Rocky Mountain Fusion Bike Bike 1998 or Older

4.61/5 (18 Reviews)

Rocky Mountain Fusion

Submitted by Adrian a Weekend Warrior from Abbotsford, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2002

Strengths:    A great bike! Typical strong well built RMB frame. Perfromed very well and has not really given me any problems in 4 years of riding it.

Weaknesses:    The suspension fork it comes with isnt good for really serious riding. But the average person still will not be disapointed. I upgraded the suspension a little after a year. Mine came with grip shift. I find the performance ok but under more stressfull conditions they do miss shift on.

Bottom Line:
A great bike! Well worth it for the weekend rider or someone looking to get into things a little more serious! Nothing beat Rocky Mountain bikes quality.

Similar Products Used:   Older RM Fusion and Hammer.

Bike Setup:   98 Rocky Mountain Fusion with shimano 747 pedals and a '00 Manitou SX fork.

Submitted by Phil a Weekend Warrior from Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2000

Strengths:    Excellent bike!! BB"s incredible. great shifters and deraller.

Weaknesses:    should've came with good front shocks

Bottom Line:
This bike is Awsome!!! It has never given up on me!! I ride everywhere and anywhere possible, the frame is the strongest I've ever had, and its still good. the BB's r the only original part left on the bike, because I got a suspension fork and better/stronger DH rims.

If u ever need a bike to play around on, and do extreem stuff on... this is your bike!! for the price it's the best buy for the amount of quality u get.

buy it NOW!!!

Purchased At:   C.O.P (bought used)

Similar Products Used:   None compare in any catigory

Bike Setup:   Big mamath DH front back rims, original BB's, race face North Shore Cracks, 97 Indy c fork and Lx rear and front. plus risers

Submitted by Carlos a Weekend Warrior from San Antonio, TX

Date Reviewed: August 12, 1999

Strengths:
Solid bike

Weaknesses:

Bottom Line:
Bought this bike a year ago and I'm very pleased with the product. I recommended the bike to a friend and we have been ripping up the trails ever sense. Extremely capable bike for the money. All components have held up well. I give this my highest rating.

1 Year

1998 Rocky Mountain, Fusion

Submitted by Jon Mutch a cross-country rider from Winnipeg, Man

Date Reviewed: October 12, 1998

Bottom Line:

I just bought my new R.m.Fusion and got it for a great price! It has performed flawless since i have got it. I have rode a hammer race before and it was good too, but the fusion is a better bike for the money, especially if you only pay 700$ for it. I found the indy s shocks a little stiff though, i may upgrade latter, anyway great bike!

Submitted by K Mason a cross-country rider from Vancouver, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 7, 1998

Bottom Line:

The Fusion is a good all round middle of the road bike. Although a tad heavy @ 27 pounds stock, the bike is solid and has the classic well designed Rocky geometry, which makes it a pleasure to ride. If you're like me and seen your Rocky Equipe, then a Kona Cinder Cone get stolen, the Fusion is a step down, but it keeps up very nicely with the competition. Price and performance make this mid-range cycle worth 5 stars.

Submitted by Leigh a cross-country rider from New Brunswick, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 23, 1998

Bottom Line:

I've been riding mountain bikes for six years but never have i had a bike with suspension, but know that i have one i'll never give it up... Oh, yah my Fusion has the best frame i've had but i can't say that it is the best out there becouse this is the first time that i payed more than $500 for a bike... or in other words have payed for a good bike... I think that this is one of the best bikes for any kind of riding but i only can give it 4 stars becouse after only 2 weeks with it i already twisted the back rim... You won't regret geting a Rocky Mountain...they kick but and they are Canadia : )

Submitted by Paul a weekend warrior from Vancouver, BC

Date Reviewed: April 26, 1998

Bottom Line:

This is the third season for my Fusion, and so far it has been a decent value. I spent $950 in 96, but the price has come down since then. This is my first bike with suspension and I'd never go back to a rigid frame again! The only negative side comes from the fact that I'm 6'4 and 190lbs which causes a fair bit of flex in the frame and forks when going hard. The STX components are OK but not great; the front derailleur is not always precise when shifting, and the rear derailleur occasionally jumps cogs when they are muddy and you are pedalling hard. The brakes are strong enough to lock up the tires but you don't have to worry about flipping over the handle bars. I think Rocky Mountain bikes are great for the money, but next time I'd consider the step up to the Hammer Race to get the better components. Three and a half chilis!

Submitted by den a racer from ontario,canada

Date Reviewed: April 16, 1998

Bottom Line:

this bike really rocks, it has all LX componants a
quadra 21R fork and IRC Mythos XC Slick tires and a
ritchey wheel set. It rides like a charm everywhere.
i have rid it on down hill corse and it flys, but most
of the time i race cross country, and its a mean machine
that loves to leave competators in its dust!!!
Oh yeah and a RACE FACE HANDLEBAR adds a nice touch!

Submitted by den a racer from ontario,canada

Date Reviewed: April 16, 1998

Bottom Line:

this bike really rocks, it has all LX componants a
quadra 21R fork and IRC Mythos XC Slick tires and a
ritchey wheel set. It rides like a charm everywhere.
i have rid it on down hill corse and it flys, but most
of the time i race cross country, and its a mean machine
that loves to leave competators in its dust!!!
Oh yeah and a RACE FACE HANDLEBAR adds a nice touch!

Submitted by Brian Leigh a weekend warrior from Edmonton, Canada

Date Reviewed: March 15, 1998

Bottom Line:

The Rocky Mountain Fusion frame is quite strong and averagely light. With a few upgrades this is a supreme bike! I changed wheels and headset and shocks making my bike really nice(looks and riding control). Rockies rule. I had a Norco before but it doesn't compare to a rocky.Keep up the quality work Rocky Mountain.

Submitted by matty a weekend warrior from beamsville on. CANADA

Date Reviewed: September 26, 1997

Bottom Line:

i love my fusion. i only paid $669 canadian for it to! there is one things
wrong with it and that it the stem (the length is to short) but, i guess thats
normal for my 16.5 frame size. so i just put on a riser and rolled it forward!
i changed the brake levers, too. because the RMB levers were too mushy.
friggin' supa-fly bike at just a kick-ass cost (thats becasuse of the cool bike
shop i bought it from)

Submitted by will obrien a weekend warrior from Montreal, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 6, 1997

Bottom Line:

used to have 96' model. loved it, rode it all the time, incredible buy($), got it stolen....planning on buying oxygen rocky mountain at end of summer..
nobody builds a bike like rocky mountain, nobody...

Submitted by aret a weekend warrior from vancouver, canada

Date Reviewed: July 27, 1997

Bottom Line:

Rocky Mountain is the Ferrari of Bike's.
The frame must be one of the best in the world today.
I have upgraded my component to LX's, and put on a Q 21R.
Its a dream to ride on the north shore trails.

Submitted by jim G a weekend warrior from L.I.N.Y.

Date Reviewed: July 2, 1997

Bottom Line:

Rocky Mountain Soul is a great bike. I agree with other reviews that the frame is stiff, but not dead like the Aluminum bikes. CroMo has feel. My bike is not stock though. It is all LX, Judy XC, Avid 3.0, WTB saddle, Dart/Smoke tires, and ESP 7.0. I put a gianni suspension seatpost so its comfy!I recommend this bike to all.

Submitted by Moron a weekend warrior from New Hamsher

Date Reviewed: May 19, 1997

Bottom Line:

Its great

X-fusion Velvet on a Race-type bike?

Anyone here using an X-fusion Velvet on a race-type bike? Either a hardtail or short travel FS? Can you compare it to any other forks? Is it genuinely a good fork or just the only game in town for a 650b race fork? Is axle to crown such where if I had a hardtail frame made, the frame would work ... Read More »

2 bike trunk mount for a 2010 ford fusion ?

I am looking at buying a 2 bike trunk mount rack. I have a ford fusion. I was looking at the Allen Deluxe. Will those work?Read More »

2010 Frost Bike: X-Fusion-Shox

Here's some products to look forward to! [IMG]http://i930.photobucket.com/albums/ad145/xfusionshox/P1050333.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i930.photobucket.com/albums/ad145/xfusionshox/P1050334.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i930.photobucket.com/albums/ad145/xfusionshox/P1050335.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i930.pho ... Read More »

X-fusion fork review in March BIKE

Just read a short write up in the March BIKE magazine about the X-fusion Velvet R. They liked it pretty well. I think when the external travel adjust model becomes available, it'll be going on my 650b bike...unless Rockshox makes a 650b Reba or something. B-)Read More »

X-fusion Sponsored Ride424.com Team Ready To Pin It In Bc Bike Race

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Ride424.com founder pulls double duty reporting for Cyclingnews.com and Ride424 San Jose, CA - 07.01.07 Team Ride424.com/X-Fusion is ready for the start of the BC Bike Race, also called The Pacific Traverse and was originally known as the Seven ostensibly because it is ... Read More »