, Manitou fork, mostly stx-rc component group

Submitted by Aaron a Racer from San Rafael, CS

Date Reviewed: April 15, 1999

Strengths:
-exellent handbuilt quality
-great for freeriding/trail riding/sport downhill racing
99 Z1 drop off
super plush

Weaknesses:
a little heavy but it's not for xc racing

Bottom Line:
this is a great bike, if you get one you'll definatelly be satisfied

Zig Zag

3 months

almost all of the fs designs

Z1 drop off, fox vanilla r

Submitted by Robert a Weekend Warrior from Tronto, Ontario

Date Reviewed: March 16, 1999

Strengths:
Got the bike in July and have beat it as hard as I could. I am not a light weight junky, but it is light enough, and damn tough.The handling is great in 4 inch travel mode. It is great in tight single track and doing trials moves, climmbing is as good as my hardtail if not better. and descent are awesome.In 6 inch travel mode, big hits do not exist and the head angle is slacked by 2 degrees which makes this a great downhill setup with a lowered BB and center of gravity, and the plushness of the rear end is amazing.The suspension is active even when standing despite being a URT. However it is active at a different ratio. The Pipeline uses a 3:1 design around the sweetspot. This means it is less plush when on the pedals i.e. automatic preload. Out of the saddle climbing, or hard hammering will translatter into the drivetrain efficently and still allow the suspension to do its job.

Weaknesses:
This is aimed at the freeride market and is not right for everyone. XC freaks and gram counters need not apply. Nor is it a no hold barred downhill bike. It truly is a freeride bike (who cares what name they give it).

Bottom Line:
I love this bike. Especially the suer quick Dial-A-Ride suspension. 4, 5, or 6 inches of travel on the rear with the flick of a quick release lever. Amazing and handbuilt quality too. This bike kicks ass.

6 months

Submitted by I am faster than everybody but John Tomac a weekend warrior from I came from my mothers womb

Date Reviewed: October 22, 1998

Bottom Line:

I didn't want to pick weekend warrior because I am a part of everything.
All these reviews on the Pipeline sound good to me. I am kind of biased more
toward 4-bars, but I am not beyond testing a urt. I also like the idea of
having adjustable travel at the flick of a qr. I'll test it and let you know.
By the way, are these chilis jalapeno or something else???????????
me.

Submitted by Elvis a weekend warrior from Boston, MA

Date Reviewed: October 19, 1998

Bottom Line:

One question for John from Qback - if it's such a pile of shit, why did you order one in all the way from Calgary? Just a thought...I will only write reviews with 50 words or more, I will only write reviews with 50 words or more, I will only write reviews with 50 words or more...

Submitted by john a racer from quback

Date Reviewed: October 18, 1998

Bottom Line:

sold out pile of shit. I tried ordering it in and they were all gone. I had to get it from a shop in Calgary which had a
few in stock.This bike is a joke, why would you buy a URT? I mean c'mon if you have brains you would know what to buy! Don't buy junk because you will end up as junk in the end!

Submitted by kerry Scott a cross-country rider from ch'town pei canada

Date Reviewed: September 6, 1998

Bottom Line:

This is one of the best bikes I've ever owned. I've raced it xc, and downhill and it is oohh so comfortable. I've finished races fully relaxed while everyone else is bent over in agony holding their lower back. It digs in on climbs sitting and as long as you hold your weight over the pivot it chews the dirt standing. I broke the front triangle but the warranty service was excellent. Part of the problem on the break was probably that on the 16.5 frame the topand down tubes join 3.5 inches from the headtube and its hard to weld in this tight space.( There was a lack of weld that I noticed ). Other than that it is my bike of choice for training, dh, and ds and a fave when the xc is rough. Kerry

Submitted by brad a racer from portland

Date Reviewed: August 21, 1998

Bottom Line:

This is a great bike. I've put over fifteen hundred miles on mine over the last five months and this bike still blows me away! The design is superb. You can stand and sprint just like on your hardtail, and you can free willy on the downhills, all with the flick of the quick release on the rear shock. It's light enough that I may reserve my hardtail for sundays only, because I can ride this thing up and down anything. I am getting used to the fact that after three and four hour rides I can still go out for more and am not all beat up. This is one solid bike and it is sure fun to ride! Keep the five flamers' rolling!

Submitted by Mike White a racer from Albany, NY

Date Reviewed: August 21, 1998

Bottom Line:

This is my third bike and my first full suspension bike. I mostly race XC, but have gotten bored of it. I bought this bike to find the fun in riding again. Race training was a grind. The Pipeline is anything but. I rode about 2 dozen full suspension bike over the last 3 months to test them out. A guy I raced with had bought a Pipeline and raves about it so I gave his a ride. It blew away anything I had ridden, even bikes twice its price.It downhills like a downhill bike, it cooks on the single track, even the tight turns. It is light enough to take uphill and cross country riding. It weight 28 pounds but it doesn't feel like it at all. It is so quick and responsive when setup to 4 inch travel (at rear) and so smooth when set to 6 inch.I can't say enough good things about this bike. You gotta try it to believe it.
There is way more to say, but I would rather go riding now.Too bad I can only give 5 starts it should get more.

Submitted by Bogdan Miliu a weekend warrior from Ottawa, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 6, 1998

Bottom Line:

Hi,Well it's been over half a year since I posted my initial review, so I thought it was time for a follow up. This bike still rocks and I am more and more impressed as I ride it more and more.Since I got it I have done some upgrades. Got Race Face rings, cranks, seatpost and stem. As well as XTR/Mavic 217 Sunset wheels. Next year, front disks perhaps.The bike has been performing flawless. I have gone to Mont Tremblant and Bromont a couple of times this year and I am runnin 6 in the back. I set the sag to about 1.5. The bike performs flawless. When I do xc stuff, I put it in 4 mode, and you can climb quite well with it. If you stay smooth you can even stand up and sprint and the bike doesn't bounce around too much. I have been gettin more headaches with bobing in the front than in the back, but it a worth while price to pay for the plushness.The frame is still in one piece. I smacked into a rock, and got a big scratch on the downtube ... I was surprised to see that the frame was okay. I also had an encounter with a large tree, however I took most of the punishment. The bike was spared.So I still give it 5 flamin' chillis.Later,
Bogdan.

Submitted by im faster than you! a racer from alberta

Date Reviewed: May 31, 1998

Bottom Line:

i was looking for a good training bike, something which was easy to maintain and for christ's sake would last longer than a judy cartridge! in deciding what bike to purchase, i narrowed the choice down to two bikes. but after riding the pipeline, i scatched the lts 1000 off of my list. i built my pipline up with everything raceface has to offer. xtr for brakes and shifting. my wheels are xt hubs with 14/15 spokes and 217ceramic rims. i plan on putting a disc up front in a few months. so there's the skinny on the specs, oh yeah almost forgot 19.5 frame, z1 fork and a cool 28lbs! how does the thing ride your probably asking your self, well i've been racing hardtails for 7 years and have been riding bikes since i stopped teething. i find sprinting in the 4 inch set up not to bad. sure the damn thing is going to bob, but my sid equiped race bike bobs a bit also. with this bike sit your ass down and remember nice smooth circles with your feet and you'll do fine. i'm still able to climb everything i can with my hard tail, but now it's more comfortable, therefore i'm riding, hence training a lot longer these days. for the money this bike is a must have. my hat goes off to rocky mountain bikes and to raceface for their passion and dedication to mountain biking. at least five stars for all! feel free to drop me a note about this bike. i keep no secrets.

Submitted by MARK a racer from SCOTTSDALE, AZ

Date Reviewed: May 22, 1998

Bottom Line:

THE BEST BIKE THAT I HAVE EVER RIDDEN! IT MAY NOT BE AS FAST AS MY MANITOU
HARDTAIL BUT IT IS TEN TIMES MORE FUN TO RIDE AND ALOT MORE COMFORTABLE.
WHEN I PURCHASED THE BIKE I SWITCHED OUT MOST OF THE COMPONENTS TO XTR,
RIDE IS MORE ENJOYABLE THAN THE NEXT. TOTALLY AWSOME RIDE! FIVE FLAMING RED
CHILLIES.

Submitted by Bogdan Miliu a weekend warrior from Winnipeg

Date Reviewed: February 23, 1998

Bottom Line:

I picked up my Pipeline about 2 weeks ago, in Calgary at the Bike Shop so i thought I would give an
initial review of my first impressions.A note first. I have been riding the bike mainly on snow trails and street. After some fideling with the
rear suspension I got it set up for myself. The rear travel is adjustable from 4 5 and 6. This is done is
seconds by using a quick release. The change in travela also changes the bb height and head angles,
making them slacker in the 6 travel version. So far I have been riding the 4. My initial impersion is very good. Despite beying an URT the bike is active both seated and standing ...
though I would say when seated it is slightly plusher. Surprisingly you can stand up and sprint and the
suspension will not rob you of your input, however you have to be substantially smother than a hardtail
... other wise the bike will start acting up (like all other fs jobs).The components are all great, ESP 9.0 shifter and derr, (XT front), Avid 2.0 SD brakes and levers,
LX crank and bb, Ritchey pedals, seatpost and stem, Rocky Mountain riser bar, Z1 Bombers, and
Sella Italia kevlar saddle (magnesium bars).I did some upgrades ... I bought the bike minus wheels, so I am running a rear Spinergy and front
Mavic 217/XTR with Panaracer Dart/Smoke (White Compound). I also swaped out the LX crank
with a White Industries, and the bb with a Race Face one.The bike retails for $2700 canadian for the full jobie. Don't look for too many deals 'cause it is already
sold out. I tried ordering it in and they were all gone. I had to get it from a shop in Calgary which had a
few in stock.later