Rocky Mountain Equipe Bike Bike 1998 or Older

4.76/5 (21 Reviews)

Rocky Mountain Equipe

Submitted by Arnold Broese a Weekend Warrior from Yandina, Qld. Australia

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2007

Strengths:    This is a nicely finished machine. While it is difficult to consider any mountain bike as refined, it certainly exudes quality.

Weaknesses:    I suppose one can always ask for weight reduction, but I have found no faults with this bike.

Bottom Line:
The bike is mint because I'm not a hard rider, and besides I'm getting old. Still I enjoy flashing down twisty paths through the trees, so it's had fair use. The wheels have been fine, as has the rest of the bike; no problems. She is probably the prettiest 15 year old Equipe around.
Later models may have had different running gear, but what I have is just fine.

Purchased At:   White "Rock" Cycle Canada

Similar Products Used:   Rocky Fusion

Bike Setup:   This is a 1992. No suspension, Green-Tange Prestige Ultimate Light, Shimano Deore DX equipped and XT shifters. Wolber AT15 rims, Richie tires. Logic headset

Submitted by Jon Cooper a Weekend Warrior from Surrey, England

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2003

Strengths:    Beautiful metallic green
Bouncy and predictable ride - great feedback from the steel frame

Weaknesses:    Gripshift gear change very stiff

Bottom Line:
Sold it my brother to buy the RM Vertex TO - wished I had kept it as my second bike.

Would recommend steel to anyone - more involving ride than Alu

Great bike - please bring it back RM...

Favorite Trail:   Ranmore Common, Holmbury st Mary

Purchased At:   Nirvana - second hand

Similar Products Used:   Rocky Mountain Vertex TO

Bike Setup:   Rock shox , XT , Gripshift , Race Face

Submitted by Michael 'The Monkey Boy" Cousins a Cross Country Rider from Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2002

Strengths:    the Equipe is 'da bomb'. It poses no problems no matter how steep you ascend and how fast you descend. The major components like the chain rings, cluster and derailleur have only just been replaced (that is after a few years of thrashing the bike on some pretty nasty tracks in New Zealand), which is testamont of the quality and durability.The frame is a goodie aswell but....

Weaknesses:    ..it is a little on the heavy side. The shocks were OK, but I have replaced them with Z2s.

Bottom Line:
In Canterbury there are heaps of awesome trails some that require a bit of technical expertise. The Equipe handles anything I give it and I will certainly be using it in the Winter series here in New Zealand

Favorite Trail:   Victoria Park, Worsley's Track

Purchased At:   bought 2nd hand from a mate

Bike Setup:   Have raceface chain rings, downhill bars, Z2 shocks (superb!)but everything else pretty stock, mostly using XT components.

Submitted by Jaakko Pohjoismaki a Cross-Country Rider from Tampere, Finland

Date Reviewed: June 7, 1999

Strengths:
agility, rigidness, good climbing ability

Weaknesses:
hardtail, 1kg too heavy,

Bottom Line:
All in all excellent performer, suspension and tyres do much but framegeometry really suits my driving!

more than 3 years

bontrager, breezer (not sure about models) XC-fullsuspensions: foes, breezer, kona

marzocchi bomber Z2, VTB velociraptor tyres, otherwise basic setup.

Submitted by islander a cross-country rider from Vancouver, BC

Date Reviewed: March 30, 1998

Bottom Line:

I held off reviewing this bike ('97) until I have rode it for 6 month and really put it too the test. I ride in the wet, wet west coast and have crashed many time on technical singletrack with the Equipe and I am very happy with how it has stood up. A quality frame that balances tolerance for punishment but its not super heavy (Tange Prestige). The parts picks is great and for $1500 you can't beat the value. Few things on the planet are perfect though and I'm always sceptical of reviews that can't point to at least one imperfection. For this bike its the bottom bracket: its a UN-52 with a plastic cup. I wore this out inside of 5 months of west coast riding and have replaced it with a RaceFace because those folks know how to seal things up right. If you're a weight weeny, you'll likely want to ditch the Lx cassette for an XT.All told, an awesome ride!

Submitted by jason stupnikoff a weekend warrior from Castlegar

Date Reviewed: February 23, 1998

Bottom Line:

Quality bike for the price. The frame is very well constructed for technical rides. Components on the bike havent posed any problems.
Very comfortable bike to ride down steep grades;also, an exellent climbing bike. The sloping top tube design makes this bike easier to be aggresive on rides I would normaly avoid.
This bike almost seems as though it was designed for rides in the Kootenay's.
buy now!!

Submitted by marshall a cross-country rider from albuquerque, nm

Date Reviewed: January 16, 1998

Bottom Line:

i love this bike rides like a dream seems to know what i want to do even when i don't gets me back and forth to work thirty miles round and i still want to ride afterward to me that is saying something about the comfort level of the frame i have had a few problems with some of the parts but that is because i sometimes i ride over my head this bike inspires confidence only problem other than riding ability has been the fact that i've blown up three of the rear lx hubs which were replaced no ?'s overall this bike kicks some serious ass loads of fun when pointed down and climbs very well wohoooo!

Submitted by Marcelin a cross-country rider from Fernie BC Canada

Date Reviewed: December 10, 1997

Bottom Line:

This bike has been a wunderfull toy. I've spent weeks shoping and you can't get any better for $1700 CDN. The guys at rocky realy put togetter a great bike. The crank is responsive, stiff and quiet. I aded a few up grade to suit my needs. Being 6'3' I needed a long seat post so I went with Syncros, change the pedals for the 747 and to top it up I dumped the esp for XT rapid fire! The rear end doesn't bounce around on ruff trails, Yet stiff enough on climbs. I tell ya it's a sweet bike! And you know what, Fernie Sport still has a 15'for $1550 CDN you can't get any better!

Submitted by DAVE ROGERS a cross-country rider from PETERBOROUGH ONTARIO

Date Reviewed: September 4, 1997

Bottom Line:

tHE EQUIPE HANDLES VERY WELL AND IS A VERY ACTIVE BIKE ON AND OFF THE TRAIL!

Submitted by K.B. a cross-country rider from Vancouver, B.C.

Date Reviewed: May 20, 1997

Bottom Line:

This bike is a great deal! I've been riding mine for a month and a half now, and love it! The handling is quick and responsive enough for serious singletracking, yet stable enough not to induce excessive pucker on high-speed descents. The frame is stiff enough even for a 200-pounder like myself, but takes the harshness off the rocky stuff like any quality cro-moly frame.
The component mix is great for a bike in this price range. The Race Face cranks are the best, and you're not gonna find them on any other bikes at this price point. The Judy C is a great deal, and works noticeably better than the Indy line, especially for us heavish dudes. The E.S.P. 7 drivetrain components are just fine so far, although a bit more finicky to get dailed in than XT stuff. The handbuilt wheels are great, the new Ritchey pedals rule, and the saddle and stem set-up fit me perfectly.
The only things that I'll eventually upgrade are the LX bottom bracket (those new Race Face units look sweeeeeet!), the grips (too thin and hard), and maybe the tires (the VRaptors are 1.9's, I like the wider rear ones, and maybe a Team Control front). None of this stuff is urgent though, so I'll just wait 'til it wears out.
Super rig, Rocky guys!

Submitted by Chris Peck a weekend warrior from Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: April 22, 1997

Bottom Line:

Awesome bike. Handling is amazing. Only thing I am not completely sold on is
the grip shifts. All the other components are top notch. Best of all this bike
is CANADIAN made.

Submitted by Steve Foltz a cross-country rider from Portsmouth, VA.

Date Reviewed: April 12, 1997

Bottom Line:

This bike is great. It has the wonderfull ride. My back doesn't get sore because it absorbs the shock great. The parts on it are great. I had the shoop put on an XT cassette and a real Judy instead of the Judy C. My 17.5 weighs under 25.5 on a Acurate scale. I just love the cranks and rings. They in combanation with a well made frame make for great climbing efficency. I do mostly singletrack riding and the bike just loves to dance around and catch air. It's better then the dead feeling aluminum bike. Sure it weighs a bit more but my back thanks me at the end of a long ride or race. It doesn't look that great in the ads but in person it is one great looking bike. All the parts work great and have a reputation for quality (Except the ESP but I know they will replace it if it breaks). The only problem is there arn't any local dealer so I had to mail order the thing. Still that's not the bikes fault. I would give the bike a 4.75 but will pick 5 because I couldn't sleep at night if I gave it a 4. This is one great bike.

Submitted by Mike Lavander a weekend warrior from Canton, MI

Date Reviewed: April 8, 1997

Bottom Line:

Uh, $1395 what!?!?!?!? We sell em for $1250!!!! 97 model!!!! So far Ive built 3 of these, 1 for a friend.
They have the best parts spec for the $$$$$$ that Ive seen for 97. The claimed weight is 24.7 lbs, but my friends 21
weighs 27.6 lbs!!! Of course they weighed a 16 I believe, but 5 doenst add almost 3 lbs!!!! Manufacturer
weight claims are all BS! This bike is highly reccomended!!!

Submitted by Thomas Malmgren a cross-country rider from sweden

Date Reviewed: March 19, 1997

Bottom Line:

The RMB Equipe' is really a sweet ride but i think
that a lot of the original stuff like Grip-shift and the poor
quality sachs chain doesn't really belong on a real mtb like this one.
Still, it rates some really hot chillis.

Submitted by marty mackay from vernon , b.c. , canada

Date Reviewed: March 16, 1997

Bottom Line:

this bike is the best bike in the world