Rocky Mountain Oxygen Race Bike 1998 or Older

4.58/5 (24 Reviews)

Rocky Mountain Oxygen Race

Submitted by Luke Patterson a Cross Country Rider from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2007

Strengths:    1.Wicked Fast and responsive.

2.Stiff

3.Aggressive Geometry

4.Sharp Steering

5.Light

Weaknesses:    1.Chainsuck (it's terrible for this)

2.Weak Decals

3.Mushy Stock brakes no matter what you do to them

4. Heavy Fork (4 lbs. only 80mm of travel)

Bottom Line:
A wicked fast, responsive, and fast steering race bike.

If you want to go fast, this bike is for you!!!

Favorite Trail:   Sidewinder, Fernie, BC

Purchased At:   Used

Similar Products Used:   Norco Bush Pilot, Specialized Epic

Bike Setup:   Stock 2001 Model with upgraded Crossmaxx XL wheels and Continental Explorer Tires.

Submitted by Saby R a Weekend Warrior from Halifax

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2002

Strengths:    made in Canada (as opposed to some 3 rd world country), hand made (at least for the welds), very aggresive geometry, good for acceleration and climbing. Exremly stiff and the bike look awsome (97 red and yellow)

Weaknesses:    Unforgiving (depending on your skills this can me a stength), the logos could have been painted instead of stickers (Rocky addressed that issue on their following model)

Bottom Line:
This bike is nothing like the stock model, I have upgraded everything to XT when I bought it, then recently to XTR. The frame still perform the same way it did 5 years ago. For the price I paid back them I could have gone for a lighter model like the ThinAir but lighter also mean not as stiff or resistant (I am a fairly big rider). I would really like to change this bike but to be honnest I cannot come up with any good reason. If you can put your hamd on a new or used one, if the size is right, do not hesitate, this is an outstanding bike....

Similar Products Used:   Rocky Mountain Cardiac

Bike Setup:   FULL XTR, Race face Next LP, Syncros (Stem, seatpost and headset), Rhyno Lite (22.5 lbs).

Submitted by Paul a Cross Country Rider from Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2001

Strengths:    1) The "nard saver" bar. I.e., it has an aggressively sloped top-tube with great stand-over clearance.

2) Has put up with my abuse. This is a pretty big deal after seeing a friend's bike crack.

3) Better than average stock tires. I think stock were the velociraptors, but I had some similar Mythos thingie. I guess the bike shop changed them.

Weaknesses:    1) Chain suck is unforgivable. The only real reason I want to replace this bike. Friend bought a 2001 Oxygen and I see the tight clearance and wish him well. I ruin chains on a regular basis.

2) Seat post was weak, but I did need to pull it right to the limit line because of the aggressively-sloped top tube.

3) Brakes are not good. Even new cables and housing do not seem to improve them. The spring back on the brakes and brake levers are *terrible*

4) Smoother, rounded stem to "soften" nasty knee impacts would have been nice, but I don't recall those stems being common in 97/98.

5) Due to tight small triangle (which is due to the nard saver top tube) second water bottle braze-on is under the down tube. This is useless since the bottle gets totally muddy. I had to buy a hydration backpack.

Bottom Line:
Ridden it for 4 or 5 years, not sure which, and it has put up with all kinds of abuse and crashes. Managed to dent the bottom bracket a bit riding home-made totters and landing on the bricks used for support.

The chain suck is annoying enough that if any bike even looks a bit like the chain stays are close to the rings I will not buy it. I think that rules out Oxygens unless they do some re-design. Sorry Rocky, but I'm sick of taking out mashed links on the trail.

Various different anti-chain suck devices have been tried, and they die quickly due to being continually smacked by the chain. Also, they are not bombproof, and when you have one one and chain suck manages to occur, it is 1000 times worse. I removed my for this last season and had pretty good luck. Totally new drivetrain probably helped a bit, too. But it is still there, damn it.

If you ride it on dry fire roads, you probably won't have such a big problem with chain suck ... but if you honch through mud and do lots of technical stuff you will whine as much as I do.

If you don't weigh a lot, or if you don't like to ride small bikes, your seatpost won't be so high and maybe you won't have to replace it.

Similar Products Used:   This was my first mtn bike. Have tried friends bikes for half-rides.

Bike Setup:   97 or 98 model (yellow) -- can't remember the year
Paid $1600, got bike plus freebies.
Small: about equivalent to a 16.5" using a normal measurement system.
LX shifters / XT deraillers (stock)
Avid 2.0 brakes and levers (stock)
Shimano Drivetrain (stock)
Crappy bent seatpost, replaced with RaceFace XY
Not fond of the Ritchey pedals it came with. Replaced with Shimano 747's, which I must say are awesome.
Good seat, but replaced with one of those Specialized erection savers with the crack after 2 years.

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from Toronto, On, Canada

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2000

Strengths:    Light frame, decent mix of Shimano and brand name components such as Marzocchi and Avid. Tires are good too but a bit aggressive for city trail riding.

Weaknesses:    Shock should be a Z3 light or long travel. Brakes are a bit weak but effective with a lot of pull.

Bottom Line:
So far the bike is performing well. I haven't experienced the so called "chain suck" that others have (yet). Hopefully it continues to perform as well as it currently is.

I think adventually if I have any money to spend on it, I'll change my stem and bar. I prefer a riser.

Otherwise, this bike is a charm. Welding craftsmanship is of the highest quality for the impecable buyer.

In all, I recommend this bike for a novice to weekend small event rider like myself. The bike is light and very agile. Rocky builds great Canadian bikes.. even for East coast riders eh!

Bike Setup:   99 model - 17.5 inch'r, xt/lx drivetrain. Z4 fr, avid brakes.

Submitted by Kurt a Cross-Country Rider from Edmonton

Date Reviewed: September 15, 1999

Strengths:
'97!The bike is extremely light and handles like its on rails. The finish on the paint is prime, but the decals are weak.

Weaknesses:
Freakin Chain suck! Every one complains about the horrible chain suck on these bikes

Bottom Line:
Smokin' ride with a little tweakin!

Terwilliger

2 Years

Specialized stumpjumper, S works, FSR, Kona.

The indy was a piece of garbage, Upgraded to a rock shox SID. And switched the shifter to shimano XT.

Submitted by moe a Weekend Warrior from edmonton

Date Reviewed: July 28, 1999

Strengths:
strong, stiff frame aggressive geometry
spec'd nicely in 1997
good price in 1997
frame sizes (17.5)
chainsuck guard!!!
Canadian product!!!!

Weaknesses:
decals peal off easily

Bottom Line:
This bike was a great deal when I bought it. I still ride the frame, but almost everything on it has been upgraded. This bike is so strong! It has survived a lot of punishment over the past 3 years, and has come out of all situations solidly. Thanks Rocky- my next bike in a year or two will definitely be a Rocky full-suspension!!

nordegg stuff

2 Years

Specialized
Big Wheel
Pedal Car

red with yellow decals and RS Indy XC

Submitted by Wade Ingledew a Cross-Country Rider from Victoria BC

Date Reviewed: May 17, 1999

Strengths:
Light, quick and maneoverable

Weaknesses:
Stock seatpost, handlebar, chainrings are weak and easily bent.
Severe chainsuck problems have plagued this bike since the first ride.

Bottom Line:
Something about the crank, bottombracket and chainstay setup seems to invite chainsuck like no other bike. Some stock parts are unacceptable for normal and large size riders (strength-wise). The bike does ride nicely though...,

1 Year

Kona, Cannondale, Schwinn

upgrade to syncros seatpost, stem, handlebar and crankset

Submitted by Stew the Mountain Man a cross-country rider from Montreal Quebec

Date Reviewed: October 15, 1998

Bottom Line:

Got the Oxygen (the color is mango, by the way)this spring, and I have raced it in six races, road and trail ridden it about 2000km over the summer and fall. It is one stable ride. It climbs like a demon, flies down hills, and best of all, in very technical riding it is amazing. Tons of standover clearance, very light front end, and usually both wheels are just glued to the trail, whether it is rock, root or dirt. I put my '96 Z2s on the front (heavyish but plush). I put a Race Face crank, rings and headset on the bike. Pedals are Time ATAC carbon (the best!). Stock brakes are Avid 2.0, gears are ESP 9.0 (fickle but great when they work) with gripshift. I changed the handlebars and seatpost to Easton CT2, which rock! Oh yeah, I changed the stem to a Syncros hinged, and the bike handles even better with this shorter, flatter stem than the stock Ritchey. The seat is a fizik Pave (road seat).The standard tires are WTB velociraptor, and they were excellent. I'm now using either Bontrager SS (excellent) or Specialized Dirt Control (awesome when it's too gross for slicks).So I guess about half the bike isn't stock anymore, but the geometry of the frame is just awesome. Road riding gets a little uncomfortable after 40km, but then it's not a road bike.The stock chain sucked (literally and figuratively) and ended my race after 9km on a nasty uphill at Mont Ste. Anne. Replaced it with a Sachs PC-91, and have had no problems since. I'll keep this bike, for a long time. It's too good now to sell!5 chilies for this hot dog!

Submitted by Marc Zurfluh a cross-country rider from Montreal, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 28, 1998

Bottom Line:

I bought a '97 Oxygen Race early in the season and I love it. It is damn light and overall has a smart component selection. The Avid 2.0 levers are amazing and work excellent with the LX brakes. I changed the shifters to LX Rapidfires because I hate Grip SHIfT. But I think the retail price is way too high at $1600.00 CAN. I payed $1200 which is what I think would be a fair asking price. Also, I think the Indy XC's really suck. It took me 3 months to get them worn in enough to absorb impacts, and a month after that they're already too mushy. Another problem is that the derailleur hanger is way too weak. Sure they're supposed to break in a hard impact, but it's not supposed have butter like qualities. Also my rear rim has to be trued after almost every ride, which gets pretty annoying.
The pedals are pretty good, but it would be a good idea to upgrade to Shimano 535's.Despite all the things I criticized, I think this is an amazing performing bike and I would recommend it if you can get one for less than $1300 (CAN).

Submitted by J.R.C.W a racer from Pickering,Ont. Canada

Date Reviewed: September 3, 1998

Bottom Line:

This bike kicks a@# .I swear if you are thinking of buying a new bike this is the one. This bike is light durable and very fast, trust me. I have had a cuple of minor problems,but what I put my bikes through I am just suprised it hasn't left me stranded.This bike is so nice,once I rode this bike I had to buy it. It has better performance and a chepper price than anything in it's class. A perfect rating for this one.

Submitted by Martin Dudemaine a cross-country rider from Quebec, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 5, 1998

Bottom Line:

Very well designed bike! For the past 8 years I was riding my good old Rocky Mountain Fusion, which is still an excellent bike. But now with my brand new Oxygen Race, I feel 10 years younger! It's light, responsive, and it climbs like crazy. The only cloud in that otherwise clear blue sky was that nasty chain suck on my very second ride. It stuck in so tight that I had to walk back and remove the crank to release the chain. I then had to change the lower chain ring which bent badly, and one chain link. I installed one of those small chain-suck plates to avoid this from happening again and everything has been fine since. I highly recommend the chain-suck plate; because when it sucks, it sucks! Otherwise, 3 cheers for Rocky Mountain! You make great bikes!

Submitted by Brendan Bowie a racer from U.S. OF A.

Date Reviewed: July 19, 1998

Bottom Line:

LAST YEAR I RACED ON A OLD HEAVIER BIKE THAT SHALL REMAIN NAMELESS AND NOW I'M RIDDIN' THE OXYGEN. THIS BIKE REALLY ROCKS. ALL I HAD TO SWITCH WAS A BUM DERAILLER. AND THAT WAS MY LOCAL BIKE SHOPS FAULT NOT ROCKYS. LOOKOUT AZ HERE COMES A NEW RACER.THANKS ROCKY YOUR THE BEST

Submitted by Jason Rae a cross-country rider from Truro, N.S,Canada

Date Reviewed: July 11, 1998

Bottom Line:

Hey Guys/girls:well this bike worked like a piece of crap, but once it got broken in it works like a dream.The forked failed (seal)just a couple weeks after i purchased it.After Marz. fixed it for free it it began to work like a dream, as long as u keep it lubed with judy butter or get some boots for them.
I must say the paint job really sucks and the decals are just cheap stickers with no coat to protect them like specialized.
The shifting works really good except for the rear shifting control exploding!!
Chain suck seems to be a major problem for me, there is already a large crevous in the frame from the chain eatin away at the frame when it's pushed up in between the frame and the chain rings.
Speaking of chain i had to replace the chain and fixed numerous links other times.
Well this bike seems to work good when u need it to but it breaks at times when it dosn't matter (screwin around in the yard) then GET THIS BIKE!PS new chain is a MUST!

Submitted by Kimberly Gylytiuk a cross-country rider from Peterborough, Ontario

Date Reviewed: July 8, 1998

Bottom Line:

I just got into mountain biking this year, and fell madly in love! I quickly became irritated with the heavy Raleigh I had borrowed, and went shopping for my own bike. Unfortunately, it was next to impossible to find a '98 Oxygen in my size (17.5), and decided on a 97 with a set of Judy's to replace the Indy's. I've been spending every spare moment tearing through the local trails, single tracks...and love hitting the provincial parks for wooded trails. Wow, was there life before mountain biking??????? I luva my bike, Rocky Mountain really knows how to turn out a beautiful bike with Canada written all over it!
I am aspiring to get into racing.....any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Submitted by Milo de Villiers a cross-country rider from Crescent Beach, British Columbia, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 2, 1998

Bottom Line:

My new Oxygen is the best bike I have ever ridden (and I've ridden quite a few). The Z3 is a great fork even without easily adjustable damping. I absolutly love the ESP 9.0 stuff and the Avid brakes stop the bike like nothing else. The colour is odd (they call it macarroni and cheese) but it still looks better than any AMERICAN bike.
Yeeeeeeehah!!!!

Race Report: Mud, Oxygen, and rocks back east

[I][B]NECS#1 Glocester Grind[/B][/I] I'll just say that this past weekends 'Glocester Grind', in Rhode Island was among the weirder feeling mtbike races I've done. I have never, ever worked so hard for an hour and a half, and not climbed anything! This New England style riding / racing is a real eye ... Read More »

Rocky Mountain Oxygen Race Specs

Does anyone know the specs for a 2000 Oxygen Race 19.5"? I'm looking for frame geometry measurements. That was my first serious hardtail, had to sell it to pay for my wedding and now I've moved on. But damn I miss that bike. I swear that when I make some money my next ride will be another Rocky ... Read More »